• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: PS4 Recording Feature Not Limited to 15 Minutes, Local saving, PSN upload

farisr

Thought this deserved a thread, it seems believable to me, but posting it as Rumor.

Posted in the comments section of this Article

Dagson/YesThisIsDagson said:
It's actually NOT capped at 15 minutes. The 15 minute thing is that before you even hit record, the PS4 keeps the last 15 minutes of gameplay recorded incase you do something unexpected, rather than wishing you had been recording and trying to recapture it. While actively recording/streaming, you're virtually unlimited.

Also, the retail PS4s we have here at work, we're able to capture footage from them using the same devices we've been using on the 360, PS3, Wii, and WiiU.

When asked where he worked:

Dagson/YesThisIsDagson said:
Definitely not at liberty to say, sorry... but we are a studio with two unannounced multi-platform next gen titles in development.

Also the PS4 allows you to upload the videos to your PSN profile, or save them to the harddrive where they can be exported and brought into something like Premiere or Final Cut. You aren't limited to the included editing software or anything.

Aw damn I didn't realize I hadn't gotten the Burner key for the Dagson screename... ugh.

jschreier asked him to contact him, so if he gets verified then we're probably going to see an article from kotaku, and a mod can remove rumor from the title.

Didn't mention anything about the possibility of no HDCP in the title since we don't know what kind of equipment that studio is using. Could very well be something that bypasses HDCP.

The big confirmation here is the capture card working with the PS4 which most people are wondering since X1 was only confirmed.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Wait.

If the regular way to capture footage works for them, is the reason for why the recent Blacklight Tango stream didn't use direct capture was because they used a very early development kit instead of the alleged retail kit?

Gorillaz

I agree with the above if they are saying Capture Cards will work and possibly not have to bypass like you did with the ps3 then that is the bigger news.

I'd hope this was the case

I am really hoping for even more:

I want an eco-system where we as a community can upload to a central hub, and where the community can view and organize videos based on the type of clips they are, etc.

I really hope Sony fleshes out community aspects like that.

Cartman86

Banned
Expect all of that other than the post unlimited file to PSN. I'll be amazed if that happens. Streaming a long time and posting the link to that archive makes sense.

Guymelef

The big confirmation here is the capture card working with the PS4 which most people are wondering since X1 was only confirmed.

But tbey say that capture same way as PS3.
PS3 debug firmwares disable HDCP, and i don't think their consoles have retail final version firmwares.

Btw: Evolution mentioned weeks ago that in bis consoles the can record locally.

farisr

There are capture cards that bypass HDCP. If they're a studio, they may very well have one of those. The guy didn't say anything about the details of the capture card that they use in the studio, not enough information from what he's revealed to ascertain whether the ps4 has hdcp or not.

I can capture the ps3 through HDMI using my capture card as well, but the equipment I use to show it on my TV and send the signal to the card at the same time ends up bypassing the HDCP. Doesn't mean PS3 all of a sudden is HDCP-free.

androvsky

But tbey say that capture same way as PS3.
PS3 debug firmwares disable HDCP, and i don't think their consoles have retail final version firmwares.

Yeah, that's right, the PS3 always has HDCP on iirc, so if they're doing the same thing they either have a debug PS4 or an HDCP stripper.

so wait wait wait.... i can record with press of button anytime i want? or this talking about continuous of 15 minute clips.. like a scene?

im not understanding sorry, so may i ask, is saying we can completely manual record whenever?

Paches

so wait wait wait.... i can record with press of button anytime i want? or this talking about continuous of 15 minute clips.. like a scene?

im not understanding sorry, so may i ask, is saying we can completely manual record whenever?

I *think* what it means is it will always record your last 15 minutes of play in case something cool happens, BUT you can record as long as you wish manually.

FranXico

I wonder if uploading videos to your PSN account is behind paywall.

Would be a shame. But according to the same source, we should be able to copy the video to the PC and just upload to YouTube there.

Unless we can upload straight to YouTube from the PS4 (no valid reason not to).

farisr

Indeed they mentioned local recording (but they didn't say that they were using retail consoles, and didn't mention the length either).

But yeah, the local recording thing got corroborated twice over now.

Also, the retail PS4s we have here at work, we're able to capture footage from them using the same devices we've been using on the 360, PS3, Wii, and WiiU.

what does that even mean?

without additional hardware to defeat/bypass HDCP, PS3 only lets you cap via Component and PS4 doesn't have Component...

Guymelef

Would be a shame. But according to the same source, we should be able to copy the video to the PC and just upload to YouTube there.

"Unless we can upload straight to YouTube from the PS4 (no valid reason not to).
You can.

If that unlimited video recording is true i think that videos uploaded to PSN would be limited in time.
Not for Youtube.

Raymo

Unless we can upload straight to YouTube from the PS4 (no valid reason not to).

That is my question. There is plenty of ways to record the footage and save or upload it to make it useful. But if you are using sony's servers to store it on your profile than I can see that being a ps+ bonus since it's actually costing them something on their end. Everything else could still remain in front of paywall.

farisr

what does that even mean?

It means they are using the same capture devices they have been using current gen, and either they have a debug ps3 console, or their device/setup bypasses HDCP.

Since it's ambiguous and their setup is unknown, I left the HDCP bit out of the title.

Prologue

For some reason, I really can't video recording being the next big thing for the new consoles. It'll be cool to upload a video or two but thats it for me. I definitely welcome it though and I'm sure many people love this new feature.

Josh378

Or even better...

"How the fuck do I make that jump"

"Here, I'll do it for you"

PS4 prompts: "FRIEND wants to control your system. Allow? Yes/No"

:)

LOL, I would pick "No" and do it myself. That takes the fun out of things when you let someone else do it. I rather prefer the video watching option instead.

Why are we giving credibility to random posts on Kotaku articles?

This "Also, the retail PS4s we have here at work, we're able to capture footage from them using the same devices we've been using on the 360, PS3, Wii, and WiiU."

makes it sound bogus.

When is Sony one-upping Microsoft and confirming 1080p60 or 1080p30 recording/streaming resolution?

Not happening, and 1080p30 is unlikely too.

Top Bottom