• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] PlayStation 5 Cooling System Patent (Update: Codemaster Dev Claims Devkit)

Paradicia

It looks like a jetpack. I wonder how much R&D Sony have invested in making their next console less noisy. I'd say we'll see a much more scaled-down version of that for the final product. That schematic looks more like a dev kit than a console.

Nymphae

Banned
Hope it's better than the 4. It never really bothered me over the years too much, but I notice it a lot now in comparison to my absolutely whisper quiet PS3.

And I just did a full internal cleaning hoping that would make a difference - nope, if it did it's imperceptible. It's just a fucking loud beast. I don't care what these things look like anymore, just make it quiet.

Shin

Banned
That guy is in this PS4 teardown video:

EDIT: Since I'm Dutch myself I did some digging, you can read about the Patent here.
EDIT 2: Interesting PlayStation logo color, nod to old/original SIE?

nieuwe-console-770x508.jpg

sony-game-console.jpg

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Hope it's better than the 4. It never really bothered me over the years too much, but I notice it a lot now in comparison to my absolutely whisper quiet PS3.

And I just did a full internal cleaning hoping that would make a difference - nope, if it did it's imperceptible. It's just a fucking loud beast. I don't care what these things look like anymore, just make it quiet.
Couldn’t agree more, they should just take a similar approach MS did with the OneX . One thing MS does right is hardware this gen.
As for the patent it’s the strangest heatsink design I’ve ever seen unless the block on the V part is where the heat pipes go into.

Paradicia

There's an undercarriage for what I presume is for power input. Makes even more sense that you could stand it up in a 'V' now. #HYPE

NeroDaGod

Gold Member
That's what the Dutch article mentioned as well.
If that's the final design then it looks rather messy (even if it's a sketch).

Yeah I don't really like it either, but I have doubts it'll be the final design. Sony is usually a lot more 'subtle' with their hardware designs.

Tbone3336

Gold Member
From what it looks like if you stand it up so the V shows properly the output cords (HDMI and USB) look like they will come out from the top? Something seems off to me.

Dural

From what it looks like if you stand it up so the V shows properly the output cords (HDMI and USB) look like they will come out from the top? Something seems off to me.

It has legs on the right side when looking from the front to stand it on it's side.

Esppiral

I hope the ps5 is dead silence, the reason I didn't jump to the pro is the sky rocket🚀 noise. I got enough of that with my launch Xbox 360 and ps4.

Shin

Banned
Should rename the thread, see my post above, the article, new Tweet with images and what's not.
This is the PS5's design itself or the dev-kit at least (would make more sense looking at that extra button and port).

Last edited:

Banned
This looks more along the lines of a dev kit design. With that said, the design seems to be taking thermals and cooling into account, and maybe the "V" shape is a deliberate reference it to it being the 5th PlayStation console?

ultrazilla

Probably a dev kit that closely mimics the case design for the actual PS5. I say this because if *any* of the supposed rumors of performance is true(2080 card)
then it will surely need a good cooling solution. Anyways, this *looks* like it would be big enough for tons of cooling...including a liquid cooling option.

Top Bottom