• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Red Dead Redemption 2 to be revealed as an Epic Games Store Exclusive

TheUsual

Gold Member
There's LITERALLY nothing stopping Rockstar from putting RDR2 on both the Epic Store and Steam. So why would any business person only put it on EGS (and not get moneyhatted) when the same game can increase your total sales on PC?
Rockstar/Take 2 can be protesting Valve's terms. We don't know what type of negotiation there is between Valve and them right now. Probably still ongoing and letting this type of info leak gives the publisher some leverage on what terms they want if put on Steam.
It's also RDR2. Rockstar/Take 2 can be betting the crowd will follow it to whatever store its available on the PC. As of right now, it's all rumors.

NickFire

Rockstar/Take 2 can be protesting Valve's terms. We don't know what type of negotiation there is between Valve and them right now. Probably still ongoing and letting this type of info leak gives the publisher some leverage on what terms they want if put on Steam.
It's also RDR2. Rockstar/Take 2 can be betting the crowd will follow it to whatever store its available on the PC. As of right now, it's all rumors.
If rumors are true I wouldn't call it a protest because I don't consider keeping an extra 18% a protest. I call that business.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If rumors are true I wouldn't call it a protest because I don't consider keeping an extra 18% a protest. I call that business.

But it's not 18%, due to the fact that Valve would only take 20% of each game sold since it'll sell well. The difference between 20% and 12% isn't enough to keep the game off of Steam.

demigod

The guy came back said Mario oddesy is coming to pc so yeah not happening yet, probably won't till next gen version will' come out.

'' It's me again. Famous 4chan leaker. So i got some great news, and not so great news. Super Mario Odyssey will be announced for PC on the 9nd of May at 22AM PST (California). The bad news, it will be exclusive to the Epic Games Store. It will not get a Steam release, this is not a time exclusive deal. The reason being is Nintendo made a deal with Epic, allowing Nintendo to take full profit on DLC released for the game.''​

Famous? Lol. Announcing at 10pm, faker than fake. Dude needs to learn th for 9th.

NickFire

But it's not 18%, due to the fact that Valve would only take 20% of each game sold since it'll sell well. The difference between 20% and 12% isn't enough to keep the game off of Steam.
Would be for me if I were publishing the game. 8% of 50 Mill is 4 Mill. Granted, if I were in that position I might have data available to show we would lose more than we gained in lost sales. That's the great unknown to someone in my shoes. My gut feeling is most PC consumers will begrudgingly follow their preferred games to Epic's launcher because they are starting to lose access to desired games if they refuse, but my gut doesn't pay the bills.

Hari Seldon

Good thing they did the stupid console only release first so I know to skip this regardless of what pc store it comes out on. Holding the line on avoiding installing the epic store has been extremely easy so far.

mckmas8808

Would be for me if I were publishing the game. 8% of 50 Mill is 4 Mill. Granted, if I were in that position I might have data available to show we would lose more than we gained in lost sales. That's the great unknown to someone in my shoes. My gut feeling is most PC consumers will begrudgingly follow their preferred games to Epic's launcher because they are starting to lose access to desired games if they refuse, but my gut doesn't pay the bills.

- So if they sold 2 million copies of RDR2 on Steam at $60.....that'll be $120 million.
- Take 20% off of that $120 million and that leaves Take Two with $96 million.

That's far and away more than the $4 million difference to make it exclusive to EGS. After us doing these numbers......this story is super duper fake! Unless we find out Epic gave Take-Two over $100 million straight cash.

Last edited:

NickFire

- So if they sold 2 million copies of RDR2 on Steam at $60.....that'll be $120 million.
- Take 20% off of that $120 million and that leaves Take Two with $96 million.

That's far and away more than the $4 million difference to make it exclusive to EGS. After us doing these numbers......this story is super duper fake! Unless we find out Epic gave Take-Two over $100 million straight cash.
Yeah, but you're assuming those 2 millions sales are lost by not being on Steam. I suspect that most of them would not be lost. But, I admit that I do not know for sure either way. So all I can do is play devil's advocate.

People saying this practice is not competitive....Till steam feel the pressure and lower their cut to a similar rate. Which might happen and only because Epic actually making real business moves unlike other launchers. Will they still bitch then?

sol_bad

People saying this practice is not competitive....Till steam feel the pressure and lower their cut to a similar rate. Which might happen and only because Epic actually making real business moves unlike other launchers. Will they still bitch then?

Do people even think this through? Why is Steam the ONLY company anyone is bitching about lowering the 30%? What about Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Apple, Google and god knows how many other companies. Fact is when a publishers sales move from physical to digital they are automatically making more money as they don't need to print physical goods, I don't have any proof but I'm also sure that retail stores take a larger cut than 30%.

Let's think about this from Steams perspective.
I think I recently read that they made about 4 billion dollars last year, that is based on the 30% cut. You are seriously asking them to cut their revenue from 4 billion a year to less than 2 billion a year? You want them to take a 50% cut in revenue? Do you know how insane that sounds for a company?

