• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

RUMOR: New Xbox 360 Model Slims Down + Technology confuses Kotaku

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
Sep 4, 2007
1,600
0
0
USA
DiatribeEQ said:
My son's Elite died on him about 6 months ago, so I started letting him use my 360. Swapped out my HDD (mine was probably a launch system). Since I'd barely used my 360, I figured I'd get a solid year out of it before it died a horrible, horrible 3RoD on him. Nope. 3 months later (and about 4 days after he got a new game) it died after relatively light use from him over those 3 months.

This house will probably never see another Xbox in it again. Which is sad to say, as we had 3 Xbox's in our home, each logging in hundreds of hours of gameplay. But my boy is saving up his money for a PS3 now in hopes it lasts longer for him.
my 360 is in it 3rd year and is doing good. I play it all the time....by the way I have a falcon system. by the way why did you put this in a thread about the Slim 360....just to troll i guess
 

derFeef

Member
Jan 21, 2010
37,914
3
0
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Slim will be black.

Natal is black, official USB drive is black, N Wifi adaptor is black.
Black is the new black.
I hope it´s black. Elite just lookes so much more sexy.
 

MotorbreathX

Member
Apr 17, 2007
2,281
0
0
39
Colorado
DiatribeEQ said:
My son's Elite died on him about 6 months ago, so I started letting him use my 360. Swapped out my HDD (mine was probably a launch system). Since I'd barely used my 360, I figured I'd get a solid year out of it before it died a horrible, horrible 3RoD on him. Nope. 3 months later (and about 4 days after he got a new game) it died after relatively light use from him over those 3 months.

This house will probably never see another Xbox in it again. Which is sad to say, as we had 3 Xbox's in our home, each logging in hundreds of hours of gameplay. But my boy is saving up his money for a PS3 now in hopes it lasts longer for him.


If it helps any, my 360 died three times and my PS3 is currently dead. They all suck at some point.
 

Diatribe1974

Member
Jan 29, 2007
3,657
80
1,500
Kasumi1970 said:
my 360 is in it 3rd year and is doing good. I play it all the time....by the way I have a falcon system. by the way why did you put this in a thread about the Slim 360....just to troll i guess


Nah, didn't mean to come across as a troll post, just my comments about while the 360 Slim would be a potentially great upgrade to the current gen hardware in the Xbox 360, it probably won't do us much good, as we've now had failure rates on 2 systems in our home. For me, it's one thing for a 99 buck system to die, it's another when a system dies that cost (at the time I bought my 360) 3x that amount. I guess it boils down to this: If the 360 Slim is able to return the 360 to what a normal console wold have (in terms of hardware failure rates), then I just might get one of them. But if they are another potentially high rate of death for the end-user, then nah, I'll look elsewhere. I think my son will probably not be a viable candidate (at least for the rest of this generation) since he's now had 2 systems die on him (remember, my 360, the 2nd one that died on him, had very, very, very few hours logged in for play, so we're not talking about a high usage machine, not like the original Xbox 1, now that was a high usage system! lol)
 
Jun 11, 2006
9,239
0
0
DiatribeEQ said:
Nah, didn't mean to come across as a troll post, just my comments about while the 360 Slim would be a potentially great upgrade to the current gen hardware in the Xbox 360, it probably won't do us much good, as we've now had failure rates on 2 systems in our home. For me, it's one thing for a 99 buck system to die, it's another when a system dies that cost (at the time I bought my 360) 3x that amount. I guess it boils down to this: If the 360 Slim is able to return the 360 to what a normal console wold have (in terms of hardware failure rates), then I just might get one of them. But if they are another potentially high rate of death for the end-user, then nah, I'll look elsewhere. I think my son will probably not be a viable candidate (at least for the rest of this generation) since he's now had 2 systems die on him (remember, my 360, the 2nd one that died on him, had very, very, very few hours logged in for play, so we're not talking about a high usage machine, not like the original Xbox 1, now that was a high usage system! lol)
Yes, but it was a Xenon or a Xephyr. Both of which are regarded as 'when not if' systems. The better thing to do would have been to trade it in for a credits at gamestop and then bought a new arcade with the credits, but you did not know that at the time.
 
Aug 27, 2009
10,999
0
0
DiatribeEQ said:
I guess it boils down to this: If the 360 Slim is able to return the 360 to what a normal console wold have (in terms of hardware failure rates), then I just might get one of them.

So if reliability is your main concern, why wait for the (potentially problematic) slim instead of going with the already reliable Jasper right now?
 

Dabanton

Member
May 25, 2007
25,530
1
0
I've got an Elite Jasper and it still amazes me how cold the thing runs even when i've had it on for hours.

