• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NGP 1st party launch lineup revealed and launching this year before Japan

Ashour

I love what I'm reading about Uncharted. I think Sony want to show everything that can be done on NGP with this game including how to treat an established franchises on it.

I trust Bend and I trust ND even more. so I'm looking forward to this game very much.

Duffyside

Banned
What does everyone think the chances are of the NGP having a trophy system? Do you guys think if there is one it will be a unified system with the PS3?

Man... I hope so. Sony can't screw up again and not launch a system with some sort of achievement fun, can they?

KAL2006

Banned
duffyside said:
What does everyone think the chances are of the NGP having a trophy system? Do you guys think if there is one it will be a unified system with the PS3?

Man... I hope so. Sony can't screw up again and not launch a system with some sort of achievement fun, can they?

Trophies are confirmed, no idea if it is unified with PS3 trophies though, but I bet it is. Personally I don't give 2 shits about trophies, but I know some people love them (which I still cannot understand)

Duffyside

Banned
KAL2006 said:
Trophies are confirmed, no idea if it is unified with PS3 trophies though, but I bet it is. Personally I don't give 2 shits about trophies, but I know some people love them (which I still cannot understand)
I'm sort of in the middle. I love them for games that I adore and getting a platinum isn't an impossible or incredibly time-consuming feat. I love feeling I've squeezed every last bit out of an Uncharted or Vanquish.

I think they're important though, in this day and age, and I think being the only real mobile platform with some sort of achievement system will benefit then NGP and Sony greatly, Sony particularly if it's unified with the PS3.

Anyway, glad to hear it's confirmed. I'm now off to try and find some such confirmation so I can sleep at night.

SSJ1Goku

Banned
Trophy icon in the pic:
sonyNGP.jpg

I'm going to be bitterly disappointed if the trophy system isn't unified with the PS3 trophy list. Surely it has to be if I use the same PSN ID.

watershed

Banned
Does anyone here think the NGP will be able to eclipse the 3ds's life to date sales within 6-8 months?

If Sony advertises this thing right (I'm hopeful), and puts a good price on it ($200 is a dream but $250 is still possible right?), the rumored launch line up looks good. I could see the NGP doing very well if it comes to America first and in times for the holiday season. If the 3ds sales continue to be lacking after the holidays (it will sell well during the holidays because Nintendo products always do), I could see the NGP actually being the market leader soonish after launching world wide.

ToyBroker

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
I'm going to be bitterly disappointed if the trophy system isn't unified with the PS3 trophy list. Surely it has to be if I use the same PSN ID.

It'll DEFINITELY be using the same PSN ID as your PS3/PS4 stuff.

KAL2006

Banned
artwalknoon said:
Does anyone here think the NGP will be able to eclipse the 3ds's life to date sales within 6-8 months?

If Sony advertises this thing right (I'm hopeful), and puts a good price on it ($200 is a dream but $250 is still possible right?), the rumored launch line up looks good. I could see the NGP doing very well if it comes to America first and in times for the holiday season. If the 3ds sales continue to be lacking after the holidays (it will sell well during the holidays because Nintendo products always do), I could see the NGP actually being the market leader soonish after launching world wide.

No chance, I think NGP will be more successful than PSP in the west but no way will it beat a Nintendo handheld, however there is nothing wrong with 2nd place, I think it will be how PS3/360 is to Wii, Wii destroyed PS3/360 in overall sales, but PS3/360 are still not doing too bad like PSP did in the west. So basically NGP may take some of the marketshare away from Nintendo but it will definitely not beat them in sales.

Mario3DS and Mario Kart and etc this holiday will destroy NGP sales.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So, will there be a NGP blowout at E3? There has to be one if it's going to launch by the end of the year.

I just want to see if there's a Ridge Racer game in the works.

twinturbo2 said:
So, will there be a NGP blowout at E3? There has to be one if it's going to launch by the end of the year.

No, Sony will announce that they're quitting the handheld business instead. What do you think? :p

watershed

Banned
KAL2006 said:
No chance, I think NGP will be more successful than PSP in the west but no way will it beat a Nintendo handheld, however there is nothing wrong with 2nd place, I think it will be how PS3/360 is to Wii, Wii destroyed PS3/360 in overall sales, but PS3/360 are still not doing too bad like PSP did in the west. So basically NGP may take some of the marketshare away from Nintendo but it will definitely not beat them in sales.

The 3ds is not doing very well, and if Sony recognizes this and positions their handheld properly I could see it doing very well during the holidays, but not better than the 3ds. But after the holidays I feel like the NGP could continue to sell well off of momentum and hopefully a stream of quality games. Not to mention I think major 3rd party support will swing the NGP's way, at least with western devs. I don't really care one way or the other, I already have a 3ds but given how badly Nintendo has handled its launch I would love to see Sony do the NGP launch right.

graywolf323

Gold Member
KAL2006 said:

I don't think the general public is as enamored with 3D as you seem to think they are

graywolf323 said:
I don't think the general public is as enamored with 3D as you seem to think they are

This is my impression too. The casuals I have spoken with think the 3DS is another model of the DS with a flashy screen. Seeing as most of the ads don't show quality gameplay footage, those views will continue to exist. The 3D isn't making people rush out and buy them.

KAL2006

Banned
graywolf323 said:

No where did I mention anything about 3D, the general public may not care about 3D, but they care about the next Mario, Mario Kart, Layton and etc.

artwalknoon said:
Not to mention I think major 3rd party support will swing the NGP's way, at least with western devs.

NGP is a handheld, and it's still significantly less powerful than HD consoles. I don't doubt that it will have better announced Western support after E3 than 3DS, at least on paper, but those two factors will ensure that it never gets the kind of support some are hoping for, with respect to both quality and exclusivity.

watershed

Banned
Father_Brain said:
NGP is a handheld, and it's still significantly less powerful than HD consoles. I don't doubt that it will have better announced Western support after E3 than 3DS, at least on paper, but those two factors will ensure that it never gets the kind of support some are hoping for, with respect to both quality and exclusivity.

hmm maybe. But how about this? Sony has stressed that the NGP can receive ports of hd console games, I'm not sure how true this will be but if its true it will definitely help the NGP in Japan where people really are using portables more and handhelds less. The PSP already does better than the ds and 3ds there. I can see the NGP being the top handheld in Japan for its lifetime.

But back to my first point, if the NGP can receive downports of hd games surely that will help its cause in the west as well both with consumers who want fully featured, console gaming on the go, and with devs who might be more inclined to make games for the NGP if they can downport and use the same engines/assets.

KAL2006

Banned
Father_Brain said:

I expect a lot of western support, simply because of it's architecture, NGP is similar to PC/360/PS3/iOS/Android, all those platforms get tons of support by devs, the ease of development should allow NGP to get tons of games, hell it has already got tons of engines and middleware support.

watershed

Banned
lawblob said:
I really hope that's not the OS.

I agree, the hardware looks slick but that OS is pretty bad. They should just tweak the Playstation 3's menu bar thing to make it more visually oriented like bigger icons. Or they should go with something simple like the iphone's menu layout.

Suzzopher

I said this on the previous page as to why I think the NGP could be very successful:
I think the idea of having a handheld game console always connected, via 3G or WiFi is what will make this stand out. Having to be near WiFi for PSP or 3DS kills that connectivity slightly, but if you are always online the machine has more relevance to your daily life. While PSN was down, I found myself using my 360 way more due to being connected.

Being on the train or bus and uploading your times from WipEout or competing against friends ghost times is something that appeals greatly. I don't think online play could work over 3G, but that connected experience is going to be a big thing for me as a gamer.

If Sony are smart(lol) they could market this thing like a Walkman. Movies, music, comics, apps, small bite size games, big blockbuster HD experiences, online gaming, social networking. Sony need to drive home that this product needs to be on you all the time.

artwalknoon said:
hmm maybe. But how about this? Sony has stressed that the NGP can receive ports of hd console games, I'm not sure how true this will be but if its true it will definitely help the NGP in Japan where people really are using portables more and handhelds less. The PSP already does better than the ds and 3ds there. I can see the NGP being the top handheld in Japan for its lifetime.

But back to my first point, if the NGP can receive downports of hd games surely that will help its cause in the west as well both with consumers who want fully featured, console gaming on the go, and with devs who might be more inclined to make games for the NGP if they can downport and use the same engines/assets.

I'll hold off making any predictions about how Japan will turn out, since that really depends on what third-party support is announced.

