• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: New Xbox 360 Model Slims Down + Technology confuses Kotaku

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Fakto said:
So ... Kotaku is right ? Reading a lot of contradictions in here >,<
Kotaku's random Intel statements are incorrect, but the motherboard pictures they took from a Chinese message board are most likely real.

Pooya

derFeef said:
Yep, besides the fan and its positioning (wtf top-exhaust??), it looks very real.
as others said, it's a cpu cooler for testing purposes. the vent is either on the right or rear.

derFeef

miladesn said:
as others said, it's a cpu cooler for testing purposes. the vent is either on the right or rear.
Sure, but it would be smaller then, which we know, is not good ;) But it is going to be what Slayer said - vacuum system.

Manp

Slayer-33 said:
360.jpg

that connector on the front you marked as usb (near the memory one) looks more like the ring of light board connector

f3c460fe.jpg

it's the connector in the bottom middle of the motherboard (at the right of the sync button) and in the current revision is used to connect the ring of light daughterboard (which needs to stay out of the metal shielding of the case since it's also used for the wireless controllers)

if this is the case then the new revision might not have any usb on the front

:)

Jay Sosa

Í really hope it's true. Only have a 20GB console thats working like a charm since like 3 years (and is even not that noisy if you play from HDD) and wanted to get a new Elite, but if this is true I think I'll wait just a little bit longer.

Chittagong

Gold Member
360.jpg

Wow, looks like a new case is (finally) inevitable. Connectors are in completely different places, no way they can use same casing. Now, here's hoping my 2005 launch Xbox 360 lasts until this...

manzo

Of course it's hard to try to put the connectors to the right perspective, but I don't see the new mobo that much smaller...

Is there anything on that board we can use to work out a scaled picture (vs one of the other motherboard examples)? I'm guessing that the RJ45 port should be pretty static in terms of size.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Size comparison, unless I messed something up:

24ybs75.jpg

And yeah, it does point to a new case I think. Sometimes you can have internal revisions that make the motherboard smaller on one dimension, but keep the proportions for the external connectors etc. For this MB the current case would be too deep to expose the back connectors, for starters.

By the looks of it, anyway, the width should be a third smaller, depth slightly smaller, and height? We'll have to wait and see I guess.

edit - I used the motherboard holes and (what I think is) the HANA chip to scale these. I think they were safe reference points...

Hmm...may be Microsoft might ofer cloud save system. (hey one can dream right). I just upgrade to 250gb HD and it's actually didn't take that long to move the save files and most of the time you just cleaning out the "fridge" as you go anyway so I can totally see non-compatible internal HD.

Or may be there will be external connector somewhere, but I don't see it. I am thinking they probably will offer this right along with the old 360. At least for small amount of time. New Natal machine (so the casual will bite) and old 360.

Chittagong

Gold Member
gofreak said:

And yeah, it does point to a new case I think. Sometimes you can have internal revisions that make the motherboard smaller on one dimension, but keep the proportions for the external connectors etc. For this MB the current case would be too deep to expose the back connectors, for starters.

By the looks of it, anyway, the width should be a third smaller, depth slightly smaller, and height? We'll have to wait and see I guess.

edit - I used the motherboard holes and (what I think is) the HANA chip to scale these. I think they were safe reference points...

Good job gofreak. Looks very similar to the PS3 -> PS3 slim motherboard. So looks like qe will have two square shaped consoles now. Now only Nintendo needs to do a double-CD case sized Wii.

manzo

gofreak said:

Looks about a 3rd smaller. Most definitely a new chassis design is needed. Here's hoping for a self-serviceable HDD bay...

Insayne

JaseC said:
the HDD port on the left is gone, it's possible that they've move it to top of the box using wires, but it's not likely IMO. your points are valid but the port isn't there at the moment. it's too soon to jump to a conclusion, we know nothing yet.

Well, it might not be gone on second look (guessing here)

360shdd.jpg

miladesn said:
The HDDs themselves aren't the problem (MS use WD drives, don't they?) It's the fact they use a proprietary enclosure that's required to connect the thing to the system. MS are already "sharing the wealth" due to the fact they're not using their own HDDs. The crux of your point still stands true, though - I can't see MS following Sony and allowing users to install whichever compatible drive they wish.

Actually - While microsoft has a deal with WD (and probably other Harddisk Manufacturers) to have harddisks at all (Microsoft does not manufacture harddisks, heh), its not the proprietary enclosure that hinders you to use any Harddisk on the machine.

If it were just that - we could replicate it, which we can. Its the missing Key :)

Each Harddisk comes with a "Key", unique to it, which when the 360 Boots up is being verified. If it matches (I.e authorized by M$) your harddisk can be used, else the 360 just rejects it and pretends its not there.

They are not sharing the wealth in reality... as they have a special pricing from their contractors (WD, etc) in order that they make money per HDD, locking out any other Harddisk Manufacturer from capitalizing on the console/machine.

The buisness model they apply is simply put, thought of from their side and is buisness.

They developed this security system (so you can't use another HDD but theirs) not to save you from the evil that lures from other HDD Makers, but to get cheaper pricing from Manufacturers, earn money on it, and lock you (the consumer) from going a less expensive route.

All this procedure, you would think is made to benefit you with better quality, better support and cheaper pricing (as microsoft gets the hdds cheaper) but ends up in being the same quality as any WD drive out there, centralized support through Microsoft (which is an advantage IMO)... sadly, on the last point, its not 1 company earning on it anymore, its two - so it ends up being much more expensive for you as consumer.

