• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is the next PC port being made by Nixxes

Umbasaborne

Banned
The way sony treats their back catalogue is despicable..why not make the ps3 and ps2 games availible natively on pc and ps5 as well. Its like they only do the cheapest ports and remakes they can these days, and are scared of anything that may take a mono-come of effort, like getting ps2 and ps3 games running natively on modern hardware. This is a fine game, but its literally the safest and most boring choice they could have gone with.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The way sony treats their back catalogue is despicable..why not make the ps3 and ps2 games availible natively on pc and ps5 as well. Its like they only do the cheapest ports and remakes they can these days, and are scared of anything that may take a mono-come of effort, like getting ps2 and ps3 games running natively on modern hardware. This is a fine game, but its literally the safest and most boring choice they could have gone with.

PC support is all that matters.

Sony’s won’t bother supporting PS5 games beyond two generations.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Even a used PS4 is what, $100-150? Buying that to play one game stuck at 30fps with bad frame pacing isn't exactly an enviable solution.

That’s a PS4 game for you. 🤷🏼

Point is if it’s so important to play, it’s not some high bar to entry. People drop more money on a PC case.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
That’s a PS4 game for you. 🤷🏼

Point is if it’s so important to play, it’s not some high bar to entry. People drop more money on a case.
True. I platinum'd it and have it on PS4 so I'm not too bothered by this. Still, I'd want less games to be buried alongside dead consoles. The one thing I love about PC ports is that the games won't just die with the system after a time. Trying to play PS3 games is a bitch without an actual PS3 as even the emulator is still wonky.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
True. I platinum'd it and have it on PS4 so I'm not too bothered by this. Still, I'd want less games to be buried alongside dead consoles. The one thing I love about PC ports is that the games won't just die with the system after a time. Trying to play PS3 games is a bitch without an actual PS3 as even the emulator is still wonky.

I’m with you 100%. Sonys console BC record is very fragmented. At least we’ll be covered on PC regardless of what they decide to do with their consoles.

For what it’s worth I still have my copy of Bloodborne as well. I had the original Demons Souls back when it released on PS3, so I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything.
I still want to see Demons Souls PS5 come over and I’m sure it will. Sony’s been bringing over their games at a pretty fast clip.

Banned
Are you guys joking or serious honest question? The devs themself told DF in the interview that the game is only scratching the I/O of the PS5 and from what i understood there is a lot of performance left on the table. So what's is the idea? The dev says that but you choose to ignore that and say that the game is using the 5.5gb of the SSD? What's not clear about that? If the devs says the game is using all the performance of the ssd and runs on slower ssd or HDD then you guys would have a point but no. What's not clear ahout that? Think about it and change your argumen is not valid.

it's not about what the devs said, but many people (fanboys) said the game would be impossible on PS4 and is one of the games that shows the power of the console, a true "next gen" game.

when that's absolutely not the case. a PS4 version would be absolutely possible without much of a downgrade, and with a PC version at hand we could finally actually test that to see what exactly is going on during dimension jumps.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
it's not about what the devs said, but many people (fanboys) said the game would be impossible on PS4 and is one of the games that shows the power of the console, a true "next gen" game.

when that's absolutely not the case. a PS4 version would be absolutely possible without much of a downgrade, and with a PC version at hand we could finally actually test that to see what exactly is going on during dimension jumps.
I think the test, again we are talking about quite a lot of months of additional work (which you are discounting), will be a PC with 8 GB of RAM and 4 GB of VRAM max (keeps the Windows tax in check and is fair to how much free VRAM you would have for graphics only on PS4) and bandwidth, 8 cores Jaguar like CPU specs (or a bit more since yes you are running on Windows), and a mechanical <7000 RPM HDD and then see what the cuts are and what the performance is.

You want to talk about a PS4 target, put it in the same conditions. If you talk about 16 GB of RAM and 8+ GB of VRAM and Ryder 4 cores then we’ll, you are winning against your own strawmen and you know it…

Braag

Honestly one of the main reasons I've stuck with PC for so long is that the games I bought in Steam 15 years ago are still available and playable in my library to this day.
I know a lot of people don't care about older games after a while but for those that do, PC is great for that.

sendit

Agreed. Victory is finally in our grasp. I can smell the fear.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Agreed. Victory is finally in our grasp. I can smell the fear.
Sure unless you cheat in the PC comparison by overloading with RAM compared to PS4 and ignore almost an extra year of development (which matters… being able to get something done quicker and at a reduced cost is what good architecture jumps are for).

hemo memo

Gold Member
Sony isn't dumb.
They are. Proven over and over by dumb decisions in the past and even with the PS5 launch we witnessed bizarre decisions. “Sony” is just a collective of people that sometimes can come up and commit to a stupid idea.

