• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Prince of Persia being shown behind closed doors, first details

Zapages

Update on this situation guys:

Rumor has it that Ubi is showing a new teaser trailer for PoP behind closed doors to a select few English speaking journalists... Aside from this I know for a fact that someone has the trailer, but he has yet to share it with the public and has the fully functional demo of AC III... :|

Google Translation of the source:

PR department of the French publisher Ubisoft made a serious blunders: journalists accidentally showed footage from the teaser clip of the new game in the universe of Prince of Persia. However, in an eerie and without any details, but the fact remains that the development of the next game in the popular adventure series is in full swing. In the presented frame, we saw a bald warrior (his face is hidden shadow), armed to the teeth and "packaged" in a strong leather armor.

This story would have ended well, if not in the camp of Ubisoft showed someone with a very long tongue. The source within the company, said that the announcement of the new Prince of Persia was to be held behind closed doors and only for a select group of English-language press. Now the publisher is in a difficult position: to work as originally planned, will not work - fans of the series will eat with giblets. So it seems to be a full-blown announcement is still to take place.

And now a couple of parts. First, the next Prince of Persia will not have any relation to the previous series. None of the successful trilogy, nor to the secondary and boring Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands. If you remember, the latter was to become the first game of the new trilogy. But the low ratings from critics and sluggish sales have forced Ubisoft to abandon further work on a series of clearly failed. Now we are waiting for something closer in spirit to such TV series as the God of War and even Assassin's Creed. Second, the new release will take place not earlier than the end of next year. According to a source inside the company, publishing barely started working on the game. So that at least half a year to develop them still want it.

Source: http://news.playground.ru/36306/

Someone sent this to me on Twitter, not sure what it could be.

aZDgc.png

cHIBo.png

kXchE.png

Here's the first screen shot of the new PoP Game:

It was originally posted on the official Prince of Persia forums.

HP5tg.jpg

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Update on this situation guys:

Rumor has it that Ubi is showing a new teaser trailer for PoP behind closed doors to a select few English speaking journalists... Aside from this I know for a fact that someone has the trailer, but he has yet to share it with the public and has the fully functional demo of AC III... :|

Google Translation of the source:

Source: http://news.playground.ru/36306/

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. (at that description)

As for a reveal, rumor has it that Ubisoft is releasing a PR with 9 WiiU games after the N-CONF is over. They currently have announced 8 titles. Though Blacklist has already been heavily rumored.

Kinyou

And now a couple of parts. First, the next Prince of Persia will not have any relation to the previous series. None of the successful trilogy, nor to the secondary and boring Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands. If you remember, the latter was to become the first game of the new trilogy. But the low ratings from critics and sluggish sales have forced Ubisoft to abandon further work on a series of clearly failed. Now we are waiting for something closer in spirit to such TV series as the God of War and even Assassin's Creed. Second, the new release will take place not earlier than the end of next year. According to a source inside the company, publishing barely started working on the game. So that at least half a year to develop them still want it.
notcrying2pug5t.gif

Zapages

The problem is that Ubi have been seeing that a lot of their potential buyers are buying more God of War and Assassin's Creed type of games instead of PoP 2008 and PoP TFS... They want to merge them and still have what makes PoP be PoP at the same time. I hope its not like WW though.

Jucksalbe

Banned
And now a couple of parts. First, the next Prince of Persia will not have any relation to the previous series. None of the successful trilogy, nor to the secondary and boring Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

What the hell? That game was great. :(

Derrick01

Banned
What the hell? That game was great. :(

I think mechanically it was the best we've had since Sands of Time but it was such a forgettable and mediocre game. Like I can't recall anything about it at all. It wasn't bad, it just didn't do anything to stand out.

Zapages

There's still a chance it could be a PoP '08 sequel, right?...

I know, let it go...

It says it is going to be reboot of the series.. Imagine a bad Prince that becomes a good and reformed prince after what transpires during the game.... I think this is what Ubi is going for...

i-Lo

I hope that the graphics engine is similar to what we saw in PoP 08. That was a thing of utter beauty. And please bring back Inon Zur for music. To this pay PoP 08 has some of the best sound tracks this gen. has seen/heard.

