• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NGP 1st party launch lineup revealed and launching this year before Japan

Man

KAL2006 said:
Damn they spent 2 and half years wokring on Uncharted Portable, then it should be good, that is how long console versions take to make.
Even longer. Console versions are made in two years or less.
ND are the most effective son of a bitches in the industry.

THE:MILKMAN

Man said:

I think the first Uncharted took 3 years. 1 year for a ~12 man team to build the engine etc and 2 years with ~75 man team to make the game.

If Uncharted NGP has had the same amount of time invested, it bodes well............

Man said:

looks like they make new engine for it though. so it should take them longer to make. how long is Uncharted 1 in development?

KAL2006

Banned
Now that Uncharted Portable is likely to release for launch, and if NGP does release this year, it will be a double dose of Uncharted with Uncharted 3 and Uncharted NGP.

This in my opinion is a bad idea, I would have at least had a 1 year gap between the games. so when Uncharted 3 is old, we have Uncharted NGP in a year so Uncharted feels fresh again. I doubt I will personally by both Uncharted games at the same time, as after finishing one I will be burnt out and would want to play another franchise, I would obviously pick the other Uncharted game down the line when it gets cheap, but IMO this was a bad decision, of course I may change my mind if Uncharted NGP is the standout game for NGP launch I may have to pick it up even if I have Uncharted 3, just to have Uncharted NGP as my showcase game when I show NGP to others.

KAL2006 said:
Now that Uncharted Portable is likely to release for launch, and if NGP does release this year, it will be a double dose of Uncharted with Uncharted 3 and Uncharted NGP.

This in my opinion is a bad idea, I would have at least had a 1 year gap between the games. so when Uncharted 3 is old, we have Uncharted NGP in a year so Uncharted feels fresh again. I doubt I will personally buy both Uncharted games at the same time, as after finishing one I will be burnt out and would want to play another franchise, I would obviously pick the other Uncharted game down the line when it gets cheap, but IMO this was a bad decision, of course I may change my mind if Uncharted NGP is the standout game for NGP launch I may have to pick it up even if I have Uncharted 3, just to have Uncharted NGP as my showcase game when I show NGP to others.

I still cant ever grasp the reasoning. The lack of releasing Uncharted at launch, with the system, this year, in November, would be a terrible move. Just look at the other handheld console that released with no killer app.

If you feel you will feel burnt out then just buy the gamer later. If this system has a competent online mode, then I'm quite sure there are plenty of people who will buy both Uncharted games at launch for the rich experiences. What game would you replace Uncharted Portable with, to launch alongside NGP?

KAL2006

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
I still cant ever grasp the reasoning. The lack of releasing Uncharted at launch, with the system, this year, in November, would be a terrible move. Just look at the other handheld console that released with no killer app.

If you feel you will feel burnt out then just buy the gamer later. If this system has a competent online mode, then I'm quite sure there are plenty of people who will buy both Uncharted games at launch for the rich experiences. What game would you replace Uncharted Portable with, to launch alongside NGP?

Another top Sony IP that does not coincide with the release of another version. One example is Gran Turismo NGP (GT5 came out a year ago).

Remember last year GoW Ghost of Sparta came out a few months after GoW3, people were not bothered with the PSP game as they are already burnt out from GoW3, but if it was released apart from GoW3, it would have felt fresh again. Of course that is a bad example as all PSP games tend to flop in the west anyway, but you get my point.

Takao

Banned
KAL2006 said:
Damn they spent 2 and half years wokring on Uncharted Portable, then it should be good, that is how long console versions take to make.

The fact it's Sony Bend working on it should've told you it was good. ;) Before making PSP games they were one of SCEA's top 3 guns alongside Naughty Dog, and Insomniac.

I have to agree that Uncharted NGP (possibly) launching right alongside UC3 could be a bit concerning. There's a danger of being overshadowed especially if they are planning on pushing the MP of the console game.

I hope it works out because everything else is looking like it's in a good position. The game already looks great, they've got a good developer behind it and they've obviously given it plenty of time in the oven.

DiscoJer

Dedication Through Light said:

A new IP. You are making the same assumption as Sony is, that everyone who is a potential customer of a NGP already owns a PS3 and will double dip, just because they love Uncharted so much. While I'm sure there will be some, I think that's making a mistake.

People who have PS3s will almost certainly rather play on PS3s. That's why they have PS3s. That's why there is always so much bitching in threads about PSP games about it not being on platform X, or "Can the PS3 play PSP games?"

What I think they should have done (to be successful in the west), is have a launch title that is a AAA FPS. Part of the thing of having 2 sticks is making FPSes feasible. So prove it. Don't just rely on a COD port.

(And if they can't bribe Capcom regarding MH, they need to start busting their ass over there making a full featured clone.)

rdrr gnr

First-party support seems like a lock. But what will make the difference for me is third-party content, specifically EA.

yencid

MuseManMike said:
First-party support seems like a lock. But what will make the difference for me is third-party content, specifically EA.
EA will be there, no doubt about it in my mind.

yencid

BroHuffman said:
But with anything worthwhile?
i would think (hope) they would bring over their new and existing IPs

would love a dead space for it. Battlefield, mass effect, mirrors edge.... all games i would like to see. And of course new IPs for the NGP

neptunes

BroHuffman said:
But with anything worthwhile?
Well the thing was ONLY unveiled at the end of January, so we'll have to wait until e3 to see more about NGP games
All I hope is that the NGP has a launch line-up that at least meets the PSP's. The PSP had one of the best launch line-ups in quite a while. (Better than the GBA,3/DS,PS2,DC) If just in pure variety and depth of the titles available.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
yencid said:
i would think (hope) they would bring over their new and existing IPs

would love a dead space for it. Battlefield, mass effect, mirrors edge.... all games i would like to see. And of course new IPs for the NGP
Well, here's their entire fiscal year:

capturegn4l.png

I suspect that Battlefield and Mass Effect portable are iOS games.

FIFA, Madden, and Need For Speed ports seem likely though.

Takao

Banned
I already smh at the NHL 12 no show in the EA results thread. Hockey is an amazingly pick up and play friendly sport. Though admittedly, the sim style games EA has been making the past few years isn't very friendly to that play.

In 2K I trust.

KAL2006

Banned
nice, I would definitely like a Need for Speed game for NGP, I never played it but I heard it is more like Burnout, I was a huge fan of Burnout Legends on PSP, it was one of the first games I had for PSP. If FIFA plays exactly like the consoles games then it could be huge in Europe, they can even add team tactics using the touchscreen.

KAL2006 said:
nice, I would definitely like a Need for Speed game for NGP, I never played it but I heard it is more like Burnout, I was a huge fan of Burnout Legends on PSP, it was one of the first games I had for PSP. If FIFA plays exactly like the consoles games then it could be huge in Europe, they can even add team tactics using the touchscreen.

The new need for speed for NGP would be good...if it had autolog. I wonder if they would do Sims for NGP like they did for the launch of the 3DS.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
KAL2006 said:
This one is a bit different: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_23HBXNZi40&hd=1

If the main version does come over though, it will tell us that Frostbite 2 runs on the NGP.

Huff

Banned
Well, for someone thats not a big fan of racing or sports games, EA's contribution to the NGP is probably going to be lacking.

KAL2006

Banned
Nirolak said:
This one is a bit different: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_23HBXNZi40&hd=1

If the main version does come over though, it will tell us that Frostbite 2 runs on the NGP.

Oh I didn't know there about that one, I just want a new Burnout game to be honest, unfortunately Criterion is working on Burnout Crash which is a XBLA/PSN game. I want a new Burnout game that plays like 3 and Legends. Nurnout really suited handheld gaming, it is a pick up and play arcade game that is really addicting.

yencid said:
wait i was just thinking wasn't batman AA made with UE? Isnt UE supported on the NGP?
HNNNGGG

So are dozens of other games like Bioshock and Mass Effect. I would rather have new games than handheld ports of old games I have already played, unless they are repayable games like Mortal Kombat, SSFIV and etc.

yencid

KAL2006 said:
Oh I didn't know there about that one, I just want a new Burnout game to be honest, unfortunately Criterion is working on Burnout Crash which is a XBLA/PSN game. I want a new Burnout game that plays like 3 and Legends. Nurnout really suited handheld gaming, it is a pick up and play arcade game that is really addicting.

