• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Red Dead Redemption 2 to be revealed as an Epic Games Store Exclusive

Gamezone

Gold Member
I don't know how valid this rumor is, but people on Reddit said that the same source predicted the Borderlands 3 exclusivity on the EGS. True or not, it won't surprise me if it becomes true.

I guess we`ll see later this month.

The 4chan leaker states that Red Dead Redemption 2's PC version will be revealed on April 22nd as an Epic Games Store exclusive, with the full game having a planned release date of July 19th 2019. The post also mentions that this is not a timed exclusive, but a permanent one, with Epic Games and Take-Two, the owner or Rockstar Games, creating a deal which will give the company full profit on any DLC that's released for the game's PC version.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/so...ZdYZT2Viddcc5c0t1Ign88nv9-kpmbEb8kCGa5o4IQCHM

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
This is the first game I would HIGHLY PRAISE Epic for despite all my criticism. One thing though......there isn't going to be DLC for RDR2, that's essentially what RDO is so.......... not sure this makes sense unless we're really talking about in-game purchases.

Gamezone

Gold Member
This rumour could be 100% made up yet is most likely 100% accurate. At this point just assume every AAA game coming out on PC will be an Epic exclusive.

I think we`ll see a bunch of EGS exclusives during E3 this year.

Steam is getting some heavy "competition". Microsoft is also rumored to launch their new store, along with most of the current Xbox One library on PC, Gamepass included.

Not counting Halo MCC, Epic is pretty much grabbing EVERY major title. This is crazy.

Valve rested on their laurels, this was bound to happen eventually.

At least this way we probably really will see the return of Half-Life.

I'm just happy to hear RDR2 might be coming to PC fairly soon, July 19th would be perfect in fact.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
OK if there is a game that would tempt me to back down and use Epic then it's RDR2 but i already have it on PS4 so i'll just not bother buying the PC version.

Also, unless Epic are offering SERIOUS and i mean SERIOUS money then I can't see TakeTwo going through with this. They will want to make as much money as possible and releasing it on the Epic Store instead of Steam would be insanely stupid. So yeah unless Epic are giving TakeTwo crazy money then i doubt it'll happen.

I'd actually be impressed if it were true. If Epic can buy RDR2 exclusivity from TakeTwo then it would show that perhaps RDR2 isn't doing as well as they hoped so will just grab whatever money they can get their greedy paws on.

It's almost assuredly going to be an Epic games exclusive considering it's 2K.
you do know that 2K don't own Red Dead, right?

The game is made by Rockstar and published by Take Two. 2K have nothing to do with Red Dead.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
If EGS keep getting these huge games, Steam HAVE to do something. Regardless of what side of the fence you sit, this is awful for steam. Steam have for many years done jack shit. The service has gotten go better, no improvements have been made, the sales are awful... Hell, the iPhone still has that god awful chat (which I hear is getting updated soon). But as a service, it’s terrible. Even Sky in the uk updates with more changes more often... SKY?!!?

Massive shame. I used to be all steam or nothing, but if epic want to do this to get them to sort it out then cool.

Likewise though EGS is bloody awful. I know they have the financial grunt behind them but their store is lacking in nearly every way. They don’t even have achievements, cloud saves, basic stuff j would expect. So that needs sorting.

OK if there is a game that would tempt me to back down and use Epic then it's RDR2 but i already have it on PS4 so i'll just not bother buying the PC version.

Also, unless Epic are offering SERIOUS and i mean SERIOUS money then I can't see TakeTwo going through with this. They will want to make as much money as possible and releasing it on the Epic Store instead of Steam would be insanely stupid. So yeah unless Epic are giving TakeTwo crazy money then i doubt it'll happen.

I'd actually be impressed if it were true and it would show that perhaps RDR2 isn't doing as well as they hoped.

The game is made by Rockstar and published by Take Two. 2K have nothing to do with Red Dead.

Take Two is what I meant.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
OK if there is a game that would tempt me to back down and use Epic then it's RDR2 but i already have it on PS4 so i'll just not bother buying the PC version. Also, unless Epic are offering SERIOUS and i mean SERIOUS money then I can't see TakeTwo going through with this. They will want to make as much money as possible and releasing it on the Epic Store instead of Steam would be insanely stupid. So yeah unless Epic are giving TakeTwo crazy money then i doubt it'll happen. I'd actually be impressed if it were true.

2k and Take Two are the same company.

Twitter is going to love this news. They already are raging at Epic.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Last edited:

Bullet Club

If Epic can buy RDR2 exclusivity from TakeTwo then it would show that perhaps RDR2 isn't doing as well as they hoped so will just grab whatever money they can get their greedy paws on.
RDR2 has sold over 20m, so it seems to have done alright. They just want even more money.

Geki-D

Banned
I'm exaggerating, but right now there seems to be a common trend of big games getting announced as Epic exclusive. Epic seem to be very proactive in getting these deals and besides not russling some gamer's jammies, publishers don't really seem to have much incentive to release on Stream at the same time anymore.

Last edited:

Ogbert

The good thing about all this Epic nonsense, is that it will force Steam to buck their ideas up.

They'll need something big to get people back.

Something like Half Life 3.

SonGoku

I'm exaggerating, but right now there seems to be a common trend of big games getting announced as Epic exclusive. They seem to be very proactive in getting these deals and besides not russling some gamer's jammies, publishers don't really seem to have much incentive to release on Stream at the same time anymore.
Sorry im out of the loop which big games are coming to epic and not steam?

