• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) New Splinter Cell in development, Michael Ironside returning as Sam Fisher

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Really? You think?

Blacklist didn't stump me like the original ones did. Read...I remember finishing Blacklist on the hardest difficulty and I never beat an old Splinter Cell on normal.

What did you find so difficult about Blacklist?

There are a lot more enemies and their patterns are more unpredictable. In the old games, they're either really easy to sneak up on or you can just snipe them in the head one-by-one.

Barakov

Gold Member
Ubi open world then. MGSV, a few bases aside, was the blandest open world.

While I loved MGSV, I definitely prefer an Ubisoft open world. They have their issues but at the very least they provide things that will improve your character and not another blueprint for a gun that you will never use.

Oh god yes please, out of all the Ubisoft franchises outside of Rayman this is the one series I've wanted to the see a new installment.

Gaogaogao

mgsv mechanics are so good idgaf about your open world, your story, your voice acting, nothing else matters. thats all gravy.

Javier23

Banned
that game looks nothing like splinter cell or phantom pain
It's nothing like any SC ever, I agree, but it definitely shares A LOT with TPP, with all the open-ended tactical approaches to outposts in the middle of a big open world and all the marking enemies and whatnot. I'm certainly not saying they're identical. But the obvious similarities are there. I say that having spent more than a 100 hours playing MGSV.

Head.spawn

I really hope this is true. Splinter Cell without Ironside was a bit of a letdown. Here's hoping they go back to what made the first set of games great... none of that auto-execute everyone with a button press nonsense.

please be like phantom pain

Ehhhh

etta

my hard graphic balls
Awww yisss, motha fuckin Splinter Cell

13iXbl2NPPTtWE.gif

Phil, put Conviction and Blacklist on Games with Gold backward compatibility, stat!

I like Blacklist's mechanics enough that if they expanded on them and Ironside is back I'd 99.9% welcome back SC with open arms.

.1% because you know they would charge real money for spy upgrades

Long overdue!! Think it's been 3 years since we had a Sam Fisher game...lol. Bring back Syphon Filter while you're at it, Bend Studio.

Open world would be fine, but I'd much prefer it to be mission-based; especially if Ubisoft is making it
(so sick of climbing vantage point towers)
Bring back Spies vs. Mercs. Man, that mode was so fun to play with your buddies.

Please be true. Chaos theory was one of my favorite games on OG Xbox. Coop was simply magical. None of the SC after CT have held up so hopefully this will be a return to form.

Ivan 3414

The series really doesn't need Sam; I have no idea why they keep bringing him back when people just get upset about how he's implemented in game anyway

Please be true. Chaos theory was one of my favorite games on OG Xbox. Coop was simply magical. None of the SC after CT have held up so hopefully this will be a return to form.

You and me both brother. But something tells me that Ubi won't go back to the slow, methodical gameplay that made the original 3 so great.:(

The series really doesn't need Sam; I have no idea why they keep bringing him back when people just get upset about how he's implemented in game anyway

Because Sam Fisher is the most well known mascot from Ubisoft? Those three green lights are a pretty distinctive feature.

What is ACS?

I am excite.
And man, I wish I had the chance to play Blacklist.. Is there any good Let's Play someone could recommend?

jediyoshi

Odd.

Ultimately I had no problems with the new guy. Would've been happy with just a Blacklist 2 at this point, them continuing to reimagine this same character and then doubling back on another element feels a bit clumsy.

CHC

Hey, it's either gonna be MGSV open world or Ubi open world. Choose one.

I mean if I had to pick I would take Ubi. At least there are actual things to do, even if they can be repetitive or banal. MGSV was literally just an empty, lifeless wasteland consisting of only military bases full of guards waiting to be killed. For all the talk about the "battlefield" there is not a lot going on there.

Didn't Ironside sound like he was drunk most of the time in the last game he was in? I love him in Starship Troopers and Total Recall, but didn't think he added much to Sam Fisher personally. Blacklist was a great game without him.

Arklite

Hopefully they don't revert to full Conviction style fluff. Hard to bet on what they'll do. Triple A stealth alone won't light up charts, they don't have the mystique of MGS or RPG factors of Deus Ex, and their action focused approach didn't blast off either.

They might, you never know.

I guess their is always a chance, with the ever-growing success of Rainbow Six Siege-which I would rank somewhere between Vegas and Raven Shield-maybe they'll pull something similar.

But Ubisoft is very aware how alienating a stealth game can be, especially ones that require an abundance of patience.
https://medium.com/@michaelgapper/asymmetric-warfare-9622e5f84185#.j6g4vzbfx

Chaos Theory was an alienating game for the majority of players so for Ubisoft, the solution was clear. “Our number one mandate from the head office was the accessibility,” says Mametz. “We presented our first prototype to the Paris head office and it wasn’t accepted because it was very much a direct successor to Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory. It was still very difficult to ‘enter’ the game if you are not initiated with both sides.

bunkitz

Ooh, cool! Really hope this is true, especially for the long-time Splinter Cell fans. I'm not one of them, but I did love Blacklist so I'm looking forward to a new Splinter Cell game. I've never heard of Ironside's work, but I understand why the fans value his work and love him so much, so I'm happy for them!

I mean if I had to pick I would take Ubi. At least there are actual things to do, even if they can be repetitive or banal. MGSV was literally just an empty, lifeless wasteland consisting of only military bases full of guards waiting to be killed. For all the talk about the "battlefield" there is not a lot going on there.
Would SC be any different? Most SC levels are infiltrating bases full of enemies. Unless this SC is set in a populated city.

Luckydog

Fisher? I was hoping they would restart with an actually interesting character for once.

Let's see where this lands, with MGSV out there stealth games will be really hard to match that quality of infiltration.

Wow, that's great. You are not a SC fan. No. Worries I just hope they don't take your advice. I love splinter cell. And I hope they keep up the good work.

Ivan 3414

Because Sam Fisher is the most well known mascot from Ubisoft? Those three green lights are a pretty distinctive feature.

Those three green lights aren't exclusive to Sam Fisher canonically and very, very few developers in 2016 have a mascot. Ubisoft isn't one of them. And if they did have any Sam Fisher wouldn't be one of them.

Awesome can't wait to see what they're doing liked the gameplay of blacklist in the campaign and coop. Didn't really like the story and the VA just didn't fit Sam Fisher especially at that age.

Top Bottom