• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Nintendo to announce Switch VR later this year.

scalman

If it would be new console with vr on board then bring it on. But that low res in vr is so visiable. Even full hd or even higher res vr screen you can see pixels. They need to come up with new screens for vr.

LMJ

On one hand, I dont expect the Switch to be technically up to snuff to perform good VR...

On the other hand 1st party Nintendo VR titles sound amazing :lollipop_flores:

PocoJoe

Banned
switch tech is too weak and insufficient for VR so not a chance.

They need more raw power, better screen, new controllers with "motion sensing in 3d space" aka way to see where users hands are compared to the field of view.

So if they release new system, then it is possible. WIth switch it would be like looking a puke in a bucket

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I can't imagine Nintendo creating a system powerful enough to do VR "AND" be a handheld at the sametime. Maybe it'll be a non-handheld hardware.

Why, though? I mean, if they were to wait for the technology to become inexpensive and easily replicable then sure, but we ain't there yet and the current state of VR development doesn't suit Nintendo on any level (not to mention, perhaps more importantly, that the inverse is also true)

I have a rift (mostly used for racing games as it's basically a cheat mode) so I'm reasonably familiar with VR and all that goes with it. mckmas8808 mckmas8808 you're probably right that a handheld system with enough power to do both is unlikely. That said, I do think something closer to an Oculus Go (I think that's the one) might work for them if they have some fun controllers to go with it - where I don't necessarily want that from Oculus, I do think from Nintendo it could work, as they have the gaming pedigree to use it to make something fantastic. As for the tech level - I didn't say I expected it any time soon but I do think at some point they'll enter that space, but they'll do it on their own terms, in their own uniquely Nintendo way. I expect Nintendo to enter a bit later than the rest, and when they do they'll come along with something quirky and clever. I'm glad there's room in the market for what Nintendo do.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Still no head strap? :messenger_neutral:

My impression is that accurate headtracking requires the use of the joycon sensors in addition to the screen unit, and that this is why the Labo VR headset (and the one patented above) will always require it to be played with them on the sides. Now, perhaps they could permit a headstrap mode if you had 2 additional joycons to hold in your hand while playing, but that's confusing for customers and unlikely to be supported. Also... the Switch Lite has them attached, and they likely want to target that console equally if they do make a non-Labo headset.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
I'm just sitting here waiting for the Switch Pro announcement.

Waiting for iconmaster iconmaster to show up! :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_horns:

If you look carefully, you'll see a couple of Switch pros.

r498169_1296x729_16-9.jpg

This makes me think of the incredible for its time (2005/2006) hoax video one guy made.

I like the idea of VR gaming and hope Nintendo will compete with the PSVR. No doubt Sony will bring out PSVR 2 in the near future.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Heavy? VR headsets are typically twice as heavy, LOL
I don't feel my psvr as heavy as the Switch. But even if they were both the same weight, the labo vr is very inconvenient. I played it a couple times when I first got it and it's been shelved since.

Edit: I just weighed both. Switch Labo VR is 530g and PSVR is 610g. That's not twice as heavy. Almost similar.

Last edited:

jts

...hate me...
I don't feel my psvr as heavy as the Switch. But even if they were both the same weight, the labo vr is very inconvenient. I played it a couple times when I first got it and it's been shelved since.

Edit: I just weighed both. Switch Labo VR is 530g and PSVR is 610g. That's not twice as heavy. Almost similar.
The tablet portion is 300g. I assume if Nintendo were to target VR with the Switch they would sell a dedicated plastic headset to put the tablet in, not make people build labo cardboard.

TLZ

Banned
The tablet portion is 300g. I assume if Nintendo were to target VR with the Switch they would sell a dedicated plastic headset to put the tablet in, not make people build labo cardboard.
They should. But they should also add a head strap to distribute the weight properly and make it convenient. The joycons should be detached as they're perfectly usable that way.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The anti-Labo attitude is frankly bizarre. I thought the embarrassingly juvenile handwringing over Nintendo's non-core gamer products died off after all the crow eaten when the Wii turned into one of Nintendo's biggest revenue boosts in history.

They should. But they should also add a head strap to distribute the weight properly and make it convenient. The joycons should be detached as they're perfectly usable that way.

I don't think you're paying attention:

My impression is that accurate headtracking requires the use of the joycon sensors in addition to the screen unit, and that this is why the Labo VR headset (and the one patented above) will always require it to be played with them on the sides. Now, perhaps they could permit a headstrap mode if you had 2 additional joycons to hold in your hand while playing, but that's confusing for customers and unlikely to be supported. Also... the Switch Lite has them attached, and they likely want to target that console equally if they do make a non-Labo headset.