This PC approach is good for PC gamers absolutely and it makes more people try your games. Is the sales on PC worth it? No. Is it devaluing your console? Yes. Is Sony plan that the PC crowd when they try a game on PC they will buy a PS5 to play the sequel rather than wait for the sequel to hit PC? Absolutely fucking not.

Does this PC approach make since for Microsoft? Yes + they have a very cheap console to buy.

Does it make since for Nintendo? No.
Does it make since for Sony? No.

So to clarify your post. Sony isn’t dumb. Yes, yes they are.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Demons souls when?...that would sell 3 to 4 times what it sold on ps5 on PC.

Can't believe they've waited this long tbh...strange business decision at Sony.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I really wish we could get the ps2 games + achievements on steam instead.

Sorta, but the Future game retcons so much shit from the PS2 games, that they might as well be bad fanfiction.
Crack in Time is better than any of the OG trilogy don't @ me

Perhaps that means they announce the next Ratchet and Clank game soon. In the past Sony is often porting games, which have a sequel coming in order to force more people to buy the console if they want to play the sequel directly.

Examples:
God of War
Horizon
Spider-Man

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The writing is really the worst thing about it. Anything coming out of Rivet's mouth makes me want to chug cyanide.
Rivet is one thing... but that fucking spider robot is cringe nightmare.
It is still all better than 2016 disney game

Sony has competition on PC. Big difference from being the big fish in the little PlayStation pond.
What do you mean competition? Explain please...you mean gaming publishers like Ea, Take2, Micrososft, Ubisoft, Sega, Capcom,Nintendo, Techland, Epic Games, SE, Tencent, Konami, Warner Bros, NetEase, Bandai and Embracer Group does not qualify as competition for Sony?

Filben

If this turns out to be true I wonder if it runs well on an ordinary SSD or even HDD and if this one developer saying the data streaming/asset switch could have been done on a PS3 turns out to be true.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
What do you mean competition? Explain please...you mean gaming publishers like Ea, Take2, Micrososft, Ubisoft, Sega, Capcom,Nintendo, Techland, Epic Games, SE, Tencent, Konami, Warner Bros, NetEase, Bandai and Embracer Group does not qualify as competition for Sony?

Competition within the platform. Sony is easily the biggest fish on PlayStation the way Nintendo is on their consoles.

On PC Sony is just another third party competing for sales. So when you point out lower sales, well yeah - totally different selling games to Sony specific customers, versus PC gamers.

Their games will have very long tails on PC though.

Last edited:
Yes but good luck playing anything on it. The PS3 emulator needs a ton of work. A functioning PS4 emulator is years away.
Thays strange considering the hardware is about to be a decade old when November hits this year..

With the internet, reddit, and the communities and all the tech how is it not properly functioning yet ?

Last edited:
Competition within the platform. Sony is easily the biggest fish on PlayStation the way Nintendo is on their consoles.

On PC Sony is just another third party competing for sales. So when you point out lower sales, well yeah - totally different selling games to Sony specific customers, versus PC gamers.

Their games will have very long tails on PC though.
Ok, and that is why Sony does not make a lot of money on PC. Pc players treat Sony like a 3rd party devs, they wait for their games to go on sale, get a discount code or just pirate it. They didnt buy PCs to only play CsGo or Valorant, where as there are people who willl buy a ps5 just for Spiderman 2.

So to see people saying Sony will ditch playstation for Pc....

Drama Love GIF by euphoria

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Well, I guess my point still stands.....Sony isnt making any real money on PC gaming.

What do you think it costs to port a game to PC in comparison to developing a game from the ground up? A few hundred thousand vs 100M+ for some of these games. Even if they sell less it’s still good ROI and the only downside is crying fanboys.

What do you think it costs to port a game to PC in comparison to developing a game from the ground up? A few hundred thousand vs 100M+ for some of these games. Even if they sell less it’s still good ROI and the only downside is crying fanboys.
Its funny how some here believe this kind of revenue will lead to Sony ditching playstation for PC, but emotional responses to these facts are just as equally as bad.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Everytime i cosider getting a PS5 - im reminded of threads like these. They keep me from reacting on my impulses.

Its inevitable, if you wait enough on PC - you do win.

Senua

Ok, and that is why Sony does not make a lot of money on PC. Pc players treat Sony like a 3rd party devs, they wait for their games to go on sale, get a discount code or just pirate it. They didnt buy PCs to only play CsGo or Valorant, where as there are people who willl buy a ps5 just for Spiderman 2.

So to see people saying Sony will ditch playstation for Pc....

Drama Love GIF by euphoria
UjRofNq.gif

Corndog

Banned
This game might need Direct Storage to be able to function, not just Nvme

They should definitely add this game to PS Plus by the way

Traditional data streaming method might work on Sata drive, but expect stutter in intense scene transition sequence
Nope. Just plenty of ram.

Top Bottom