• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Paul Thurrott: Xbox 720 is expensive: $500 or $300 for sub model, 5/21 Unveil

daebo

Totally getting a PS3 feel on all this.

I can afford all this stuff, but I like absolutely nothing I've heard.

I normally don't wish for any company to ever do bad, but this is one of those times I think a major company needs to be slapped back to reality.

Just not liking what I'm hearing.

Price is fine, I would thought that with a 2/3 year subscription the machine would be $199 and not $299.

And I would be really surprised if the subscription model is living the USA or if it would be just an USA thing.

RetroStu

Banned
Which makes me wonder why they'd go with a subscription model in the first place (at launch). Still a shitty price, at least in Europe.

Yeah i said that in another thread, its like getting a $200 discount on launch day if you're an online gamer.

I'm guessing people will see the $300 price, see that you have to subscribe to XBL for x number of years, see it as a good deal because they would get XBL regardless

Maybe. But is there really any reason to think the price of live won't go up, too? I would be surprised if they kept the same price for live nextgen.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
No, sorry, don't think so. lol. $500 without the sub model given what we know...no.

If we don't know something (REIKO SAVE US) then I could see it.

PS4 will probably be right around $500 too, so i'm not shocked at those Durango Prices.

Let's not forget that the Wii U just launched at $300/350. It's going to be above that for both of these consoles I could see this $500/300 model for MS and a typical $450/500 model between two PS4 models with different size harddrives or something.

Plasma

Banned
So always online, expensive and no backwards compatibility Microsoft are making it really easy for me to not want to buy one.

Honestly wonder what the people at Microsoft are thinking if all of this turns out to be true.

DesertFox

Never been so antsy for official word on a console before. Microsoft's silence is so painful at this point. With so many horrible rumors floating around I wish they would just stop being so stubborn and tell us what they have planned for the future Xbox.

-Internet required
-No BC
-Microsoft's focus slowly shifting away from games
-Heavily rumored to block used games
-$500

1349110594814.gif

This gen going to be a no brainer for me.

Yep! WiiU it is...

I'm guessing people will see the $300 price, see that you have to subscribe to XBL for x number of years, see it as a good deal because they would get XBL regardless

no second job jokes yet? unfortunately Wario64 is right, it will make sense to the core XBox fan..

Jeels

I hope Sony does a subscription model too because I'd pay for PS+ anyway.

300 + 3 years of PS+ or something.

Whats the point of a subscription console if it isnt stupid cheap?
As long as it's cheaper than the unlocked model it'll get the job done. Should I get the 500 dollar one? That plus a game plus Live will take me pretty high. Or I can just get the 200 dollar cheaper one considering I plan to get Live anyway.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Microsoft's Xbox Division is like Icarus. They are flying too hide due to ego and greed and they are going to plummet to the ground after the realization that they screwed up.

Cramoss

If true I'm glad microsoft is making it way more easier for people to decide which console not to buy.

gaming_noob

I can deal with paying a premium for the best hardware... But with everything pointing to PS4 being more powerful I don't think I want to pay equivalent price + LIVE Gold fee for shittier hardware...

$500 doesn't seem too far out of whack, but I'd be willing to bet a small child that the subsidized model will be $200, not $300.

McHuj

There's nothing precluding Sony from having a subscription plan as well to match MS.

MS probably wants to discourage the none subscription sku so people get hooked on paying the monthly fee.

Fox Mulder

the ps4 will probably be $500 too.

A $200 difference will look awesome to lots of people, especially if it's just agreeing to a contract for a service they already willingly pay for. Plus it'll have a bundled kinect for all the next gen dancing games.

Jas

"must have an internet connection to use"
"$500 or $300 with subscription"

"it's all positive! I don't see any bad news here"

I couldn't stop laughing watching this.

ekim

I'm more and more inclined to think MS is making up this false "leaks" to surprise us all at the reveal... I hope... :(

wildfire

Banned
hahahahahaha, $500 - unless there's some phenomenal feature(s) that hasn't been revealed yet, no chance I'd spend that much, and if the always online is true then I won't be buying one anyway.

It's being bundled with the newest version of kinect which can probably track 4 people at once.

So gaf. WiiU Tablet or Kinect?

Whats the point of a subscription console if it isnt stupid cheap?

Get the 360. Duh

So always online, expensive and no backwards compatibility Microsoft are making it really easy for me to not want to buy one.

Honestly wonder what the people at Microsoft are thinking if all of this turns out to be true.

It feels like a lot of the team working on this system worked previously on phones, television shows, movies rather than games.

AOC83

Banned
- always online
- no used games
- 500$
- forced kinect
- no BC
- weaker hardware than PS4

I´m really starting to believe the Third Console Curse is real. There would be no other way to explain this.

UberTag

They're utterly convinced that the Xbox LIVE ecosystem is entrenched and will migrate to the Durango because they have nowhere else to go.

Guess what? I agree with them on one point. They ARE entrenched. They're entrenched on Xbox 360. That doesn't mean they'll all make the switch to another platform even if their initial buy-in price is $299 compared to $449-499 for the PS4.

The other angle is that Microsoft is likely to spend 2 to 3 times as much money as Sony on advertising this year. They believe they can overwhelm the market so much with ad dollars that it won't matter that they're always online and offering inferior tech.

And that's before we know what exclusives from EA Microsoft has been able to successfully moneyhat.

I'm not sure why people are lumping the PS4 in this. We know nothing of the actual contents of the next xbox console in terms of what you get at launch. Maybe the new kinect adds to the price a lot, maybe there is something else it contains that is expensive, and more importantly, it might be higher just to specifically make the sub model look more attractive.

I see no reason why the PS4 would hit 500. Especially considering they are more than likely to take a small loss on it.

Top Bottom