• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Phantasy Star Victory coming to PlayStation Vita? (PSV on PSV)

Takao

Banned

In news that’s just a bit old, as Magic Box reports it appears SEGA developer Kenichi Tanase has accidentally let the title of the next Phantasy Star game out on Twitter. It seems this new Phantasy Star will be titled Phantasy Star Victory (emphasis added).

Phantasy Star is an RPG franchise started by SEGA in 1987, and has become a fixture for the studio encompassing dozens of games, and other media. In particular, the series has spawned 2 successful spinoff brands, in Phantasy Star Online, and Phantasy Star Universe. The latest entry in Phantasy Star Universe is the PlayStation Portable title Phantasy Star Portable 2i.

Does the acronym PSV for Victory mean it’ll end up on PlayStation Vita, just as PSP ended up on PlayStation Portable? Chinese forum TG Bus seems to think so. In fact, they’re willing to say that the game was actually Phantasy Star Portable 3 for PSP, and that developer Sonic Team moved it to Vita after examining the current market, and feeling that platform’s time was over.

Is TG Bus’s description accurate? I don’t know. They may have translated the platform switch information from Kenichi Tanase’s Twitter page, but as I don’t understand Japanese, I can’t say for certain.[/b]

We do know SEGA has 5 titles in development for Vita. One of which we know to be Virtua Tennis 4, another heavily rumored to be Sonic Generations, and another to be a new IP from their newly launched UK Studio.

Source (Just a warning - it is my blog, but as no one else is reporting with the actual tweet in question, I might as well do it)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
xhibit.jpg

Eusis

That acronym is going to frustrate anyone who still wants a Phantasy Star 5. Good thing I don't care too much anymore!

Actually, it makes me wonder if other Japanese developers/publishers may move their games to the Vita (or at least release on both PSP and PSV) in order to keep them viable for exportation? Sounds like that's a large part of why PSP3's moved over if the rumors are true.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I want to tame my excitement until I know for sure....

Would be my #1 most anticipated Vita game by FAAAAAAARRR and probably one of my top 5 most anticipated games coming on any system quiet honestly...

Big One

Banned
Dunno if this'll end up being an online title or not. They usually insert something in the title that'll indicate this is online or not. "Phantasy Star Portable' for example gives us the impression that we're getting a port of a recent Phantasy Star game to the PSP. "Phantasy Star Victory" however could mean anything.

Aeana

Big One said:
Dunno if this'll end up being an online title or not. They usually insert something in the title that'll indicate this is online or not. "Phantasy Star Portable' for example gives us the impression that we're getting a port of a recent Phantasy Star game to the PSP. "Phantasy Star Victory" however could mean anything.
What about Phantasy Star 0?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
hey’re willing to say that the game was actually Phantasy Star Portable 3

If true Segac not localizing PSP2i hurts even more cause a PSP3 would assuredly be a continuation of the PSU/Portable storyline -_-

Eusis said:
That acronym is going to frustrate anyone who still wants a Phantasy Star 5.

me! PS1 was my first jrpg, mindblowing. i'll cross a finger for this but won't be getting my hopes up.

Eusis

Lindsay said:
If true Segac not localizing PSP2i hurts even more cause a PSP3 would assuredly be a continuation of the PSU/Portable storyline -_-
Is PSP2i a whole new story though, or is it just an update of PSP2? I wouldn't be surprised if it had new missions with new story information, but I imagine the latter's more of an acceptable loss.

A traditional Phantasy Star RPG on the same cart as the co-op lootfest the series has evolved into would be the greatest value ever, at any price. I haven't played DQIX, but isn't this what that game basically did?

Eusis

It would be VERY interesting to see Sega try that actually, compromising between its current status as Sega's online/co-op RPG and between the gameplay of the first four.

I seriously need a sequel to Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II.

Kyon said:
*faints*

@Sammy Samusu

Is that you Sam? It's Juanito! lol
LMAO! I'm on the floor right now. Gerl, relief your blood pressure, I don't know any Juanito.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Eusis said:
Is PSP2i a whole new story though, or is it just an update of PSP2? I wouldn't be surprised if it had new missions with new story information, but I imagine the latter's more of an acceptable loss.

