• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Nintendo to announce Switch VR later this year.

TYRiAX

Totally uninterested in any VR push that required you to use the existing switch.... imo to get ppl to start using VR the headsets need to be better spec'd then whats out today not worse

Wonko_C

Isn't the oculus quest similarly powered to the Switch? Still I don't see it happening to the current switch, only on a smaller version with a higher res display.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
The Switch is well-suited for inexpensive VR: slip the Switch tablet into the wearable VR headset to serve as the screen and control it with the wireless joycons. Cheap, simple VR.
It could work exactly the same way as the Google daydream. Which works quite well apart from two things:

1. The pixel phones overheated which caused huge probkems
2. There were very few good games

Nintendo wouldn't have a problem with number 2. Number 1 I don't know tbh.

Makes absolutely no fucking sense, and anyone who willingly believes that a theoretical 'gen1 Switch VR' setup sits anywhere near the realm of real-world possibility is either a rube, or just someone who is only tangentially aware of VR.

Last edited:

StormCell

Has a Hellpoint dev confirmed this?

So that's who she must work for.

OT: So I made it through 2 pages of comments, and I find the bigger news here is that Emily Rogers is writing for NWR now. Planet GameCube was home for me during that generation. I think that Billy was one of my inspirations to write about games, and I've always had a fondness for that site even though it's not really the same anymore.

Considering how widely known she is, I'm a bit surprised that she started contributing without any announcements that I could find.

Last edited:
Look the dream is Pokemon with mixed reality like Microsoft Hololens or Google Glass...

The reality right now though...will be much less than that...

Virex

Banned
So that's who she must work for.

OT: So I made it through 2 pages of comments, and I find the bigger news here is that Emily Rogers is writing for NWR now. Planet GameCube was home for me during that generation. I think that Billy was one of my inspirations to write about games, and I've always had a fondness for that site even though it's not really the same anymore.

Considering how widely known she is, I'm a bit surprised that she started contributing without any announcements that I could find.
You understand me wrong. What I meant is if there is a Hellpoint dev that confirmed Nintendo is doing VR. Because if there is not Hellpoint dev that confirmed this. Then it probably isn't true. Hellpoint Dev Knows All. Hellpoint Dev Is All. Hellpoint Dev Transcends All. Hellpoint Dev Is All That Is, Was, And Ever Will Be.

ultrazilla

Seems that a Switch Pro would be a better fit if Nintendo plans on doing VR with Switch.

After playing the amazing Astro Bot VR on Sony's VR, the whole time playing it I was blown away
and telling myself, "this is exactly what I envisioned a Mario VR to be like".

Nintendo and VR could be something special but IMO they can't "cheap" the hardware. For a good
experience, they're gonna have to produce a Switch that has beefed up specs to run split screen
90fps....

StormCell

You understand me wrong. What I meant is if there is a Hellpoint dev that confirmed Nintendo is doing VR. Because if there is not Hellpoint dev that confirmed this. Then it probably isn't true. Hellpoint Dev Knows All. Hellpoint Dev Is All. Hellpoint Dev Transcends All. Hellpoint Dev Is All That Is, Was, And Ever Will Be.

I'm basically ignorant when it comes to Hellpoint Dev. I've seen the rumors sourced to them, and I've seen some people mocking the Hellpoint Dev as the source. Don't know how seriously I should take any of it.

As far as Switch VR is concerned, I'd been speculating it across various forums since before the Switch's launch. All the dots have been there for the connecting the whole time. If Emily Rogers is passing it along as a rumor, then we should all expect that a prototype already exists in the wild and there's insider speculation of it possibly heading to the market.

Of course, it's likely to be gimmicky, and as some have pointed out the current Switch is a bit too hefty. Maybe a Switch-mini will offer the form factor that is more fitting for a VR application. I also wouldn't rule out some form of co-processing with a VR headset. If anything, I would think this is confirmation that a Switch revision will ship with a 1080p screen.

Last edited:
Look the dream is Pokemon with mixed reality like Microsoft Hololens or Google Glass...

