• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: New Xbox 360 Model Slims Down + Technology confuses Kotaku

Reikon

DarkJC said:
Read the text that isn't bolded. They're talking about the upcoming Intel chips codenamed Clarkdale, not whatever the slim 360 is codenamed.

They still say that the 360 chips are handled by Intel. The chips are PowerPC and have nothing to do with Intel. :lol What Intel makes has no correlation to the 360.

Also, IBM doesn't have 32 nm ready for mass production.

And I've never seen the Cooler Master name used in an OEM product.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Reikon said:
They still say that the 360 chips are handled by Intel. The chips are PowerPC and have nothing to do with Intel. :lol What Intel makes has no correlation to the 360.

But this is not OEM yet :lol it's being tested if it's real.

Unless they are going for some serious cooling on the thing to make sure it never breaks down. Efficiency overkill, I'd sign up for that.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
miladesn said:
yes, that means current HDDs are obsolete.

It's not that they have plenty of stock left. It really is very rare to see them at the stores. Damn, even Amazon de-listed them a while ago, didn't they?

miladesn said:
I think the console will sit horizontally only, with the air vent in the right side, and yes USB ports are horizontal too.
about metal boxes in the back, the two on the left are new (just look at the jasper board), I have no idea what they can be. in the current boards, one contains the A/V and HDMI ports and the other contains LAN and a USB ports. wonder what they've added.

May be something like a Wii? If this is true, it doesn't look like they have a fucking Wireless adapter built in. I keep trying to translate those pages with the pictures but my browser is not letting me. Can anyone else do it? Want to read what they are posting about. Here are the pages by the way...

http://bbs.a9vg.com/read.php?tid=1393868&fpage=&toread=&uid=&page=7
http://bbs.a9vg.com/read.php?tid=1393868&fpage=&toread=&uid=&page=8
http://bbs.a9vg.com/read.php?tid=1393868&fpage=&toread=&uid=&page=10

DarkJC

Reikon said:

Oh yeah, I know, it's completely ridiculous. That they have people posting 360 hardware rumours without even knowing anything about the current 360 hardware is...well...it speaks for itself.

And then I read posts like

Holy hell if true..

32nm chip that's both GPU and CPU, insane..

And continue to weep for the state of reading comprehension on GAF.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
DarkJC said:
Oh yeah, I know, it's completely ridiculous. That they have people posting 360 hardware rumours without even knowing anything about the current 360 hardware is...well...it speaks for itself.

And then I read posts like

And continue to weep for the state of reading comprehension on GAF.

UPDATE - Removed erroneous information about Intel chipsets.

:lol I know that they use IBM chips, save yourself the trouble I know more about 360 hardware than you do buddy.
:p

There seems to be only one memory card reader.

Also I doubt if that unit on the front is a USB slot or power slot? Somehow it looks like around the same area where you turn the 360 on, if you look at the Jasper, there seems to be a unit right around the same area on the motherboard.

Sethos

Banned
I'd so be all over a slim 360, would be rubbing it with coconut oil and be doing gentle hip-thrusts into the vent ports - Oh man!

miladesn said:
I think the console will sit horizontally only, with the air vent in the right side, and yes USB ports are horizontal too.
about metal boxes in the back, the two on the left are new (just look at the jasper board), I have no idea what they can be. in the current boards, one contains the A/V and HDMI ports and the other contains LAN and a USB ports. wonder what they've added.

The black output looks like an optical out. That would be great, no need for one of those adapters if using HDMI.

Pooya

arne said:
so... what's under the heat sink?
(yes, actually curious)
C9EOW.jpg

CPU/GPU in one chip and 4 memory chips.
The black output looks like an optical out. That would be great, no need for one of those adapters if using HDMI.
yes, I think the box in top middle is an optical out too.

arne

miladesn said:
http://i.imgur.com/C9EOW.jpg

CPU/GPU in one chip and 4 memory chips.

yes, I think the box in top middle is an optical out too.

okay that is where I was confused. the original article said it was the chip next to the heat sink with the X360 logo on it. that is also not correct then and I hadn't spotted the update to the post that removed that.

either way, mighty interesting if true. i've been waiting (for no reason) to pick up an HDMI one. i can wait for a while if this has any semblance of truth.

miladesn said:
yes, that means current HDDs are obsolete.
The HDD proprietary design will have to change radically for a slim 360, as they're just too bulky in their current form. In fact, to save costs I wouldn't be surprised if MS did an Apple and make it internal and impossible (without voiding warranty) to upgrade the HDD - a bit like the original Xbox. Of course, they could do a Sony and let the user do it, or create a new proprietary design.