Once Fortnite dries up and no one cares about it, we'll see how long Epic can survive on the 12% cut. We as consumers have zero idea what it costs to run a company like Valve, a digital store front. The fact of reality is that expenses for everything go up over time, it's natural inflation.

Do people even think this through? Why is Steam the ONLY company anyone is bitching about lowering the 30%? What about Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Apple, Google and god knows how many other companies. Fact is when a publishers sales move from physical to digital they are automatically making more money as they don't need to print physical goods, I don't have any proof but I'm also sure that retail stores take a larger cut than 30%.

Let's think about this from Steams perspective.
I think I recently read that they made about 4 billion dollars last year, that is based on the 30% cut. You are seriously asking them to cut their revenue from 4 billion a year to less than 2 billion a year? You want them to take a 50% cut in revenue? Do you know how insane that sounds for a company?

Once Fortnite dries up and no one cares about it, we'll see how long Epic can survive on the 12% cut. We as consumers have zero idea what it costs to run a company like Valve, a digital store front. The fact of reality is that expenses for everything go up over time, it's natural inflation.
Only knew about it till Epic brought the issue to light. Most people would rather a better percentage of the revenue going developer side. Not to the guy who I download it from.

Arkage

Banned
Why is Steam the ONLY company anyone is bitching about lowering the 30%? What about Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Apple, Google and god knows how many other companies.

Those other companies use their own hardware platform and OS to rationalize the cut. PC is an open platform. Steam can keep its 30% cut but then it better not bitch or be surprised when game devs run to Epic for better ratios.

SonGoku

There's LITERALLY nothing stopping Rockstar from putting RDR2 on both the Epic Store and Steam. So why would any business person only put it on EGS (and not get moneyhatted) when the same game can increase your total sales on PC?
Well there is one... By making it exclusive they make sure all purchases are made from Epic stores thus earning more money per purchase (88% vs 80% revenue)
Having said that, i don't support epic practices and not saying this is the case, just playing devils advocate.

sol_bad

Those other companies use their own hardware platform and OS to rationalize the cut. PC is an open platform. Steam can keep its 30% cut but then it better not bitch or be surprised when game devs run to Epic for better ratios.

Sony, Microsoft and now Nintendo charge for features that Steam give away for free. Should Steam lower their cut to 12% and the start charging for their online features? If yes, why don't Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo lower their 30% cut to 12% since they make up for it

Having hardware associated with your company doesn't mean anything. They budget the price of the hardware to recoup those costs. Apple make more than enough of their money back on hardware, all of their hardware is overpriced. Because they make so much money on hardware, they could easily lower their 30% cut and still make money.

OS, you could basically cal Steam it's own little OS. The amount of time and money they have put in to Steam is quite staggering there have been way more worthwhile updates to Steam over the last few years than what MacOS or Google's OS has updated.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Well there is one... By making it exclusive they make sure all purchases are made from Epic stores thus earning more money per purchase (88% vs 80% revenue)
Having said that, i don't support epic practices and not saying this is the case, just playing devils advocate.

Yes they make more money per purchase, but Steam has more gamers that buy from their store than EGS does. And many of those Steam players will never install the Epic store. Those are lost sales for no reason, when you can just put the game on both stores.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Yes they make more money per purchase, but Steam has more gamers that buy from their store than EGS does. And many of those Steam players will never install the Epic store. Those are lost sales for no reason, when you can just put the game on both stores.

Spot on. It's just good business sense to let your customers buy from as many places as possible.

IT WON'T GO TO THE DEVELOPERS.

OR
They could sell them without launchers and keep 100%.

nah It will. More percent to developer and publisher. If you think the publisher will take 100 percent of the extra cut from the labor you're being naive. That's the whole design of the deal, which btw is ALREADY WORKING. If people decide to not go with Epic for a bigger market share at steam (which is what I would do honestly), Epic's competitive presence has already had a good effect. Steam has already redone its royalty structure to be more competitive.

Jayjayhd34

No ones going skip out rd2 just because of what store its on gta 4 had using rockstar social club shit it still sold shit tonne.

mckmas8808

nah It will. More percent to developer and publisher. If you think the publisher will take 100 percent of the extra cut from the labor you're being naive. That's the whole design of the deal, which btw is ALREADY WORKING. If people decide to not go with Epic for a bigger market share at steam (which is what I would do honestly), Epic's competitive presence has already had a good effect. Steam has already redone its royalty structure to be more competitive.

Why is it that you can't imagine PC games coming out on both stores? So many people talk about EGS and STEAM as if devs and publishers aren't allowed to put the game on both stores.

No ones going skip out rd2 just because of what store its on gta 4 had using rockstar social club shit it still sold shit tonne.

Ummm....yeah there is. Those people are here. Every PC game would sell more if it's on Steam.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

RSC doesn't really do much though and isn't considered to be spyware, nor is it the location you purchase your game. Here it seems that you're comparing apples to oranges.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Why is it that you can't imagine PC games coming out on both stores? So many people talk about EGS and STEAM as if devs and publishers aren't allowed to put the game on both stores.