The reality right now though...will be much less than that...
I mean, kind of? I still believe I'd prefer a Pokemon VRMMO where I can explore all these regions, though a well done Pokemon Go game using AR glasses would be amazing too.

I suppose it could be a mix of both actually.

Impossible. Switch is severly underpowered as to being compatible with VR. At the very minimum, you need a machine equal to PS4 . Let alone the fact that games have to be run at 120 fps (60 per eye) so it can work. The example of mobile phones is absurd for that is not actual VR. That is ok for videos and apps but not for games, which require head / body tracking and native controls.

I don't understand how this sort of ridiculous rumors are even vented on any media outlet.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
they could easily do this. Switch has similar tech to phones and in 2015 they already had GearVR for phones. i tried a few apps and it worked really nice, did some breakout style games and one really immersive aquarium one. don't give me "that is not actual VR". we had VR running on mobile devices four years ago.

yeah it doesn't have modern graphics but PS2/3-level graphics in VR work very well. the games were not terribly demanding and looked good at 60fps. VR is not an established genre and claiming that lack of certain controls make it not VR is silly. this is first generation, they are just figuring this stuff out.

Nintendo unlike other companies doesn't mind not going overboard with technical gimmicks in favor of solid gameplay & design so that would be a big plus. fwiw Switch VR is one of the ideas i had when i first learned of Labo.

Last edited:

azz0r

Banned
I think Nintendo could do this by releasing a switch that doesn't support portable mode. Then have a really powerful home console with the same software but supports enhanced games. Could still run the game on a portable switch but without VR and the extra effects

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Impossible. Switch is severly underpowered as to being compatible with VR. At the very minimum, you need a machine equal to PS4 . Let alone the fact that games have to be run at 120 fps (60 per eye) so it can work. The example of mobile phones is absurd for that is not actual VR. That is ok for videos and apps but not for games, which require head / body tracking and native controls.

I don't understand how this sort of ridiculous rumors are even vented on any media outlet.

I’m be not done a comparison but from what I can see, the switch is more powerful than a Pixel 1 phone and that handled VR pretty decent (not at the PS4 levels of course). Apart from, as I mentioned above, the over heating problem.

I see no reason why the switch can be a better Google daydream.

scalman

VR needs lots power, switch can handle only 720p in handled mode. it cant power any VR at all. 4x power still not enough there

they could easily do this. Switch has similar tech to phones and in 2015 they already had GearVR for phones. i tried a few apps and it worked really nice, did some breakout style games and one really immersive aquarium one. don't give me "that is not actual VR". we had VR running on mobile devices four years ago.

yeah it doesn't have modern graphics but PS2/3-level graphics in VR work very well. the games were not terribly demanding and looked good at 60fps. VR is not an established genre and claiming that lack of certain controls make it not VR is silly. this is first generation, they are just figuring this stuff out.

Nintendo unlike other companies doesn't mind not going overboard with technical gimmicks in favor of solid gameplay & design so that would be a big plus. fwiw Switch VR is one of the ideas i had when i first learned of Labo.
Switch is an 11 ounce tablet with a 720p screen and no inbuilt motion sensing. You haven't thought this through. Shit ain't happening.

Pasedo

Maybe the Switch Lite will be small and light enough to place into a VR enclosure. Much like the Samsung VR Gear model. Though the advantage Nintendo have is their game development backbone to succeed in this space where other phone manufacturers struggle. They won't go for high end VR experiences but the usual low graphics high gaming experience.

20cent

Banned
From the source of Emily Rogers' source; expect Nintendo Labo / Google Cardboard level of "accessory" with micro experiences or mini games like .....Nintendo Labo (NintenDogs/Pokemon Go).

Rodolink

If they do they'll never do it as all of us are thinking. Nintendo might be working in "something" that "appears" to be VR or "seems" I dont know how to say it. Its like with the 3DS were they added the 3D to the scren itself instead of using glasses. Of course they are thinking on VR just not in the way everyone expects.

