• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Red Dead Redemption 2, sequel to 13+ million game, is coming, has co-op

I guess that means it'll be a case like GTAV then? Not cool, but better late than never, I guess.

Story wise, I hope the new protagonist is not
Jack Marston.

Leb

These days, I mostly just remember all the "insiders" from the PSX hype thread and remind myself that Chris Avellone is still alive and making games.

inner-G

Banned
My inside sourcez sent me this supersecret screen grab of the first-person mode:

jnLhU6w.png

Red Dead Reparations

new-trailer-for-django-unchained-watch-now-124456-470-75.jpg

It might be cool if they make it a Western, but set in an entirely different locale. The Proposition is basically a Western set in Australia. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is a Western set in Bolivia.

One interesting thing was that rockstar today had a Q&A in their newswire, one of the questions was:

“After the #GTAV reboot, how about a #RDR reboot?” - @SlyFoxC
“#GTAV on #XboxOne is seriously the pinnacle of awesomeness mountain. Now can we please get a Red Dead sequel please @RockstarGames?” - @FRYMANATION
“So if you’re going to keep making GTA, why not keep making Red Dead Redemption?” - @Austin_Lawson32

answer:

It’s wonderful to see so much excitement and enthusiasm for the Red Dead series, and nearly 5 years after Red Dead Redemption’s release(!). As we’ve mentioned when asked in the past about new games in other series such as Red Dead Redemption, Bully and L.A. Noire, we don’t always rush to make sequels, but that does not mean we won’t get to them eventually. We have so many games we want to make and the issue is always one of bandwidth and timing. We thank longtime fans such as yourselves as always for your amazing support and please stay tuned in 2015 for announcements of what’s to come from Rockstar Games.

I'm gonna resurrect my old post about this from some Red Dead thread or another:

A game called The Red, The Dead, and the Ugly, where you hop characters GTA V style, would be pretty fucking fun.

The Red: A Native American protagonist trying to live right even though the entire country is trying to marginalize him
The Dead: A former slave with a MASSIVE bounty on his head after killing his master and running.
The Ugly: A Jonah Hex-esque disfigured drifter with a mysterious past.

I'm also going to chime in that I would really really like this to be released on PC, if at all possible please please please GODDAMMIT PLEASE.

I'd love it if they had the balls to do that.

One interesting thing was that rockstar today had a Q&A in their newswire, one of the questions was:

“After the #GTAV reboot, how about a #RDR reboot?” - @SlyFoxC
“#GTAV on #XboxOne is seriously the pinnacle of awesomeness mountain. Now can we please get a Red Dead sequel please @RockstarGames?” - @FRYMANATION
“So if you’re going to keep making GTA, why not keep making Red Dead Redemption?” - @Austin_Lawson32

answer:

It’s wonderful to see so much excitement and enthusiasm for the Red Dead series, and nearly 5 years after Red Dead Redemption’s release(!). As we’ve mentioned when asked in the past about new games in other series such as Red Dead Redemption, Bully and L.A. Noire, we don’t always rush to make sequels, but that does not mean we won’t get to them eventually. We have so many games we want to make and the issue is always one of bandwidth and timing. We thank longtime fans such as yourselves as always for your amazing support and please stay tuned in 2015 for announcements of what’s to come from Rockstar Games.

LA Noire...?

Eh. Sure, I'll be excited if Rockstar proper do it.

Lime

Is a remaster happening for ps4/xb1?

Doubt it. Code is held together by duct tape as far as I've read, documentation is bare bones and if you're not getting a PC version, then the ps4 and bone x86 architecture similarly provides difficulty in porting it.

Edit: oops, double post. Sorry about that

Hoje0308

Banned
I'm gonna resurrect my old post about this from some Red Dead thread or another:

A game called The Red, The Dead, and the Ugly, where you hop characters GTA V style, would be pretty fucking fun.

The Red: A Native American protagonist trying to live right even though the entire country is trying to marginalize him
The Dead: A former slave with a MASSIVE bounty on his head after killing his master and running.
The Ugly: A Jonah Hex-esque disfigured drifter with a mysterious past.

I'm also going to chime in that I would really really like this to be released on PC, if at all possible please please please GODDAMMIT PLEASE.

This could work if you get rid of the racially charged title and treat the story with some respect (i.e., the characters are ends in and of themselves rather than a means to whatever childishly provocative end you have in mind). Could be a good chance to better inform people of the way racial minorities and non-Christians have been treated in this country. Put some emphasis on the nonchalant way our politicians redrew maps and changed history to label Mexicans as outsiders and invaders, while occasionally importing then exporting migrant workers when it suited our economic needs. Bonus points for showing Rockefeller as he really was. But, do I trust R* to do it well? Mayyyyybe, but only if you keep North out of it entirely. The story in RDR had some heart, so I do have a little faith in San Diego.

Fjordson

This could work if you get rid of the racially charged title and treat the story with some respect (i.e., the characters are ends in and of themselves rather than a means to whatever childishly provocative end you have in mind). Could be a good chance to better inform people of the way racial minorities and non-Christians have been treated in this country. Put some emphasis on the nonchalant way our politicians redrew maps and changed history to label Mexicans as outsiders and invaders, while occasionally importing then exporting migrant workers when it suited our economic needs. Bonus points for showing Rockefeller as he really was. But, do I trust R* to do it well? Mayyyyybe, but only if you keep North out of it entirely. The story in RDR had some heart, so I do have a little faith in San Diego.
All R* games have some overlap with the writing staff, give or take one or two people.

For example, Red Dead was Dan Houser, Michael Unsworth and Christian Cantamessa. GTA V was Dan Houser, Michael Unsworth and Rupert Humphries.

But I agree that Red Dead should operate in a different space than GTA story-wise.

I actually thought Redemption touched on some of the things you mentioned. Like the treatment of Mexicans, Jewish people, Native Americans, etc. And it poked some fun at old time religion in a few spots.

Blastoise

Banned
RDR is a perfect game from beginning to middle to end. RDR 2 will not live up to my exceptions, so I will keep my hype levels in check.

Still, I'm glad we are getting something.

Kikolool

Banned
Yeah but it was so obvious that it would come. The only question is when.
I just hope it will set the stage for an upcoming next gen GTA and we could see some scale already. But I also have to say that GTA 5 maxed out the PS3, so when they started RDR2 development it could have been on early PS4 specs and not fully optimized or whatever.

RDR looked pretty damn good on last gen systems. I can't even imagine how good the sequel will look. Them stars! That rain! That lightening!

Zombine

Banned
Can the co-op partner be a Chinese immigrant ready to kick ass and take names? Screw it, can they be the main character?

RDR looked pretty damn good on last gen systems. I can't even imagine how good the sequel will look. Them stars! That rain! That lightening!

Dem cougar women!

No Love

Banned
Doubt it. Code is held together by duct tape as far as I've read, documentation is bare bones and if you're not getting a PC version, then the ps4 and bone x86 architecture similarly provides difficulty in porting it.

Edit: oops, double post. Sorry about that

Rockstar can get the game running on PC. It was dev'd on PC. That's not the issue. It can be cleaned up and ported.

The issue is that Rockstar doesn't want to deal with the headaches of PC support. I can't blame them. Blame the bean counters/logistics. Would you rather put valuable resources into porting some old game to maybe make a few hundred thousand, a few mill at most, or have them hard at work on the next GTA that'll gross 1+ billion again in the first week? Easy choice.

bengraven

GoTG for me. Made me a massive fan of the western genre that continues today.

GTAV is a masterpiece and nearly knocked RDR off that tentpole, but RDR does atmosphere and story-telling just a bit better:

- The Strangers and Freaks missions were better in RDR, better integrated and smoother
- The hunting added a huge dimension to the game - where in GTA you have nothing to do if you are suddenly left on foot running down the street mid-mission. Sure you can steal a car or kill random peds, but if you didn't want to do that you're just going to be standing in a mostly un-interactive world. But in RDR you're surrounded by an environment - you might be near a hostile creature or you might want to just stalk a deer you just saw a few feet away. There's ALWAYS something to do in RDR.

I only wish it took these from GTA:

- the story was as big as GTAV. Maybe it was the three characters, but I hope RDR2 does something similar. Maybe a GB&U style - a bounty hunter, a killer, and a thug.
- RDR had some ridiculous parts of the story which were entertaining, but I'm still not sure they couldn't have been improved on. West Dickens missions were filler, the English doctor's missions were filler. They were funny characters, but their missions were worthless. At least Dickens gave you the satisfaction at the end of threatening him if he keeps wasting your time. In GTAV, the filler itself felt like a part of the world because it was much much less serious than RDR.
- land grabs - I want to see the real estate thing from GTA make it to RDR. It makes sense in a time when people were killing each other and innocent natives over land. Let me buy a house and give me a bonus if we find gold on the land. Or let me raise animals on a parcel of land, build a house on another, etc.

A RDR sequel is definitely coming. The CEO has tacitly acknowledged that.

The more interesting rumor is that there may be a RDR remaster for Xbone & PS4 on the way.

I've had a theory they'd do a "Bully" like remaster with a PC version since Day 1. This would be a big I Told You So.

Top Bottom