PSP2i has PSP2s story mode (episode 1) and its own (episode 2) which they claimed to be 50% longer which is pretty decent since Ep1s story took me like 30 hours or something x_x! So ya it is its own game with its own new story and stuff. Since there is precedent of them having Ep1/2 on one disc I wanna hope they at least port Ep2 to PSV but this is Segac so its doubtful.

SolidSnakex said:
Beating Capcom to the punch with a new game like this on the Vita could net Sega some really nice sales.
It could be risky too. Portable blew up thanks to the well established MH base, now they're launching before that base is even there, if it even goes there.

Kyon

Banned
Sammy Samusu said:
I seriously need a sequel to Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II.

LMAO! I'm on the floor right now. Gerl, relief your blood pressure, I don't know any Juanito.
So weird. You guys are both named Sam and are Bey stans and talk the same too.....

Anyway, so did Vita ever get a predicted release date? I need this in my hands

Kyoufu

lunchwithyuzo said:
It could be risky too. Portable blew up thanks to the well established MH base, now they're launching before that base is even there, if it even goes there.

Vita has MonHun on day 1, and its not a question of "if" but "when"...for a completely new MH game for PSVita.

Eusis

Lindsay said:
PSP2i has PSP2s story mode (episode 1) and its own (episode 2) which they claimed to be 50% longer which is pretty decent since Ep1s story took me like 30 hours or something x_x! So ya it is its own game with its own new story and stuff. Since there is precedent of them having Ep1/2 on one disc I wanna hope they at least port Ep2 to PSV but this is Segac so its doubtful.
Oh, yeah, that WOULD make it frustrating. Wasn't exactly impressed by PSU's story so I don't care spoiling myself on what happens afterwards, but leaving a chunk out if it's a direct continuation and not something new would be frustrating.
DMPrince said:
wouldn't matter. probably won't come out in the US ;(
Why bother making this a PSV game though? PSP's doing very nicely in Japan and is probably a comfortable, safe place to release something like PSP3 on still.

mollipen

Yes. YES. Yeeeeeeeeeeees!

Just make sure those bastards at SOA get off their asses and get the thing over to us post-haste!

shidoshi said:

Just make sure those bastards at SOA get off their asses and get the thing over to us post-haste!
If it comes out in Europe, at least in French then I can still import!
Did PSP2 get localized in EU?

RedSwirl

Portable 2 is actually quite good from what I've played. If this is indeed a third Portable for the PSVita I really hope it get's a cross-compatible PS3 version like Dragon's Crown. That seriously needs to become a thing for a lot of these games to have a chance outside Japan.

Kyoufu

RedSwirl said:
Portable 2 is actually quite good from what I've played. If this is indeed a third Portable for the PSVita I really hope it get's a cross-compatible PS3 version like Dragon's Crown. That seriously needs to become a thing for a lot of these games to have a chance outside Japan.

Why wouldn't it have a chance on Vita, outside of Japan?

Kyoufu said:
Vita has MonHun on day 1, and its not a question of "if" but "when"...for a completely new MH game for PSVita.
That's like saying 3DS had Dragon Quest on day 1, and it's only a matter of when for a new one on the system. Or same deal for PS3 day one.

Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, but a new generation is always a reset when it comes to 3rd party games.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Eusis said:
Oh, yeah, that WOULD make it frustrating. Wasn't exactly impressed by PSU's story so I don't care spoiling myself on what happens afterwards, but leaving a chunk out if it's a direct continuation and not something new would be frustrating.

The story of PSU did improve with Ep3 and PSP. PSP2 kinda kickstarted its own story with some relations to the other games and was pretty decent!

shidoshi said:

PSP: 7 months
PSØ: 11 months
PSP2: 8 months
PSP2i: NEVER

It could go either way!

Takao

Banned
DMPrince said:
wouldn't matter. probably won't come out in the US ;(

Chinese folk seem to think it was initially a PSP game moved to Vita because Sonic Team felt PSP was no longer good for them. If that has any truth (which I don't know if it does) it's likely because of international appeal, as the PSP is still a greatly viable platform in Japan.

Top Bottom