Mecha Meow

I'm always up for whatever wacky shit Nintendo comes up with. I was there with a preordered Virtual Boy back in 1995!

A Switch VR with included co-processing unit could easily allow such a thing to exist. Maybe even an AIO unit that takes Switch carts.

There is no logical basis by which to entertain this absolutely absurd fantasy. y'all don't even know how silly you sound about this.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
The Switch is well-suited for inexpensive VR: slip the Switch tablet into the wearable VR headset to serve as the screen and control it with the wireless joycons. Cheap, simple VR.
I'm not sure on the weight of current VR displays, but I would think the Swtich would be a bit more front heavy? I could see a peripheral maybe doing the heavy lifting and selling a separate headset; I've never thought of it and I'mma start looking into it, but I'm wondering if they could offload more of the processing into a heavier backed dock. Should be doable in theory.

Damn Hellpoint Dev even taking a spin on Nintendo now.

VR really requires a base level of hardware the Switch can't really support as is. So an upgrade would be needed. Not to Tegra X2, but rather Tegra Xavier.

And since Nintendo is not about powers, i would call this rumor bunk.
Yeah at it's current level I couldn't see it handling VR very well; I'm guessing this is a telephoned "We had a meeting about it during development," into "They totally might do it in the future, it was talked about."

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm not sure on the weight of current VR displays, but I would think the Swtich would be a bit more front heavy? I could see a peripheral maybe doing the heavy lifting and selling a separate headset; I've never thought of it and I'mma start looking into it, but I'm wondering if they could offload more of the processing into a heavier backed dock. Should be doable in theory.
The Switch unit is 10.48 ounces.

The full PS VR headset is 21 ounces (I picked PS VR because it is heavier than Vive or Rift).

Hard to say if it would be too front-heavy. All depends on how the headset shell is built.

We are, of course, just speculating. Who knows if Nintendo would go this route, but I think it's a smart way to do it, personally.

Makariel

While I would welcome a Nintendo VR with open arms, I seriously doubt the Switch would have anywhere near the required horsepower to pull that off.

AfC79o9.png

The full PS VR headset is 21 ounces (I picked PS VR because it is heavier than Vive or Rift).
PSVR is still more comfortable to wear than Vive or Rift, since these two are rather front-heavy. I've not tried the vive pro, I don't know enough filthy rich people who would buy such a thing and then let me play an hour of beat saber with it. If the switch VR headset-thing is well balanced it should be alright.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
The Switch unit is 10.48 ounces.

Hard to say if it would be too front-heavy. All depends on how the headset shell is built.

We are, of course, just speculating. Who knows if Nintendo would go this route, but I think it's a smart way to do it, personally.
I could see a mount for the Switch only being about 10 ounces, Ninty has always been into selling addons for their products, wonder if this will fall into that.

Thanks for answering that beeteedubs, I totally didn't feel like researching VR head set weights at the present moment *Is currently playing his Switch working*

cryptoadam

Banned
I could see a low-power headset a la Oculus go that you can buy separately that also plays switch games in VR. It could even use the joycons as its controllers if they had some kind of hand-tracking camera built into the headset to make up for their weak tracking capabilities.

I could even see an add-on headset with a screen and optics that connects to the headset via usb-c.

Slotting the current Switch into a box with a pair of infinity-focus lenses like Google Cardboard would be disastrous however.

Regardless, I won't believe any of this until be get a better source than ER. She certainly knows people who knows things, but she's willing to put her name to too many unverified rumors that never pan out (that Earthbound remake, for instance)

This is what I was thinking. Rumors are its linked to LABO so why not release a LABO with a screen essentiall?

It would be powered by the Switch, but the LABO kit would come with built in screens that are better suited for VR.

If it is true no one should expect Oculus/VIVE or even PSVR. This will be more basic than Google cardboard. It will be more along the lines of my kids first VR.

But if it can work might be a good way to attract games while PS5/NEXTBOX hype is in full swing.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy

People thinking Emily Rogers is credible.

