• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Nintendo to announce Switch VR later this year.

Nintendo needs all the help it can right now to catch up with its rivals in the gaming console industry. Already suggested are the coming of a Nintendo Switch Pro and a Nintendo Switch Lite. How about a Nintendo Switch VR?

According to Emily Rogers of Nintendo World Report, unnamed sources claim that Nintendo is set to make a VR-related announcement this year. If true, it goes in line with a previously spotted patent suggesting that the Nintendo Switch will eventually get a VR headset. This was confirmed earlier this month by Japanese analyst Serkan Toto.
But if the company is to succeed in integrating VR into the Nintendo Switch, they will need to resolve the problem of users being able to play VR games for longer periods of time. But it looks like they have addressed that concern with several first-party games reportedly getting an update with VR support as well in 2019, Gaming Bolt reported. If true, one of the first games allegedly supporting it would be the Nintendo Labo.

From there, the next question in mind is how Nintendo intends to address the screen resolution issue. The Nintendo Switch resolution is pegged at 720p, dramatically low. There will be apparent tweaks needed, meaning seeing a Nintendo Switch VR come out in the open will likely internal modifications as well. It is possible that there are missing details although this claim remains a rumor for now.

I'm not sure I buy this rumor, the Switch power aside, why would Nintendo have Labo VR support? Not only would that actually destroy and replace the whole original concept of Labo, but you'd still have to buy Labo anyway to get access to the games, which are few. Not only that, but going back, you need not only decent power for VR to be worth two cents, but you'd likely, if they pull it off, only be able to use VR docked, if that.

Not to mention it would be an additional expense, and Nintendos third-party support to take advantage of a VR device is kind of not where it needs to be right now.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
While not likely, it would be amazing if Nintendo did something with VR. I want mario kart VR.

Chittagong

Gold Member
VR will only take off when it’s wireless and has inside out cameras. While Switch concept and controllers would be perfectly suited for VR, 720P... nope.gif

I would love to see Nintendo’s take on VR games, surely it would be fresh and amazing like Astro Bot VR

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Damn Hellpoint Dev even taking a spin on Nintendo now.

VR really requires a base level of hardware the Switch can't really support as is. So an upgrade would be needed. Not to Tegra X2, but rather Tegra Xavier.

And since Nintendo is not about powers, i would call this rumor bunk.

VR will only take off when it’s wireless and has inside out cameras. While Switch concept and controllers would be perfectly suited for VR, 720P... nope.gif

I would love to see Nintendo’s take on VR games, surely it would be fresh and amazing like Astro Bot VR
Just makes me wish Nintendo would skip the idea of Switch VR and go with an Oculus Quest-style headset with Nintendo IPs.

Last edited:
You're more likely to see a mod for that in Cemu on PC, than for Nintendo to officially release such a thing. There's already a simple first person mod for Cemu, so it is theoretically possible.
I'd much prefer to experience it in 3rd person VR anyway. Zelda in 1st person would be great only when it's designed for it.

Yes! I’ve always wanted to strap a Switch to my face. /s

TBH, it’s not a terrible idea. Lucky’s Tale is an ideal I model to rip off for the next Mario game and the joycons would be suitable for controlling as-is. But I am highly doubtful they will be able to do it without requiring the purchase of external sensors.

Nintendo also said gamers don't want online back in the early 2000s. And actually, Nintendo have said several things over the years, most of which says they are interested in VR but want to make it polished before they get into it.

True. I don't expect them to stick to their stance all the time but it felt like last year when they said it. XD

Yes! I’ve always wanted to strap a Switch to my face. /s

TBH, it’s not a terrible idea. Lucky’s Tale is an ideal I model to rip off for the next Mario game and the joycons would be suitable for controlling as-is. But I am highly doubtful they will be able to do it without requiring the purchase of external sensors.
Astro Bot should be the go-to model for the next Mario game rather than Lucky's Tale.

JoyCons aren't quite suitable for VR though, they are 3DoF.

Astro Bot should be the go-to model for the next Mario game rather than Lucky's Tale.

JoyCons aren't quite suitable for VR though, they are 3DoF.
I’ve yet to play Astro Bot (damn you exclusivity) so I can’t comment on whether it’s a better fit given the existing technology.

Lucky’s Tale strikes me as a more immediate template, however, because you don’t do much interaction with the motion controls and I imagine joycons and the pro controller could both be used for controlling the character. The only element that then has to engineered is head-tracking, which seems like a more solvable problem at a manageable price point.

I’ve yet to play Astro Bot (damn you exclusivity) so I can’t comment on whether it’s a better fit given the existing technology.

Lucky’s Tale strikes me as a more immediate template, however, because you don’t do much interaction with the motion controls and I imagine joycons and the pro controller could both be used for controlling the character. The only element that then has to engineered is head-tracking, which seems like a more solvable problem at a manageable price point.
Nintendo like to innovate where they can. I don't think they will go bare-minimum with their big IPs. It seems they'd likely try to redefine things. Astro Bot technically beat them to the punch this time with the platforming genre, but then again, they can redefine 3D platformers even after Astro Bot.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I've been saying for some time now that the switch could benefit greatly from a VR headset. The Oculus Go is a pretty cool device, a friend has one and the Oculus Quest will be an even better AIO VR headset with positional tracking built in.

I don't know if Miyamoto has played Astro Bot or not, but if he has, he had to have fallen in love with it and would want to make a VR Mario game.