I do install any game i'm playing for extended sessions though.
 

Diatribe1974

Member
Jan 29, 2007
3,657
80
1,500
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
So if reliability is your main concern, why wait for the (potentially problematic) slim instead of going with the already reliable Jasper right now?

I believe my son's Elite was a Jasper. I'd have to go upstairs and check his manufacturing date to check to see if the timeframe is right or not. But even if it's not, asking folks in this house to invest into a 3rd 360 at the moment isn't the best thing, heh. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for the 360 Slim to be this pillar of stability that everyone says "Man, this thing is a beast. You'll never worry about this thing having 3RoD problems!" Right now, I'm playing a cautious wait & see with things. We'll see what happens first: The boy get's his PS3 or we have another 360 in the house.
 
Jun 16, 2006
1,120
1
0
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
So if reliability is your main concern, why wait for the (potentially problematic) slim instead of going with the already reliable Jasper right now?
potentially problematic? :lol they've already made a BILLION dollar mistake. they arent gonna do it again. this is the relaunch of the system. Hell it may actually be just why there arent any leaks. I bet they arent going with some average chinese manufacturer this time around.
 
Aug 27, 2009
10,999
0
0
DiatribeEQ said:
I believe my son's Elite was a Jasper. I'd have to go upstairs and check his manufacturing date to check to see if the timeframe is right or not.

Was it a RRoD? I believe that would be one of the very few Jaspers to die from RRoD on NeoGAF, if not the only one. And if it's a Jasper, shouldn't it still be covered by warranty?


WasteLand Soldier said:
potentially problematic? :lol

Hey, you never know...
 

Crazyorloco

Member
Aug 29, 2007
2,862
4
1,140
Microsoft can't be happy with the 360's monthly sales lately...I hope a slim comes soon. My 360 (bought late 2008) can't play games.

I get some "Dirty disc error" I have to keep inserting the disc over and over to get the game to work. I thought I was safe from RRoD, but ended up with a different problem.

Can't wait till E3. Come on Papi Chulo.
 

FrankT

Member
Jan 18, 2007
18,470
2
1,420
Crazyorloco said:
Microsoft can't be happy with the 360's monthly sales lately...I hope a slim comes soon. My 360 (bought late 2008) can't play games.

I get some "Dirty disc error" I have to keep inserting the disc over and over to get the game to work. I thought I was safe from RRoD, but ended up with a different problem.

Can't wait till E3. Come on Papi Chulo.

Actually as far as monthly sales go they are coming off the best Jan/Feb/March ever per NPD. April is pretty close to their top showing as well. I'm sure they want to have a bit better holiday showing however.
 

FrankT

Member
Jan 18, 2007
18,470
2
1,420
Just in case someone hasn't noticed, Annoying Old Party Man has stated that one of Microsoft's first party Natal games will be a Pet game. He correctly predicted Halo: Reach (by name) last year, and Natal itself. He also "confirms" Xbox 360 Slim with internal wireless and a 250gb HDD.

Stolen from the Natal thread.

This is what we could be looking at folks come fall. Proper design of course I'll upgrade day one.
 

FrankT

Member
Jan 18, 2007
18,470
2
1,420
MoxManiac said:
Are they really going to wait until fall to launch the slim (if it exists, that is) :/

Nothing would suggest otherwise. I mean if it was going to be in the next couple weeks I would think we would have some flyers on at least at this point. July I could see them clearing out stock with discounts then moving into Aug/Sept announcing a price cut+slim is my bet. This (Aug/Sept) is MS's normal time of updating hardware and dropping prices. Likely following up in October with Natal.

Edit: I also wouldn't be surprised to see some different size HDDs with the slim offering.
 

gcubed

Member
Mar 7, 2007
25,836
0
0
Foster City, CA
WasteLand Soldier said:
potentially problematic? :lol they've already made a BILLION dollar mistake. they arent gonna do it again. this is the relaunch of the system. Hell it may actually be just why there arent any leaks. I bet they arent going with some average chinese manufacturer this time around.

a complete redesign? its likely.
 

FrankT

Member
Jan 18, 2007
18,470
2
1,420
neptunes said:
built-in Wifi, it hass only been 4 years

I'm almost surprised they are putting in as they make a killing off those things, but it's likely they believe they can keep selling to those the original base of non-slim owners.
 

jonnybryce

Member
Sep 26, 2007
5,765
0
0
nYc
Jtyettis said:
Nothing would suggest otherwise. I mean if it was going to be in the next couple weeks I would think we would have some flyers on at least at this point. July I could see them clearing out stock with discounts then moving into Aug/Sept announcing a price cut+slim is my bet. This (Aug/Sept) is MS's normal time of updating hardware and dropping prices. Likely following up in October with Natal.