I think there has to be a 360 revision on the way - bundled by default with Natal. No way MS goes 5 years without working on a new piece of console hardware. If they're not, then either they're completely stupid and missing a trick or something went seriously wrong during development. Also, given that MS wants to steal Nintendo's customers, I don't see Wii owners moving from that slick, miniature, quiet console to the bulky, noisy, unrealiable monstrosity that is unfortunately the current 360.

Vormund

shagg_187 said:
Cooler Master? Really?

It's only held in with one screw, and the other holes don't line up, so obviously it's not final.

A bit surprised about them the HDD connector though, I thought they loved gouging us on accessories.

Pooya

arne said:
okay that is where I was confused. the original article said it was the chip next to the heat sink with the X360 logo on it. that is also not correct then and I hadn't spotted the update to the post that removed that.

either way, mighty interesting if true. i've been waiting (for no reason) to pick up an HDMI one. i can wait for a while if this has any semblance of truth.
the chip with MS logo on it is the south bridge.

KTallguy

Banned
I'll buy a 360 if the redesign is more reliable. I've been holding out just for such a redesign.
Gonna wait a little bit to make sure though :lol

Brashnir

Vormund said:
It's only held in with one screw, and the other holes don't line up, so obviously it's not final.

A bit surprised about them the HDD connector though, I thought they loved gouging us on accessories.

the current HDDs are SATA too. It's certainly possible that they will run a cable to a proprietary connector on the outside of the system.

This would make hacking in a custom HDD easier, I suppose, but it's not especially hard as-is.

Vormund

Yeah the positioning of the connector compared to the current model made me think it may not be (easily) replaceable.

Regardless, I'm more interested in what the casing looks like.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
369.png

Obviously not scaled (would look alot more compact) but that's my take on the final looks design.

And holy shit at NEOGAF'S redesign omg.

360.jpg

Insayne

The 360 used and still uses SATA connectors for HDD/DVD.

Yes, they are the SATA standard from a wiring standpoint.
No, the connector from the HDD "Case" to the 360 is not standard but proprietary of Microsoft.

You can already connect any normal 2,5" SATA Harddisk into your Xbox 360, however don't expect it to work on a retail unit since it has to come with "keys" (the HDD that is) in order to function (authentication is required).

This is basically Microsoft's Security in order to prevent 3rd Parties of making cheap harddisks or you using a store-bought one for PC/Laptop.

On a DevKit however, you can swap out the internal HDD this way without any hiccups as it completely ignores the said Security. (anything beyond 500GB used to cause trouble, but since a few XDK updates, they changed it, so it allows now for up to 4TB - think it was a bit before the 250GB CoD:MW2 box came out).

So claiming "This will make all prior released hdd's non-functional", from a technical standpoint, makes no sense.

However, I truly doubt Microsoft would go through a re-design and let you plug the old "kind" of harddisks. Here's hope they would make it look prettier, and thus, it would have a different shape.

Sethos

Banned
Slayer-33 said:
369.png

Obviously not scaled (would look alot more compact) but that's my take on the final looks design.

And holy shit at NEOGAF'S redesign omg.

... Natal included IN the 360? Are you high?

pulga

Banned
Slayer-33 said:
Fuck yeah. I just threw that on it for the hell of it I don't expect it to be integrated lol

I'd like to see people trying to balance a 360 over their thin ass plasmas if this were the case :lol

derFeef

Shogun PaiN said:
Need to see something from it first. Last I read - Developers are struggling with Natal as its buggy and doesn't work very well.
I meant that from Microsofts perspective as they are going to have a hell of a lineup then. I am sceptical about it too.

Pooya

Insayne said:
So claiming "This will make all prior released hdd's non-functional", from a technical standpoint, makes no sense.
they've removed the external HDD port, so you can't use current HDDs anymore. yes it uses SATA but as you said without the custom port current HDDs are useless.