PoP 08, and Wind Waker - Best looking games of all time. these have timeless designs. just like watching Fantasia, or Casablanca, you can't out-technologize these. they are truly timeless.

PoP 08 should have been an autotelic experience. Had they had an addiciting combat system I would have replayed that game 5-10 times because i would just space out. just zone out, like i was on mushrooms.

they had it. they had some amazing. I mean just look at this: NOTHING LOOKS LIKE THIS. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Finally found it in HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpiHjAaRcVU

FEAST ON THIS UBI EXECUTIVES. The art designer is probably stuck in some cage in a cellar in montreal forced to live off chese and paper scraps containing new designs for turning sam fischer into a middle aged woman on steroids because he is just getting older and older but not quite done, now that his uncles favorite baker is dead and third echelon is a circus. also he is asian and his latest weapon is a hidden blade that shoots other hiden daggers... from space.

Zoibie

It says it is going to be reboot of the series.. Imagine a bad Prince that becomes a good and reformed prince after what transpires during the game.... I think this is what Ubi is going for...

Yeah, don't like that sound of that. Does PoP really need another reboot?

Grisby

I guess they'll never go back to POP 08' or that lovely art style. Give it to me on a handheld at least Ubi (not that DS game either).

Alrus

I just want them to go back to the style of PoP 2008, it's still one of the most gorgeous game of this generation, even if it's lacking in term of gameplay.

Why couldn't they just improve what they had in POP 08? The graphics were so good, and the gameplay had such great potential. :(

HYDE

Banned
I want a new Prince of Persia or Beyond Good and Evil more than I want a new Splinter Cell or Assassin's Creed. Rayman Legends is insanely welcome however...

survivor

Banned
Put me in part of the group that wants another game in the style of PoP 2008. I loved that game despite some flaws in the gameplay.

Good God,

Now we are waiting for something closer in spirit to such TV series as the God of War and even Assassin's Creed.

I kind of agree that Forgotten Sands was boring. Some good platforming, especially towards the end when you unlocked the freeze water power, but the game was a mess with regards to story, pacing, etc.

Trick_GSF

Banned
2008 is truly gone it seems. Pity.

While the game had its flaws, it had serious potential to become a great new start for PoP. Gutted.

PoP '08 aesthetic and story + Forgotten Sands gameplay would be truly amazing.

I'm so tired of dark and gritty.

SO tired...

Auto platforming and non dying isn't coming close. Forgotten Sands came close, just not in wow factor.

I like the non dying mechanic, it made sense that someone with magical powers would be able to save you at points.

As for auto platforming, I completely disagree. It wasn't as it was in past titles, but it still required a certain level of skill, but I do agree that TFS came much closer to matching Sands platforming, especially towards the end.

curttard

Banned
" Now we are waiting for something closer in spirit to such TV series as the God of War and even Assassin's Creed."

Faaaaaantasic :(

Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider were the last remaining vestiges of (mostly) quiet exploration in gorgeous worlds (2 hours of Journey notwithstanding). Nice knowing you! Bring on the gritty mass slaughter.

Jac_Solar

C'mon.. Why do they announce that they are going in a 'GoW'/Assassins Creed' direction? Isn't that somewhat bad P.R even? It makes the game sound like it's going to be a cheap knockoff/wannabe imitator.

In any case, I realise that those games share several gameplay traits, but why wouldn't they, for example, try something unique?

The PoP formula could still be popular/sell well with some decent advertising and an overall good game, so, they could play around a bit and get creative with mechanics, design, systems, etc. - but nope, for some reason, their goal is to make it 'more GoW/Assassins Creed'.
Which, I assume means (Since they mentioned it like that.) = 'Visceral Combat' + 'Open World'. But Prince of Persia Two Thrones is very close to PoP + GoW + Assassins Creed IMO. Very close. It was 'somewhat' open, or atleast non linear, and featured great combat.

Top Bottom