• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Project Beast (From Software/Sony Japan Studio, PS4) [Port begging = ban]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, speaking of the Maiden in Black, I've always wanted to know what would happen if you "kill" her. Well I did and this is what she said:

;___; why you gotta make me feel like shit
Why would you want to kill Maiden in Black, you MONSTER.
You have the choice to kill her after you defeat the old one, and get bad ending in return

Jonboy

Rarely ever do I feel that one game can make or break E3 for me, but this just might be it. If it's not shown, I'll be pretty disappointed and will be, of course, elated if it is shown and looks like the Souls gameplay we know and love.

Orayn

Rarely ever do I feel that one game can make or break E3 for me, but this just might be it. If it's not shown, I'll be pretty disappointed and will be, of course, elated if it is shown and looks like the Souls gameplay we know and love.

At this point, I actually kind of hope it winds up being a bit different from the released Souls games. Some of the complaints about Dark Souls II are proof that treading water and making more of the same is the worst thing From can do with the series.

Holykael1

Banned
A new setting, new enemies and shaking up the combat a little bit seems to be what they are going for with the information we currently have.

BumRush

I agree...if it's shown I honestly don't care if anything else is shown.

Orayn

A new setting, new enemies and shaking up the combat a little bit seems to be what they are going for with the information we currently have.

Yeah, adding guns should shift the balance more towards ranged combat, perhaps change the way you fight groups of enemies if it includes shotguns that can hit multiple targets at once.

Would be great if they were both interesting and viable without one being considered the "real" way to play. Not a lot of games have pulled that off effectively.

Isn't it safe to assume that if it's a late 2014/early 2015 release we might get the actual title of the game @ E3?

It would seem strange to still have a tentative title for a game that could be as little as 6 to 10 months away.

I mean, how long was Dark Souls known as 'Project Dark' prior to release?

It also makes me wonder if the footage shown off to select people (hence the 'leak') might have been something from maybe last year when it was hinted to be shown @ TGS, thus the 'Project Beast' temp title.

Yeah, a lot of people seem bummed that (if true) this was leaked ahead of the show, but imagine if what we see is 9 or so more months further along in development than the leak and even more amazing looking? :)

edit: corrected; thanks Krusenstern!

sublimit

Banned
Yep, Latria and (to some degree) VoD are the only places that doesn't feel generic to me. Everything else is covered in dull grey and brown.

Dark Souls did a much better job capturing the essence of a dark fantasy world.

I don't know about that...
1)The Nexus has much more "character" and atmosphere for me than either Firelink or Majula.
2)Boletaria really gives me the feeling of being inside a real,huge,oppresive dark fantasy medieval castle more than anything in Dark Souls (1 or 2).
3)Tower of Latria is also much better than The Duke's Archives (although i love that area too).
4)Shrine of Storms is also fantastic and unique and at times (thanks to the color palette and giant Storm Beasts flying in the skies) it gives me vibes from Shadow of the Colossus.Definitely one of my favourite areas in any game.
5)Valley of Defilement is as good as Blighttown or The Gutter (although much more brutal than the later).

And the only area that felt a bit generic in Demon's is Stonefang but i could also say the same for Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith.

However i agree that both Dark1 and Dark 2 brought a lot more variety in the settings something that i enjoyed a lot although it didn't always had the best results in terms of overall atmosphere (especially in DS2's case).

I don't know about that...
1)The Nexus has much more "character" and atmosphere for me than either Firelink or Majula.
2)Boletaria really gives me the feeling of being inside a real,huge,oppresive dark fantasy medieval castle more than anything in Dark Souls (1 or 2).
3)Tower of Latria is also much better than The Duke's Archives (although i love that area too).
4)Shrine of Storms is also fantastic and unique and at times (thanks to the color palette and giant Storm Beasts flying in the skies) it gives me vibes from Shadow of the Colossus.Definitely one of my favourite areas in any game.
5)Valley of Defilement is as good as Blighttown or The Gutter (although much more brutal than the later).

And the only area that felt a bit generic in Demon's is Stonefang but i could also say the same for Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith.

However i agree that both Dark1 and Dark 2 brought a lot more variety in the settings something that i enjoyed a lot although it didn't always had the best results in terms of overall atmosphere (especially in DS2's case).

I actually liked the design of Stonefang.
All of the mining, the deep descent down to that shithead Flamelurker, the subterranean worms and insects, etc.
Demon's Souls was just phenomenal all around when it came to location designs/atmosphere.

I actually liked the design of Stonefang.
All of the mining, the deep descent down to that shithead Flamelurker, the subterranean worms and insects, etc.
Demon's Souls was just phenomenal all around when it came to location designs/atmosphere.