As for the latter: I'm not convinced that there's a significant audience for straight ports of HD console titles on handhelds, but that's a difference of opinion that either will or won't be borne out by the eventual sales figures.

With respect to Western development in general, is it overall a good thing for NGP development that it supports console-level middleware such as UE3? No question. But shared middleware is no substitute for devoting actual resources to NGP development, and more than one Western developer has indicated that most publishers are not inclined to do so.

KAL2006

Banned
As for power I believe NGP can handle quite a lot of games, obviously not something technically impressive like Red Dead Redemption, but something like SSFIV and Dead Space is capable on NGP. With enough downgrades the NGP can handle those games, downgrades includes things like lower geometry, lower texture resolutions, less polygons such as less trees and etc. Sometimes developers can get away with worse graphics on handhelds due to smaller screen, when Uncharted got announced at NGP conference, people said the graphics looked worse when showed on the big screen, but when people got to play it on NGP itself it looked much better due to the smaller screen hiding the less detail. Hell Rockstar managed to be able to port over Liberty City from GTA3 on PSP with a few downgrades even though PSP is much weaker than PS2. Hell just look at SSFIV3DS, that worked on 3DS even though 3DS is much weaker than the HD consoles.

Suzzopher said:
I said this on the previous page as to why I think the NGP could be very successful:

Being on the train or bus and uploading your times from WipEout or competing against friends ghost times is something that appeals greatly. I don't think online play could work over 3G, but that connected experience is going to be a big thing for me as a gamer.

If Sony are smart(lol) they could market this thing like a Walkman. Movies, music, comics, apps, small bite size games, big blockbuster HD experiences, online gaming, social networking. Sony need to drive home that this product needs to be on you all the time.

People's phones do all of that already, and make phone calls. They're not going to carry around a giant video game machine everywhere no matter how much Sony tries.

The ipad is infinitely more popular than NGP will ever be and people don't carry that every time they go out.

watershed

Banned
guina said:

I hope your joking. The way the garish color photos in the background swap in everytime you swipe to a new page is painful. Not only that but I don't like the way the bubbles are layed out, lots of unused space, or the way they jiggle. I think Sony should go with a simple presentation. Apple does it right, even the 3ds is pretty good. A complicated design doesn't make sense, it doesn't signal anything about the handheld except that it's menu is an eyesore.

Suzzopher

H_Prestige said:
People's phones do all of that already, and make phone calls. They're not going to carry around a giant video game machine everywhere no matter how much Sony tries.

The ipad is infinitely more popular than NGP will ever be and people don't carry that every time they go out.

Everyone I know with an iPad take them everywhere. I take mine with me all the time. I like be able to hop online whilst on the train or even waiting at the platform. But the NGP is going to be more than that. It is going to have everything phones have(bar calls) and then everything game consoles have. Like I said, if Sony market this right, it could be huge. I don't think it'll be as big as iPad, but it could take a huge market share from Nintendo.

herod said:
What quality are people seeing in the NGP that means that it will be any different to the PSP for Western consumer demand that will equate to third party support?

it's 6 years after the psp and dual analog sticks will mean true console quality games. that should have some impact.

i don't care, just give me downloadable PS2 games for this thing, please!

KAL2006

Banned
artwalknoon said:
I hope your joking. The way the garish color photos in the background swap in everytime you swipe to a new page is painful. Not only that but I don't like the way the bubbles are layed out, lots of unused space, or the way they jiggle. I think Sony should go with a simple presentation. Apple does it right, even the 3ds is pretty good. A complicated design doesn't make sense, it doesn't signal anything about the handheld except that it's menu is an eyesore.

I am guessing that is just a wall paper that can be changed to what ever you want, so you can have the same wallpaper for every page if it bothers you. I am also guessing you can move around the bubbles, so the menu is customizable, I am personally going to have just one line of bubbles per page with a wallpaper of hot chicks for each page, so the menu's would end up looking slick with a big visible background a line of icons (bubbles)

watershed

Banned
Father_Brain said:
I'll hold off making any predictions about how Japan will turn out, since that really depends on what third-party support is announced.

As for the latter: I'm not convinced that there's a significant audience for straight ports of HD console titles on handhelds, but that's a difference of opinion that either will or won't be borne out by the eventual sales figures.

With respect to Western development in general, is it overall a good thing for NGP development that it supports console-level middleware such as UE3? No question. But shared middleware is no substitute for devoting actual resources to NGP development, and more than one Western developer has indicated that most publishers are not inclined to do so.

