• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of this is really surprising.

A screen was probably always happening with the continued focus on Miiverse and the success of Splatoon and Mario Maker. Not to mention Miitomo being text input heavy.

Mario Maker needed a port or new version so all the old courses can be played.

Smash Brothers is a very competitive game they can add new DLC characters.

Splatoon being up in the air makes me think it'll won't get released if Splatoon 2 is able to come out in May 2016.

I really doubt they'll waste money and space on backwards-compatibility.

Alebrije

The return of the king , The Sony evil years are done

giphy.gif

Seriously , NX needs to be more powerfull than PS4 so developers like Rockstar and From put their games on nintendo s console

This all sounds like a big step in the right direction. Don't let me down, Nintendo! Ratchet and Clank has me drooling over what a Mario platformer on that kind of hardware could look like.

Rad, confirmation (or as much confirmation as we'll get before Nintendo says so) of a Smash port. I hope they go all out and include 3DS stages and a newcomer or two!

Foffy

Banned
It's coming out 3 years later, I would hope that it would be more powerful than the PS4. Lol Then again, I'm not seeing Nintendo putting out anything rivaling UC4 or Gears of War 4 for a while though. Interesting to see how this affects Sony and MS.

I would imagine their iterative platforms will outclass this machine. :(

Neiteio

One big question is whether Smash NX is a straight port or if it has something extra.

If they were just to add one character, it'd have to be Inklings. The headline "Smash x Splatoon" alone would be enough to send Japan into a tizzy.

Inklings and Ice Climbers -- both added with the justification "WiiU wasn't capable enough to support the ink and Nana." I could see it happening.

Only issue would be dividing the userbase when playing online.

Nanashrew

Banned
So far we have, 10k, Natedrake, Emily, Rosti, Indie Gamer Chick, and few others all saying the same things. This rumor could very well be true.

EDIT: Also LCGeek pretty much telling everyone that the CPU was better and they have the credentials as they've leaked Nintendo's CPU's for decades now.

RoKKeR

Whether or not any of this pans put, you can't deny the excitement of a new console launch. Very interested to see what they come up with. I'm not going to have enough money for these damn consoles, but there is a lot of great stuff to be played!

Eolz

Well, new thread!
I'm pretty sure there won't be a Splatoon port, but the rest is plausible enough.

I'll ask this question here I guess lol

What if there's a NX handheld, but only the Japanese devs got it considering how important handhelds are in Japan and the western devs got the NX console only which would explain why they know nothing about a NX handheld?

One big question is whether Smash NX is a straight port or if it has something extra.

If they were just to add one character, it'd have to be Inklings. The headline "Smash x Splatoon" alone would be enough to send Japan into a tizzy.

Inklings and Ice Climbers -- both added with the justification "WiiU was capable enough to support the ink and Nana." I could see it happening.

Only issue would be dividing the userbase when playing online.
I could see that, though I wonder if they would add another 3rd Party to grab more headlines. Hell, they've got Square, throw Sora in there; KH fans are used to buying new systems for one game.

orochi91

So far we have, 10k, Natedrake, Emily, Rosti, Indie Gamer Chick, and few others all saying the same things. This rumor could very well be true.

It has to be true.

NX is releasing ~3 years after the PS4 and XB1.

It should be noticeably more powerful.

Neoxon

I still highly doubt that we'll get anything brand new for Smash 4 beyond what we already have, except maybe the Ice Climbers & the 3DS stages (the former of which would be legit new). As for Splatoon, I only hope that Nintendo doesn't blow their load & waste substantial features on the port instead of saving them for the sequel.

Maybe we've been asking the wrong questions about the "NX Handheld". I've been saying this many times, because it's likely that the Handheld is under a different codename. They can still be "like brothers", since iPad and iPhone for example, also have different codenames from each other.

giphy.gif

Seriously , NX needs to be more powerfull than PS4 so developers like Rockstar and From put their games on nintendo s console

power is probably not why those developers/publishers are not on nintendo consoles.

UNLIMITED POWEERRRR....

0EmhZVy.gif

but seriously these kind of threads seem pointless: The NX's success is not going to hinge on power but on 3d party enticements, price points, retailer channel strategy, release dates, mobile integration, and a ton of other things frankly outside Nintendo's control.

jobrro

Remember when the Wii U was suppose to be as powerful as the PS4/Xbox One and at one point even more powerful?

Yeah.

Believe it when I see it.

I do not remember that. It launched well before they were announced?

