• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: New Xbox 360 Model Slims Down + Technology confuses Kotaku

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
If it exists, it's probably going to be announced closer to October. GC and TGS seem like better bets.
Oh come on, I hope they announce it at E3, and price drop the current model to keep it moving. It can't be that hard, unless it's the 2011 Mustang all over again...

sun-drop

would any 1 serously be brave enough to buy a 360 slim?? .. MS haven't exactly proven themselve able to make a sturdy product ..and to shrink it down where you'd think any issues would mean double the trouble .. umm yeh. pass.

but that said, did wonders for reenergizing ps3 sales .. so def a good idea.

Reckoner

An announcement of a Slim version would make me sad. Bought a new Xbox 360 because my old Xbox 360 broke last week and probably I'd want a Slim.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
ahhhmmmggggg ohhh noeeezzzzz

biggest piece of non-news ever. but i dislike kotaku, so whatever, they deserve it.

sun-drop said:
would any 1 serously be brave enough to buy a 360 slim?? .. MS haven't exactly proven themselve able to make a sturdy product ..and to shrink it down where you'd think any issues would mean double the trouble .. umm yeh. pass.

Not really. Smaller motherboard, processor, etc. means less heat. MS wouldn't, or rather shouldn't, make a billion dollar mistake twice. If they want a good second impression with their console's reliability, this is it.

adelante

WasteLand Soldier said:
e3 isnt a good reason? sorry. i'll wait for ellen next time.
Sure, E3's a good reason. IF THERE'S NEWS OF THEM SHOWING THE SLIM OFF AT THAT EVENT you ass!

Seriously though, people usually bump news-related threads with news, not enquiries.

sun-drop said:

Lets be fair. NES was junk when it came to reading carts after a while. Early revisions of PSX and early revisions of PS2 slim had awful laser problems too. Most of Sony and Nintendo's systems are solid but they had their issues at times.

Xbox 1 was pretty solid. The original 360 (non-HDMI) was bad and the original HDMI revision was garbage. Since then they've improved reliability many times over. To the point where there was a repair shop which claimed last year that 360 is now the most reliable of the 3 platforms.

And in general, when you shrink hardware (the size of the die) components become cheaper, more energy efficient and more reliable. They've already shrunk the internals with the Jasper and I haven't heard of any major problems with it.

sun-drop said:
would any 1 serously be brave enough to buy a 360 slim?? .. MS haven't exactly proven themselve able to make a sturdy product ..

Sure they have, the original Xbox is built like a brick and newer Xbox 360 revisions are as reliable as anything on the market. But of course there's a risk with being an early adopter of new hardware, that risk is always there and is not limited to Microsoft.

And a region free machine would be a dream come true, but I sincerely doubt we'll see that happen.

I really can't see them announcing a slim at E3 unless they were plannign to launch it a week or two later. How many potential buyers will put their purchase on hold until the Slim shows up? If anything there will be an announcement of a new bundle at E3 which will be a last gasp attempt to start clearing the curent stock before the Slim launches.

I hope that the Slim replaces all current SKUs on the market, and MS don't market the Slim as a 'Premium' SKU which will cost extra.... My 360 warranty is up in December, I'd like a cost effective way to replace it (and then sneakily move my old 360 to my GF's house..... give me something to do in the evening when she's watching her trashy shows!)

/This post assumes the Slim exists, naturally!

Massa

Region free would require Microsoft to piss off publishers for the benefit of their consumers.

In other words: :lol

Walshicus

Aspiring said:
While the thread is here is there any cjance that a new 360 slim could be region free completely? Would love a new "safe" 360, but live in PAL and all my games are US.
How would we know??

Burai

shitonmychest57
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Well, at least there's a precedent now, publishers don't seem to be too pissed off at Sony.

It won't be region free for the same reason that PSone/PS2 BC isn't region free on the PS3. Region locking will be part of the publishing contract for each game.

Pooya

What's the point of region locking these days? it worked great for SONY and no publisher is complaining about that, there are tons Japanese only 360 games that I want to play (mostly shooters) but I can't, it could increase software sales.

DocStar

Neo Member
My third 360 broke the day Alan Wake arrived. I am now waiting for Microsoft to get their shit together and announce a reliable Slim SKU at E3. If they don't they have lost another customer to their shitty faulty hardware. Come on Microsoft! 4 360 SKU's in nearly 5 years. You should fire your whole Quality Assurence Department!

