• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Red Dead Redemption 2 to be revealed as an Epic Games Store Exclusive

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I think we`ll see a bunch of EGS exclusives during E3 this year.

Steam is getting some heavy "competition". Microsoft is also rumored to launch their new store, along with most of the current Xbox One library on PC, Gamepass included.

The windows 10 store is very crappy, but where's the rumor coming from regarding a new store? And will all the games work on pc as well with mouse and keyboard support?

From one of my favourite companies to one that has barely any relevance any more is terrible.

Tell me about it, I used to be a huge Valve fan and then the Valve I knew and loved just up and died out of the blue for basically no reason.

They didn't suffer a financial flop or any financial trouble at all, they just simply chose to stop making games for basically no reason whatsoever, all that acclaim and fandom and they just chose to piss it all away because they were bored and lazy I guess.

It's the kind of thing that I basically can't think about too much otherwise it makes me too sad.

Here's hoping the Epic store is the kick in the ass they need to bring some of the old magic back.

Gamezone

Gold Member
The windows 10 store is very crappy, but where's the rumor coming from regarding a new store? And will all the games work on pc as well with mouse and keyboard support?

It looks like there will be mouse and keyboard support. State of Decay is currently in testing for selected insiders. More here:

Graciaus

Steam haters out in full force once again. The 30% cut is industry standard. What isn't standard is the 3rd party selling which Valve doesn't get any money from. I never buy directly through steam unless I have a gift card since it's almost always cheaper not to. Can't do that on Epic.

Publishers are going to epic because of the money. They would be stupid not to. Epic literally pays them for a timed exclusive. Then they can release everywhere else later.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Steam haters out in full force once again. The 30% cut is industry standard. What isn't standard is the 3rd party selling which Valve doesn't get any money from. I never buy directly through steam unless I have a gift card since it's almost always cheaper not to. Can't do that on Epic.

Publishers are going to epic because of the money. They would be stupid not to. Epic literally pays them for a timed exclusive. Then they can release everywhere else later.

Yeah, but Steam is where the players are. You don't go to a kindergarten if you want to sell a car.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Wouldn't be surprised by this after seeing Borderlands 3 being exclusive but RDR2 is a bigger game. Imagine how much they'd have to pay for a six month exclusive deal

The_Mike

It looks like there will be mouse and keyboard support. State of Decay is currently in testing for selected insiders. More here:

Well obviously Microsoft own games has this, but will third party games?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Jesus, what does this have anything to do with HL? How could HL releasing potentially sway 2k to put RDR2 on Steam? Does releasing HL(3) also coincident with the lowering of the infamous 30% cut Valve takes or what?

Steam != Valve games. I'd love to see a HL3 but I don't think ANYONE at Valve goes "Oh shit, RDR2 Epic Store exclusive... let's release HL to combat that!" instead of "oh we might have to look at providing more value for developers/consumers on the Steam store, let's focus on getting that redesigned client out and improving our discovery tools even more... or start looking at lower cuts for partnerships with publishers!"
Epic is making half life 3 happen on steam shut your piehole

RedVIper

Banned
I find people who think Steam is ever going to be able to compete with Epic fucking funny.

Either Epic implodes because customers don't support them and their practices or they're taking over the market, Steam is already the better service, Steam doesn't have the money to go toe to toe on moneyhatting games against Epic, people complaining about Steam being a "monopoly" are going to love having Epic running the show.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
also red dead coming to steam seems pretty fing stupid. As they already wanted to avoid it in the past.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Well obviously Microsoft own games has this, but will third party games?

Yes.

When they talk about Gamepass for PC, it's probably something close to what we have on Xbox.

They want to bring the Xbox UI to PC as a big picture mode, along with third party games. This is likely to be revealed at E3.

Graciaus

Yeah, but Steam is where the players are. You don't go to a kindergarten if you want to sell a car.
That analogy doesn't really work. They are both stores. One just happens to be much better then the other. Personally I'd rather pirate then support epic. Never would have thought I'd download a game in 2019.

The_Mike

Yes.

When they talk about Gamepass for PC, it's probably something close to what we have on Xbox.

They want to bring the Xbox UI to PC as a big picture mode, along with third party games. This is likely to be revealed at E3.

Holy s, this makes the Xbox Store my primary place to buy games.

If this is a permanent exclusive, then I think this will be more like the deal with Ubisoft meaning that you can still buy it direct through Rockstar.

I purchased my GTA5 PC copy through Rockstar because it was a lot cheaper than Steam at the time. I will buy RDR2 that way if given the option.

I'm one of those gamers who was bored to tears by the time I got to Mexico in RDR1, so I'm not in any rush for this one and skipped it on consoles.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
giphy.gif

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
If EGS is on such a spending spree couldn't they also afford to cover the costs of RDR1 PC port? I know that the development of that game was a shitshow, but you can solve (almost) every problem with enough money. ;)

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
Just imagine having 1300 games on the Epic Store as it stands right now and then trying to find the game you want to play. Uh no.

how much money is tim sweeney throwing around???
The Sweens is throwing around what could be called Sweens of cash.

In fact those in the industry call that "pulling a Sween"

I think the real reason for these exclusives isn't the exclusivity money itself, it's the smaller piece of the pie Epic takes concerning the game's profits. Exclusive bonus + keeping more money per-sale = you're going to see a lot of epic exclusives from now on.

silentstalker

Neo Member
At first people will hate this move but at the end of the day, those who want to play the game will get it regardless on what platform it belongs.

Fbh

That would be a pretty big blow for Steam.
The kid of blow that results in this type of thing:
modernwarfareboycott.jpg

Now PC gamer will known how console war feel like.

I'm all for this type of console war if I can buy an XB1X, install the playstation store on it and play stuff like Spiderman and God of War in native 4K

Last edited:

Yoda

That'd really suck for Steam, Valve should take a pinch of those Steam profits and try to stop this from happening.

RedVIper

Banned
That'd really suck for Steam, Valve should take a pinch of those Steam profits and try to stop this from happening.

Valve can't compete with Epic on money, they are just way smaller, and they already have a better store, people here still support epic.

Catphish

I would not be happy with that, but it still wouldn't make me use the Epic store or launcher, as much as I want RDR2 on PC.

Gamezone

Gold Member
But how will it work with third party games? I mean if it's not already coded inside the game, then Xbox games launched on pc wouldn't have graphic nor mouse and keyboard settings

I think Microsoft have tools to easily set this up. The Xbox One is basically a PC with Windows 10 already. Next generation Microsoft don't want to bother if you play Xbox on a console or PC.

Yoda

Valve can't compete with Epic on money, they are just way smaller, and they already have a better store, people here still support epic.

Steam made approx 4 billion last year: https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...imated-4-3b-2017-benefits-flow-handful-titles

Compare that to 3B in reported profits for Epic:
https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/27/epic-fortnite-3-billion-profit/

Assuming valve spends 1B a year in ops (seems high for a company with a few hundred employees, but I'm sure there cloud infra isn't cheap). Then I'd argue Epic Games isn't massive in comparison to Valve. I think the only thing holding Valve back is they don't want to set a precedent of competing for exclusives, but losing Rockstar games could be a rubicon crossing they'd struggle to undo.

RedVIper

Banned
Steam made approx 4 billion last year: https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...imated-4-3b-2017-benefits-flow-handful-titles

Compare that to 3B in reported profits for Epic:
https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/27/epic-fortnite-3-billion-profit/

Assuming valve spends 1B a year in ops (seems high for a company with a few hundred employees, but I'm sure there cloud infra isn't cheap). Then I'd argue Epic Games isn't massive in comparison to Valve. I think the only thing holding Valve back is they don't want to set a precedent of competing for exclusives, but losing Rockstar games could be a rubicon crossing they'd struggle to undo.

You're disregarding that Tencent has a major investment in Epic, and they're worth what, 200 billion? I think they made more than Valve in a single quarter, if Valve tries to go toe to toe with Epic they'll just get outspent.

Stuart360

This could be the tipping point if this is true. I dont exactly know what will happen whether Steam decide to change their stance or do something to counter Epic, or Epic offices being fire bombed (seriously they are hated at this point), but something big will happen imo.

Goff2k

Is rockstars store still a thing? Or did they scuttle it? I would buy the pc version through them.

Yoda

You're disregarding that Tencent has a major investment in Epic, and they're worth what, 200 billion? I think they made more than Valve in a single quarter, if Valve tries to go toe to toe with Epic they'll just get outspent.

So Tencent is a holding conglomerate, not a partner/parent company. They aren't going to infuse cash for operations. Of course it bolstered Epic's finances, but that doesn't give them access to Tencent corporate accounts.

-MD-

Its more about how high profile the game is, rather than if the game is great. Something will change if Epic get RDR2, i'm certain of it.

Oh I don't disagree, this is going to catch someone's eye.

Just personally from everything I've heard about the game, even from hardcore fanboys, I know it's something I'll never play.

wvnative

Red Dead Online is such an evil game in its monetization I have no issue believing take-two would do this.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Not really. We don't have to buy an entire new system to play exclusive games.
Wrong. They have to go through the horrible, tough and strenuous ordeal of..............downloading a new launcher.

You read the comments of Steam sycophants, you'd think it was the end of the world.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Take Two Interactive is the parent company so I wouldn't be surprised at all considering that Borderlands 3 and The Outer Worlds IP's are still owned by Take Two Interactive. Just like RDR. So I wouldn't be surprised.

One more reason for Valve to develop Half Life 2 Episode 3 and Half Life 3. 😃
TBH I think the ship has sailed on a single player shooter being a huge draw for Valve, they would be better off investing in a Steam only GTA clone with a strong multiplayer focus with big yearly updates than Half-Life 3.

What engine does RDR2 uses?
Imho it makes no sense.
The game would be in the 50m+ gross bracket on Seam anyway.

So it would be 12% vs 20%
Not 12% vs 35%

Top Bottom