Edit: I also wouldn't be surprised to see some different size HDDs with the slim offering.

It sucks that you make so much sense. In my fantasy world they announce it at E3 and make it available that or the next few days, an awesome surprise for all. I have a 360 I bought in 07 (damn time flies). RRODed once but has some weird stuff going on now.

Worst of all = no HDMI. I'd buy a Slim in a heartbeat so I can toss this helicopter sounding, VGA-requiring, power cable has to be inserted just right, horribly aged 360 out of my house. But I don't feel like buying a new 360 for the hell of it, I want something smaller, better and cheaper.
 

pr0cs

Member
May 10, 2006
10,516
3,672
1,635
Never forget, fall 2017. It can happen again
neptunes said:
built-in Wifi, it has only been 4 years
there is no way I can see them bundling in Wifi. I'd love to be wrong for those people who endlessly complain about the 'no wifi' but considering how much money they make on the accessories I don't expect this generation will ever see a 360 with built-in wifi.
 

Gong

Member
Dec 9, 2008
782
0
740
Scotland
acidspunk said:
Why didn't you send it to Microsoft then?

This x10000. Don`t let it pass into a non-warranty situation. I`ve had a fair few refurbs from MS now, and as much as the hardware frustrates me, there`s a quick turnaround from submitting a repair request to it coming back to you (at least here in Europe).

You sure it`s a Jasper? I`ve not heard of one RRing, friends who own one are very pleased with it in comparison to the older 360`s.
 
Oct 8, 2009
16,977
4
0
Release the next real Xbox in late 2013. By that time, there will be some real technology progression, and the worst parts of the economy should be over.

Until then, keep focus on 360.

A redesign could be the spearhead in a relaunch, to rid themselfs of the RROD failure. Call it XBox 520, or something 1080 or anything!

- But we need that damn build-in Wi-Fi. And a serious bigger hard drive.

It needs to run cooler, be smaller, have a much smaller powe brick, make much less noise, if the drive could play Blu-Ray would be nice. Bundle it with some MS points(1500) and a few XBLA games. Some classics that don't sell that much anymore like Geometry Wars and such!

Let's get some different colors, and make an access panel for the HDD attatchment, so a HDD can be upgraded with any 2,5'' HDD/SSD.


And let's see some original Xbox and Dreamcast titles on XBLA, with improved framerates/drawdistance/achievements/HD resolutions!
 

Diablohead

Member
Jun 4, 2006
43,511
1
0
Vigilant Walrus said:
Fixed going by SEGA's Sonic Adventure xbla port. :(
 

Sapiens

Member
Mar 10, 2005
14,268
92
1,635
Chicago
www.oprah.com
pr0cs said:
there is no way I can see them bundling in Wifi. I'd love to be wrong for those people who endlessly complain about the 'no wifi' but considering how much money they make on the accessories I don't expect this generation will ever see a 360 with built-in wifi.


When will people realize that wifi on a console is useless? You've GOT to have that sucker wired if you even want to think about using them for their intended networking capabilities.
 

Diablohead

Member
Jun 4, 2006
43,511
1
0
Sapiens said:
When will people realize that wifi on a console is useless? You've GOT to have that sucker wired if you even want to think about using them for their intended networking capabilities.
HD video streaming? I sort of agree but the N adapter works. otherwise no not really, my 360 is wired because I am not forking out for that expensive add-on but my wireless PC connection plays games fine, video too.
 
Oct 8, 2009
16,977
4
0
Diablohead said:
HD video streaming? I sort of agree but the N adapter works. otherwise no not really, my 360 is wired because I am not forking out for that expensive add-on but my wireless PC connection plays games fine, video too.

.

I can't get wired in my house. And we have wireless. Seriously, all my electronic devices have Wi-Fi. It's completely unacceptable that it doesn't.


If MS wanted more profit they could also bundle the machine with no controllers for more profit.
But like with wi-fi, it's stupid. It's just one of those standards that HAVE to be there now.
 

Redd

Member
Aug 23, 2007
8,724
0
0
Forget that I love my consoles are Wireless. Less cords and for the most part I get little lag and HD movies come in just fine.
 

surly

Banned
Aug 13, 2009
3,094
0
0
Redd said:
HD movies come in just fine.
Anything but wireless N is not very good for streaming full HD movies, because you'll get buffering/stuttering issues. My PS3 and 360 are hard wired and only the Wii is wireless because you can't stream movies on that anyway (and I hardly ever use it).
 

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Jan 4, 2007
9,256
0
1,325
Sapiens said:
When will people realize that wifi on a console is useless? You've GOT to have that sucker wired if you even want to think about using them for their intended networking capabilities.

