• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NGP 1st party launch lineup revealed and launching this year before Japan

Kuran

Banned
evangd007 said:
It will be a handheld PS3 as much as the PSP was a handheld PS2. In other words, not so much.

I don't see NGP Twisted Metal on that list. Not interested.

Eh? Besides the missing analog, the PSP was a portable PS2. Specs and controller-input wise the NGP is as close as it gets.

Takao

Banned
SSJ1Goku said:
What are you basing this on? If they price the damn thing right I honestly believe they have a chance to take 1st place, which is why I said what I said.

Exclusive software. Sony's first party isn't popular enough to compete with the likes of Mario and Pokemon.

KAL2006

Banned
evangd007 said:
It will be a handheld PS3 as much as the PSP was a handheld PS2. In other words, not so much.

Obviously it won't be as powerful as PS3, but it would look good for a handheld, hell that Uncharted NGP looked as good as Uncharted PS3, NGP can get away with lower geometry, downscaled graphics, lower quality textures and etc, due to the screen being smaller than a TV screen, many people who seen Uncharted NGP on the big screen at the conference said the game didn't look as good, however when people saw Uncharted NGP on the OLED screen itself many people said it looked better than Uncharted 1 on PS3.

I was quite happy about PSP graphics, but the thing that disappointed me with PSP graphics was the jaggies and ghosting, and NGP will most likely get rid of these issues with it's high res OLED screen. As for the value of the NGP, it's not a portable with the same power as PS3, it's a portable with less power than PS3, but higher than Wii/Xbox, with a high res OLED touchscreen and 2 cameras. I think $300 would be worth it for an NGP.

Apath

KAL2006 said:
For folks who doubt Bend with Unchartewd, here is a review of Resistance Retribution
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwd6u_Fx8eU

Looking at the review it seems that they done a better job than insomniac, it's only a shame they had to work with underpowered hardware and 1 analog nub.
Holy shit, that multiplayer actually looked good. Is the community still going strong or has it all fizzled out?

FoneBone

Kuran said:
Eh? Besides the missing analog, the PSP was a portable PS2. Specs and controller-input wise the NGP is as close as it gets.
Er, no. The PSP could do "PS2-ish" graphics, but there was still a major gap in raw horsepower. The same will be the case with the PS3 and the NGP.

Father_Brain said:
Has this site broken any news on a dedicated gaming handheld before? If I had to guess, I'd say that he just took the prices from that Ubisoft survey a few months back as fact, especially since he just offhandedly mentions the supposed pricing as though it's already public knowledge, rather than hyping it up as an exclusive scoop.

$250 isn't completely outside the realm of possibility, but I'll believe it when Sony announces it (or when a more credible source than a no-name mobile site reports it, whichever comes first).

he's not a no name site. he's the source for pretty much everything related to the mobile space, smartphones over everything.

Takao

Banned
Kenak said:
Holy shit, that multiplayer actually looked good. Is the community still going strong or has it all fizzled out?

There was about 160 people online at 3AM in January, so yeah. I'd be careful though, hackers have ruined that game like most PSP games.

KAL2006

Banned
°°ToMmY°° said:
he's not a no name site. he's the source for pretty much everything related to the mobile space, smartphones over everything.

Yes but the problem with he source is that they just casually state it is $250 as if it is not news. If the site said something like "we can exclusively reveal that our sources say NGP will be $250". I am guessing they just put $250 as an assumption, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

°°ToMmY°° said:

Well, I've never heard of the site before, and traffic statistics indicate that it's pretty obscure. If someone can point to the author breaking any news on dedicated gaming hardware, I'd be more inclined to treat it as credible.

FoneBone said:
Er, no. The PSP could do "PS2-ish" graphics, but there was still a major gap in raw horsepower. The same will be the case with the PS3 and the NGP.

as far as the games look I'd disagree. Your average consumer (and I don't mean GAF-dwellers who count polygons in stills on forums) can't tell the difference between a good PSP game and a PS2 game.

Even the PSP to PS2 ports back this up- the ones I own (shattered memories, silent hill origins) look a little like early to mid life PS2 games. they're a little rough, but don't stand out as not belonging on the system. actual AAA titles fare much better.

FoneBone

Manmademan said:
as far as the games look I'd disagree. Your average consumer (and I don't mean GAF-dwellers who count polygons in stills on forums) can't tell the difference between a good PSP game and a PS2 game.

Even the PSP to PS2 ports back this up- the ones I own (shattered memories, silent hill origins) look a little like early to mid life PS2 games. they're a little rough, but don't stand out as not belonging on the system. actual AAA titles fare much better.
I'm not arguing that, just saying that is a gap - it's enough for me to think that there won't be nearly as many direct, full-content PS3-to-NGP ports as many seem to be expecting.

KAL2006

Banned
FoneBone said:
I'm not arguing that, just saying that is a gap - it's enough for me to think that there won't be nearly as many direct, full-content PS3-to-NGP ports as many seem to be expecting.

It depends how much a developer is willing to downgrade a game, Rockstar managed to release Vice City and Liberty City on PSP, the cities were exactly the same apart from a few downgrades. Burnout Legends was basically Burnout 3, it even had some of the same levels reused, but of course the graphics were slightly downgraded. Of course it sometimes depends on the game, I don't expect a graphically demanding game like Uncharted 3 to be ported to NGP, but a game like Mortal Kombat or SSFIV (hell that was released on 3DS) can easily be ported. I also expect many future PSN releases to be released for both NGP/PS3, didn't a developer say they were able to port WipeOut HD to NGP without any downgrades at all. Anyways I would prefer new games rather than ports, however there are some ports I wouldn't mind having.

KAL2006

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
More console downgrades, just like the PSP.

Le sigh, can't we get some fresh franchises please?

depends on the game, I would fucking love ports of:
MvC3
Elder Scrolls
Mortal Kombat
Twisted Metal
COD
SSFIV

I am playing through God of war: Ghost of Sparta on the psp...I am blown away by the graphics. I don't think it is quite as impressive as Ghost of War 2, but it comes close, and has as much impact...If they can do a similar effort towards GoW3 on the NGP...

Actually the best bits in Ghost of Sparda impressed me more than the crappy labrynth sections in GoW3....obviously the Gaia and Kronos sections are a whole different kettle of fish though

SSJ1Goku

Banned
Takao said:
Exclusive software. Sony's first party isn't popular enough to compete with the likes of Mario and Pokemon.
Exclusive software on a handheld does not mean shit when the price is not right.

SSJ1Goku said:
Exclusive software on a handheld does not mean shit when the price is not right.

True to a certain extent, but if the main reason for 3DS' current sales really is its price (and not its extremely weak software lineup), that's not much of an argument for a device that will (probably) be at least $50 more.

FoneBone

SSJ1Goku said:
I don't know. I'm not saying 3DS isn't overpriced, but I don't think price and software are as separate as you're making them out to be. For a consumer, I'd argue that the software lineup is the single biggest factor in determining whether the hardware is worth the asking price.

yurinka

Father_Brain said:
True to a certain extent, but if the main reason for 3DS' current sales really is its price (and not its extremely weak software lineup), that's not much of an argument for a device that will (probably) be at least $50 more.
You also have to consider 3DS still don't have Pokemon, Mario or other of this typical DS insane sellers.
KAL2006 said:
Yes but the problem with he source is that they just casually state it is $250 as if it is not news. If the site said something like "we can exclusively reveal that our sources say NGP will be $250". I am guessing they just put $250 as an assumption, I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Ubisoft previously mentioned $250 for wifi only SKU and $350 for wifi+3G SKU in a survey. Maybe this is their (weak) source.

theBishop

Banned
FoneBone said:

Well right, but like last go-round it speaks to the caliber of games. NGP games won't look as good as PS3/360, but you're getting roughly the same experience. And even more so now that there's parity in controls. The GTA "Stories" games had low res textures, way fewer pedestrians, and simpler car models, but few people denied it was a "real" GTA experience.

I daresay the tech inside NGP is what Nintendo should've done with Wii in 2006. They might have had more luck with 3rd parties, and could still win every price war.

theBishop

Banned
Quixzlizx said:
Only a clown would claim that there are no PSP-original franchises.

True, but the only originals Sony has announced for NGP so far are quirky puzzlers. It's still early, there's no equivalent to Infected, Pursuit Force, Untold Legends, Kingdom of Heaven, Tokobot, Death Jr, etc. Granted a lot of those games sucked, but they still represented an early commitment to original IP.

I wouldn't mind seeing some cancelled PS3 games (*cough* eight days *cough*) get resurrected on NGP.

I will buy this thing in an instant if it's sub-$300 with at least 1 quality launch game (on the other hand it'll play PSP games and I missed quite a few of those). Dual sticks, awesome games, getting to play all the great PSP games I've missed out on (sold my PSP a few years back), sweetness.

Unless this coming generation of consoles blows me away, I might just stick with a 3DS, NGP, and PC. Other than the odd Xbox exclusive I'll pretty much have all my bases covered in terms of franchises.

Can't wait for E3. :D

KAL2006

Banned
theBishop said:
True, but the only originals Sony has announced for NGP so far are quirky puzzlers. It's still early, there's no equivalent to Infected, Pursuit Force, Untold Legends, Kingdom of Heaven, Tokobot, Death Jr, etc. Granted a lot of those games sucked, but they still represented an early commitment to original IP.

I wouldn't mind seeing some cancelled PS3 games (*cough* eight days *cough*) get resurrected on NGP.

