• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) New Splinter Cell in development, Michael Ironside returning as Sam Fisher

I don't care about the characterizations and story of Splinter Cell at all; Ironside's golden goose voice was never able to make the writing and plot not mediocre and uninteresting.

That's what I really liked about it. It was a really enjoyable game with an incredibly straight-to-dvd story. Guilty pleasure stuff, the video game equivalent of that Nicholas Cage movie, National Treasure.

Sorry for the bump but I am still frustrated...

What do I have to do to get a proper sequel??

I was certain it was going to be announced at MS or UBI this year.. UBI pretty much went through all their ips... It was time for Sam to return and wow everyone.. Yet they focus on other ips that all share a common theme...

Freaking Multiplayer!!! (Even Beyond 2 seems to have co-op, etc) I heard a rumour a while ago that UBI was going to invest heavily in Multi Game.. (ghost recon, rainbow, crew, etc). Yet we have AC which I don't think is multi????

I still think we live in a world where a stealth game can shine next to multiplayer games.. hell, am sure a multi stealth aspect can be thrown in as well... why the lack of love??

Feelings gaf??

Jawmuncher

Fully expect this to be Ubi's take on MGSV. Yeah Ghost Recon was kinda that. But there's enough difference they can do in these styles.

I have seen their "We are Ubisoft" thingie on Facebook. While I believe it doesn't mean they are working on a new game, they can't play with my emotions like that!!

zoodoo

I wouldn't mind the game game going into a different direction while keeping the Blacklist gameplay. Maybe open world or the division but stealth.

i dont think splinter cell can be successful in the same format they used to have.

When people realise this is an old thread...

my comment is still valid.

OldMuffin

They also made this change on the Call of Juarez page today. Wouldn't take it as an indication of anything. Just seems like a coordinated social media thing.
Just did a quick check and other than Ubisoft mobile I can't really find any other pages that changed their profile pic. Assassins creed, rainbow six and the division are all using the regular pic. So maybe this is some mobile thing?

It's a bumped thread and all but really my only actual complaint about Blacklist was the lack of Ironside. Otherwise it still holds up pretty dam well even now.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
God damn bump. But hey, maybe it means they're far into development!

I'd be happy if we get back the anti-jingoist feel of the older games, and Fisher becomes a character again rather than generic protagonist man.

With Blacklist's ending, where 10 countries supported the big evil terrorist organization and American Ashes maybe not taking place yet, I think we're going way further down into that hole.

kpaadet

Hopefully they will also go back to the earlier Splinter Cells games and make this new game slower and focus more on sound and light as a pose to the mark and execute mechanic. I liked Blacklist fine but it's no Chaos Theory.

Edit: old bump :(

Deadstar

Bring back the Chaos Theory multiplayer where you could grab a spy and talk to him. The spy's teamate couldn't hear you but the merc could hear the spy screaming and the spy could hear his own teamate.

Hated Blacklist only got like 3h into it. It only took place in broad daylight i want that night and slowly picking of the lights around the area. Meh not gonna pick it up if it's to bright/actiony

Ivan 3414

I'm always game for a new Splinter Cell; definitely one of my favorite series.

But the game really doesn't need Ironside; he's wanted to quit the series at least twice. Just make a new protagonist and move on.

Edit: Shit, didn't see that this was an old thread I already posted in lmao

I'm hoping for them to be more inspired by the new Hitman, honestly.
Episodic with large, intricate levels and all kinds of objectives? Yeah, if it was done in the style of Hitman I'd be more than OK with that. Just not the social stealth angle - though a little of that could be fine.

legacyzero

Banned
Just give me a Splinter Cell game in the vein of Siege. I single player campaign, and Spies Vs Mercs alllll day errrrrry day.

Fluloco

My heart fucking jumped when I saw this thread bumped.

Please, give us another Splinter Cell. Take a look at how Hitman went from linear levels (Absolution) to huge levels (2016) and recovered it's original essence. More levels like the Bank in Panama, and less like Conviction (I love Blacklist, but that's still too linear).

They also made this change on the Call of Juarez page today. Wouldn't take it as an indication of anything. Just seems like a coordinated social media thing.

Ubisoft better make CoJ: Gunslinger 2! the wild west is one of the few settings that they don't have an open world game set in it.

Alias03

It's a bumped thread and all but really my only actual complaint about Blacklist was the lack of Ironside. Otherwise it still holds up pretty dam well even now.

I agree, love the gameplay and for the most part the story of blacklist. My idea for Ironside would've been to have him play Sam Fisher, but in a support role like Lambert from the originals. You play as a different character and towards the end of the game you get caught and Sam (now the player character) has to go get him. Always thought that would be fitting to please Ironside fans and also introduce new blood.

eso76

Didn't someone at ubi say they had started pre-production or something a few months ago ?
Anyway, was something like "yeah, we haven't forgotten about splinter cell, I know you guys want it" and then made it sound like it was still a ways off.

cackhyena

Didn't someone at ubi say they had started pre-production or something a few months ago ?
Anyway, was something like "yeah, we haven't forgotten about splinter cell, I know you guys want it" and then made it sound like it was still a ways off.
Which bums me out. It's already been too long for my tastes. I don't wanna wait until 2019 or whatever.

eso76

Which bums me out. It's already been too long for my tastes. I don't wanna wait until 2019 or whatever.

I don't think you will have to wait till 2019.
In fact it's probably more like 2020 at the absolute earliest:

Found Yves quote:

“What we can say is we’re receiving a lot of sketches and proposals around the brand and we’re going to pick one up. I think you will be able to see something, but you will have to wait for that.”

That wasn't 2 years ago, that was on June 28, 2017, so it's unlikely the game is even in preproduction at this point.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/ubisoft-plans-develop-new-splinter-cell-game/

Top Bottom