• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: New Xbox 360 Model Slims Down + Technology confuses Kotaku

DMeisterJ

Banned
Sapiens said:
When will people realize that wifi on a console is useless? You've GOT to have that sucker wired if you even want to think about using them for their intended networking capabilities.
Wrong. My 360 and PS3 are both wireless and I stream HD Movies and play online with no lag.

Vigilant Walrus said:
2egffq9.gif

What movie is this?

Sapiens said:
When will people realize that wifi on a console is useless? You've GOT to have that sucker wired if you even want to think about using them for their intended networking capabilities.
for what? HD Video streaming? because the difference in latency between wired and wifi from a router to a console, even in a mansion, would average out at under 1ms

snoopeasystreet said:
I think we'll see some new hardware during e3 which will be released with natal (presumably October). They'll cut the price of old models in August/September and hope that halo reach + price cut can get rid of a lot of old stock.

WiFi is more then fine for online gaming, unless I have magic WiFi that doesn't work like yours. Also, people might not be fans of having wires everywhere.

I have both my HD systems hardwired as my PS3 will skip and pause video if it runs wireless. Wired, it works perfectly fine. I was online last gen so my house is already set up to have the router by the TV since my PS2/Xbox/GameCube/Dreamcast needed it last gen.

My laptop is wireless so it's kind of silly to have my router with my computer.

pr0cs said:
there is no way I can see them bundling in Wifi. I'd love to be wrong for those people who endlessly complain about the 'no wifi' but considering how much money they make on the accessories I don't expect this generation will ever see a 360 with built-in wifi.

I can agree here. Just look at the new HD TIVO Premiere that all the tech logs are ranting and raving about and it doesn't have built in wireless. Also, the vast majority of stand alone Blu-ray players with Netflix steaming don't have wifi either. I was going to buy one for a buddy for a gift and had to hunt down the special version with Wifi then pay $40 more for it.

Salacious Crumb

The Faceless Master said:
for what? HD Video streaming? because the difference in latency between wired and wifi from a router to a console, even in a mansion, would average out at under 1ms

It's not latency that's the issue, it's packet loss.

What about

- HDD < Could we see 500 GB? Damn I still think it would be little. I have several 100 Gigs of Music alone, I would like to have from my Itunes on my 360.
If the adapter could be opened, and a 2,5'' HDD could be inserted, then it would be like PS3. Infinity upgradeable.

- Size/Weight/Heat/Noise < Sony always has the advantage because they are a hardware company. Microsoft is not. But if they could reduce, the Size and weight, and make it run cooler and less noisy. It would be amazing. PSTwo was 50% smaller than the old PS2. I still use it because it's such a small and beautiful DVD player. It looks really cool.
A Small 360 Would also be a cool media center device. If the weight was reduced as well, and Hard Drive upgraded, maybe people would have their movies and music librarys chugged along with it.

- Colors < It's been 4 years. It's a about damn time they got some new ways of letting people customize. We saw the new 360 Box Art. Was not that different. Maybe something like Gun Metal, Silver, Carbon Fibre, Matte Black, Piano rubber black. Lol, it would be cool if they could make a beautiful grey design. Grey electronics is so 80s and 90s crappy desktop computers. Everything is so Apple now-adays, including the regular 360 in design. A radical departure would be cool.

- SKU < Everyone said that Arcade SKU was for retards, but in retrospect it was a smart enough move by Microsoft. It sold well in some regions. I even know a few hardcore gamers who had no interest in online, so they sticked to a Arcade.
I think again they should have 2-3 SKU's. One Low, with a 40GB Harddrive, and a few accessories bundled, something along the lines of a Elite with a 120 GB and some good stuff bundled.
And then they should have a high end 400 USD SKU, with 500 GB HDD, Blu-Ray, Wi-Fi, Extra Controllers, faceplate, few oldie games(bundle it with Table Tennis/Halo 3/Mass Effect or something?)