Most of those games you just mentioned are 3rd party games, I would at least wait for E3 before you judge the games of NGP, 3rd parties haven't said anything yet. As for new IPs from Sony themselves, so far we have Smart As, Gravity Daze, Broken, LittleDeviants and Reality Fighters. Thats more new IPs than what Nintendo has for 3DS and NGP hasn't even been released. As for Japanese games, well I would wait for TGS (or E3 maybe), as it is obvious Sony are really trying to appeal to western gamers which is where the PSP has failed to capture, Japanese games should be there soon enough, Falcom and Nippon Ichi have already said they are working on games for NGP.

KAL2006

Banned
here is a spanish website that has a rumored launch line up as well
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://www.nicagamerz.com/v6/news/1102/rumor-confirmacion-de-titulos-de-lanzamiento-de-ngppsp2/

Thanks to a reliable source who works for NICAGAMERZ SCEJ (Sony Computer Entertainment Japan) has sent us a list of titles confirmed by studies of SONY 1st Party that will be available when it is officially released NGP/PSP2.

Uncharted (temporary name)
ModNation Racers (temporary name)
Smart As
Wipeout 2048
Little Deviants
Next Hot Shots Golf

This list of games will be announced officially at E3 2011, which revealed the full names of the games.

The biggest surprise that we send to our source, is that the NGP/PSP2 be launched first in the U.S. before the rest of the world by the end of 2011, between October and December, and will be released in Japan NGP/PSP2 for early 2012, from January to March, where Europe will be the last to receive it from January to June 2012.

At the same time our source, we confirm that during that E3 2011 will tell you which games will be available for the launch of NGP/PSP2 by 3rd Party developers of SONY, where the only thing we said was, "Wait a few surprises games that will be available for NGP/PSP2 by other companies. "

Pretty much the same as the other source except there list adds Hot Shots Golf, and states US will get it first, then Japan, then Europe.

daevv

I don't think any Hot Shots Golf game has ever been released in NA first. The last couple on PSP and the one on (only one shameful) PS3 were out almost a year before here. They are great games and do sell well so that is a good reason as any to have it at launch.

yurinka

KAL2006 said:
here is a spanish website that has a rumored launch line up as well
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://www.nicagamerz.com/v6/news/1102/rumor-confirmacion-de-titulos-de-lanzamiento-de-ngppsp2/

Thanks to a reliable source who works for NICAGAMERZ SCEJ (Sony Computer Entertainment Japan) has sent us a list of titles confirmed by studies of SONY 1st Party that will be available when it is officially released NGP/PSP2.

Uncharted (temporary name)
ModNation Racers (temporary name)
Smart As
Wipeout 2048
Little Deviants
Next Hot Shots Golf

This list of games will be announced officially at E3 2011, which revealed the full names of the games.

The biggest surprise that we send to our source, is that the NGP/PSP2 be launched first in the U.S. before the rest of the world by the end of 2011, between October and December, and will be released in Japan NGP/PSP2 for early 2012, from January to March, where Europe will be the last to receive it from January to June 2012.

At the same time our source, we confirm that during that E3 2011 will tell you which games will be available for the launch of NGP/PSP2 by 3rd Party developers of SONY, where the only thing we said was, "Wait a few surprises games that will be available for NGP/PSP2 by other companies. "

Pretty much the same as the other source except there list adds Hot Shots Golf, and states US will get it first, then Japan, then Europe.
I'm Spanish and it's the first time I see this site. I think they just copy pasted the previous rumor and added some guesses.

BTW Modnation Racers was already released in PSP so I doubt they use "Modnation Racers" even as an internal placeholder codename for a NGP sequel or (2nd one) portable port.

KAL2006

Banned
daevv said:
I don't think any Hot Shots Golf game has ever been released in NA first. The last couple on PSP and the one on (only one shameful) PS3 were out almost a year before here. They are great games and do sell well so that is a good reason as any to have it at launch.

Maybe they listed Hot Shots because it will be a launch title for Japan

yurinka

KAL2006 said:
Maybe they listed Hot Shots because it will be a launch title for Japan
Well, I would say they included it because it was the only playable and almost done game in the NGP reveal conference video, in addition to Uncharted.

Takao

Banned
daevv said:

There's actually Hots Shots Mini-Golf game on PSN that SCEA and SCEE haven't bothered translating (it also has that Sony cat). I believe it was released on the Hong Kong PSN in English, but don't hold me to that.

onipex

FoneBone said:
I don't know. I'm not saying 3DS isn't overpriced, but I don't think price and software are as separate as you're making them out to be. For a consumer, I'd argue that the software lineup is the single biggest factor in determining whether the hardware is worth the asking price.

Yup, the only people that buy consoles before the killer software comes out are those sold on the hardware and potential. That is usually very few. It is rare that a console launches with a killer app like Wii Sports was for the Wii.

