• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PSASBR leaks lead to recent SCEA PR firing [Up: Fabricated report. Not true.]

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
UPDATE: It has come to our attention that the entire report was likely fabricated and is entirely inaccurate. It should also be noted that user Afro Gunsou is not animation voice actor Jerry Jewell, despite him claiming otherwise. See here.

Update:

I got a PM from someone who works for Superbot who will remain unnamed. He says the source's claims are false.

Our favorite Sony Ex-PR guy said "no truth to any of that, to my knowledge." on Twitter.

Since people are discussing this in the main PSASBR thread, it probably deserves its own post here. The following is from Afro Gunsou, who was given permission from his source to share this story.

I do frequent voice work with many of the teams at Sony and two of my good friends were part of the layoff, hence how I know about any of this.

It's a sad situation that was never really explained publicly but it's important to consider when you look at the current state of PSASBR pre-launch hype.

Long story short, Superbot and SCEA signed agreements with each of the third parties providing characters for All Stars (specifically Raiden and Dante) that their characters would be revealed "to best accommodate the needs" of the character's developers.

Dante and Raiden were each supposed to get character reveals trailers akin to the Sonic in Smash Bros trailer; the trailer would act as both hype for a new All Star and hype for their upcoming game (Revegance). These were gentleman's agreements. Once the leak happened, Superbot and SCEA went into panic mode and realized that the majority of their work on the title was just given an early blow-out, potentially killing any sort of carefully timed pre-launch hype.

In order to continue hype, SCEA's marketing team contacted Paul Gale, who first revealed the game on his blog as "Title Fight". Realizing that he could be used as a scapegoat for false advertising, they bribed him (though the extent of which is something I do not know the specifics of) and told him to quote "go nuts".

Realizing a potential destruction of his reputation if done incorrectly, Gale carefully timed out "leaks" and "teases" and purposely laced them with vague and false information in order to pump the fan base up for release.

Flashforward to about three weeks ago, SCEJ catches wind of Platinum's video interview where they openly bash the title, the way it's being handled (since they never got a full reveal akin to what Superbot and SCEA promised for Raiden) and do nothing to quiet or combat Kamiya's Twitter statement that the game is "a Smash Bros. rip-off".

SCEJ then sent an executive decision SCEA's way to make "necessary re-arrangements" of the marketing and PR team in North America and directly urged Superbot to begin development on downloadable content that lines up with the fake leaks in order to keep good will with their early consumers who are obviously informed of leaks and rumors long before release.

While the Sony PR firings had a lot to do with the way the holiday line-up was presented at TGS, the PSASBR issues acted as a major catalyst to the decision.

It's worth nothing that all but three of the SCEA PR and marketing staff originally assigned to PS All Stars is still working on the project. The others were either fired during the post-TGS lay-offs or were assigned to new projects.

Noi

Shitty situation all around. Though the decisions taken by the PR team certainly didn't help.

Mr. Fix

Really surprising stuff.

SCEJ then sent an executive decision SCEA's way to make "necessary re-arrangements" of the marketing and PR team in North America and directly urged Superbot to begin development on downloadable content that lines up with the fake leaks in order to keep good will with their early consumers who are obviously informed of leaks and rumors long before release.

So Paul Gale was/is a liar. Though this seems to imply that some of the falsely "hinted" characters might actually make it in due to the whole charade. Crash, Snake and Cloud, anyone? Who knows.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
While the Sony PR firings had a lot to do with the way the holiday line-up was presented at TGS, the PSASBR issues acted as a major catalyst to the decision.
This part makes no sense to me.

Why would you fire your North American PR department over how your games showed at a dilapidated Japanese trade show?

Raonak

Banned
Still blows my mind that they left all the unannounced characters information in the beta.

It had happened to capcom months before, so i don't see how they didn't anticipate the exact same thing happening to them.

Really surprising stuff.

So Paul Gale was/is a liar. Though this seems to imply that some of the falsely "hinted" characters might actually make it in due to the whole charade. Crash, Snake and Cloud, anyone? Who knows.

Wait, so Paul Gale is making stuff up, and SB isn't intending on making the DLC relating to his hints? Or is the DLC coming, and Gale is hinting at it?

LuchaShaq

Banned
Honestly at times it seems like Sony is ran by incessant Sony reverse fanboys who are intent to make them look as foolish and insane at every turn.

Paul Gale is a liar and they fed information to him because he is a known liar and makes a convenient scapegoat.

In a way, that's kind of funny and clever. And in another way, why the fuck would they do that?!

Boss Man

The good news is that we may actually get Crash and Cloud in the game now.

Oh, and also that SCEA has some new marketing people.

I feel sorry for SuperBot.

It'd be a real shame if KojiPro/PG refused to do business with them in the future, especially since it'd mean the exclusion of a certain oft-requested Konami character.

Mr. Fix

Why would you fire your North American PR department over how your games showed at a dilapidated Japanese trade show?

Are you referring to TGS? I think it was actually due to how SCEA handled Dante/Raiden's reveal despite what they agreed on, and the backlash from the Japanese devs. I agree though, it does seem pretty damn harsh.

Drago

Truly unbelievable.

Oh well, at least we'll be getting some good characters as DLC I guess. This whole issue seems so surreal...

Also, poor SuperBot... hope that nothing bad happens to them after his whole mess

fPFDh.gif

Murrah

Banned
This is insane. Paul Gale's shitty "hints" (I use that word in the loosest way possible) really rubbed me the wrong way to the point where I stopped paying attention to internet hype for the game, and it looks like I was completely justified. Wonder if he'll even respond to this

plainr_

Wow.

Getting fired because of involvement with Paul Gale.

What a terrible way to go.

The firings had to do with the roster leak from the beta not the Title Fight leak that Paul Gale revealed last year. PlatinumGames and Koji pro wanted a special reveal for Raiden. SuperBot blew it by not screening the beta files for potential leaks before release.

Darknight

Geek

Ninny Prancer
None of this makes any sense.

Sony's going to close down an entire PR office and lay off people who have worked for the company for more than a decade because some characters got leaked outside the marketing cycle?

The firings had to do with the roster leak from the beta not the Title Fight leak that Paul Gale revealed last year. PG and Koji pro wanted a special reveal for Raiden. SuperBot blew it by not screening the beta files for potential leaks before release.

This is definitely the short and sweet version of it.

iammeiam

Did they fire marketing people? Or just PR? Or is PR considered a subset of marketing?

Like, the article says the "marketing" team did the bonus leaking, but the PR people got canned. Did the laid off people do the leaking, or no?

Wow.

Getting fired because of involvement with Paul Gale.

What a terrible way to go.

Paul Gale got lots of explaining to do.

My thoughts exactly.

You guys can't read.

This and the part where SCEJ was 'catching wind' from Platinum and Kamiya's opinions?
So they order SCEA to fix it? How does that work and why?
Don't get it either.

Enjay

Banned
This is insane. Paul Gale's shitty "hints" (I use that word in the loosest way possible) really rubbed me the wrong way to the point where I stopped paying attention to internet hype for the game, and it looks like I was completely justified. Wonder if he'll even respond to this
Same here. Him and Mink got old quick for me.

Still blows my mind that they left all the unannounced characters information in the beta.

It had happened to capcom months before, so i don't see how they didn't anticipate the exact same thing happening to them.

Capcom's leaks were due to an irresponsible employee sending character art through Twitter, unlike SuperBot hiding the data for every character, stage and mode in the Beta. I think they just underestimated the hacking/datamining prowess of their fans.

Top Bottom