• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NGP 1st party launch lineup revealed and launching this year before Japan

guina said:
I think it has the potential to be functional, like boot up and anything is 1 touch away. Could be better aesthetical speaking but i still think it is not too bad.

It's definitely better to have a touch based interface, but only 9 icons per screen looks like a bit of a waste with what we've seen.

KAL2006

Banned
I don't see a problem with NGP UI, just as long as it is customizable, if you can move around the icons where ever you want, along with changing the wallpaper for each page, then it is pretty cool

Here is what I mean
XVrIB.jpg

PVTFX.jpg

Graphics Horse said:
It's definitely better to have a touch based interface, but only 9 icons per screen looks like a bit of a waste with what we've seen.

Yeah, especially given the amount of screen 'real-estate' the NGP has, I think having square tiles would look nicer, and having more of them on screen would be better.

Vinci

Danish
If they're fully customizable - which I'm sure wouldn't be exactly difficult for Sony to do either at launch or through a FW update later - then my issue with the UI disappears. Currently, however, it looks (aesthetically and functionally) amateurish.

Omikaru

Why don't they just use the XMB, but let it transform into a neat grid-type interface if the user would prefer touch controls?

One of the things I like about PS3/PSP's interface is that it's tidy and makes you feel like you're using a high end device. This interface on NGP is more like the Xbox 360's generally unpleasant dashboard as far as headache-inducing qualities go, and I hope it changes.

guina

Graphics Horse said:
There is definitely alot of wasted space there, they should scratch the uneven grid and make the bubbles NGP shaped IMO.

KAL2006

Banned
Vinci said:
If they're fully customizable - which I'm sure wouldn't be exactly difficult for Sony to do either at launch or through a FW update later - then my issue with the UI disappears. Currently, however, it looks (aesthetically and functionally) amateurish.

watching this footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLbXqCl1X-Y

it seems that it may be customizable, in the video it shows icons placed in different places for different pages, and it shows different wallpapers.

is it too much to ask for a minimalist UI?

can I just have an option for "white text on black screen menus with a cursor"

because none of this shit improves on that. XMB is almost that, but it has a little bullshit.

guina said:
There is definitely alot of wasted space there, they should scratch the uneven grid and make the bubbles NGP shaped IMO.
It's not uneven it's just rotated 45 degrees and, uh, kind of made to fit. I wouldn't mind a hex tile interface.

Omikaru said:
Why don't they just use the XMB, but let it transform into a neat grid-type interface if the user would prefer touch controls?

One of the things I like about PS3/PSP's interface is that it's tidy and makes you feel like you're using a high end device. This interface on NGP is more like the Xbox 360's generally unpleasant dashboard as far as headache-inducing qualities go, and I hope it changes.

I think people are ruling out options for the way the layout is. The award winning XMB for a touch screen would seem counter intuitive to me. You would be scrolling to the left and right and then down with the option to just touch what you want in one of these vertical scroll menus, in my opinion, a touch enabled XMB just seems like extra and unnecessary scrolling would be a part of it.. The UI in the state that it is in now is interesting, but I hope they do provide extra options and not forced touchscreen control and layout. Hopefully they arent like Apple forcing one layout of small buttons that are too cluttered together leading to accidentally opening the wrong apps.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Why leave XMB for...THIS

because XMB is a piece of shit for navigation and as ugly as this is it's an improvement in useabily?

The award winning XMB

Jesus - what awards did it win? It's horrific.

edit : The interface won the Technology & Engineering Emmy Award for "Outstanding Innovation and Achievement in Advanced Media Technology for the Best Use of Personal Media Display and Presentation Technology" in 2006.[4]

... i'm not even sure what that award means!!!

Apath

DCharlie said:
because XMB is a piece of shit for navigation and as ugly as this is it's an improvement in useabily?

So much wrong in such a small post.

Takao

Banned
My only problem with XMB is that it's not a menu system that works well with feature expansion. It soon becomes a chore when there's 8 different rows with 3 different options within them.

I think it's the best menu system aside from the Wii's, but that's just me.

Acrylic7

Wouldn't it be better if they used the actual buttons on the ds3?
Was just looking at my dualshock, and the buttons are the perfect size for a handheld. The actual d-pad from the ds3 would be nice as well.

Novid said:
The OS is so fucking UGLY. UGLY. Why leave XMB for...THIS?
Do people here really not know the difference between an OS(operating system), and a UI( user interface) ?

How the fuck can an OS be ugly?

Apath

googleplex said:
Do people here really not know the difference between an OS(operating system), and a UI( user interface) ?

How the fuck can an OS be ugly?
The UI of the OS -- aka the OS's "look". I doubt you couldn't infer the meaning of his post.

DCharlie

So much wrong in such a small post.

absolutely not - it's a sexy looking interface and the music visualiser is great, it does a great job of streaming but the actuall navigation of menus and content is absolute garbage and that, ultimately, is what you need it for.

On the PS3 and PSP that's all fine - but with a touch interface? give me something more immediate. All they have to do is make the newly shown interface look sexier and it'll be infinitely better than XMB.

At least on the PS3 and PSP it's not dogsht slow like on the PSX.

Kenak said:
The UI of the OS -- aka the OS's "look". I doubt you couldn't infer the meaning of his post.
No. Just no..

By this logic the PSP and the PS3 have the same OS because they're both running the XMB. The only way you'll ever see the "look" of the OS is if you developer running code.

Not trying to bust anyone ball here, but I always figured Gaf members would be more tech savy

Apath

DCharlie said:
absolutely not - it's a sexy looking interface and the music visualiser is great, it does a great job of streaming but the actuall navigation of menus and content is absolute garbage and that, ultimately, is what you need it for.
How is the navigation shitty? You go left or right, select a category, and then move up or down to select a specific entry, moving right and left through folders. It's probably the most simple and easy a non-touch analogue-controller interface is going to get.

On the PS3 and PSP that's all fine - but with a touch interface? give me something more immediate. All they have to do is make the newly shown interface look sexier and it'll be infinitely better than XMB.
No shit? No one is saying the XMB works as a touch screen interface. Only that the NGP's interface looks like dog shit compared to the XMB.

googleplex said:
No. Just no..

By this logic the PSP and the PS3 have the same OS because they're both running the XMB. The only way you'll ever see the "look" of the OS is if you developer running code.

Not trying to bust anyone ball here, but I always figured Gaf members would be more tech savy
I'd say they both have the same UI I guess, but someone saying they have the same OS wouldn't make me confused -- I'd understand what they were saying. *shrug*

artwalknoon said:
That's a good point about dev budgets for the NGP and the high volume of sales necessary to recoup and profit. That could really hurt the NGP but surely Sony has thought that through somehow?

Aiming for a higher graphical standard has always led to an increase in the average game budget; that's happened with every generational transition. There are certainly ways of ameliorating those increases (reusing assets from HD console titles, or not aiming for a significantly higher standard at all, which will likely be the case for many games from the nichier Japanese publishers), but there's no magic bullet that will render them a complete non-issue.

The UI would look way better just with a change in colour scheme. It has the same bland deep blue of the Playstation Store, very bad colour aesthetics. Maybe their UI designers are colour blind. It also makes little sense to have a dark colour UI when the best battery saving option with an OLED screen is to have light colours

The actually concept is really good though. IF they are doing "bubbles" and have a touch screen I would personally play around with it. Put the bubble in a shallow 3D environment, have them float around and you can zoom in with a swipe or touch it to bring it closer

Duffyside

Banned
yencid said:
haters gone hate. I love the UI
I don't love it, but it's fine. I just need it to move quickly. That's what I don't like about the XMB, is that the icons take too long to load (they're just a damn picture), syncing takes forever, and you have to scroll through a huge list if you have a lot of media. If these little bubbles move quickly, I'm fine.

yencid

duffyside said:
I don't love it, but it's fine. I just need it to move quickly. That's what I don't like about the XMB, is that the icons take too long to load (they're just a damn picture), syncing takes forever, and you have to scroll through a huge list if you have a lot of media. If these little bubbles move quickly, I'm fine.

it seemed to move pretty fast.
http://youtu.be/lJgBeFhmn9I

DCharlie

How is the navigation shitty? You go left or right, select a category, and then move up or down to select a specific entry, moving right and left through folders. It's probably the most simple and easy a non-touch analogue-controller interface is going to get.

navigating verticle lists is crap once you get over a certain amount of content. The point is that , whilst i can live with it as is, we shouldn't be mired with this when we DO have touch.