KAL2006

Banned
yurinka said:
I'm Spanish and it's the first time I see this site. I think they just copy pasted the previous rumor and added some guesses.

BTW Modnation Racers was already released in PSP so I doubt they use "Modnation Racers" even as an internal placeholder codename for a NGP sequel or (2nd one) portable port.

But they do state they got there source from SCEJ where as Jolt says they got their details from a retail source. Also their launch dates are more specific than the Jolt source. However it still could be bullshit we shall see at E3 if any of this holds true.

Kuran

Banned
theBishop said:

Dude, we've only had the unveiling by Sony where they decided to hold back any third party announcements. Judge NGP when E3 is over.

daevv

Takao said:
There's actually Hots Shots Mini-Golf game on PSN that SCEA and SCEE haven't bothered translating (it also has that Sony cat). I believe it was released on the Hong Kong PSN in English, but don't hold me to that.

Sweet! I'll have to check out the HK store when PSN comes back. Love Toro!

toro.jpg

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
why would you make a "fresh exclusive game" for the NGP when you can put it on the PSN and have it be available for both NGP and PS3?

i think that'd be the ultimate plan for some developers, and also sony. They have to push PlayStation Suite somehow.

SykoTech

theBishop said:
True, but the only originals Sony has announced for NGP so far are quirky puzzlers.

Well, there's Gravity Daze. Not really sure what it is, but it definitely doesn't look like a puzzler. But yeah, it's just one game.

Ryuuga

Banned
Kuran said:
Dude, we've only had the unveiling by Sony where they decided to hold back any third party announcements. Judge NGP when E3 is over.

Why bother? It's easier to disregard it now. Lack of information during the initial unveiling gives people more to complain about. Asinine comparisons and conclusions are drawn, it's how it is and always has been.

theBishop

Banned
Ryuuga said:
Why bother? It's easier to disregard it now. Lack of information during the initial unveiling gives people more to complain about. Asinine comparisons and conclusions are drawn, it's how it is and always has been.

Am i a Sony troll now?

Oppo

davepoobond said:
why would you make a "fresh exclusive game" for the NGP when you can put it on the PSN and have it be available for both NGP and PS3?

i think that'd be the ultimate plan for some developers, and also sony. They have to push PlayStation Suite somehow.

Well devs who can pull off a launch title often have a boost of sales, just due to the fact that people need something to play on their new NGP, and the selection is always limited at the outset.

Do you think "The Biggest Loser" would be a selling game outside of Kinect? Hell no, it would be
rightly
considered shovelware.

Lonely1 said:
Resistance: Retribution is a solid game. The best Resistance game, imo.
It is a solid game, don't know if i'd mark it over R1 but yeah.

Also Killzone: Liberation sort of bucks the "watered down port" idea, as it's a completely different game (isometric tactical shooter) and rather good as well.

I would kill for a sequel to killzone: revelation. It was an absolutely amazing game. Hope guerrilla finds some time to' develop it. I,d take it as an episodic DL game too

Spiegel

Uncharted as a launch title is more than expected now.

http://www.scratchimage.com/

We are pleased to announce our involvement in Sony's flagship franchise, and newly announced PSP2/NGP launch title, Uncharted Portable (working title).

And Sony Bend has been working on the game for a long time

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...t=clnk&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

Lead Graphics Programmer
Sony Computer Entertainment America

Public Company; SNE; Entertainment industry

January 2009 – Present (2 years 4 months)

Responsible for architecting and developing the core rendering technology behind Uncharted NGP.

Takao

Banned
Pretty interesting if Sony's had some specs nailed down in early 2009. I'm not really surprised Bend has been working since then, since that's about when Resistance would've gone gold.

Spiegel

Takao said:
Pretty interesting if Sony's had some specs nailed down in early 2009. I'm not really surprised Bend has been working since then, since that's about when Resistance would've gone gold.

There were rumors about NGP using the SGX543MP4 as early as mid 2009.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wipeout + Uncharted sound like an amazing launch lineup (and of course the Falcom game for the J-launch)... but I hope this isn't a repeat of the PSP situation where we get a fantastic lineup with nothing but table scraps for a few years afterward...

djtiesto said:
Wipeout + Uncharted sound like an amazing launch lineup (and of course the Falcom game for the J-launch)... but I hope this isn't a repeat of the PSP situation where we get a fantastic lineup with nothing but table scraps for a few years afterward...

If Sony is right there with strong first party support then we wont need to owrry about it. Gamers, have just gotta buy games.

Well, I think the PSP post-launch just got fucked by the painful PS3 birth. It seemed like Sony got completely distracted scrambling to fix that whole mess, until about 3 years later people started buying lots of Monster Hunter and Sony suddenly remembered they'd put out a handheld system.

Hopefully that won't happen this time around.

Top Bottom