• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Rumor* Resident Evil 2 Remake details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-...il-2-remake-to-be-best-looking-entry-to-date/

Our source is of the opinion that the game will be revealed at E3 next month, but they don’t know this for sure. This is based on their speculation given the targeted release timeframe. As with any rumor or leak, even one we’re confident enough to report on, take everything with a grain of salt.

According to our source, the Resident Evil 2 Remake will run on the RE Engine, but it’s been significantly optimized and upgraded with new tech, including an impressive revamped lighting and shadow system. It’s aiming for a solid 30fps at 1080p on a standard PS4 and 60fps at native 4k on a PS4 Pro. The engine loads different resolutions each time you enter a room, so some rooms may not always be native 4k, and assets may be dynamically scaled to keep it easy on the hardware. That said, the game will be the first Resident Evil title designed with a 4k resolution in mind, making it the best looking Capcom game to date, and it may be able to seriously compete with games like God of War in terms of visuals [Edit: GoW line is author’s speculation, not a statement from our source].

It uses photogrammetry scanning like Resident Evil 7 before it, meaning we may get to see a nearly photorealistic Raccoon City. Capcom apparently took note of fans’ confusion over RE7‘s version of Chris, though, because a great deal of effort has gone into making the characters look more like their original game counterparts. No word on Leon’s hair color yet, but we should get to see every glorious strand in 4k. As for Claire, we’ve also learned that she will sport a different outfit — ostensibly to modernize her very 90s fashion sensibilities — while retaining some similarities.

According to our source, the remake has been primarily designed with a camera akin to Resident Evil 4 in mind but a bit “stylized” in execution. Whether that means it will still incorporate the classic fixed camera somehow remains to be seen. Regardless, the game will keep its horror focus and classic Resident Evil design elements intact, according to our source.

Finally, our source says the game’s development brought in outside contractors who had worked on the series previously, including people who worked on Resident Evil 2 and 4. It will include campaigns for both Leon and Claire, but the game will overall be much longer than the original with lots of new content and areas.

• The game will run on an improved RE Engine with an impressive lighting engine
  • The game will be aiming for a solid 30fps at 1080p on a standard PS4 and 60fps at native 4k on a PS4 Pro. Apparently the engine has a dynamic resolution when going into different rooms to help performance.
  • The game is designed with 4K in mind, Meaning that the assets will be in Native 4K resolution
  • Apparently going to be the best looking Resident Evil game.
  • The camera is OTS but "stylized"...I guess we will find out soon enough.
  • It will use a photogrammetry scanning Technology just like RE7 , but they state that they learned a lot from the Chris fiasco.
  • Claire will have a different outfit while retaining it's familiarity
  • Capcom had brought in outside contractors who have worked on RE2 and RE4.
  • The game will include campaigns for both Leon and Claire, but despite the two campaigns the games length will be much longer than the original with additional areas.
  • Game sticks to horror and survival horror elements

Last edited:
  • The game will run on an improved RE Engine with an impressive lighting engine
  • The game will be aiming for a solid 30fps at 1080p on a standard PS4 and 60fps at native 4k on a PS4 Pro. Apparently the engine has a dynamic resolution when going into different rooms to help performance.
  • The game is designed with 4K in mind, Meaning that the assets will be in Native 4K resolution
  • Apparently going to be the best looking Resident Evil game.
  • The camera is OTS but "stylized"...I guess we will find out soon enough.
  • It will use a photogrammetry scanning Technology just like RE7 , but they state that they learned a lot from the Chris fiasco.
  • Claire will have a different outfit while retaining it's familiarity
  • Capcom had brought in outside contractors who have worked on RE2 and RE4.
  • The game will include campaigns for both Leon and Claire, but despite the two campaigns the games length will be much longer than the original with additional areas.
  • Game sticks to horror and survival horror elements

LUXURY

Lost me at Resident Evil 4 camera to be completely honest.

Also, the mere thought of them altering Claire Redfield's iconic outfit makes me sick to my stomach. First they hire a new voice actress, now potentially this? Nahh.

tumblr_inline_nnrprhcQWU1tqem84_500.jpg

And they can keep the Resident Evil 7 photogrammetry scanning.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Future DLC: Robert Kendo and Sherry Chapter... or at least i want it.

I have a bad feeling about Claire Costume classic will be in DLC.

demigod

Im calling bs on this rumor. Anyone can claim that it’ll be revealed at E3 since they aren’t even sure themselves. If the game can run 4k 60fps on the pro, it should be able to run at 1080p 60fps on base ps4. 0 chance that the visual would be on par with GoW.

Last edited:
Im calling bs on this rumor. Anyone can claim that it’ll be revealed at E3 since they aren’t even sure themselves. If the game can run 4k 60fps on the pro, it should be able to run at 1080p 60fps on base ps4. 0 chance that the visual would be on par with GoW.
Well things like graphics can certainly change. I remember originally Uncharted 4 they wanted to hit 60 but then they ended up making it 30fps. As far as visuals go people forget Capcom were one of the leading graphics pushers of the time.

Gamecube era we got this from them-

13240058_10208420767450187_4413492829489357856_n.jpg

tumblr_ojqzcu1ZXg1t66aclo1_540.gif

PS3 era we got this from them
resident-evil-5-gold-edition.jpg

and somehow this gen they give us a solid 60fps game that can also run VR and still produce visuals that look this good

resident-evil-vii-screenshot-41-800x450-c.jpg

Why would anyone doubt that they could put out a game that rivals the best looking games on the market with an updated version of their new engine that isn't being held back by VR?

Grinchy

Banned
I was kinda just hoping it would be like REmake, but with massively high poly characters, modern lighting, and 4K background assets.

eso76

. 0 chance that the visual would be on par with GoW.

If they're keeping the classic structure unaltered and the game still takes place in small-ish rooms the engine loads and handles separately, with 4/5 characters onscreen max ? then it could very well be the best looking thing on PS4. Easily.

Very few games these days have such a narrow focus allowing to concentrate resources on such limited, controlled scenarios.

If they're keeping the classic structure unaltered and the game still takes place in small-ish rooms the engine loads and handles separately, with 4/5 characters onscreen max ? then it could very well be the best looking thing on PS4. Easily.

Very few games these days have such a narrow focus allowing to concentrate resources on such limited, controlled scenarios.
That’s a very important point. Games like Horizon and god of war are big big worlds and they look good. What happens in a game the size of RE2? A more linear focused game? With smaller hubs? It’ll look damn good that’s what.

Last edited:

eso76

That’s a very important point. Games like Horizon and god of war are big big worlds and they look good. What happens in a game the size of RE2? A more linear focused game? With smaller hubs? It’ll look damn good that’s what.

The game engine is incredibly basic: the CPU will barely have anything to do and developers have the luxury of blowing the entire GPU budget on single rooms at a time, and a fixed, low number of characters onscreen.
From the hardware's perspective it's a little more than an interactive tech demo.
I am not saying it will, but it certainly could be the best looking game on the console by a fair margin.

Well this may be a taste of what to expect. One of the Capcom artists ( who’s working on RE2) did a demonstration on how to make a zombie model and this was the finished result

image.jpg

The Shepard

Well things like graphics can certainly change. I remember originally Uncharted 4 they wanted to hit 60 but then they ended up making it 30fps. As far as visuals go people forget Capcom were one of the leading graphics pushers of the time.

and somehow this gen they give us a solid 60fps game that can also run VR and still produce visuals that look this good

Why would anyone doubt that they could put out a game that rivals the best looking games on the market with an updated version of their new engine that isn't being held back by VR?

The game cube resident evil remake and zero always blew me away back in the day, the pre rendered backgrounds looked so good. Imagine what they'd look like on modern machines, a game built from the ground up, the character models would look insane.

TannerDemoz

Do we not think they'll have to vastly increase the number of enemies on screen if it's over the shoulder? Game will be too easy

sublimit

Banned
I'm curious about the "stylized" camera. I just hope they didn't do something stupid like making it first person when aiming your gun.

demigod

Native 4k is more taxing than 1080p, no reason why it can’t be 60fps. The fact that they say native 4k and then dynamic tells me they don’t know what the hell they’re talking about. RE7 was 60fps on both ps4 and pro but not native 4k.

Yeah RE4 was really impressive, hands down the best graphics of that gen to me. RE5 was good, i feel like RE6 was a huge downgrade in the graphics department.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member

Because its the internet, that's why.

I still can't get over the whole train sequence in RE0, still one of the most graphically impressive areas of a video game to this day.

I am disappointed the 2 remake isn't going to be like REmake and RE0, that specific style done with modern tech? Well I can only imagine it'd be basically photorealistic but people can't handle the fixed camera angles and "tank controls" even in the name of photorealism.

However they can get pretty close these days with regular graphics, RE7 has a pretty pre-rendered look to it just in actual 3D and in first person.

Vawn

Banned
Over the shoulder camera and different levels?

Oh fuck off. It isn't Resident Evil 2 then.

Thank you. I don't understand why developers don't understand what people want when asking for a remake of beloved game.

We want to re-experience the same game with modern visuals and QoL improvements with perhaps a few unexpected surprises. The first RE remake on GameCube was perfect. The modern remakes of Crash, Wonder Boy, Spyro are all more great examples.

If you are just going to try and make a new game that's like so many other new games with just the story/setting of a classic game, why bother? Just make Resident Evil 8. You're not remaking RE2 anyway (if these rumors are true).

