• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Wii U controller (analog sticks)?

Lol random at that koala face N64

Whoa that new design controller looks amazing :D , never actually noticed the sticks before, those old ones looked uncomfy.

These new sticks look great .

Grrrrrr E3 be tomorrow :(

Shiggy

A few Wii U threads ago Shiggy posted pics that showed the original concept and the E3 concept. Looks like the original won.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35468866&postcount=10922

1hwxx0.jpg

I just got it wrong. I just took a look at the OAMI database again, and based on other registrations (e.g. for the CC, Wii Remote, 3DS) I think it was always a newer iteration.

I still really want to get this thing in my hands before I make a verdict on it. I've heard it's light enough, and that it's comfortable to hold - but there's still a part of my brain that doesn't understand how I'll be able to play Smash Bros on one.

Also, the grey square under the d-pad - what is it? Vitality sensor? Fingerprint scanner? NFC reader? Irrelevant design element?

I still really want to get this thing in my hands before I make a verdict on it. I've heard it's light enough, and that it's comfortable to hold - but there's still a part of my brain that doesn't understand how I'll be able to play Smash Bros on one.

Also, the grey square under the d-pad - what is it? Vitality sensor? Fingerprint scanner? NFC reader? Irrelevant design element?
NFC seems likely.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This news pleases me.

It will be interesting to see if it will please those who denounced the sticks in previous discussions.

-KRS-

Yeah it has to be something. Most logical would probably be the NFC reader, but I have no idea if they usually look like that on other devices.

SykoTech

I thought this was confirmed a while ago, but nice to see anyway. Sliders/circle pads are garbage. Kinda sad that we're celebrating a move that should have been obvious from the first place, but nice to know that Nintendo listened and fixed it.

That thing still looks massive.

Yeah, still not a fan of the size at all.

one_kill

I hope the Classic Controller Pro will work and be supported while the Wii U is in production. I'm not so sure about how high the sticks are in regard to my hands.

Poyunch

If that were the NFC scanner, it makes the Rayman Legends trailer kind of hilarious. That is, if the NFC range isn't that powerful.

If that were the NFC scanner, it makes the Rayman Legends trailer kind of hilarious. That is, if the NFC range isn't that powerful.

The Rayman trailer wasn't even really using NFC, though.
It was just showing a "Hey, we can do this".
Though, it's likely that the NFC will work on most of the controller anyway.

Nibel

Rayman Legends trailer was a internal video which showed some concepts - nothing final or how it really works

Orayn

I hope the Classic Controller Pro will work and be supported while the Wii U is in production. I'm not so sure about how high the sticks are in regard to my hands.

Seems like it would be easy enough to make the controls work on either device. The only problem would be analog triggers, which the UPad has apparently gained but the CCPro lacks.

KillGore

Think Skylanders, or Google Wallet. Put shit on the NFC space, stuff happens.

Near Field Communication.

Near-field communication. It's a wireless protocol that would allow the controller to talk to incredibly small, thin "tags" in things like magazines, toys, and other objects.

Thanks for the response guys. So it's not the screen itself that does it then? it's that little square? So it still works if you place the object on scree, right? like the Rayman trailer?

Edit: Weird how the Rayman trailer has the older controller. Isn't that trailer suppose to be shown at E3? They will be showing off old controller and Nintendo the new one? lol

jett

D-Member
I wonder how many hours of gameplay will the battery hold on that huge bitch. My DS3 barely lasts a dozen hours before asking to be recharged.

Thanks for the response guys. So it's not the screen itself that does it then? it's that little square? So it still works if you place the object on scree, right? like the Rayman trailer?

Rayman trailer used the E3 2011 pad wich propably didn't have nfc and was only used to show the possibility of nfc. I would not want to put figurines or other stuff on my screen. It makes sense to be the "nfc spot".

Dorfdad

Gold Member
This was one of my 3 biggest issues with the console holding back my excitement! NUBS suck Sticks Rock.. Now we have to see if there clickable (will level the playing field with 360 and ps3 COD etc types of games for the most part)

This was one of my 3 biggest issues with the console holding back my excitement! NUBS suck Sticks Rock.. Now we have to see if there clickable (will level the playing field with 360 and ps3 COD etc types of games for the most part)

They are.
And the triggers are likely analog as well.

What if they used the NFC logo on the square?

NFC-N-Mark-Logo.png

That is an awesome logo for something we never really see.

1-D_FTW

I wonder how many hours of gameplay will the battery hold on that huge bitch. My DS3 barely lasts a dozen hours before asking to be recharged.

It's a low tech screen (and no CPU/GPU) with lots of space for batteries. If Nintendo doesn't cheap out, it has the space for a huge battery life.

Sadist

An insider says the sticks are clickable.

MisterHero

The only reason I don't think it might not be NFC is because it's thumb accessible (I'd have to hold the thing to be sure though)

Oddduck

John Harker says they are clickable so hopefully that's true.

KillGore

You guys still think the console will only support 1 Wii U controller? that's pretty disappointing in my opinion. I hope Nintendo makes a great online experience on the console, so I can play with others that have the Wii U controller.

Edit: Is the controller using bluetooth?

Top Bottom