Burai

shitonmychest57
miladesn said:
What's the point of region locking these days? it worked great for SONY and no publisher is complaining about that, there are tons Japanese only 360 games that I want to play (mostly shooters) but I can't, it could increase software sales.

Publishers do have the option to make their games region free on 360. It's just that most don't.

For a lot of Japanese publishers there's more money to be made by licensing their games to a proper western publisher than there is to sell a few copies to the diehards on the grey market.

Burai said:
For a lot of Japanese publishers there's more money to be made by licensing their games to a proper western publisher than there is to sell a few copies to the diehards on the grey market.

Although they could still do that if their releases were region free. Like you said, only the diehards would bother with importing. You could say that smaller publishers only cater to diehards with their niche titles, but what are the chances the rights for those games would be picked up by western publishers in the first place? There are some exceptions, but they are few and far between.

Burai

shitonmychest57
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Although they could still do that if their releases were region free. Like you said, only the diehards would bother with importing. You could say that smaller publishers only cater to diehards with their niche titles, but what are the chances the rights for those games would be picked up by western publishers in the first place? There are some exceptions, but they are few and far between.

You can charge a far higher licence fee if there's no alternative.

Burai said:
You can charge a far higher licence fee if there's no alternative.

There's still the fact Sony's been getting away with it.

Like I already said, it would be foolish to expect things to change with the possible release of Xbox 360 slim, but region free games are definitely on the very top of my list of must have features for next gen consoles. Seriously, region locked gaming is just crap.

DocStar said:
My third 360 broke the day Alan Wake arrived. I am now waiting for Microsoft to get their shit together and announce a reliable Slim SKU at E3. If they don't they have lost another customer to their shitty faulty hardware. Come on Microsoft! 4 360 SKU's in nearly 5 years. You should fire your whole Quality Assurence Department!
4 revisions in 4.5 years isn't much (this slim model will be the fifth). It has nothing to do with QA and everything to do with lowering costs. Die shrinks lower costs first of all. The fact that they make the console produce less heat and use less power is an added bonus.

Making a slimmer version of the console is just so that they can get a sales boost. They don't really care much about RROD at this point. It's no longer more of a concern than YLOD on PS3.

I don't think there has been a single confirmed RROD case with a jasper model. At least not what I've seen.

miladesn said:

Well at least with the xbox to have a region free game it has to be licensed and tested all around the world (so 3x the regular costs)

DocStar

Neo Member
By 4 SKU's i meant, that if I would buy another Xbox 360 now ... this would be my fourth Xbox in 4.5 Years.

And that is A LOT! Shitty Hardware Quality is shitty!

edit: the last 360 which died 2 days ago was manufactured on the 14th November of 2007. Does anyone know which Revision that is?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
red shoe paul said:
I will splurge for a slim once it's fully hacked.
I never owned a 360, so it'll be a perfect time to get one depending how the slim is.

Yar matey avast

WasteLand Soldier said:
e3 isnt a good reason? sorry. i'll wait for ellen next time.
You mean E3 is going on right now and there were some new developments on this topic??

No there were not. Yes, wait for Ellen next time, whatever that is supposed to mean because you didn't actually wait for E3.

Apath

Wouldn't it make more sense to announce the 360 slim to coincide with the launch of Natal? You know, to actually drive the idea of Natal being a whole new ball game by releasing the slim day/date with Natal?

TheOddOne

infinityBCRT said:
Lets be fair. NES was junk when it came to reading carts after a while. Early revisions of PSX and early revisions of PS2 slim had awful laser problems too. Most of Sony and Nintendo's systems are solid but they had their issues at times.

Xbox 1 was pretty solid. The original 360 (non-HDMI) was bad and the original HDMI revision was garbage. Since then they've improved reliability many times over. To the point where there was a repair shop which claimed last year that 360 is now the most reliable of the 3 platforms.

And in general, when you shrink hardware (the size of the die) components become cheaper, more energy efficient and more reliable. They've already shrunk the internals with the Jasper and I haven't heard of any major problems with it.
Sauce or that is a just >:<

Kenak said:
Wouldn't it make more sense to announce the 360 slim to coincide with the launch of Natal? You know, to actually drive the idea of Natal being a whole new ball game by releasing the slim day/date with Natal?