Brashnir

miladesn said:
they've removed the external HDD port, so you can't use current HDDs anymore. yes it uses SATA but as you said without the custom port current HDDs are useless.
how can you tell it's removed? They could be running a cable from the SATA port on the mobo to an external connector. Depending on how and where they connect the external HDD (assuming there is an external connection of course) using the same method as before may not be practical. Example - if the HDD sits on the top of the case, while the motherboard is at the bottom.

Be interesting to see what they'll do with the HDD. If they are going to slim it down then the only possible place for the HDD would be in the top of the 360, but then you've got HSF and DVD in the way there.

Be nice if you could take your old HDD onto a new slim, but I have a feeling that if you want to 'upgrade' to a slim 360 you'll be doing some data transferring :(

Pooya

Brashnir said:
Example - if the HDD sits on the top of the case, while the motherboard is at the bottom.
hmm, yes that's possible, separate cables for power and SATA connected to the port on top of console, HDD on top of the box looks ugly IMO though.

glaurung

A slimline version of the box, huh?

It would be all kinds of awesome if they allowed for user HDD swapping like the PS3. But knowing what kind of mentality reigns in MS, it is extremely unlikely.

I haven't turned on my old (July 2006) 360 for a couple of months now.

Insayne

miladesn said:

We have no concrete information yet on whether the external port has been removed, do we? (Not to be an ass, but maybe I missed something, so I am just making sure).

Either way, from possible scenarios here:

1) No external HDD - You can still buy an old HDD (they are 2,5" already, and I doubt a slim 360 would go below that in size for a HDD) rip it out of its casing and put it into the new System. Inside the HDD Housing (the old one) is just a 2,5" SATA HDD, nothing else.

2) External HDD but changed shape of Casing - You can still (if its a financially viable solution, read: cheaper) get one of the older ones, take it out from there, and replace it in its current case.

The Security system on a retail machine only prevents you from using 3rd Party HDD's due to the lack of keys. However, any 360 HDD will still work then.

Either way, if I had to speculate, I would say it keeps the external/detachable HDD design, with the connector, but the casing will be different to house it. Thus making older models unusable on newer systems from the average joe.

Why? Because for microsoft, its a financial advantage to ask those pesky 10$ more per HDD (not like they aren't expensive enough already) while using less plastic (so its even cheaper to them).

Either way it pans out to be true, internal or external - older Harddisks will work with fiddling; however the dream of "I can buy any harddisk and plug it in ala Sony-style" will not come to fruition (even if we move to regular SATA) - not now, not in a re-design either.

Microsoft makes too much money to start sharing the wealth with the likes of Seagate etc.

Shogun PaiN said:
Need to see something from it first. Last I read - Developers are struggling with Natal as its buggy and doesn't work very well.
Yes, we discussed that IGN rumour to death last week.

ShogunX

Monty Mole said:
Yes, we discussed that IGN rumour to death last week.

Yep we did which left me with the conclusion that I need to see actual gameplay from Natal to decide whether or not it lives up to what MS advertised it as.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Insayne said:
Microsoft makes too much money to start sharing the wealth with the likes of Seagate etc.

The HDDs themselves aren't the problem (MS use WD drives, don't they?) It's the fact they use a proprietary enclosure that's required to connect the thing to the system. MS are already "sharing the wealth" due to the fact they're not using their own HDDs. The crux of your point still stands true, though - I can't see MS following Sony and allowing users to install whichever compatible drive they wish.

Pooya

Plywood said:
It'd be nice if Slim60 is real, though.
the source of the pic is not Kotaku, it's from some Chinese forum , that motherboard pic is 100% legit IMO.
it's coming. remember the PS3 slim leaks last year?
Insayne said:
We have no concrete information yet on whether the external port has been removed, do we?
the HDD port on the left is gone, it's possible that they've move it to top of the box using wires, but it's not likely IMO. your points are valid but the port isn't there at the moment. it's too soon to jump to a conclusion, we know nothing yet.

derFeef

miladesn said:
the source of the pic is not Kotaku, it's from some Chinese forum , that motherboard pic is 100% legit IMO.
it's coming. remember the PS3 slim leaks last year?
Yep, besides the fan and its positioning (wtf top-exhaust??), it looks very real.

Top Bottom