500GB Drive would be nice, but I bet it is going to stay at 250gb for the max.

All I want is a smaller, quieter, 360. Wifi is not huge for me as I paid for the G wifi adapter already. Works fine for me streaming HD and playing games online.

Yeah as most of the guys are saying, I don't think it will be announced at E3. They will only announce at E3 if they would be releasing it in the next few weeks if which is true, we would have had some leaked pictures of the console by now.

Then again it's E3.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Jtyettis said:
I'm almost surprised they are putting in as they make a killing off those things, but it's likely they believe they can keep selling to those the original base of non-slim owners.
If the X360 Slim has built-in wireless, it'll probably be wireless-G so that MS can still sell the wireless-N adapter. A win-win as far as their bottom line is concerned.

I believe the built-in wireless in the PS3 and Wii are both wireless-G, so it'll be a feature-for-feature match if that happens.

DasRaven

Vigilant Walrus said:
What about

- SKU < Everyone said that Arcade SKU was for retards, but in retrospect it was a smart enough move by Microsoft. It sold well in some regions. I even know a few hardcore gamers who had no interest in online, so they sticked to a Arcade.
I think again they should have 2-3 SKU's. One Low, with a 40GB Harddrive, and a few accessories bundled, something along the lines of a Elite with a 120 GB and some good stuff bundled.
And then they should have a high end 400 USD SKU, with 500 GB HDD, Blu-Ray, Wi-Fi, Extra Controllers, faceplate, few oldie games(bundle it with Table Tennis/Halo 3/Mass Effect or something?)

Going back to multiple functionally disparate SKUs is a very bad idea. But keeping the cost positions is. So, I think the best course would be to make the Arcade SKU just the skeleton of the Elite SKU with a user accessible HDD & B/G wifi for all platforms.

$149/Arcade - 8GB 360 flash drive, 1600 Live Points.
$249/Natal - 16GB 360 flash drive, Motion Camera
$299/Elite - 250GB HDD, 2 wireless controllers, Wireless N Adapter.

This way the pack-ins are all profit center items and thus can be dropped later to lower the price.

AzBat

sweetvar26 said:
Yeah as most of the guys are saying, I don't think it will be announced at E3. They will only announce at E3 if they would be releasing it in the next few weeks if which is true, we would have had some leaked pictures of the console by now.

Then again it's E3.

I understand reasonings like this, but I don't necessarily agree. If the launch on Natal is treated as just an add-on, then yes announcing a slimmed down SKU 5 months ahead of its launch is crazy. However, everything we've heard MS say about Natal is that they are treating it like a new console launch. With that said showing off a slimmed down SKU at E3 is perfectly in line with previous launches at E3. They showed off the Xbox 360 at E3 and it didn't ship for another 5 months. The original Xbox was unveiled January 2001 at CES, but launch price & date wasn't announced till E3 in May and then it shipped 5 months later November.

With that said I can see MS announcing the Slim model with Natal at E3. Drop the price of the current SKUs to clear inventory & make room for the Slim model. They can then launch the Slim ahead of Natal or hold it till the Natal launch. I can see the former more likely if they announce a price drop at E3, but the latter is more likely if they wait to announce a price drop.

I guess we'll know for sure in about 24 hours.

FrankT

Well Annoying Old Party Man is saying it's going to be revealed at E3 which is totally surprising to me. I've been saying they would announce it close to fall for awhile now and didn't really see it happening otherwise. So I would say if they reveal now then to see some deals in July to clear stock and price drop Aug/Sept with the first launch of the slim around the time of the Halo Reach launch then. Am hyped.

twinturbo2 said:
If the X360 Slim has built-in wireless, it'll probably be wireless-G so that MS can still sell the wireless-N adapter. A win-win as far as their bottom line is concerned.

I believe the built-in wireless in the PS3 and Wii are both wireless-G, so it'll be a feature-for-feature match if that happens.

I thought the Wii was 802.11b

Top Bottom