No shit? No one is saying the XMB works as a touch screen interface. Only that the NGP's interface looks like dog shit compared to the XMB

i don't think it looks astetically better, it's FUNCTIONALLY better - which is why i do not want XMB on the damn thing. I want to spend as little time as possible in the navigator, i do not want to be swiping or scrolling through lists again when there's a much better way of doing things.

Esperado

The XMB is a very good and functional interface for what it was designed for. That is, having all the different types of functionality of the PSP sectioned off into different columns. The problem is when you start doing things that it wasn't necessarily designed for like adding a bunch of downloaded games. Here you end up with a long list of games to sort through which is kind of a pain in the ass, but it works for the PSP and PS3 due to the lack of touch control, and on the PS3 you have the ability to categorize.

DCharlie said:

edit : The interface won the Technology & Engineering Emmy Award for "Outstanding Innovation and Achievement in Advanced Media Technology for the Best Use of Personal Media Display and Presentation Technology" in 2006.[4]

It means outstanding achievement in the field of excellence.

DCharlie said:
navigating verticle lists is crap once you get over a certain amount of content.

That has nothing to do with the XMB itself and everything to do with Sony not letting users create their own subfolders.

DiscoJer

Gameboy said:
XMB with touch.

homerdrooling.gif

Because the XMB is a complete mess, that's why. And it's meant for a d-pad.

Which is easier, having a bunch of icons that open up sub-menus, or having to scroll through dozens of selections at every level?

Like for instance, from exiting a game, if you want to check your battery (how many hours), you need to press the d-pad left 5 times, then down 4 times, then X, then down 8 times, then X again.

While on the one shown, you would probably just tap four times in the right icons.

DCharlie said:

Yes, so horrific that it's still being copied today.

Chris_C

scoobs said:
The XMB is a fantastic design, it just needs to respond faster.

XMB response times are incredibly low. What you're referring to is loading of individual icons. This is most likely a memory issue.

Deadly Joker said:
So what are the chances of it coming out in America this fall?

Chances, its just two weeks to E3, kind of silly to speculate before E3. With games continuously being revealed, at least by Western Publishers, we could assume its on track for this year.

DCharlie

That has nothing to do with the XMB itself and everything to do with Sony not letting users create their own subfolders.

that still manifests itself as an issue with XMB usage though, doesn't it?

duffyside said:

What UI on a console moves quicker? Forget that question, how doesnt the XMB move quick enough?

I will give you that syncing takes too long but that has nothing to do with the UI. I will argue though that the XMB is by far the easiest UI to navigate.

Fake edit: I see what you are saying, you have a ton of media and it doesnt intelligently organize it. Fair argument. I still think getting around in the XMB is the best out there. How it handles the information once you get there is the problem.

CamHostage

Chris_C said:
XMB response times are incredibly low. What you're referring to is loading of individual icons. This is most likely a memory issue.

I'm not entirely sure of this, but I believe XMB is both an interface and an OS? (I'm not sure that PSP and PS3 share the same version of it, that might just be a similar GUI, but I thought that the "PSX" version of PS2 and the XMB in other Sony properties was pretty similar? PSP/PS3 theme making is a virtually identical process but that might not be fully indicative.) So they could retain the XMB means of navigating and still rip out the outdated architecture that runs it.

The NGP "bubble browser" is cute but it'll quickly prove unwieldy once you start browsing media or large collections of games. Maybe they'll have a more robust skin system that lets you change not only the backdrops and icons but maybe even placement and complexity? I'm not sure how they'll set up the deeper access points of the interface but I have dozens of games on my PSP and hundreds of save files and even XMB can barely serve those up quick enough.

Top Bottom