• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is the next PC port being made by Nixxes

DrFigs

I know but the PS5's SSD is incredibly fast so it's pretty unlikely we'll ever see it put to full use. I meant that it was claimed that this game isn't possible on an HDD (and I may have heard SATA SSD but not sure).
well they keep making these cross gen and pc games, so it's unlikely we'll ever see the ps5 put to full use.

Gamerguy84

Very pretty impressive game. Many compared to older Pixar movies.

It was a tech demo though for graphics and IO system of the PS5.

TBF it did load levels very fast but I think other games do it faster now. Which is one thing I've been spoiled by. No more load times.

Edder1

The tech demo was downgraded from 8K to 4K textures in order for it to run on PC.
That tech demo was never released for PC, as for other demos then it makes no sense since streaming in UE5 can be done on a slow SATA SSD. It's just marketing BS by Epic and Tim Sweeny.

VN1X

Banned
I dont know what the typical speed of a PC gamer's SSD is, but fear not PC gamers.

When DF did their test using a 3.2gb/s compatible SSD installed in a PS5, the game worked fine. So you dont need a 5.5gb/s SSD.

Heck, even if you got an old SSD at 1 or 2gb/s it might be fine too. But 3.2gb/s is a benchmark stat that is proven to work well.
Mine goes up to Read 6560 MB/s and Write 6669 MB/s speed so I should be good.
kmxzkgzuhkaz.png

The goal posts have shifted to "it'll work on a HDD" to "at the very least it'll work on a SATA SSD". It is important to note that Insomniac themselves stated that they weren't fully saturating the PS5's SSD bandwidth with this game.

Banned
I really hope this is true, because it would be so interesting to examine simply from a tech perspective.
finally the ability to run it on an HDD for example

AndrewRyan

This will be my fifth double-dip title with more waiting in the wishlist. At this point PS+ is like a demo platform.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'll be in Day 1 for this game. Hoping it will run on Steam Deck. I think Returnal has been the only Sony game so far that isn't Steam Deck verified.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This game better use Direct Storage. If not then all of that SSD talk was bullshit.
Go look online, it runs well enough but this is definitely a direct storage showcase title.

One of the best if not the best showcase for how fast asset loading/storage can impact the actual game play experience.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
It was misleading marketing.

At the time Sony promoted 5.5gb/s and Insomniac did a tweet or article saying R&C cant be done without PS5's SSD. So gamers assumed the game needs an equivalent speed SSD to work.

But turns out, Insomniac's statement was simply just using an SSD in general. 5.5 speed not mandatory. And they never clarified that. Instead they let gamers run with it until DF did their tests with slower PC SSDs and it worked fine.

The comparison was between PS4 and PS5.........

Banned
It was misleading marketing.

At the time Sony promoted 5.5gb/s and Insomniac did a tweet or article saying R&C cant be done without PS5's SSD. So gamers assumed the game needs an equivalent speed SSD to work.

But turns out, Insomniac's statement was simply just using an SSD in general. 5.5 speed not mandatory. And they never clarified that. Instead they let gamers run with it until DF did their tests with slower PC SSDs and it worked fine.

and digital foundry's tests were pretty tame.
people have since run the lowest end drives imaginable (cheap ones that don't hit their already low promised speeds) and no game made any issues.

if this comes to PC I am really looking forward to not only play it again, but also try running it on a LITERAL PS4 Pro HDD

Sanepar

For me is certain they will bring all ps5 games for pc. This year I still expect demons souls, horizon and gt7.

Bryank75 must be having an aneurysm. Poor fella... I hope his ok.

On a serious note - exclusitivity is slowly fading away and eventually Sony will release day 1 on both platforms. Otherwise they're leaving too much money on the table.
Lol, yall keep saying that, yet they dont make much money on pc at all.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It will be interesting to see how they deal with the instant loading (different gameplay or direct storage only?) and also to see how a true AAA platformer does on pc. (I'm thinking either really bad or amazing)
What was the last AAA platform game on pc?

Schmendrick

Mmm not exactly a mainstream genre in the pc realm. Imho GoT should be higher priority.
And with how big From games have become.... Where is Bloodborne?

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
i would definitely buy it day one as I was one of the first to call BS on SSD “ secret sauce “ when you can clearly see each trick used for every portal . I would gladly pay $70 for that “ told you so “ lol 😂 😂

Last edited:

Banned
love the R&C series and haven't played this one. However, I've heard it's the weakest entry since the 2016 reboot. Any truth to that?

it's a great game. play it on the highest difficulty tho if you actually want it to feel like you have to use the game's mechanics.

sadly these days developers are afraid to make people actually play their games as intended, so they relegate the version of the game where you actually have to think to the higher difficulty settings.

on the highest setting it is a really good shooter/platformer hybrid that at times will feel like Pixar's Doom lol

EN250

Do people on PC even care about Ratchet and Clank? they're just throwing games at the wall to see what sticks, I can see another Returnal case or worse :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If this get confirms and does run on even a 500mbs sata ssd then we gonna have to check in on some fans looking at mark cerny pics and his road to ps5 talk like....

Britney Spears What GIF

But they would with day1 releases, because those would profit from Sony's huge console games marketing and there are also people that don't play 'old' games.
They're not going to disrupt their software sales for consoles that gets consumers in to their PSN ecosystem, by providing the game on two different store fronts day 1, unless its F2P.

Business wise, it only makes sense for ps5 at full price, wait for a sale, or buy it on pc at 50.00$ after 2 years. Getting someone to buy the game on ps5/psn at release, is much more valuable than getting a few extra discount sales on PC, where Sony gets even less because those mtx wont be coming though PSN.

AmuroChan

If Sony actually want this game to succeed on PC, sell it for $39.99. If they try to sell this for $70, it's going to be DOA just like Sackboy.

Humdinger

Re. R&C Rift Apart -- 7/10; graphically impressive but not that great combat or story/dialog.

Last edited:

T-Cake

Oh, I really hope they do the first one as well. I had so much fun with the remade original on PS4.

Lol what the reason? Console war stoking threads?
According to Bryank75 Jim Ryan is stupid because Sony is putting out their titles on PC. He believes it drags down the value of the PS5 and only people who buy PS5 should be allowed to play these games. Meanwhile, those who spend $1000 or even more on their PCs let alone $1600 just for a GPU are scum of the industry and are ruining the gaming industry for him because they now can also play God of War. Basically mentally ill nonsense. Not a true gamer and is constantly posting mental gymnastics about who should be allowed to play and who isn't. Quite entertaining, sad and pathetic all at same time. These are just video games...who gives a shit who gets to play what, who and where and when lol.

Typical fanboy/warring type stuff. Nothing good.

I don't understand how hard it is just to enjoy the games man and be happy that others get to play great titles along with you and share same experiences. This whole "I bought a X system for $500 or whatever dollars and only I should have access to X Y Z games because I spent my hard earned money and no one else!" mentality is extremely childish.

Basically PC gamers = bad and ruining everything for everyone is what he genuinely believes. I will never understand this. None of these companies are loyal to anyone. Every corporation wants your money so they will find ways to do it

But to summon it up in TLDR - Yes console war stroking threads/posts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom