• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Rare is working on two new games

UraMallas

Mattrick era Rare also consisted of Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. Don't forget about that. :p

Eeehh. I don't know. I think both were probably too far along in development by the time really got his feet under him as head of Xbox to be cancelled. You can tell what he thought of those titles by budget-pricing them at $40.00 at release.

Ushay

Gamescom, friend.

Nha, the more surprises they can save for next E3 the better. If I were MS I would gather as much hype as possible with the Scorpio unveiling, that equates to top quality titles like Banjo (assumption of course). I did find it telling how MS had all 2016 titles there were previously announced this year, nothing for late 2017 at all.

Salty Hippo

Eeehh. I don't know. I think both were probably too far along in development by the time really got his feet under him as head of Xbox to be cancelled. You can tell what he thought of those titles by budget-pricing them at $40.00 at release.

Don't forget the shitty marketing campaigns for those games. Almost all of the money was allocated to Gears 2 which would have sold gangbusters anyway.

N&B and TiP were greenlit by Peter Moore no doubt.

daTRUballin

True, they were probably greenlit before Mattrick was in the picture. But the reason why they were priced at $40 was so that the games would sell better, but they still didn't. These games were supposed to help bring in the casual/family crowd to the 360. I doubt it was because Mattrick thought these games were "inferior" or whatever.

Don't forget the shitty marketing campaigns for those games. Almost all of the money was allocated to Gears 2 which would have sold gangbusters anyway.

I agree with you that those games had a shitty marketing campaign (all of Rare's Xbox games had terrible marketing anyway), but do you really think Peter Moore would've given their games more attention than Mattrick if he was still there?

UraMallas

True, they were probably greenlit before Mattrick was in the picture. But the reason why they were priced at $40 was so that the games would sell better, but they still didn't. These games were supposed to help bring in the casual/family crowd to the 360. I doubt it was because Mattrick thought these games were "inferior" or whatever.

I'm of the opinion they would have sold better had they not been set up for failure (which was part of my point with the $40.00 comment) but that's pretty hard to prove so I'll leave it at that.

I agree with you that those games had a shitty marketing campaign (all of Rare's Xbox games had terrible marketing anyway), but do you really think Peter Moore would've given their games more attention than Mattrick if he was still there?

I sure do. He was supportive of Rare, from all I've ever read.

Timu

It must be done

xbXh62O.png

If this is too Nuts and Bolts for some people, then consider me a friggin' petrolhead
Ha, ha, that pic, love for a new PD game.

daTRUballin

I sure do. He was supportive of Rare, from all I've ever read.

Rare wasn't doing much better under Moore's leadership either. In fact, one could argue they did financially better under Mattrick since he actually had them make successful Kinect games. It sounds a bit wierd to say, but I'd argue that Mattrick could very well have saved Rare from closing years ago.

In fact, I remember reading that Microsoft was getting ready to close Rare back in early 2009 after the failure of both TiP and N&B, but they actually decided to spare them and have them work on Kinect games. Say whatever you want about Mattrick, but he made Rare successful again. They could've stopped existing years ago otherwise.

UraMallas

Rare wasn't doing much better under Moore's leadership either. In fact, one could argue they did financially better under Mattrick since he actually had them make successful Kinect games. It sounds a bit wierd to say, but I'd argue that Mattrick could very well have saved Rare from closing years ago.

In fact, I remember reading that Microsoft was getting ready to close Rare back in early 2009 after the failure of both TiP and N&B, but they actually decided to spare them and have them work on Kinect games. Say whatever you want about Mattrick, but he made Rare successful again. They could've stopped existing years ago otherwise.

Lots of hearsay and speculation in that so I'll go right along with it and say that they were set up to fail by Mattrick's leadership until he could push his baby (Kinect) onto them. Not maliciously or in a conspiracy, but it did come to that.

yooka_laylee.0.0-600x338.jpg

Of course its happening man :D! Coming Early 2017 from Playtonic Games :)

I know you mean a real Banjo 3 but this is likely the closest we are getting to that in everything but name.

Actually, it would be nice to see Playtonic take on Banjo with Rare assistance after they are done. I can see it happening. The guys at Playtonic and Rare are still close.

Since everyone and their evil cats know the first of those two games is Battletoads and I'm actually disappointed in them saving it for Gamescom and not at E3.

The rumor should actually be about the second IP. How close are we to a Conker, PD or a Banjo sequel? Which one do you fellas think has more chance to get into development? Personally I believe Conker for now (PD later) as Scorpio evolves over time until it's launch/goes into production by mid next year. They wanna push VR+AR in the forefront and maximize on both the markets.

KingBroly

Banned
Since everyone and their evil cats know the first of those two games is Battletoads and I'm actually disappointed in them saving it for Gamescom and not at E3.

The rumor should actually be about the second IP. How close are we to a Conker, PD or a Banjo sequel? Which one do you fellas think has more chance to get into development? Personally I believe Conker for now (PD later) as Scorpio evolves over time until it's launch/goes into production by mid next year. They wanna push VR+AR in the forefront and maximize on both the markets.

I think Conker better fits the Xbox base, to be honest. It's more adult oriented than Banjo and not just another shooter like Halo or Gears.