Last edited:
It won't happen without massive hardware upgrades, because of the FPS needed, but I would love to play some Mario Kart in VR.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The Switch is well-suited for inexpensive VR: slip the Switch tablet into the wearable VR headset to serve as the screen and control it with the wireless joycons. Cheap, simple VR.

n0razi

I think VR already looks like complete shit on my Pixel 3 + Daydream which is 1080p.... I can't imagine it on a 700p screen or whatever the Switch is

I've been saying for some time now that the switch could benefit greatly from a VR headset. The Oculus Go is a pretty cool device, a friend has one and the Oculus Quest will be an even better AIO VR headset with positional tracking built in.

I don't know if Miyamoto has played Astro Bot or not, but if he has, he had to have fallen in love with it and would want to make a VR Mario game.

Oculus Go has 3x the resolution and PSVR (Astrobot) has 2x the resolution and runs at 90Hz.... The Switch simply doesnt have the display hardware for an enjoyable VR experience

Last edited:

McRazzle

This is just more Emily Rogers bullshit. She's taking things that have already been rumored and adding an educated guess and passing it off as insider information.

It's already known there's likely a Switch Pro coming, and VR mode was discovered in the SDK when the Switch was data mined,

Of course it would be too expensive to include a VR headset bundled with a Switch Pro.
So, Emily says to herself, "Hey, there's Google cardboard, Nintendo has cardboard!
Eureka!!!"

TLZ

Banned
Not her again.

Like seriously, who wants to put this heavy tablet on their head, attached to a more than likely cardboard Labo VR?

Last edited:

Meh3D

I'd be interested to see Nintendo's take on it. I like the idea of Nintendo adding more things to do with the Switch.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Don't you just love polarizing writing like that? That's proper news posting baby.

As a news poster myself i wouldn't even attempt trying to frame news like that if i were morally bankrupt. Good thing Joseph Patrick, the author of this article, shows to the world to have no problems with being morally bankrupt.

Also, Emily Rogers? Is that really a trustworthy source? I mean Switch VR...

TLZ

Banned
Don't you just love polarizing writing like that? That's proper news posting baby.

As a news poster myself i wouldn't even attempt trying to frame news like that if i were morally bankrupt. Good thing Joseph Patrick, the author of this article, shows to the world to have no problems with being morally bankrupt.

Also, Emily Rogers? Is that really a trustworthy source? I mean Switch VR...
She's a liar, a pretender, like many out there.

Fbh

These switch rumours are starting to sound like everyone is just throwing around guesses in the hopes of getting it right and getting some recognition.
We already have the rumour of a Switch Pro
Of a Switch Slim
And now a Switch VR

Add a "docked only" model and a game streaming service and we have covered most possibilities and ensured that at least someone gets it right

Anyway, Doubt it.
And with the current screen and hardware it would be pretty shitty VR anyway

Breath of the Wild in VR.

Just. Imagine.

It could be awesome but you'd need much more powerful hardware and a nicer screen for it to be amazing
The Switch runs BOTW at 720 and 30fps (with drops) in portable mode, with 90fps being considered the minimum needed for VR they'd have to make massive cuts to a game that's already not that visually impressive

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do something like the Galaxy VR headsets and just have one the tablet fits into. They're are plenty of generic ones that work for phones.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If they do VR I don't think it should be Switch based. I could see (and have said as much before) a VR system being their new non portable/non hybrid system, something else to replace the home consoles that Switch is partially taking on alongside the portables in a way that won't have people screaming betrayal over expecting all Nintendo games to be on the Switch, given that VR experiences will be fundamentally different and won't merely artificially block Switch out. Something like Oculus Quest (which itself is powered by a middling mobile chip, I love its concept but wish it had more power) but Nintendo branded and able to roughly output Switch quality graphics yet in 90 fps stereo 3D at whatever the native resolution of the screens is (with some supersampling for the more optimized games). For that it needs to be quite a bit more powerful and have a larger battery too, it could be easily possible in a couple more years maybe. It could also be streaming from a more powerful stationary box with Wii U's GamePad's local wireless streaming tech upgraded for higher resolutions and framerates (again, 90fps) so that the battery doesn't need to power the whole system and therefor lasts longer, plus have better graphics and performance easier than with mobile chips. I'd dig either personally, I love PCVR and would love to see Nintendo's take on such gameplay possibilities. Switch based VR will be heavily compromised (not just in graphics and image quality, the Switch controllers much like Move don't have good enough tracking either) so I wouldn't want to see that as a focus. An experiment like Labo that's not meant to have that much longevity or market focus could work I guess, somehow, and be their first test in the VR waters that they will only fully exploit later with a proper VR system. They could even call their eventual full VR system something like Wii 2 VR as it'd certainly be more of a true (and imo successful if done right) Wii successor than Wii U ever was, but that one buried the brand so hard they're not likely to do it.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’d like to see Nintendo go after VR aggressively like they basically did with motion!

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Like everyone else on here, I don’t believe it. PS4 Pro struggles at VR (although I do love it), Switch VR would be atrocious.

Zannegan

I could see a low-power headset a la Oculus go that you can buy separately that also plays switch games in VR. It could even use the joycons as its controllers if they had some kind of hand-tracking camera built into the headset to make up for their weak tracking capabilities.

I could even see an add-on headset with a screen and optics that connects to the headset via usb-c.

Slotting the current Switch into a box with a pair of infinity-focus lenses like Google Cardboard would be disastrous however.

Regardless, I won't believe any of this until be get a better source than ER. She certainly knows people who knows things, but she's willing to put her name to too many unverified rumors that never pan out (that Earthbound remake, for instance)

Last edited:
Top Bottom