So are dozens of other games like Bioshock and Mass Effect. I would rather have new games than handheld ports of old games I have already played, unless they are repayable games like Mortal Kombat, SSFIV and etc.
im not asking for the same game o_O

KAL2006

Banned
yencid said:
im not asking for the same game o_O

My bad, thought you meant you wanted a port of Batman Arkhan Asylum for NGP

As for Unreal Engine on NGP, we still don't know how good it will be and if it is possible to make Unreal Engine games that are as advances as console Unreal Engines, hopefully it is possible with some sacrifices such as lower geometry, lower texture quality and etc.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Callibretto said:
looks like they make new engine for it though. so it should take them longer to make. how long is Uncharted 1 in development?

They began working on Drake's Fortune after Jak 3, which equates to either late 2004 or early 2005. So, to answer your question, just under 3 years. Not bad at all considering that includes toolset development.

Edit: Elaborated a little.

JaseC said:
Yes, but those who weren't working on Jak X were working on Drake's Fortune.

Edit: Source.
Pre-production doesn't really mean much. It could be as little as engineers setting up groundwork for a new engine. Games can be in pre-production for years before anything happens, they can be in pre-production and never make it to production.

JaseC

Chuck Norris said:
Pre-production doesn't really mean much. It could be as little as engineers setting up groundwork for a new engine. Games can be in pre-production for years before anything happens, they can be in pre-production and never make it to production.

I'm not sure what your point is. Your objection to my earlier post implied that Naughty Dog couldn't have begun work on Drake's Fortune after Jak 3 went gold as they followed it up with Jak X, but it's right there in the interview that development on the game - not pre-production research, but actual development on the toolset - began "over a year and a half" prior to said interview, which would place it in/around the timeframe I mentioned in my post.

The second half of your post is true, but it doesn't apply to this situation.

Takao

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
So am I right in assuming that there's no credible leads on third party software coming soon?

We might have a few leaks just before E3, but Sony has been adamant on keeping third parties quiet on announcing games. They probably want a huge blowout ala Nintendo last year for E3.

JaseC said:
I'm not sure what your point is. Your objection to my earlier post implied that Naughty Dog couldn't have begun work on Drake's Fortune after Jak 3 went gold as they followed it up with Jak X, but it's right there in the interview that development on the game - not pre-production research, but actual development on the toolset - began "over a year and a half" prior to said interview, which would place it in/around the timeframe I mentioned in my post.

The second half of your post is true, but it doesn't apply to this situation.
My point is that game development should be based on the schedule of production, not from when pre-production began. Especially in this case where the majority of staff were working on another game.

I suppose it doesn't really matter in general, but in a comparison to Uncharted PSP's development timeframe it probably isn't accurate to say Uncharted 1 took 3 years vs. 2 years for UC PSP.

JaseC

Chuck Norris said:
My point is that game development should be based on the schedule of production, not from when pre-production began. Especially in this case where the majority of staff were working on another game.

I suppose it doesn't really matter in general, but in a comparison to Uncharted PSP's development timeframe it probably isn't accurate to say Uncharted 1 took 3 years vs. 2 years for UC PSP.

All we know is what we're told. Wells implied that development on Uncharted began in late 2004 with programmers working on the toolset, so that's what I worked from. Short of being there at the time, it's impossible to know when the majority of the studio began working on the game; in other words, when the game moved from pre-production to full production.

Again, given Wells himself strongly implied development began in late 2004 with programmers working on technology as part of the pre-production phase, and Drake's Fortune released in October 2007, it is accurate to say that Drake's Fortune was in development for about 3 years.

You bring up the issue of comparing it to Uncharted Portable, which is fair as we don't yet know when development began. (As far as I'm aware people are assuming it began right after Sony Bend shipped Resistance: Retribution?)

Takao said:
We might have a few leaks just before E3, but Sony has been adamant on keeping third parties quiet on announcing games. They probably want a huge blowout ala Nintendo last year for E3.
What's concerning to me is I really have not noticed very many NGP games mentioned in the few future fiscal year reports that have been released by major third parties in the past week.

But this is just probably me over thinking. I guess it's best to wait until E3.

herod

What quality are people seeing in the NGP that means that it will be any different to the PSP for Western consumer demand that will equate to third party support?

Spiegel

herod said:
What quality are people seeing in the NGP that means that it will be any different to the PSP for Western consumer demand that will equate to third party support?

Dual analog (First Person Shooters) and UE3 compatibility

Top Bottom