I think this is why I liked it much better than Dark Souls 1 or 2. I also think how it's segmented in where you can go is the best way to play the game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Anyone who calls Boletaria generic is no friend of mine:
Boletaria.jpg

Demons_Souls_Nexus.jpg

Yeah, adding guns should shift the balance more towards ranged combat
Shift.... more? Implying that it's not already the case? ;)

I'm pretty sure Boletaria is just world 1. I'm not exactly sure where the Nexus is other than it being above the Old one:

tumblr_ly0kwafzJl1qcjglso5_1280.jpg

Cool little detail: at the end, after killing False King Allant, the giant sword in the Nexus drops straight below. We know that the nexus is above the Old one and when you get to the bottom you see:

4.jpg

a lot of swords. Shows this is not the first time this has happened and won't be the last.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't hate her but I don't get the fanboy love for her. She's kind of annoying by repeating that line every time you level up. :p At least the Herald's lines can be skipped.

I'm pretty sure Boletaria is just world 1. I'm not exactly sure where the Nexus is other than it being above the Old one:

Cool little detail: at the end, after killing False King Allant, the giant sword in the Nexus drops straight below. We know that the nexus is above the Old one and when you get to the bottom you see:

4.jpg

a lot of swords. Shows this is not the first time this has happened and won't be the last.

That is cool. I never noticed that before, thank you!

sublimit

Banned
I don't hate her but I don't get the fanboy love for her. She's kind of annoying by repeating that line every time you level up. :p At least the Herald's lines can be skipped.

I found The Maiden's lines much more interesting than those of the Herald's.Her voice was also much better and really added to the unique and otherwordly feel about her.

The Herald on the other hand sounded way too American and her lines got boring very fast.

I found The Maiden's lines much more interesting than those of the Herald's.Her voice was also much better and really added to the unique and otherwordly feel about her.

The Herald on the other hand sounded way too American and her lines got boring very fast.

The Herald overall felt like a cheap imitation of the MiB for me, unfortunately. "See look it's like Demon's Souls!"

She says "I'm sorry" when you kill her......I can't hate her if I wanted too.

Seriously though, I really liked how caring she was or at least it felt that way.

this is madness

That someone disagreed with the mob mentality? Not really.

I actually kinda agree with him in fact. Demon's art direction and tone (disclaimer: I think that game is amazing) always struck me as just dark, more like horror. The more fantastical and unbelievable elements that would seem out of place in Demon's like giant dogs with swords, thunderbolt chucking deities, misty sunlit forests and (more) big dragons made Dark Souls feel more like a proper blend of "dark fantasy".

Vlade

She says "I'm sorry" when you kill her......I can't hate her if I wanted too.

Seriously though, I really liked how caring she was or at least it felt that way.
I love her, but I've always
killed her instead of walking away at the ending. The cutscene ending for that is just irresistible.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I love her, but
I've always killed her instead of walking away at the ending. The cutscene ending for that is just irresistible.
I agree, I love how your character just ruthlessly steps on her dead body. Not over it, but on it. Zero fucks given, hahaha.

Besides, Red Eye Stone > Beast Demon Soul.

Vlade

I agree, I love how your character just ruthlessly steps on her dead body. Not over it, but on it. Zero fucks given, hahaha.

Besides, Red Eye Stone > Beast Demon Soul.

spoilered mine in case that was too much; but yep, exactly. feels dramatic after going through the whole game.

Drencrom

4.jpg

I really don't believe or think that the repeated cycle theory is genuine here. The lore states that the world was only once victim to the Old One and that the monumentals emerged under that period and they used the soul arts to return the Old One to slumber and afterwards constructed the nexus and the archstones above the Old One to keep it from being awoken again and help the world rebuild after the era (one half of the human race died). It was only after many generations later King Allant awoke it which then resulted in the events in Demon's Souls. I personally don't like the idea that it goes in a cycle at all, like it does in Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, I feel it's just a lame story aspect so that further sequels are just explained as another cycle which is ultimately just linking the fire once again.

That's one of the reasons I really think Demon's Souls should be standalone storywise, because it's already a complete story and arc in that universe. The only way I could see it if they made a sequel to Demon's Souls is if they continued on the good ending and that there's no more soul arts because the Old One is still in slumber and the world has developed further (shotguns etc) and there's another threat.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If you walk around the level you can see many more swords, mostly on the beach iirc.

You demon!
It's funny, I usually play a mostly good guy, try my best not to harm NPCs, etc. I even refused to go on a murder spree in Dark Souls 2 before going to NG+. But damn if I don't prefer that DeS ending over the other. >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom