• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Rainbow 6 Patriots has been redesigned from the ground up three times

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's safer to say that after all this, people will be laid off.

Danny 117

Jesus christ.

Just make another Rainbow Six game... none of this choice shit.

It would be much better financially for Ubisoft than the current 'strategy'

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
A number of people were already seemingly fired so I think we're past that stage.

But weren't those the creative directors or something?

I mean like dozens of people losing their jobs because, damn, there's no way this game is going to do profit.

Kinyou

Any idea how often Ghost recon future soldier was redesigned? I have the feeling that these two games are going through a similar development hell

I understand that things come up organically throughout the creative process but that strikes me as pretty ridiculous for a moderately successful franchise.

What are they thinking?!

lol I'm still really looking forward to it. I don't ever want to hear anyone talking about Kickstarters not coming through when this, Watchdogs and so many other AAA games are in such dev hell. Shit happens to everyone, big and small.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But weren't those the creative directors or something?

I mean like dozens of people losing their jobs because, damn, there's no way this game is going to do profit.

Ubisoft can re-use them on other projects pretty easily though.

I mean this is Ubisoft Montreal they're already thousands of staff that get shifted around.

Zapages

wow it looks like Ubi has lost its ways with their other franchises… Ie. Prince of Persia series with 2008 sequel/Osiris/reboot… Three times the game was remade from the ground up before being shelved… We'll see what happens.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
wow it looks like Ubi has lost its ways with their other franchises… Ie. Prince of Persia series with 2008 sequel/Osiris/reboot… Three times the game was remade from the ground up before being shelved… We'll see what happens.

This is pretty much the standard for Ubisoft on something they're not currently successful with.

Red Steel 2 got rebooted.

Splinter Cell did as well.

Driver: San Fransisco went through protracted turmoil.

Ghost Recon also rather publicly changed directions.

game is going to be garbage like future soldier was.
There was a great game in Future Soldier, you just had to play it two player co-op and imagine that the game wasn't broken in several ways.

I don't know what to think of this news, as it may be a mercy if we knew what those three ideas had been.

Sounds like a winner, "third time's a charm"... right?! They probably had all these crazy gameplay elements that they can't figure out how to make a cohesive game around. Typical UBIsoft games...

I bet they've seen all the military fps' that have come out and failed over the years (home front, medal of Honor) and poor sales of Tom clancey games (splinter cell and ghost recon)although r6 is more tactical (less so each iteration) they still are appealing to a lot of the same market that call of duty and battlefield cover and I don't think ubisoft is in the market of making games that aren't potential huge hits so what do they do?

Jesus Christ, should have just continued with Rainbow 6 Vegas: New York and reinvented it later.

Rainbow 6 Vegas 1 had the FPS market on consoles, COD4 released R6 retaliates with Vegas 2 which took some good pointersfrom COD and just disappeared afterwards.

Vegas 2 released 6 years ago... damn...

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Ubisoft can re-use them on other projects pretty easily though.

I mean this is Ubisoft Montreal they're already thousands of staff that get shifted around.

Oh yeah, you're right. "Off to the next Watch Dogs/Assassin's Creed you go!". This is most likely a leadership problem.

IV Wolfe VI

Neo Member
Being a big fan of the rainbow series before it got retarded ie lockdown, Vegas. I loved rainbow six and black arrow and would love to see that make a comeback.

Ominym

Banned
I really hope we get something out of it at some point. I'd hate to see this be the death of the franchise.

Jesus Christ should have just continued with Rainbow 6 Vegas: New York and reinvented it later.

Rainbow 6 Vegas 1 had the FPS market on consoles, COD4 released R6 retaliates with Vegas 2 which took some good pointersfrom COD and just disappeared afterwards.

Wasn't aware that Jesus Christ was a game developer. The more you know.

injurai

Banned
Does this have to do with the Clancy legacy or something?

I understand certain games where companies don't want to hurt the legacy. But why not just release each of these incantations and try again with a subsequent title or new IP?

Ominym

Banned
Does this have to do with the Clancy legacy or something?

I understand certain games where companies don't want to hurt the legacy. But why not just release each of these incantations and try again with a subsequent title or new IP?

If I remember correctly, Ubisoft owns Tom Clancy's name for games. So the "legacy" is whatever they want it to be.

mtodavk

lol I'm still really looking forward to it. I don't ever want to hear anyone talking about Kickstarters not coming through when this, Watchdogs and so many other AAA games are in such dev hell. Shit happens to everyone, big and small.

The difference there is that the publisher is paying for the game to be in dev hell, but with kickstarters, the community pays for it...apples and oranges if you ask me.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Ubisoft seem to be a company that are always trying to find a 'magic formula' that makes their games sell millions. It's lead to the collectathon shit that passes for a lot of their franchises now but they don't seem to want to take any big risks either with their big franchises.

I just want an old style Ghost Recon game :( But I guess that dream is dead.

How do you screw up Rainbow Six 3 times?

I mean, how hard can it be to slap some set pieces and cinematic gameplay on that joint? Sprinkle some collectables in there with a sick RPG upgrade system. Maybe a dash of Mark & Execute for some flavor. C'mon Ubi, stick to the recipe.

GamerJM

Banned
How long ago did this get announced? It doesn't even feel like it's been long enough for them to have enough time to reboot it thrice.

Top Bottom