Don't say such logical things. It's not the spirit of gaf

DocStar said:
By 4 SKU's i meant, that if I would buy another Xbox 360 now ... this would be my fourth Xbox in 4.5 Years.

edit: the last 360 which died 2 days ago was manufactured on the 14th November of 2007. Does anyone know which Revision that is?
That would be a falcon model. The jasper model wasn't available until end of 2008/early 2009.

I hope you didn't buy 3 360s... I've had 3 break down on me, but I've never had to spend a dime on getting a "new" one. Though I will probably get a new one sooner or later since I'm tired of having an old shitty zephyr that could break any second.

polyh3dron said:
You mean E3 is going on right now and there were some new developments on this topic??

No there were not. Yes, wait for Ellen next time, whatever that is supposed to mean because you didn't actually wait for E3.

ellen.jpg

e3 is in 1 month. MS is usually leaky as all hell when it starts getting within this range so I thought it wouldnt be a bad idea to atleast get this up to get someone digging somewhere or some loose lips talking. is that so wrong?

FrankT

TheOddOne said:
Sauce or that is a just >:<

SquareTrade found that Xbox 360 quality has improved dramatically since the third quarter of 2008, shortly before the 65nm CPU/GPU "Jasper" model was introduced. Since then, first-year failure rates have plummeted to below the 4 percent the company projected. Looking at 500 units purchased in 2009, SquareTrade found that less than 1 percent had suffered the Red Ring of Death.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...r~y2009m12d5-360-failure-rate-now-less-than-4

This is the last report that I have seen. The rates have come down a lot with the Jasper. I believe the same study said 10% on the PS3 and the Wii around 2.7%.

Still think Slim will be a fall reveal personally.

Duelist

WasteLand Soldier said:
ellen.jpg

e3 is in 1 month. MS is usually leaky as all hell when it starts getting within this range so I thought it wouldnt be a bad idea to atleast get this up to get someone digging somewhere or some loose lips talking. is that so wrong?

There's a lot of "rumours" that pop up pre-e3 every year, and there's no solid fact for whether this one in particular is true or not. So there's no real point discussing something that may or may not be true.

Hell I could make up 5 different "rumours" right now.

Subliminal said:
Well at least with the xbox to have a region free game it has to be licensed and tested all around the world (so 3x the regular costs)
Don't Region Free titles still have to ESRB rated in order for the Parental Protection to work?

DocStar said:

Probably an early model falcon.

They were:
Xenon - initial model.
Xephyr - Xenon with a HDMI port.
Falcon - 2nd generation - late 2007.
Jasper - 3rd generation - late 2008.

The different models went through changes as well. There may have been a heat sync change mid 2nd generation, but I'm unsure. Falcons and Jaspers are much more reliable than Xenons or Xephyrs. The slim may be the rumored Valhalla. I'm sure a full teardown will be done by a reputable company shortly after it's released. If you really want more data, it may be worth looking at modder sites.

EDIT: Forgot the Opus. It's a Falcon that fits in a Xenon chassis. If you send in a Xenon for repair, they'll replace the motherboard with an Opus.

jaydogg691

I need a new leak to keep me interested in the Slim. My current 360 is constantly over heating and I still have Splinter Cell to finish before I get anything else. Best Buy has Arcade deal with a $30 gift card and I really consider picking it up.

Prine

Banned
Kenak said:

I bought a new Elite in January, if they do come out with Slim + Natal, i will bag that day one. Keep my old 360 for LAN parties i guess.

Cant0na said:
will they have different color slims? like the ds or how the wii was supposed to have?

i want a blue 360slim

Don't count on it. Slim is gonna be the main Natal machine, and they're going to need a popular and simple color as white or black, to sell it with.

My son's Elite died on him about 6 months ago, so I started letting him use my 360. Swapped out my HDD (mine was probably a launch system). Since I'd barely used my 360, I figured I'd get a solid year out of it before it died a horrible, horrible 3RoD on him. Nope. 3 months later (and about 4 days after he got a new game) it died after relatively light use from him over those 3 months.

This house will probably never see another Xbox in it again. Which is sad to say, as we had 3 Xbox's in our home, each logging in hundreds of hours of gameplay. But my boy is saving up his money for a PS3 now in hopes it lasts longer for him.

Top Bottom