• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Playstation 6 - Mark Cerny is back as PS6 Development Starts

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Who cares at this point, this gen is just about to start for real, after two years...
7dayg0.jpg

rofif

Banned
Settling for 30 FPS shouldn't be a choice. The baseline should be 60 FPS and adjust graphical output from there.
I would like there to be no modes at all.
Just be what it is and offer vrr unlock or something.
If there is no mode to compare to, to see that it looks better o runs smoother, then there is no loss.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
60fps is not everything. I will still take 30 or 40 with breathtaking graphics.
cpu is not a 30fps limiting factor now. It is a 60fps limiting factor. It is sometimes hard to hit 120fps because of cpu in ps5. Not 60.
It's all gpu. No amound of 3d cache would make sure games are 60fps lol.

Devs need to not be lazy and when they do 30 and 40fps modes, make them right and not this terrible, high input lag vsynced crap. Do what uncharted 4 did or bloodborne. Not 30fps in demons souls.
I think terrible 30fps with bad motion blur is the reason why people hate 30fps so much. Nobody cared with uncharted 4 and bloodborne because it was low input lag 30 and with very good motion blur.
Bloodborne is 75ms FASTER to control than demons 30fps on ps5. imagine that
sadly, it does for me.

Most of the time 30fps does not stays at 30fps, and dont forget about worse input lag in 30fps settings

gokurho

According to the latest rumours, Mark Cerny is BACK as lead as Playstation 6 development has BEGUN. This comes from a recent leak, but we examine what our sources have to say about the PS6 development, Mark Cerny, and any other info we have on the Playstation 6 next gen console. But the real question is, would Sony already be working on the hardware and architecture for the PS6 console? We also examine Mark Cerny's past accomplishments at Sony, and their development cycle for the PS4, PS4 Pro and PS5 to discover if it makes sense for the PS6 development cycle to be under way. But if it is, just what kind of improvements can we expect to not only gaming performance, but key technologies such as ray tracing? We also have updates on the PS6 Pro and the Xbox Series X Pro... or Xbox Series X 2 or whatever you want to call the Xbox Series mid gen upgrade.

Take it with a spoonful of salt

season 3 accident GIF

RedGamingTech

LOL

ACESHIGH

Banned
Stupid take. Now imagine a game at 360p @30 FPS with drops on the PS5. Lazy developers.

Talk about hyperbole. A 720p 30 fps can still look decent on a 1080p display which is what the ps4 was designed for Make the console go out with a bang, just like devs did on the 7th gen. If you want better IQ and FPS you can play the game on the upcoming console.

rofif

Banned
sadly, it does for me.

Most of the time 30fps does not stays at 30fps, and dont forget about worse input lag in 30fps settings
input lag is terrible at 30fps for most games this gen. But as I've sad, it does not have to be.
But as for stability, I don't see the issue. Aside from maybe forspoken, all 30fps games are solid 30

According to the latest rumours, Mark Cerny is BACK as lead as Playstation 6 development has BEGUN. This comes from a recent leak, but we examine what our sources have to say about the PS6 development, Mark Cerny, and any other info we have on the Playstation 6 next gen console. But the real question is, would Sony already be working on the hardware and architecture for the PS6 console? We also examine Mark Cerny's past accomplishments at Sony, and their development cycle for the PS4, PS4 Pro and PS5 to discover if it makes sense for the PS6 development cycle to be under way. But if it is, just what kind of improvements can we expect to not only gaming performance, but key technologies such as ray tracing? We also have updates on the PS6 Pro and the Xbox Series X Pro... or Xbox Series X 2 or whatever you want to call the Xbox Series mid gen upgrade.

season 3 accident GIF

The hardware isn't out yet but this is around the time they get started. Series X was set in stone in 2016 despite RDNA 2 not launching till 2020 and Zen 2 not till 2019.

samoilaaa

I hope there is no PRO this time around and we just jump to 6 with full ps4 and ps5 BC and physical drive.
But hope it's no sooner than in 4-5 years.
i dont think ps6 and xsx2 will have physical drive anymore , it think its safe to say that the majority prefer digital and the others will transition eventually , they will have no choice

I mean, the PS6 is going to be the easiest console to quess the specs of.

CPU - Zen 5 8C/16T
GPU - RDNA 5 72CU @ 3ghz
RAM - 24GB
SSD - 2TB @ 10gbs

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

season 3 accident GIF

I like this guy, because he supports Gravity rush

PS5 (and Series) aimed for solving the CPU bottleneck and going all in on SSD. Both of those features were clearly the weakest links of the previous gen, so that makes sense.

Now that we have well rounded consoles, what in the world could the next gen have to improve on, other than the usual "bigger numbers across the board"? Because if that's the case, why not just have a PS5 Pro and keep this train rolling?

Raytracing is the name of the game.

Last edited:
Here is what I want in the PS6.

Nivdia 5090ti or equivalent
64GB DDR6 ram
5TB SSD

Those should be a minimum
That's a very low bar.

Next year in 2024 we will have 5090s which means that in 2026 when ps6 comes out [hypothetically] they will run 5090s. Consoles are always 1 gen behind on GPUs. PS5 and Series X are in the 2080 RTX range.

I do not believe a PS6 will come out in 2026. 2028 at earliest, by then PCs will be running 7090s. Which means PS6/Next Xbox is 6090s minimum.

Remember new GPUS cycle every 2 years.

2020 3090s.
2022 4090s
2024 5090s
2026 6090s
2028 7090s (PS6 release) subtract 1 gen and you'll have consoles at 6090s for GPUs.

Last edited:

Loomy

We also examine Mark Cerny's past accomplishments at Sony, and their development cycle for the PS4, PS4 Pro and PS5 to discover if it makes sense for the PS6 development cycle to be under way.
R&D for the PS6 started in earnest the day specs for the PS5 was locked.

Robb

Gold Member
I hope they make a slicker system next time. Love the DualSense, but the Ps5 is the worst looking and most clunky system they’ve ever made imo.

I’m still waiting for a Ps5 slim (or some kind of decent redesign).

Last edited:

OuterLimits

We don’t even have PS5-only games. How will Sony release a Pro?

Plus, inflation makes a Pro system this gen seem extremely unlikely anyway. PS5 is already $500+. I mean, Sony just raised the price of their console in numerous countries.

a mid gen upgrade made sense last gen because the PS4 and especially Xbox One were not all that impressive even at launch.

Last edited:
To me it just looks like that fan art people used to do of how a futuristic console would/should look like. It’s very ‘I’m a gamer’ esthetic.

Looks super ugly, but that’s just my option of course. It’s also way too big, so I wouldn’t even be able to hide it.

I like it way more than the ps3 design at least

I hope they make a slicker system next time. Love the DualSense, but the Ps5 is the worst looking and most clunky system they’ve ever made imo.

I'd have to disagree and agree- I love the design. It's pretty slick to begin with and looks more futuristic than a PC tower that is the Xbox Series X. Both are very modern contemporary designs, but I'd argue the PS5 is far slicker.

The PS4 design was basically 2 PS2s taped together. Very boring, but somewhat classic. The PS3 was a barbecue grill, didn't like it. I will say the PS5 is a tad big, I was surprised they made it bigger than the PS3. I think a slimmer PS5 would look nicer I'll agree with you there, but overall the idea of the design look wise isn't terrible.

I am excited too see the PS6 design when the time comes.

ACESHIGH

Banned
That's a very low bar.

Next year in 2024 we will have 5090s which means that in 2026 when ps6 comes out [hypothetically] they will run 5090s. Consoles are always 1 gen behind on GPUs. PS5 and Series X are in the 2080 RTX range.

I do not believe a PS6 will come out in 2026. 2028 at earliest, by then PCs will be running 7090s. Which means PS6/Next Xbox is 6090s minimum.

Remember new GPUS cycle every 2 years.

2020 3090s.
2022 4090s
2024 5090s
2026 6090s
2028 7090s (PS6 release) subtract 1 gen and you'll have consoles at 6090s for GPUs.

What about costs and thermal envelope though? PC GPUs are getting more and more expensive, and top end GPUs are basically nuclear reactors. For 6090 level HW to have low power consumption and price, I think we will have to wait a lot more than the usual 5/7 year cycle. Besides, this generation has barely started and we are already 2.5 years in.

I think we either won't have next gen consoles or they will have to go with ARM.

Last edited:
When you look at what Nvidia is doing right now with DLSS 3, I can't even imagine what a PS6 will be capable of. Not to mention whatever advancements in AI will be built in.

What about costs and thermal envelope though? PC GPUs are getting more and more expensive, and top end GPUs are basically nuclear reactors. For 6090 level HW to have low power consumption and price, I think we will have to wait a lot more than the usual 5/7 year cycle. Besides, this generation has barely started and we are already 2.5 years in.

I think we either won't have next gen consoles or they will have to go with ARM.
You have to be absolutely foolish to think there won't be next-gen consoles, that just doesn't make any logical sense. It's already been practically confirmed via internet talks. With time technology gets cheaper, that's why the consoles always stay 1 generation behind the GPUs than what's out in the market because otherwise yes, it'd be way overpriced.

Nvidia is not the one that makes the GPUs for consoles and I never had any overheating problems with any of my consoles for the last decade or so and I own all of them. AMD is the one that makes the GPUs for consoles and they are always a cheaper. You also have to realize, Sony and MS order them in massive bulk which enables AMD to sell it to them at cheaper prices for production. If consoles had the latest GPUs no one would ever buy them, because they would be way overpriced and not fit the normal market. Ultra GPUs are for the PC enthusiasts and those who have extra money to spare.

Yes...that's why I said 2028 or so that will be 8 years since the PS5/Series X have been out...I never claimed the PS6 is releasing in 2026 lol, those are other people.

Last edited:

Agreed. I don’t want a bold statement for a console or any tech for that matter.

Top Bottom