• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Wii U controller (analog sticks)?

That's gone too. See the quoted post.

The shelf is still there according to the patent diagrams.
6qqyi9.jpg

Instro

Any proof of this? This would remove all my concerns about the controller. The triggers need to be analog for certain games to work well.

I believe it may have been confirmed by one of the devs that post in the WiiU thread. New patent images seem to indicate the change as well I think.

Hiltz

I was wondering the same thing...

Anyway, I really like the new design, though I wonder why they placed the analog sticks above the dpad and face buttons? It seems a little uncomfortable/awkward.

Yes. A lot of people have been wondering about that. Although, based on E3 2011 hands-on impressions, it doesn't seem like anyone had any real problem with it.

Shiggy

There wasn't a demostration with two Wii U pads simultaneously. The info was at documents NoE's representatives and distributors got at the meeting last August.

But the demonstration indeed had wireless controllers.

Thanks for clarifaction! It's been a long time, please forgive me ;)

-KRS-

I was wondering the same thing...

Anyway, I really like the new design, though I wonder why they placed the analog sticks above the dpad and face buttons? It seems a little uncomfortable/awkward.

I dont think it's that weird for the left one at least. It's been like that since the Xbox and Gamecube. Both have the left stick over the d-pad. But yeah it might feel a bit awkward to use the face buttons if you have to bend your thumb down to reach them. Or maybe it's just as awkward as bending your thumb down to reach the right stick on the 360 controller, which is not awkward at all.

Roo

though they might be able to stream to 4 if they don't push the system power at all, like in a really basic game a la "Measure Up" from their tech demos.

What's the point of having super expensive controllers if you only use them for things like this?

Two Wii U controllers working at the same time it's all they need.

Somnid

Guys NFC as the name implies means that the communication is short range. The benefit of NFC is it shows intent (this object was intentionally close to that object) and this provides a sense of security as well.

NFC doesn't cover the surface of a device, it's typically a small point and NFC communication functions within about 5 centimeters of that point. Industrial NFC scanners typically have a wider field to accommodate for various devices. In a device as large as the Wii U remote it will have a designated and marked contact point. This is why the drawn square is likely that point.

Newer tablets (especially those in the Windows 8 family where it's required) will have an indicator of the NFC point-of-contact.

Gaogaogao

they brought the sticks closer to the d pad and buttons, should make people happy.

edges are also rounder, looks more comfortable.

Any proof of this? This would remove all my concerns about the controller. The triggers need to be analog for certain games to work well.

Tangible proof? No. Just something we were told last year.

So from what we've been told the controller will have clickable sticks and analog triggers. And now clear confirmation that it changed to sticks instead of pads.

Yes! Really happy about the controller look and stick.

Hopefully the back looks like this:
2yelan.jpg

It does. That was a part of the changes.

I'm guessing that guy is getting fired for this.

Doubt it. This could also have been done purposely to listen to more feedback before it's mass produced. If only they did this for the 3DS early on.

I'm starting to get excited and very eager to see actual Wii U games running on it.

Coolwhip

Banned
A good change if true. If Nintendo wants to stand a chance at winning over COD fans they need standard controls. So do we know what the little square under the d-pad is yet?

AndTAR

Not enough speculation on that square beneath the d-pad. My conservative guess says it's the NFC contact point but it's certainly odd.

NFC contact point sounds plausible, though the leaked Rayman video showed NFC figurines being placed on the screen area itself. Could be that it was filmed before Ubisoft had actual NFC-enabled dev kits, of course.

My only other guess would be some sort of capacitive touch pad area. Would be bad for FPS games though, viewpoint control on left side is weird.

KillGore

TBH, I dont care if it supports more than 1 Upad because it will more than likely only be me playing this system in my house, no multiplayer either. Except for online. If I was for playing this system with other people it would be the usual session of taking turns, so 1 Upad is enough for that!

That's why Nintendo needs to get their act together for online play, and not repeat something like Brawl's online. Super smash is a very important multiplayer game, and it's probably the only one that'll make me sad to not be able to play in local multiplayer.

A good change if true. If Nintendo wants to stand a chance at winning over COD fans they need standard controls. So do we know what the little square under the d-pad is yet?

NFC it seems.
That's why Nintendo needs to get their act together for online play, and not repeat something like Brawl's online. Super smash is a very important multiplayer game, and it's probably the only one that'll make me sad to not be able to play in local multiplayer.

They are already so far past that monstrosity that was SSBB's online.
Just look at a game from the same studio, Kid Icarus.
It's online is extremely well done.

NFC contact point sounds plausible, though the leaked Rayman video showed NFC figurines being placed on the screen area itself. Could have been made before they actually had NFC-enabled units, of course.

I really doubt the screen would be the nfc point, yeah looked cool but its just asking for damage

Terrell

I said it in the speculation thread and I will say it here, too...

I'm probably the only man here mourning the loss of slide pads.

But if it appeases those of you allergic to change, so be it, I suppose.