Or basically people thinking x is credible.

We reallly need a list of people who are actually trustworthy, happens far too often lately that rumors are posted and they are either done by known names with no proper track record or even complete randoms with zero evidence of accountablity.

There needs to be a standard.

Jagz

I'd much prefer to experience it in 3rd person VR anyway. Zelda in 1st person would be great only when it's designed for it.
In that case, I believe that's already currently possible, most likely with a combination of VorpX and Cemu on PC. There's even a Dolphin emulator VR fork, which lets you play GameCube and Wii games in VR, letting you play stuff like PSO, Metroid Prime, Skies of Arcadia, etc in full on VR.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
PSO in VR... Sega get on remastering Blue Burst now!
Screw that! Translate PSO2! Playing it on PC they keep adding more and more to it, and would be a hit for a free game out here in the American market.

Too bad PSO2 Cloud on the Switch doesn't run well T.T

Wonko_C

That ship has looooong sailed. I liked PSO2 at first (played for years on the Japanese server), then it became "too anime" (I hate use that term but I don't know how else to describe it) and didn't really have the same desolate and moody atmosphere of the first game. So I bailed out.

I still fire up Blue Burst on the PC and hang around Ep1 Forest and Ep2 from time to time, being literally inside those worlds would be a dream come true.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Lucky you exactly this game exists already:

Yeah I saw that a while back on here I think - it's literally my dream game. Sadly only playable at special events I think. I'd pay money, good money, to play on that.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I don't get the insistence that 720p can't create an enjoyable VR experience. The iPhone 6s is 720p as well (actually, slightly lower total pixel count than the Switch, I believe), and while it's not intended for PSVR-style games, it can produce a ton of enjoyable VR experience with Google Cardboard. I still break it out to watch interesting animation shorts and other mini experiences, and it's undoubtedly very fun. Yeah, it's not a serious VR setup like the Oculus etc, but I wouldn't expect Nintendo to try it for anything more than a cool trick and extra feature for a grin.

Last edited:
I don't get the insistence that 720p can't create an enjoyable VR experience. The iPhone 6s is 720p as well (actually, slightly lower total pixel count than the Switch, I believe), and while it's not intended for PSVR-style games, it can produce a ton of enjoyable VR experience with Google Cardboard. I still break it out to watch interesting animation shorts and other mini experiences, and it's undoubtedly very fun. Yeah, it's not a serious VR setup like the Oculus etc, but I wouldn't expect Nintendo to try it for anything more than a cool trick and extra feature for a grin.

The first mistake you made was comparing Mobile VR to Home VR.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The first mistake you made was comparing Mobile VR to Home VR.

The Switch is a hybrid. I wouldn't expect it to even be interested in competing with Oculus-like home-VR multimedia solutions. But I do expect Nintendo to create some amusing & novel experiences with the same tech that is perfectly enjoyable on other mobile devices today.

The Switch is a hybrid. I wouldn't expect it to even be interested in competing with Oculus-like home-VR multimedia solutions. But I do expect Nintendo to create some amusing & novel experiences with the same tech that is perfectly enjoyable on other mobile devices today.

Yeah, but mobile VR seems to be very shallow, so for Nintendo to really get gamers attention they at least have to go half-way on a docked home VR. Issues is Switch doesn't have the specs to do it.

There is a rumor of a "more powerful" Switch though, that might be something.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
With what device though? Wouldn't they need a new VR Switch console\handheld?
Honestly I’d take it however it came. I trust Nintendo to get it right when/if they enter the VR space.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Honestly I’d take it however it came. I trust Nintendo to get it right when/if they enter the VR space.

I can't imagine Nintendo creating a system powerful enough to do VR "AND" be a handheld at the sametime. Maybe it'll be a non-handheld hardware.

Why, though? I mean, if they were to wait for the technology to become inexpensive and easily replicable then sure, but we ain't there yet and the current state of VR development doesn't suit Nintendo on any level (not to mention, perhaps more importantly, that the inverse is also true)

Last edited:
Top Bottom