• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PlayStation 5 launching in December 2020

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Sony itself has confirmed the new PlayStation 5 console will be out in Holiday 2020 but according to my industry sources we are to expect a firm December 2020 release. This makes sense as it would be a huge seller over the Black Friday/Thanksgiving holidays leading right into Christmas 2020. Sony will need as many of those 7nm chips that AMD and TSMC can make between now and then, in the order of millions and millions of new PS5 consoles.

My sources stated that Sony's next-gen PS5 will release "in December" but didn't provide an exact date. I would dare say it would be early December, but I also feel like December is too late. Releasing the PlayStation 5 in October would make more sense for Sony to ride the huge sales of November and right into the Christmas sales of December... but also whetting gamers' appetites with a huge December release would be equally as significant.

Id definitely say dec.....ps4 was just before dec also

Hopefully it gives them enough time to get some decent first party stuff on launch instead of 2 years of indie games and mediocre first party stuff.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I doubt Sony even know which month it will launch at this point.
Exactly. Chances are that they're still doing changes on the console, also, Xbox will have a lot of hardware im common with PS5, so the competition will start at the manufacturer

I can see this launch window, but more of a bet than for sure. And I can even see a delay because of games unfinished

Have two consoles ever launched so close together?

I can't see them dropping at the same time, not just for competitive reasons but for manufacturing reasons.

Launching after black friday? Won't that hurt sales more?

manzo

Battlefield 4 got me through those first two years of PS4. What an incredibly fun game it was back then.

Don't even fucking remind me. I bought my PS4 on european launch day along with the PSN version of BF4. The game was so fucking broken in launch that it wasn't even funny. 64 user conquests couldn't be accessed, the insane rubberbanding when 64 conquests were fixed a few weeks after go-live, crashes etc.

Last edited:
IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo doing God's work yet again.

whew.png

Only reason you'd release in December is if you were anticipating severe manufacturing limitations, but wanted something out for Christmas in however limited numbers.

Ideally you want something like September or October, so you can ride the launch wave, Black Friday, and have your Xmas sales benefit from the hype / friends list that you've already built up.

You want to be in mass production by June or July.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
here's a rumor i heard. it's not coming out in December. It's coming out in November!

or was it October?

we know it's Holiday 2020 so who really cares what exact month/day it comes out right now? by the time i start to give a damn about the specific day and time we'll know officially.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
A December release brings back memories of importing the PSX on December 1994

DonF

Mid november, Mark (cerny) my words! That way you generate hype for the holidays, thanksgiving, xmas...it makes too much sense.

Maybe in your territory it did?

Maybe, but I doubt it. I'm in the U.K., which was the first wave of class 1, tier A launches. We got our xbox before class B tier 2, Second wave, who got theirs after Class B Tier A intermediary wave Alpha. Or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Fbh

I see we are at the "we have a narrow enough time frame to start throwing around random guesses in the hopes of getting it right and establishing myself as an insider" part of a late console gen.

Cool, I'm going to say my "sources" tell me it's going to be November 20, 2020. If I get it right I want some "insider" tag.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
It's probably going to sell well and sell out at launch no matter when they launch but December seems late.

Top Bottom