Can't say I dislike the rest of the changes made to it, though.

1-D_FTW

Doubt it. This could also have been done purposely to listen to more feedback before it's mass produced. If only they did this for the 3DS early on.

I'm starting to get excited and very eager to see actual Wii U games running on it.

He worked QA at TT games. And the link has been removed. It was most definitely not authorized and he most likely is fired.

It's not allergic to unknown change. The 3DS has shown what it is. And it's inferior. Change for changes sake doesn't make something better.

Somnid

NFC contact point sounds plausible, though the leaked Rayman video showed NFC figurines being placed on the screen area itself. Could have been made before they actually had NFC-enabled units, of course.

I think the Rayman stuff was representative and used an older dev kit. Probably not useful to gauge. Also, I figure it would make sense to move the point off the screen lest children scratch it by hard tapping figurines with sharp edges..

Well if he don't get sacked we'll know it was a Nintendo sanctioned intentional leak

sliders are for the worse. It wouldn't be an improvement imo.
Don't mind change

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Thanks for clarifaction! It's been a long time, please forgive me ;)

I double-checked to be sure.

"So far we know for sure that can be simultaneously connected 4 Wii Remote Plus, or at least 2 WiiU controllers (but not learned if they can be linked together, ie 4 Wii Remote Plus and 2 WiiU controllers at the same time)."

"We played wireless, so yes, it had battery inside."

KillGore

They are already so far past that monstrosity that was SSBB's online.
Just look at a game from the same studio, Kid Icarus.
It's online is extremely well done.

It's Nintendo, they don't seem to care what consumers think about their online, so I don't want to get my hopes up. I just hope they get rid of FC with the Wii U. They went the right direction with the 3DS universal FC but they still need to go even further and use real usernames.

Terrell

He worked QA at TT games. And the link has been removed. It was most definitely not authorized and he most likely is fired.

It's not allergic to unknown change. The 3DS has shown what it is. And it's inferior. Change for changes sake doesn't make something better.

sliders are for the worse. It wouldn't be an improvement imo.
Don't mind change

Yeah, except even on visual inspection, the slide pads on the WiiU controller weren't AT ALL like the 3DS slider, and anyone who made such an assumption basically bought into the lines fed to you by the first person who trolled the slide pads on the controller.

It's Nintendo, they don't seem to care what consumers think about their online, so I don't want to get my hopes up. I just hope they get rid of FC with the Wii U. They went the right direction with the 3DS universal FC but they still need to go even further and use real usernames.

Why? The only difference is that with a real username, I can't CHANGE it if I want to later. With a friend code, I can call myself whatever I want, even if someone else takes the name before I do.

I think the Rayman stuff was representative and used an older dev kit. Probably not useful to gauge. Also, I figure it would make sense to move the point off the screen lest children scratch it by hard tapping figurines with sharp edges..

My point exactly. Thats why it makes sense. I don't want to put figurines or other stuff on the screen.

MYE

I actually like the 3DSs slidepad quite alot.

I expected to hate it with all the bad rap it gets here and after enduring the PSP's POS one for years, but it actually feels quite good.

Shiggy

I double-checked to be sure.

"So far we know for sure that can be simultaneously connected 4 Wii Remote Plus, or at least 2 WiiU controllers (but not learned if they can be linked together, ie 4 Wii Remote Plus and 2 WiiU controllers at the same time)."

"We played wireless, so yes, it had battery inside."

I know, I took a look too ;)
Don't you want to post the rest then too? The paragraph above what you've just posted might be of interest.

As long as the rumor holds true that this thing will have clicky sticks and analog triggers, this looks like the perfect controller. Good looking d-pad, analog sticks without the octagonal border, and oh yeah a GIANT FUCKING SCREEN IN THE MIDDLE.

KillGore

Why? The only difference is that with a real username, I can't CHANGE it if I want to later. With a friend code, I can call myself whatever I want, even if someone else takes the name before I do.

I don't play with my friends online, not that much at least, and I really depend on meeting new friends online, so I can play with them. How would I add them if I don't know their universal name? If it just shows me the number, then what's the point of a friend code then? it defeats the purpose of "security" if I see the number right there, in front of me. If they change their name, I won't be able to know who the hell he was before.

PogiJones

Banned

I would have at least like to have tried them. I think 2 slide pads would have countered each other's resistance enough to make it viable. But at the same time, sticks work great for me as well, so the most the slide pads could have pulled off is equality.

Plus, I love clicky sticks, so if sticks are necessary for that, I'm happy with the change.

Pocks

The most important part about this controller revelation is the green accents. That points heavily toward Jumpman23 being an insider, and thus his post about GTA V coming to Wii U in October 2012 all the more interesting.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37979873&postcount=13388
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=37730502&highlight=#post37730502

He's posted about GTA in the past, too.. Is he feigning uncertainty and posing his hints as a question? He lives in Southern California... where are the Rockstars various studios located?

Top Bottom