Indeed - one of the things that Steam does right is not only not stopping people from putting their games on other stores but actually helping them to do so, letting them sell keys elsewhere for which Valve gets no money but still provides the infrastructure (the download service, patching infrastructure, etc - not trivial stuff by any means).

SonGoku

but Steam has more gamers that buy from their store than EGS does
This applies to less popular games, juggernauts like RDR or GTA have the brand recognition to launch in any launcher and people will flock
And many of those Steam players will never install the Epic store.
Very small vocal minority, most players wont think twice

Just playing devils advocate btw.
OR
They could sell them without launchers and keep 100%.
True but maybe their calculations determined they would make more money this way due to not having to invest in servers and bandwith for downloads, or maybe Epics moneyhat was 100% revenue.

Last edited:

Denton

The moment where mask breaks... Aren't Steam features supposed to be prime reason why no one wants to use EGS ? Rockstar Launcher has even less features than EGS, it only provides DRM and nothing else.

Yes, Steam and GOG would be preferable.

But when your only choices are:

- EGS: Featureless cancer that bribes third party games to prevent their release on GOG/Steam
- R*SC: Featureless cancer that does not bribe third party games to prevent their release on GOG/Steam

Why exactly are you surprised people would pick R*?

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Yes, Steam and GOG would be preferable.

But when your only choices are:

- EGS: Featureless cancer that bribes third party games to prevent their release on GOG/Steam
- R*SC: Featureless cancer that does not bribe third party games to prevent their release on GOG/Steam

Why exactly are you surprised people would pick R*?

Do you realize what world "bribe" means ?
Why are you not angry at developers ?
Are you trying to say Epic forces everyone ?

Secondly we don't know if Rockstar even gets anything for picking only Epic store rather than steam.
They are big enough to completely not care about steam market because it is people who come to see them not the other way round.

Which means Steam could just have lost because of their cut. Much like EA doesn't sell games anymore on Steam.

If this is the case then you will still be angry ?

Last edited:
They are big enough to completely not care about steam market because it is people who come to see them not the other way round.

not to sure about that, they have sold way over 10 mill on steam alone ... old data now

Dontero

Banned
not to sure about that, they have sold way over 10 mill on steam alone ... old data now

What makes you think they won't sell 10mln on Epic ? GTA is the biggest game ever. It is people who come over to steam to buy gta not the other way around. If game wouldn't be available on steam no one would care and they would buy it from rockstarclub or any other place that offers it.

This is the same reason why Blizzard doesn't sell their games on steam or other platforms. They are big enough to not care.

Steam userbase for sales made sense when internet was not that popular and there were not many places to talk and see games. But now people don't have that problem and they pick and chose their games from outside of steam to be bough on steam or other platforms.

The best example of that is Satisfactory. Indie game that everyone predicted will fail after switching to Epic store due to lack of similar userbase, sold 500k+ few months ago. Which means most rage out there are just minority of butthurt people while everyone else ignores them and just buy games to play.

Denton

Do you realize what world "bribe" means ?
Why are you not angry at developers ?
Are you trying to say Epic forces everyone ?

Secondly we don't know if Rockstar even gets anything for picking only Epic store rather than steam.

Which means Steam could just have lost because of their cut. Much like EA doesn't sell games anymore on Steam.

If this is the case then you will still be angry ?
jesus christ don't take everything so seriously

It takes two to tango, Epic is the one who initiates it, developers take up the offer (and nobody is surprised by that)

Last edited:
Man this game. I tried like 5 times to get into it, I just could not. Something about the story being so boring, the controls which are some of the worst I have ever used. Sure the graphics and details are nice, but the game play was so sub par. Was so looking forward to this game, even bought a One X to play it in 4k but wow was it boring. Did anyone actually love the single player story?

cr0w

Old Member
Man this game. I tried like 5 times to get into it, I just could not. Something about the story being so boring, the controls which are some of the worst I have ever used. Sure the graphics and details are nice, but the game play was so sub par. Was so looking forward to this game, even bought a One X to play it in 4k but wow was it boring. Did anyone actually love the single player story?

*raises hand*

Arthur has become my favorite videogame protagonist of all time.

*raises hand*

Arthur has become my favorite videogame protagonist of all time.
I think I will try to give it another shot, but I gave it 9 or so hours and just the horse controls alone were driving me nuts. I really, really wanted to like it, the graphics and world are amazing.

cr0w

Old Member
I think I will try to give it another shot, but I gave it 9 or so hours and just the horse controls alone were driving me nuts. I really, really wanted to like it, the graphics and world are amazing.

It's definitely a slow burn, more so than anything else R* has put out to this point, but once the story gets moving it's one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. On the other hand, the game's willingness to slow down and just let the player be in the world is what really sucked me in. I could go full-bore and kill a shitload of O'Driscolls, or I could just go fishing, hunting or simply exploring. My gaming is generally late night after my wife goes to sleep, so having the option to just chill out and enjoy the world they crafted is a big selling point.

Top Bottom