Because people like having no wires/it's sometimes easier to set up/not everybody has their netbox and TV in the same room/maybe other reasons I can't think of.

You really can't fathom people wanting WiFi? Why do you think WiFi got popular in the first place if it's so crappy?
 

Draft

Member
Mar 30, 2005
18,399
3
0
40
Sapiens said:
When will people realize that wifi on a console is useless? You've GOT to have that sucker wired if you even want to think about using them for their intended networking capabilities.
nah.
 
Aug 10, 2008
38,700
0
0
U.S.A.
Sapiens said:
When will people realize that wifi on a console is useless? You've GOT to have that sucker wired if you even want to think about using them for their intended networking capabilities.

You're joking right? I don't use my 360 nearly as much as my PS3 simply because of the wifi.
 

Diablohead

Member
Jun 4, 2006
43,511
1
0
-viper- said:
they're making a slim? dammit. i'm annoyed because I just bought a 360 recently.
It's sorta-confirmed, hopefully MS will talk about it coming at E3 on monday so we know the real details.
 

Elios83

Member
Jun 30, 2004
15,595
3,252
1,770
Diablohead said:
It's sorta-confirmed, hopefully MS will talk about it coming at E3 on monday so we know the real details.

I doubt it will be announced during E3 unless it's coming out sooner than we think (July or August).
Then there was that rumor about the new Slim model to be reserved for Natal bundles only....which could change things and make an E3 announcement possible.
 
Feb 7, 2008
5,962
0
0
The slim will have built in wireless, but it wont have Wireless N. For that, you have to pay the premium for the adapter.

You announce a new machine in 2010 that doesn't have feature parity with similar devices from 2006, and earlier. I also expect the internal memory to get a boost in the lowest range version of the SKU. No more HDD-less 360's, the bottom end system will have 16GB of flash memory. There's profit to be made on XBLA and Games on Demand. Giving everyone enough memory to store that data is essential. Then you'll have the premium/elite version with the 250GB HDD.

These are just my predictions, but I'd be disappointed in Microsoft if they released a system with no Wi-Fi and no substantial on board memory. The 256MB of flash memory in the Jasper isn't enough to hold most XBLA games, these days.

New branding centred around the Xbox Experience will be shown at E3, but I don't expect the console to make an appearance before September. In fact, I imagine they'll announce the new 360 one week after Halo Reach helps sell off the rest of their old inventory.
 
Dec 28, 2008
9,749
1
735
31
Ireland
www.twitter.com
I think we'll see some new hardware during e3 which will be released with natal (presumably October). They'll cut the price of old models in August/September and hope that halo reach + price cut can get rid of a lot of old stock.
 

Greyvvolf

Member
Oct 5, 2009
763
0
0
Canada
Diablohead said:
It's sorta-confirmed, hopefully MS will talk about it coming at E3 on monday so we know the real details.

I hope they confirm it, my Elite from November 2007 needs to be repaired again. I never had a problem with it since last summer, this will be my third time getting it repaired since then. Not once was it from getting the RROD though.
Maybe next time... :lol No, just kidding... I hope...

Also, if it is confirmed, it needs to be released as black.
 
Oct 17, 2005
35,484
4
0
44
snoopeasystreet said:
I think we'll see some new hardware during e3 which will be released with natal (presumably October). They'll cut the price of old models in August/September and hope that halo reach + price cut can get rid of a lot of old stock.


What Halo fan doesn't have a 360 after three different Halo games have been released for it, and Halo 2 online play has been turned off.....
 

infinityBCRT

Member
Jun 2, 2008
8,304
0
1,175
Diablohead said:
HD video streaming? I sort of agree but the N adapter works. otherwise no not really, my 360 is wired because I am not forking out for that expensive add-on but my wireless PC connection plays games fine, video too.
If you're doing OTA HD streaming, it barely works with wireless N (needs 20mb/s constant connection speed-- and just because your Wireless N device says theres 100% signal doesn't mean its actual at the full 300mb/s it says it is connected at). I've got my 360 directly plugged into my dlink xtreme n router and have an xtreme n wireless card in my Media Center PC, and any sort of interference (such as the microwave being on) absolutely destroys the connection for OTA HD. It works most of the time, but most of the time still doesn't cut it. I'd rather have it wired, but it'd be a pain in the ass to do it.
 

Mizzou Gaming

Member
Jan 1, 2010
1,697
0
860
43
Missouri
I will probably by a Slim regardless but I have to admit the refurb 360 I got back a year ago after a RRoD runs fantastic. Not thrilled its probably going to have built in wireless but I know why they are doing it. Imagine that in a year I could have a 360 with built in wireless and a PS3 that completely lacks it. Whodda Thunk it.