I do remember getting the impression the Wii U was a sizable upgrade over the PS360. I was thinking it would be 2-4x more powerful and could basically play the same games that a PS360 would render at 720p, but the Wii U would be able to play at 1080p.

I was also wrong. But it still plays some pretty great Nintendo games, so the Wii U ain't all bad.

Neiteio

Nintendo, go for the jugular

Mario Galaxy 3 and Metroid Prime 4 at E3

Mario Maker installed on every NX

Smash NX feat. Inklings and Ice Climbers

Pikmin 4 an NX exclusive at launch

Diddy Kong Racing 2

Mother 3 localized

Beyond Good & Evil 2 an NX exclusive

tumblr_lt528a7CB11qaglflo2_250.gif

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sounds good so far... If the Japanese 3rdparty support is there it will be the perfect system for me.
Why is Nintendo always late to the party? PS4K and Xbone 2 are right around the corner.
Late to which party? Unless you think Sony will sell you a 4K for 300 bucks lol.

Coffinhal

So no big concept behind the NX ? Just a home console that can handle current-gen quality games ; and maybe a new handheld later with some ports. It seems just like a Wii U+3DS with more 3rd party to me. It's weird that we have news about the architecture, the games, the remasters, the handled plans but nothing on the big concept promised etc.

Cool. Hey, how about announcing this goddamn thing already?

Yeah, let's put to trash all our media planning for the next year because there are —believe it or not — rumors about a new console.
Are you serious or gaffing?

Nanashrew

Banned
It has to be true.

NX is releasing ~3 years after the PS4 and XB1.

It should be noticeably more powerful.

Yep!

That's something I also kept having to say in the previous thread. It's the only logical answer because the tech has matured now and the parts are cheaper. There's also no room below the two systems or between because PS4 and XBO are fairly identical, even using the same Jaguar CPUs.

balgajo

Since we now have an even newer unverified source betting their reputation on vague rumors, we can move to that thread.
ModBot locked the other thread with this message. Wth does it means?

was that ever a thing?

I think he's confusing it with the PS3/360, in which case he's accurate in that early rumors were saying that it was a big step up compared to those consoles. The opinion was similar to what you're seeing in here which is "Well, it's coming out X amount of years after those, so i'd certainly hope that it was much more powerful".

giphy.gif

It doesn't need to be more powerful than the PS4. More than power, the NX needs a game library which will draw in gamers.

Nintendo, go for the jugular

Mario Galaxy 3 and Metroid Prime 4 at E3

Mario Maker installed on every NX

Smash NX feat. Inklings and Ice Climbers

Pikmin 4 an NX exclusive at launch

Mother 3 localized

tumblr_lt528a7CB11qaglflo2_250.gif

If Nintendo literally comes out and punches everyone in the jaw with bombs like this ala Sony E3 2015, then damn man that would be hype. Chances are it won't happen. But honestly Nintendo certainly has the capability to absolute kill it at E3 with bomb after bomb, and the small chance it could be fantastic has me pumped.

Son Of D

If Smash 4 does come to NX, can't see it being cross-play with Wii U. I imagine it'll have some upscaled 3DS stages and maybe some new ones. Make it less of a direct port and a bit more remaster-esque.

I could see that, though I wonder if they would add another 3rd Party to grab more headlines. Hell, they've got Square, throw Sora in there; KH fans are used to buying new systems for one game.

Sora is Disney. Could see a Dragon Quest character to get Japanese fans intrigued.

Neoxon

Sora is a licensing nightmare (character owned by Disney, design/clothes owned by Square-Enix), but I get that you're only using him as an example. But if anything, we'd be more likely to get whoever the intended Rhythm Heaven rep was (likely the Chorus Kids) seeing as the rep probably wouldn't have sold well on his/her/their own via DLC. Either way, I still doubt that the Smash 4 port will be anything more than Smash 4: Complete Edition, but I'd love to be wrong.

And one other thing, THE SMASH 4 PORT BETTER SUPPORT THE GAMECUBE ADAPTER , OR ALLOW FOR SOME KIND OF WIRED CONTROLLER, ON THE NX CONSOLE!!!!!! I can't stress that enough. And unless Nintendo wants the NX Platform port of Smash 4 to be DoA, with the competitive scene sticking with the Wii U for the foreseeable future, I'm sure that they'll use their common sense & allow GameCube controllers.....or some kind of wired controller.

FelipeMGM

uuuugh, enough with the fucking NX rumours. Nintendo, just show this thing so this stuff can stop

Im pretty excited for it too, but the constant strain of rumors is annoying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom