• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Red Dead Redemption 2, sequel to 13+ million game, is coming, has co-op

A revenge motivation would be perfect for narrative that has to justify shooting tons of people. Being a freed slave or something à la Django provides adequate context.

I'd love it.

If they go they route, they simply can't pussyfoot around the subject matter. It can be over-the-top, yet still have a basis in history, like Django Unchained (crippling of slaves, the metal hook harnesses, n-word, field/house slave dynamic Etc.). I would hate for a game to try to tackle this subject, then pull a Bioshock Infinite. R*, at the very least, has to clout to attempt that and the resources to pull it off. Don't know whether they would do it without bad portrayals/implications though. I'd still want to see them try.

A sequel? Like after RDR?
Wasn't that game set right at the end of the Wild West era? There are cars, and the back of the box says "America. 1911. The Wild West is dying."
I always thought they'd need to do a prequel to continue the setting. Maybe play as a young Landon Rickets. Although I doubt people would want to play as a guy named Landon Rickets.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
fuq not this again
troy-barnes-crying.jpg

yes agian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrXMq-m29og

popyea

A sequel? Like after RDR?
Wasn't that game set right at the end of the Wild West era? There are cars, and the back of the box says "America. 1911. The Wild West is dying."
I always thought they'd need to do a prequel to continue the setting. Maybe play as a young Landon Rickets. Although I doubt people would want to play as a guy named Landon Rickets.

It could easily be a thematic sequel, like what GTA does. Game sequels aren't obligated to continue a narrative thread like a movie sequel might.

Lets be honest guys only one of us can be the cowboy the rest have to be the horse

(I am so excited this is my next biggest anticipated game next to PD)

Dead Red West

A pitch can be terrible though, and you can hate it :)

No doubt! It was the specificity of the complaint that was weird.

"The non-existent execution of your idea that I just said I liked I hate because Rockstar has things to say."

Oh! Okay. :)

I mean, I'm sure they'll come up with a better idea, AND execute it well, too.

Peace Tea

Pretty dissapointed, if true. Would rather see Rockstar put the money towards creating a new IP, or ambitiously attempt taking the arcade racer crown for the entire generation, with a Midnight Club entry.

Oh well. Hopefully rockstar make halfway-map traveling a core challenge. Getting constantly ambushed by packs of bandits, or overly sensative shotgun/wells Fargo money carriers sounds about right. edit: oh and remove retinal correction. That shit made it impossible to strafe shoot, after 3 seconds (when it kicked in).

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Pretty dissapointed, if true. Would rather see Rockstar put the money towards creating a new IP, or ambitiously attempt taking the arcade racer crown for the entire generation, with a Midnight Club entry.

Oh well. Hopefully rockstar make halfway-map traveling a core challenge. Getting constantly ambushed by packs of bandits, or overly sensative shotgun/wells Fargo money carriers sounds about right. edit: oh and remove retinal correction. That shit made it impossible to strafe shoot, after 3 seconds (when it kicked in).

I'm glad you don't run R*. I am very excited for this.

Lime

If they go they route, they simply can't pussyfoot around the subject matter. It can be over-the-top, yet still have a basis in history, like Django Unchained (crippling of slaves, the metal hook harnesses, n-word, field/house slave dynamic Etc.). I would hate for a game to try to tackle this subject, then pull a Bioshock Infinite. R*, at the very least, has to clout to attempt that and the resources to pull it off. Don't know whether they would do it without bad portrayals/implications though. I'd still want to see them try.

True. How did you think Ubisoft pulled off Freedom Cry in that regard?

I totally agree Bioshock Infinite did a terrible mishandling of its subject matter.

True. How did you think Ubisoft pulled off Freedom Cry in that regard?

I totally agree Bioshock Infinite did a terrible mishandling of its subject matter.

I never played it, but I've read/watched videos about it. It's funny you mention Freedom Cry because it did something that can be construed as indirectly and unintentionally harmful through its gameplay. The player free slaves, but then those slaves are just used as a currency by the player to unlock stuff. The Errant Signal guy did a video about this and that's where I heard about this (and is all I know about the game).

There still should be a game about this, and I'll never say it's too difficult to attempt, but I do worry about how the gameplay could tell an unintended story in a game on this subject matter.

Karak

Focus on co-op?

Sigh, can't just play by myself and have the best experience anymore can I?

That hopefully just means co-op throughout the main story and that would technically require a focus on co-op during development to make it work.

Though I admit a Bonnie and Clyde kind of situation would rock with a couple being the protagonists or something, I still agree with you and would want to make sure the singeplayer is just as robust.

AzBat

Red Dead Redemption is my favorite game of the generation & maybe of all time. They melded a lot of the great western movies of all time. So if they are going for that again for the next game, which western movies do you hope they use for inspiration for the next one? If the co-op rumors are true(which I hope they are) then I hope take inspiration from The Magnificent Seven, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, True Grit, Butch Casidy & The Sundance Kid, Unforgiven & Young Guns.

Man o Man I can't wait!!

With this mention of co-op how can ya'll not be posting the greatest buddy story ever?

79514x480.jpg

What I wouldn't do for a Butch Cassidy-inspired Rockstar openworld game. Take you all over the west robbing banks, and hell, why not take a trip down to Bolivia.

Aside from the co-op idea, this is a big fat "duh". Just hope it doesn't get caught in the development hell that RDR was among the other reported problems at R*SD that were going on over the course of the game's development.

No Love

Banned
Thread bump. Asked my source some questions today. RDR most likely never coming for PC, and RDR2 might not come either (initially).

Lime

If only RDR hadn't been such a mess in its development we would've had a PC version. Rockstar shouldve ensured proper work conditions.

Top Bottom