Personally, to me it's a ripoff. It's one thing not to offer support for 3rd Party HDD's (if something breaks, warranty, etc) - It's a whole different case when you know you have exclusivity in a market (monopoly) and abuse it by asking a premium price because you do not allow competition in the market or licensing.

ampere

Dresden said:
chill guys, it's kotaku, this is liking laughing at the disabled kids
Find anything that looks remotely like news or a rumor and there will be a Kotaku article about it. Not sure why they keep trying. That Cooler Master fan should be a dead giveaway, but nope.

edit: Seeing some of the newer (I have only looked at a launch 360's motherboard) Xbox chipset pictures, this looks more believable... I'll just check back later and see when someone figures it out.

There's actually just about enough info to work out what the new faceplate would look like (not height wise) there... I must admit though that I tried, but don't have the skill to put it together. :(

It appears that there's both an IR receiver and the "controller sync" button still at the front. Receiver is between the memory slots and the ring of light (marked USB in image). The sync button is to the left of the central mounting point.

Pooya

No way that's an optical in, what's the use anyway? it's probably an optical out, so those who want to use HDMI and optical audio at the same time can do it without the special cable that was bundled with the Elites or breaking the plastic casing of the A/V cable.

itsgreen

These rumors always get me excited :)

Also a Slim60 is an insta-buy for me...

By the time it releases my Elite will be two years old or something :)

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
If this is true( which it probably is as 360 needs a slim model too), and if the size estimate indeed is correct as about a third smaller, then they could use that space to add the power unit (what is is called in english) inside. It would end up being roughly the same size as before :D But, jokes aside smaller unit is always nice to have. What on earth would they call it? Tiny? Atom? Miniton?

ciaossu said:
Find anything that looks remotely like news or a rumor and there will be a Kotaku article about it.
You probably mean a blog post, ne.

derFeef

ciaossu said:
Find anything that looks remotely like news or a rumor and there will be a Kotaku article about it. Not sure why they keep trying. That Cooler Master fan should be a dead giveaway, but nope.
There are a lot of signs that this is real, imho.

miladesn said:
No way that's an optical in, what's the use anyway? it's probably an optical out, so those who want to use HDMI and optical audio at the same time can do it without the special cable that was bundled with the Elites or breaking the plastic casing of the A/V cable.

optical out makes much more sense of course.

If they could make a smaller, quieter version, with Natal, Wi-Fi and maybe even Blu-Ray, it would be excellent. Perhaps a 500-1TB Harddrive as well.

That would be excellent. That would be, +3 more years right there.

KAL2006 said:
So is this legit or not, seems like some people are saying fake and some people saying real.
Remind you of the PS3 slim leak much? :lol

Short answer, the only people that know are working for MS / MS's partners and aren't likely to say anything.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
KAL2006 said:
So is this legit or not, seems like some people are saying fake and some people saying real.

Similar leaks in the past have ended up being legit, so the current general assumption is that this is also legit.

Chittagong

Gold Member
KAL2006 said:

Pretty sure it's real

1. faking a convincing motherboard with a mix of existing and new components is beyond anything I've seen from people faking this stuff. They wouldn't understand what components need to be in

2. the motherboard seems to confirm the new case because it simply won't fit the current one

The only uncertainties, in my mind are

- How different the casing will actually be? MS could do minimal changes to simply make the mb work, or they could do something more radical

- Whether MS will actually release this? Companies do end scrapping products they are prototyping for various reasons

My take on these are that there will be a substantial aesthetic update - downside is minimal, upside is huge; and that they are likely to release this as I can't think of a reason to scrap the mb, yields should be fine for 5 year old tech.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Psychotext said:
There's actually just about enough info to work out what the new faceplate would look like (not height wise) there... I must admit though that I tried, but don't have the skill to put it together. :(

It appears that there's both an IR receiver and the "controller sync" button still at the front. Receiver is between the memory slots and the ring of light (marked USB in image). The sync button is to the left of the central mounting point.

You seem to know your bits from your bobs, but what makes us sure that the thing marked USB is the ring of light? It doesn't really look like the corrosponding one on the old motherboard, or look wholly unlike a usb box. Neither does the thing marked memory, look like the memory 'bits' on the old motherboard. I've a feeling the bit marked memory is for memory cards, but it's two stacked on top of each other.

Hmm.

gofreak said:
You seem to know your bits from your bobs, but what makes us sure that the thing marked USB is the ring of light? It doesn't really look like the corrosponding one on the old motherboard, or look wholly unlike a usb box. Neither does the thing marked memory, look like the memory 'bits' on the old motherboard. I've a feeling the bit marked memory is for memory cards, but it's two stacked on top of each other.

Hmm.
Regarding the memory slots, that's exactly what I thought (especially as they're exactly the right width). Regarding the USB vs Ring of Light... it doesn't look exactly like the old one, but then it doesn't look like the old USB either. That could just mean they made it differently (not unlikely given they'd be slimming down the box) as I think it's unlikely that they flat out removed it.

esc said:
Not at all. PS3 slim leak thread was at 15 pages by the time I had woken up.
In fairness, if we just had a motherboard to go on, that would have likely gone the same way.

My comparison was more that a bunch of people said it was legit, a bunch said bullshit.

glaurung

Oh, PS3 slim threads. I remember how I tapped F5 in some weird-ass Philippines forum that started talking English just to make itself understandable for the thousands who flocked there.

And what a great piece of gear the PS3 slim turned out to be.

*wipes a nostalgia tear

DogWelder

Psychotext said:
In fairness, if we just had a motherboard to go on, that would have likely gone the same way.

My comparison was more that a bunch of people said it was legit, a bunch said bullshit.
Yeah, that's true. I think the majority said it was bullshit at first 'cause of the weird form factor. Perhaps we're a little more accepting due to that experience.

Coolermaster BRANDED fan?

Seems fake to me.

Surely even if the fans were supplied by coolermaster these companies would all have unbranded OEM units. Not like people are suppose to open their 360's and see advertising :lol

Top Bottom