That's a good point about dev budgets for the NGP and the high volume of sales necessary to recoup and profit. That could really hurt the NGP but surely Sony has thought that through somehow? As for the ports, I would hope the NGP won't get ports as much as it gets spin-offs and original content based on existing engines and middleware. Another thing that could hurt the NGP is the price of games, if its $50 that's too much.

guina

artwalknoon said:
It doesnt look as bad as the screenshots thats for sure. The backgrounds are probably configurable. The unused space is weird i agree.

The UI doesn't look great right now, was it me or did the spokesmen sound a bit sheepish about it too? Perhaps it will make more sense next time we see it.

Gravijah said:
So, any news on us actually getting the white NGP? :(

At least wait for them to give it a proper name first. :/
Will be interesting to see how much dev support this thing has, seeing as they apparently had been preparing a 3rd party reel ready for the original reveal.

Gravijah

Graphics Horse said:
At least wait for them to give it a proper name first. :/
Will be interesting to see how much dev support this thing has, seeing as they apparently had been preparing a 3rd party reel ready for the original reveal.

NGP is the name. Don't take it away from me~

Takao said:
Sony has never launched with two colours. They'll do it a year or so later.

Sigh, black it is then. Maybe Sony will make a special PSX edition that is grey.

scosher

Already planning on getting the NGP day one, but question:

Can the NGP also function as an e-reader? Would save me extra money from getting a Kindle/Nook (not to mention more bag/pocket space).

Takao

Banned
scosher said:

Can the NGP also function as an e-reader? Would save me extra money from getting a Kindle/Nook (not to mention more bag/pocket space).

It really should, but Sony has not announced anything. They have their own eBook marketplace (that is not compatible with PlayStation devices as of yet) so I don't see why not. They do have a Comic Store that'll be compatible with NGP.

guina

lawblob said:
In 2011 I don't know if it would be possible to make a worse UI than this. It's the equivalent of a cluttered Windows desktop with a million random folders scattered about.
Well looks like the UI is not popular, so i will just hide in the corner lol.

Barrett2

guina said:
Well looks like the UI is not popular, so i will just hide in the corner lol.

Haha. He likes the UI, get him!!

Fortunately for me, a crappy UI won't make portable Wipeout and Uncharted any less awesome. ;)

guina

lawblob said:
Haha. He likes the UI, get him!!

Fortunately for me, a crappy UI won't make portable Wipeout and Uncharted any less awesome. ;)
I think it has the potential to be functional, like boot up and anything is 1 touch away. Could be better aesthetical speaking but i still think it is not too bad.

Well, we aren't going to have that many icons on the UI as there is basically all of the announced Sony games on there at present. We'll likely only get the games stored on the card show on the UI. Could be narrowed down to two menus.

DiscoJer

guina said:
I think it has the potential to be functional, like boot up and anything is 1 touch away. Could be better aesthetical speaking but i still think it is not too bad.

Yeah, I think that's what people are missing. It's a touch screen, so it basically has to be something like that.

And if they arrange it fancier, like iPhone, they run the risk of a lawsuit (Apple is suing someone for their phone looking too much like an iPhone).

scosher said:

Considering this is Sony, whose divisions hate to work together, I would say probably not. Just like you can't read e-books on the PSP officially, nor can you read Sony PSP comics on your Sony e-reader...

Supposedly though the PS Suite thing will accept applications, not just games, so it's possible someone will make a reader app (maybe even Sony?).

watershed

Banned
DiscoJer said:
Yeah, I think that's what people are missing. It's a touch screen, so it basically has to be something like that.

And if they arrange it fancier, like iPhone, they run the risk of a lawsuit (Apple is suing someone for their phone looking too much like an iPhone).

Nobody is asking for fancier I think everyone is asking for simpler. Like the iphone's or 3ds' its about convenience. Everyone knows its a touch screen so like the iphone or 3ds the icons should be neatly layed out and the OS should emphasize accessibility and simplicity like any good menu. For the NGP I think the jiggle effect is useless, I think the icons being bubbles is useless and the layout of them is odd. You end up having to swipe through multiple pages because the icons are positioned so poorly. But as others have said they bubbles might be customizable in terms of layout but hopefully in size and shape as well.

Top Bottom