SOR5

Mattrick era Rare also consisted of Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. Don't forget about that. :p

Ah I get what you mean but those games were really too far down the pipeline to cancel by then. But I don't know, maybe they needed that financial success.

Interestingly enough, Phil Spencer was the one in charge of the European Microsoft Studios at the time N&B and TiP would have been greenlit. This was before he became the head of all MS Studios.

Shiggy

I am actually sure that one of the games is a new Banjo game lots of people asked for. The one set in an urban city.

1922960_orig.jpg

Bioshocker

I've realised Sea of Thieves is probably not for me, so I'm hoping for whatever other games Rare is working on. I'd go for a new Banjo or Conker, but I'm also be interested in a completely new third person adventure. A new IP.

Or why not a kart racer with Xbox characters? I've been wanting that for a long time now.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Can I just get Banjo-Kazooie HD for a decent price without buying all of Rare Replay? That would be nice.

I would be shocked if Battletoads isn't one of them. MS has been playing them up so hard.

SOR5

Can I just get Banjo-Kazooie HD for a decent price without buying all of Rare Replay? That would be nice.

I would be shocked if Battletoads isn't one of them. MS has been playing them up so hard.

I'm sure you can go to Xbox.com and buy BK HD and it'll appear on your ready to install list, at least I think so

Salty Hippo

Honestly who even wants it at this point? We have Yooka Laylee from the original devs now.

Will this bullshit ever end?

Gregg Mayles is the real creative mind behind the Banjo games and he's still at Rare so yeah, people want a new Banjo.

Yooka-Laylee looks great, will scratch an itch and is likely the closest thing from Banjo-Threeie we'll ever get, but it's not the same.

UraMallas

Nothing is stopping you. It's $10 and BC on One. Rare Replay is $30 and I've seen it go on sale, though, so...

BKSmash

Honestly who even wants it at this point? We have Yooka Laylee from the original devs now.

Seriously? For me a new Banjo game would make me forget all about Yooka Laylee, it's really not the same thing.

edit: The dude below me is onto something.

Zereta

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts is the pre-order bonus for Recore.

Coincidence? ;)

Also, wasn't it rumored that Battletoads was going to be revealed at E3? I seem to remember seeing that here along with a couple of other rumors that ended up being true.

Banjo 4 and Battletoads? My oh my.

SOR5

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts is the pre-order bonus for Recore.

Coincidence? ;)

Also, wasn't it rumored that Battletoads was going to be revealed at E3? I seem to remember seeing that here along with a couple of other rumors that ended up being true.

Banjo 4 and Battletoads? My oh my.

I'm way too sure Battletoads is one of them, there's been far too much pointing towards it now

They have to make Banjo 3 at some point to appease the fans, even if they outsource it.

Surely they could make it for 5 - 10 million or so and see a return on it.

HykCraft

Neo Member
There's a difference between a game being cancelled, and a project that's not even passed the green light

You do realize that all their cancelled projects passed the GREEN LIGHT, because they were working on them with approval from MS, and then were canned at a later time. They've done this multiple of times -- it's out there.

There's a difference between a project, and an idea that gets pitched to MS that gets shut down.

Zereta

I'm way too sure Battletoads is one of them, there's been far too much pointing towards it now

I think my only concern is: what would a Battletoads in 2016 look like. I'm not sure the arcade brawler as it is works now.

Worth a shot though. Xbox's first party output right now is super diverse. Battletoads would a tad more diversity.

Will this bullshit ever end?

Gregg Mayles is the real creative mind behind the Banjo games and he's still at Rare so yeah, people want a new Banjo.

Yooka-Laylee looks great, will scratch an itch and is likely the closest thing from Banjo-Threeie we'll ever get, but it's not the same.

Gregg Mayles did not create the Banjo games by himself, nowhere even near. He was the project lead, but I'd choose Playtonic's 'majority of the original Banjo team' over Rare's 'Gregg Mayles plus a bunch of people who weren't even working for Rare during the N64 era' any day.

daTRUballin

Why does everyone want Battletoads, Has everyone forgot how shit it was?

Shit or not shit, we're getting it anyway. That's why everybody's talking about it.

And if the game really was "shit" back in the day, there's no reason why a new game in 2016 couldn't improve upon the original.

Gregg Mayles did not create the Banjo games by himself, nowhere even near. He was the project lead, but I'd choose Playtonic's 'majority of the original Banjo team' over Rare's 'Gregg Mayles plus a bunch of people who weren't even working for Rare during the N64 era' any day.

You do realize there's more than just Gregg Mayles left at Rare, right?

SOR5

Shit or not shit, we're getting it anyway. That's why everybody's talking about it.

And if the game really was "shit" back in the day, there's no reason why a new game in 2016 couldn't improve upon the original.

You do realize there's more than just Gregg Mayles left at Rare, right?

I have to say I vastly vastly prefer KI 2013 to both KI and KI Gold

Can see the exact same thing for Battletoads

Eh, I'll believe it when I see it. Hope they do have new projects in the works though, because Sea of Thieves really isn't doing anything for me. :/

Top Bottom