• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) New Splinter Cell in development, Michael Ironside returning as Sam Fisher

Ok so as some on this forum would know based on my post history, I have pretty reliable contacts about projects and stuff at Ubi. One of them dropped some WD2 and ACS info earlier in the year that the Nirolak can vouch for. This source informed me that there is a new Splinter Cell game in development, with Ironside recast as Sam Fisher. In an excerpt of their own words.

Hoping for a VGA announcement at the earliest.

UPDATE:

Might be cooking for a bit longer than expected.

Now just remaster Blacklist with Ironside VO in it... Getting rid of Ironside only makes sense with a full story reboot which they did not do.

Alias03

We should bug the hell outta ubisoft for a Remastered Blacklist in the mean time. Really loved the game technical hurdles aside. Would really shine on ps4/Xone I think.

I want linear, super tightly designed levels that have branching paths, tons of interactive elements and objects, and high difficulty!

Basically I want chaos theory style levels but with the hitman reboot open ended mission design.

Please don't be VR.
Please don't be multi-player only (R6)
Please don't be open world MMO style (Division)
Please go back to the stealth roots of the original SC
All of this.

I'd kill for another stab at what Blacklist was doing - only with less forced combat scenarios and more benefits to playing non-lethal and especially ghosting. Keep the side mission idea going so we can have 100% pure stealth required missions, co-op and horde modes, with more to come as DLC.

And while I'm wishing, I'd also love to see a single-player/co-op Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon too. Rainbow Six has the right feel and is just missing a replayable campaign mode, while Wildlands sounds great on paper, but in execution it looks like Just Cause meets GTAO.

This gen has sucked for single player and co-op tactical shooters.

Okay guys, I'll give Blacklist another shot.
360 version ran like poop for me.
Good call. 360 version played fine for me at the time, except for stuttering and framerate issues during cut-scenes, and maybe some long load times. Been too damn long since I've played it though.

Was the Wii U version of Blacklist any good? I had the 360 version and loved it, but kinda wanna double dip if it's different enough, or even just the same for a second playthrough.

I don't need Ironside or Fisher in order to consider the game a true Splinter Cell, but I'd sure as hell appreciate his presence and dark humor, even if as an NPC.

Blacklist fucked up calling that new guy Fisher.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I want linear, super tightly designed levels that have branching paths, tons of interactive elements and objects, and high difficulty!

Basically I want chaos theory style levels but with the hitman reboot open ended mission design.

You're going to get a game that's basically Metal Gear Solid V, but by Ubisoft to eat up that 6+ million audience plus all the other people an actually functional publisher can reach.

Aces&Eights

Lawd, Sam and Ironside are my chocolate and peanut butter. I really enjoyed Blacklist but not having him voice one of my all time favorite video game characters was a big let down. I just love his voice.

I could handle losing Hayter in MGS but Sam, just no.

If they make some current gen Chaos Theory/Blacklist hybrid and Ironside is back I'm going to lose my damn mind.

You're going to get a game that's basically Metal Gear Solid V, but by Ubisoft to eat up that 6+ million audience plus all the other people an actually functional publisher can reach.

La-la-la I can't hear you.....

I wouldn't mind something entirely new. Still heavily stealth based of course. I kind of want to see first person splinter cell. Hell, do it like deus ex human revolution with third person in cover. I loved that system too. I also liked how dishonored did first person stealth.

I feel like the thing that sets splinter cell apart from the aforementioned are the gadgets that center around stealth, observation, and distraction, and silent take downs. I remember one of the coolest gadgets was being able to EMP a light source for a short duration.

RedSwirl

Is Blacklist a sequel like Thief Deadly Shadows -> Thi4f | Hitman Blood Money -> Absolution?

The only reason I haven't tried it is because Conviction was a far cry from what I loved about the series. Blacklist looks like it continues the "modernization" trend where new sequels borrow some elements from a series but add in QTEs, cinematic junk and "dumbed down" mechanics.

Edit: Thanks for the reply! I'll pick it up on sale.

Blacklist reuses the fundamental controls and systems of Conviction, but its level design is more open-ended and focused on player choice. It still doesn't feel like Chaos Theory or Thief or anything because you spend more time climbing and jumping around than interacting with environments on a deep level. The important part though is that Blacklist gives players a lot more options compared to Conviction.

It's a pretty good direction for the series, but personally not my ideal one overall.

Fury451

Banned
:O

This would be amazing. I loved Blacklist, but the new VO was terrible (not his performance as that was good, just the fit of Sam being chronologically as old as he's ever been but sounding like he was 30). If all they did was record Ironside for a DLC voice package for that game I would be happy enough, but a new game in the same amazing style of Blacklist would be an absolute dream come true.

jelly

Iconic goggles.

Works this time right?

So, as some people have said Ubisoft are all about online, open world etc. Well, shit but I'll give it a chance.

I hope they keep the Ironside humour, loved the chatter.

RedSwirl

This is great news if true. As much as I loved SCCT, I hope they take some elements from Blacklist and apply it to this new game, loved the combat system, thought it was great.

PS: Bring back Amon Tobin.

This is probably what I would settle for.

Make the environments feel more like Chaos Theory missions but bigger, and give Sam (or whoever the player character is) the range of movement he has in Blacklist.

Actually, looking back, the levels in neither Chaos Theory nor Blacklist are truly "sandbox." Basically all the levels between the two games are pretty linear, but they offer players lots of choice in how to deal with individual areas and situations. The most "sandbox" level between the two games was the bank in Chaos Theory. That "wide linear" design is what you had in Thief (most of the time) and even GoldenEye. Crysis 1 was probably the most evolved style of that design.

I think this is why some people are suggesting a more MGSV influence, because the missions in that game actually do operate like sandboxes. Most of them are just "here is the place, here are the objectives, figure out your own way to do them." That's my personal ideal for stealth games. The MGSV levels that were more linear again followed the wide linear style of design. Missions like "Angel With Broken Wings" and "Skull Face" are probably the ideal to reach if a new Splinter Cell were to continue in Blacklist's footsteps.

Simo

You know I just remembered: Didn't Ubi reaffirm they are making the long delayed Splinter Cell movie with Tom Hardy? Seems like a rebirth of the franchise would benefit with the movie's release? Bring it back into the public's eye?

I say this because I have no memory of Blacklist or its release but remember Conviction. lol

KDC720

As much as I missed Ironside in Blacklist, Conviction was such a good send off for both Ironside and Sam that I kinda wish they would just move onto a new character.

Still hyped for more Splinter Cell either way.

Blacklist reuses the fundamental controls and systems of Conviction, but its level design is more open-ended and focused on player choice. It still doesn't feel like Chaos Theory or Thief or anything because you spend more time climbing and jumping around than interacting with environments on a deep level. The important part though is that Blacklist gives players a lot more options compared to Conviction.

It's a pretty good direction for the series, but personally not my ideal one overall.

I see. Not a big fan of how it sounds, but Still gonna give it a shot, thanks

UrbanRats

If they don't put Ironside/Sam in the role of the old mentor you don't control, they're crazy.
Maybe make the new MC a woman or a minority (Briggs, though he didn't have that much charisma) to get some good-will points, too.

Having Ironside run around at 60 is just ridiculous.

Sober

Blacklist levels are pretty classic SC.

Everyone forgets or doesn't realize CT is an exception, because of Hocking. And even then it's really only a few standout levels like Bank, Office, Hokkaido, Bath which are the exception to the rule. If you look at the rest of the levels in the series as a whole, they are fairly linear which has always been SC's style. Large hallways leading into larger atriums that have multiple paths but push you forward. The series has never been about huge sandbox areas. If anything, the ghost (and to some extent panther) side missions in Blacklist are probably the closest to Hocking/CT-era "sandboxes" that let you tackle objectives in any order.

So it's not like it can't be done but the series at a level-based story game were always generally linear. A mix of both is probably healthier anyway. Blacklist did prove another team could do it right. Which means I hope most of the same people are working on it now.

I think the only thing you are right about is that there isn't too much to interact with in the levels but I'm guessing you mean stuff like hacking computers and security systems from the old-old days which I admit I kinda miss too (and really only Deus Ex still does atm)

I for one would love huge MGS:GZ/Hitman:Blood Money/Hitman2016 style areas but I also like how the series has done linear levels. I don't know how I would feel about just a flat out open world though.

Davide

Blacklist went into my backlog in 2013 and I haven't gotten into it since. I really hope I could but it's difficult being a PS3 game. Is it any better on 360? Or even the Wii U version?

The only thing that's awful in Blacklist was that first person section with Briggs. He's a good character, can be developed further in the footsteps of Fisher with some mechanical changes (narrative wise, he's a spotter so something along those lines...) compared to Fisher, than an entire view perspective change. Has the potential to end up as Fisher's Raiden (confidant / second-in-command) in the future games.

Edit - Oh, and playstyles of panther & assault without forcing ghosting, of course but that's an entire debate generally in itself, for whether to end up catering only to the original SC fanbase.

I really wish they bring back the light and sound meter. It quantifies your visibility along with the sound you are creating versus ambient sound. So instead of guessing "I hope my sound is muffled" or "am I sufficiently in the shadows?" you can look at a meter. Less 'guessing and checking' and more stalking.

I really wish they bring back the light and sound meter. It quantifies your visibility along with the sound you are creating versus ambient sound. So instead of guessing "I hope my sound is muffled" or "am I sufficiently in the shadows?" you can look at a meter. Less 'guessing and checking' and more stalking.
I'd love to have sound brought back as a bigger aspect of stealth in the next game, as long as I don't end up walking through levels one inch at a time. Maybe two different crouch walk speeds could account for it.

But in terms of light, I'm pretty sure you could tell how hidden you were in Blacklist from the lights on your gear.

Edit - Oh, and playstyles of panther & assault without forcing ghosting, of course but that's an entire debate generally in itself, for whether to end up catering only to the original SC fanbase.
I thought they handled that pretty well in Blacklist giving you the ability to choose each style for the most part, but with sections that were more about each style in isolation.

And the game included side ops tailored to ghosting too.

Liamario

Banned
Despite looking about 30 in Blacklist, Sam Fisher is actually 59 years old.

Ironside is 66, so his voice is perfect for old man Sam.

He was 47 in the first game. There's nothing to suggest that he ages with the games. He clearly looks around that age (47) and to suggest that he was nearly 60 years old in Blacklist is laughable.

Davide

He was 47 in the first game. There's nothing to suggest that he ages with the games. He clearly looks around that age (47) and to suggest that he was nearly 60 years old in Blacklist is laughable.

The first game was set in 2004 and Blacklist in 2012, meaning in Blacklist he was 55. To suggest that he is ageless is laughable.

The first game was set in 2004 and Blacklist in 2012, meaning in Blacklist he was 55. To suggest that he is ageless is laughable.

He sure as hell isn't portrayed as older in Blacklist.

Pandora Tomorrow
FeaturedImage-splinter-cell-pandora-tomorrow.jpg

Blacklist
large.jpg

Demoskinos

Don't care. Ironside's performance the last time he portrayed Sam fisher sounded like he was drunk the entire time he did the VO. Honestly I feel Splinter Cell could benefit from scrapping the entire series and doing a reboot.

New Sam. New stories. New fiction. Just entirely rebuild the brand.

I honestly don't need Ironside and Sam to enjoy Splinter Cell. They could have just had him be the Big Boss of the series, and give us a new Solid Snake. Though I didn't think the guy in Blacklist was great... but I love Blacklist. One of the best stealth games of all-time, superseded only by MGSV.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I feel like they need to go back and cover sam's early days cause the series started when he was already in his 40s and keeps progressing forward, by now someone in his expertise should be looking real hard at retirement or at least a spy job that involves more undercover work

Terribly sorry for bumping this.

But what to play:

Conviction or Blacklist ? Never really played a Splinter Cell game, are they self contained, story wise? There is a sale on GMG

demolitio

I still feel like Fisher will eventually be put in the Lambert role with a new operative being the player's character. That way they can still give us the Ironside Fisher that's full of sarcasm while continuing to move on.

I hope we get Sam Fisher as the main character forever but I'm prepared for anything else at this point.

But what to play:

Conviction or Blacklist ? Never really played a Splinter Cell game, are they self contained, story wise? There is a sale on GMG

Self-contained with Blacklist being the more conventional SC game that corrected a lot of the mistakes from Conviction. I mean, there's some Conviction connections in Blacklist but nothing you would miss if you can only get one of the 2 games since Blacklist is better.

But what to play:

Blacklist is probably a good place to start, and is excellent. However, if you're OK with a slower, more deliberate pace, Chaos Theory is still one of the greatest stealth games of all time, in my mind only bested by the first two Thief games.

Conviction... isn't great. It's not terrible like many people say, but it has no business being called a Splinter Cell game. It's co-op campaign is really good fun, better than Blacklist's co-op missions.

KDC720

But what to play:

I would say Blacklist is a good jumping in point. Conviction was kind of different in tone and style, and it really works best if you have played the other games.

That being said, I would recommend playing the older games if you can.

SilentRob

Well, Phantom Pain is the best Stealth Game of all time so that sounds amazing!
Chaos Theory is second.

But what to play:

Go with Blacklist. It's the second best game of the series after Chaos Theory and still totally holds up. Story and Characters are lame, but gameplay is up there. It basically took some of the action Conviction brought in and put it into the context of the more classic stealth experiences of the first three games. Works out great.

You should really play Chaos Theory though :p

Great news. Ironside IS Sam Fisher. I liked Blacklist, but the new guy sounded like a douche.

Blacklist was excellent and am I the only person that didn't mind the new guy voicing Fisher?

Yes.

But you shouldn't mind that. I'm the only SC hardcore fan that likes Conviction LOL.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

But what to play:

I loved Conviction and think that it's easily the better game between the two in my opinion. The faster pace fits in well with the story and premise of the game. For me personally, Conviction was a 9/10 and Blacklist was a 7/10. I simply didn't enjoy Blacklist as much as I did Conviction.

RoguePope

Banned
I couldn't get into the campaign of blacklist, mainly because they replaced Ironside, but also because the gameplay detracted from everything that made the first three so amazing and even Double Agent to a lesser extent. Chaos Theory still, to this day, is one of the best campaign experiences for me.

But even if they still go the way of Conviction and Blacklist in terms of gameplay elements, I'm still hyped as all hell for even the possibility of the return of the goat multiplayer that is spys vs mercs.

Ivan 3414

Blacklist was excellent and am I the only person that didn't mind the new guy voicing Fisher?

I don't care about the characterizations and story of Splinter Cell at all; Ironside's golden goose voice was never able to make the writing and plot not mediocre and uninteresting.

Top Bottom