To the anti Epic Store among us, keep up your boycott, you aren't missing anything with RDR2.

Most disappointing game I've ever played in my life.

Just my opinion, so don't crucify me.

Geki-D

Banned
maybe fact check what you're saying before you post then?
A mod should force you to change your avatar to this:
Bugs_Bunny_Angry.jpg

Like I've already said, I'm exaggerating. There are still plenty of games coming out on Steam but it does seem like a good number of ones that get media coverage on PC are ending up with Epic exclusives deals.
I'm not really a PC gamer but this list seems pretty comprehensive.

Gamezone

Gold Member
If EGS keep getting these huge games, Steam HAVE to do something. Regardless of what side of the fence you sit, this is awful for steam. Steam have for many years done jack shit. The service has gotten go better, no improvements have been made, the sales are awful... Hell, the iPhone still has that god awful chat (which I hear is getting updated soon). But as a service, it’s terrible. Even Sky in the uk updates with more changes more often... SKY?!!?

Massive shame. I used to be all steam or nothing, but if epic want to do this to get them to sort it out then cool.

Likewise though EGS is bloody awful. I know they have the financial grunt behind them but their store is lacking in nearly every way. They don’t even have achievements, cloud saves, basic stuff j would expect. So that needs sorting.

They have done stuff, but at a very slow pace. Their UI is outdated, and I have lost counts on how many times the new UI have been delayed. Their mobile app for Android and iOS has been completely abandoned, while Epic is working on their own. According to Epic`s roadmap, most features Steam has to offer will be added to EGS by the end of this year. That`s a bit worrying for Valve.

Gamezone

Gold Member

Games that are already there: Metro Exodus, The Division 2, Walking Dead.

Games to come: Borderlands 3, Control, RDR2 (rumored), ANNO 1800, World War Z, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Detroit Become Human, The Outor Worlds. These are only the big titles, and Ubisoft will probably keep signing deals with them.

It's safe to say that Epic have grabbed basically every title worth mentioning since their announced their store plans, not counting Halo MCC. Metro Exodus didn't sell like crap either, and Ubisoft also seemed happy.

Last edited:
Games that are already there: Metro Exodus, The Division 2, Walking Dead.

Games to come: Borderlands 3, Control, RDR2 (rumored), ANNO 1800, World War Z, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Detroit Become Human, The Outor Worlds. These are only the big titles, and Ubisoft will probably keep signing deals with them.

It's safe to say that Epic have grabbed basically every title worth mentioning since their announced their store plans, not counting Halo MCC.
I think his point is that all of those are coming to Steam eventually. They're timed exclusives.

Geki-D

Banned
I think his point is that all of those are coming to Steam eventually. They're timed exclusives.
Sure but that argument holds more water for consoles than PC, where you already own the platform that can play the game and have only to make a free account at another retailer to play it a year earlier.

Sure but that argument holds more water for consoles than PC, where you already own the platform that can play the game and have only to make a free account at another retailer to play it a year earlier.
Sorry, I wasn't making an argument. Just saying what I think the guy meant.

TimFL

Valve rested on their laurels, this was bound to happen eventually.

At least this way we probably really will see the return of Half-Life.

I'm just happy to hear RDR2 might be coming to PC fairly soon, July 19th would be perfect in fact.
Jesus, what does this have anything to do with HL? How could HL releasing potentially sway 2k T2 to put RDR2 on Steam? Does releasing HL(3) also coincident with the lowering of the infamous 30% cut Valve takes or what?

Steam != Valve games. I'd love to see a HL3 but I don't think ANYONE at Valve goes "Oh shit, RDR2 Epic Store exclusive... let's release HL to combat that!" instead of "oh we might have to look at providing more value for developers/consumers on the Steam store, let's focus on getting that redesigned client out and improving our discovery tools even more... or start looking at lower cuts for partnerships with publishers!"

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Jesus, what does this have anything to do with HL? How could HL releasing potentially sway 2k to put RDR2 on Steam? Does releasing HL(3) also coincident with the lowering of the infamous 30% cut Valve takes or what?

Steam != Valve games. I'd love to see a HL3 but I don't think ANYONE at Valve goes "Oh shit, RDR2 Epic Store exclusive... let's release HL to combat that!" instead of "oh we might have to look at providing more value for developers/consumers on the Steam store, let's focus on getting that redesigned client out and improving our discovery tools even more... or start looking at lower cuts for partnerships with publishers!"
here we go again....

2K do not have anything to do with RDR2.

Rockstar create/publish RDR2 and they are owned by TakeTwo (who also own 2K)

it's really not that hard to tell the difference between "2K" + "Take Two". jeez.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Bringing HL into the mix, it does amaze me there are development studios with a quarter of valves staff and a percentage of their money who could have made HL3 10x over by now.

I don’t know what that means however... I do know that for steam, they have dropped way behind where it should be, and as a games developer they seriously dropped the ball. From one of my favourite companies to one that has barely any relevance any more is terrible. At least id Software still try, even if they are not the id software I remember and love.

TimFL

here we go again....

it's really not that hard to tell the difference between "2K" + "Take Two". jeez.
Pardon, it's early in the morning for me. I know that it's T2. Still doesn't change anything of what I wrote.

Geki-D

Banned
here we go again....

Anyway, what really surprises me is that Weighty Rain, Beyond Three Spirits & Michigan Become Robot are breaking their Switch exclusivity for the Epic store. I get that they were published by Quantic Dreams but I'm surprised the guys who made it at Team ICO are ok with this.

Top Bottom