While the tablet itself has some tracking or gyro, it's pretty clear that they need the joycons to get it as smooth as you'd need for VR. And yeah, you could still play with separate joycons, but given that this would require 4, it will never be the default for their headset.

scalman

maybe games with specific art style without textures just colors would work because what spepcs can Switch make for VR i mean its runs hard on its own screen allready. or if VR would have like its own hardware as Oculus Quest

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Some people (here and online in general like in VR communities I participate in) need to stop thinking about Nintendo's current efforts in terms of the enthusiast VR space just to bash them like fanboys or as if we gain anything as non-monetized users from clickbait style conversations.

They're just dipping their toes like they dipped their toes in AR with the DS line etc.

Plus, everybody always puts them down for not having the latest and greatest tech. Yet look at how successful all their systems are (with a dud or two here and there like the Wii U). Switch is selling gangbusters and it's just a more powerful Vita with a few twists here and there, lol. Clearly they do well where it counts for success, whether that's software development, marketing, the hardware twists, etc, or all of that combined, where Sony totally failed with the Vita despite it being far more high tech for its launch year.

If Nintendo do a real VR platform I expect it will take after Quest style (just like HTC's focus is basically a Quest too, Oculus nailed the design really), but their first party exclusive software/twists/marketing is what's gonna sell it (or fail it).

Super cheap to make and buy Switch toys aren't it. Labo VR wasn't a competitor to Oculus/Vive and this, if it materializes, even if it's plastic and not cardboard based, will clearly not be a PSVR/Quest competitor either. Switch just isn't equipped for that sort of thing, these are just niche toys for it.

An experiment or two here and there is nothing to care so much about to go all conspiracy theorist on how they do it to harm the VR they fear like some have said since Labo VR became a thing, lol. They won't even sell that much (the various Labo kits also sold like tens of thousands of units rather than any of the many millions the Switch hardware or its high profile software sell) to think they will make any kind of impact on that level. Or as if Oculus put out the sub par Go (VR without 6dof controllers/HMD is bleh regardless, shit, even Nintendo's Labo VR managed a half baked 6dof controller in some set ups!) for the same reason, to harm the VR platform they thrive on, and not as a precursor to the Quest that does most things right finally as far as stand alone VR kits go.

Not to mention Labo VR and Labo in general was well received for the most part once people actually got to play with it so for all the low end tech and the cardboard they achieved what they wanted, provide fun to the specific target audience that invested in that sort of thing, even if it was always gonna be a super niche line that wasn't gonna set the world on fire as the days of the Wii craze are long gone (hence the Switch's primary focus being completely different, even if they still dabble in that sort of creative thing whenever they feel like it because why not).

Also funny how people are eager to go hard on Nintendo in such threads and compare them to the big VR boys with multiple pages and threads getting active with hate yet when I post news/games/stuff about PC VR nobody cares and I'm the only one in that thread, great VR care & priorities >_>

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
How is the switch supposed to do vr at low res and low frame rate. Its baggy on ps4 pro
yep. the switch just isn't powerful enough to put out high resolutions/framerates needed. for VR you should have 90fps minimum. the switch can't go beyond 1080p docked so no chance will it managed a VR headset. a PSVR has 1080x960 per eye. so the Switch would struggle to render for one eye! even if could match the PSVR....it'd still be a blurry mess.

if this is all true then expect VR to be an awful experience on the Switch. try looking at a screen running at 30-60Hz up close with just 720-1080p....i dare you.

🤮 <<< that'll be you.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
That's extremely vague and doesn't tell us much. Give us numbers.

That's via NPD so we probably won't get any, but I take Mat to mean if you sort the top 2019 games by revenue and then filter for those which require a VR device, you end up with

1. Labo Toy-Con 04 VR Kit
  2. Firewall Zero Hour
  3. Blood and Truth
  4. Astro Bot Rescue Mission
  5. Borderlands 2 VR
(I'll be honest -- I'd never heard of #2 and #3 till now.)

Reactions: TLZ

Kazza

Playing Astrobot is probably the closest thing we'll get to a nintendo experience on decent VR anytime soon. On ps4 pro that game looks incredible.

Nintendo will release a Mario game using the same gameplay concept in the future, and then everyone will hail Nintendo for their inventiveness and for revolutionising the 3D VR platformer, and everyone will forget about poor Astrobot.

Zannegan

Saw the notification and came in here thinking we were talking about a Rift Go-style all-in-one. Then I click the article to see that monstrosity. Ugh.

Not that I'm hoping for a full-on VR headset, per se, but this is just boring and kind of tacky. Gimme something to think about Nintendo.

Top Bottom