But, it could be worse. It's not like Capcom is remaking a beloved turn-based rpg and turning it into an absurd looking action game and then deciding to turn that single game into three full action games. That would be crazy....

Aggelos

It's possible that this E3 might be the "where and when" the game is unveiled.
I really don't know what producer Kobayashi Hiroyuki was referring to when he said "soon"... Like 12 months is soon for him

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroyuki_Kobayashi_(producer)
Do you have any other upcoming projects youd like to tease?

Hiroyuki Kobayashi: The only thing I can tell you is about something thats already out in the public. Resident Evil 2, a remade version, the game, will be out from Capcom soon.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1393618
Be bound to remember that Jun Takeuchi (Head of Capcom Development Division 1) received a licker cake with the phrase "We do it" written for the 20th anniversary of Biohazard 2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jun_Takeuchi

Man, I need Dino Crisis 4 on RE Engine.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

The camera is fine if they make the enemies as deadly as they can be to counterbalance, and they absolutely reject the vomit that is QTE in RE4. If you can german suplex and roundhouse kick zombies, might as well call it something else, because it sure as hell ain't RE2.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The camera is fine if they make the enemies as deadly as they can be to counterbalance, and they absolutely reject the vomit that is QTE in RE4. If you can german suplex and roundhouse kick zombies, might as well call it something else, because it sure as hell ain't RE2.
I think it'll be more like dead space, there is nothing wrong with the camera

nkarafo

So the PS4 pro will get both 60fps AND 4k?

Didn't realize it's that more powerful than the base system.

Aggelos

I hope that happens. They could also remake the first game. New Jurassic World movie is coming so I'm sure people would buy dinosaur games.

I don't know why the folks at Capcom Japan didn't get the message with the commercial success of Jurassic World back in 2015, to create a new Dino Crisis sequel. Now Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom is almost around the corner, and the series Dino Crisis has taken its downfall to extinction. It's well on its way to Davy Jones' locker....
Thus, I surmise, if they initiated a Dino Crisis project back in 2015, then something could be unveiled this year (you know, today's games with the complexity, high standards, advanced game mechanics, enormous worlds and vast levels, huge project scope, photorealism, Hollywood-like cinematics and acting etc require a minimum of 4-year development cycle).
If, on the other hand, they didn't start working on anything Dino Crisis related, then we will never see any Dino Crisis.

Anyway, here's hoping for at least Biohazard 2 Remake for this E3.

Licker cake with "We do it" tag

DUsz5LPUMAEK7Ri.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know why the folks at Capcom Japan didn't get the message with the commercial success of Jurassic World back in 2015, to create a new Dino Crisis sequel. Now Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom is almost around the corner, and the series Dino Crisis has taken its downfall to extinction. It's well on its way to Davy Jones' locker....
Thus, I surmise, if they initiated a Dino Crisis project back in 2015, then something could be unveiled this year (you know, today's games with the complexity, high standards, advanced game mechanics, enormous worlds and vast levels, huge project scope, photorealism, Hollywood-like cinematics and acting etc require a minimum of 4-year development cycle).
If, on the other hand, they didn't start working on anything Dino Crisis related, then we will never see any Dino Crisis.

Anyway, here's hoping for at least Biohazard 2 Remake for this E3.

Licker cake with "We do it" tag

DUsz5LPUMAEK7Ri.jpg

I'd say the chances of a E3 showing are good. Hopefully it blows us all away.

Vawn

Banned
I think it'll be more like dead space, there is nothing wrong with the camera

I love Dead Space. But, I don't need Resident Evil 2 to be Dead Space. I want REmake 2 to give the same type of experience, but to look and sound as great as it can in 2018.

I promise if they ever remake Dead Space, I won't ask for it to have a fixed camera and tank controls either.

How about that zombie model tho?

It's definitely impressive.

Yeah, I can live with the camera but hopefully they'll leave the over the top action of 4 behind.

It made some sense for 4 because Leon was now a government agent, but in 2 he's a rookie cop, so he better not be roundhouse kicking anybody.

Vawn

Banned
Yeah, I can live with the camera but hopefully they'll leave the over the top action of 4 behind.

It made some sense for 4 because Leon was now a government agent, but in 2 he's a rookie cop, so he better not be roundhouse kicking anybody.

Yeah because as any seasoned officer can tell you, after enough time on the force your roundhouse becomes more lethal than your gun.

People should keep in mind that RE7 was first person and had precision aiming and slow molded enemies and yet it kept the Survival Horror standard intact. I wouldn't be concerned with the OTS but we all need to remember RE2 is the game that had this -

2718165-tumblr_mha9xkpuyt1qba4ipo1_500.gif

5CTVJLu.gif

Change the camera in these gifs to OTS and you'd feel like you were playing RE4 with zombies. So some of that RE4 DNA will just be natural because RE2 upped the enemy account and the powerful weapons.

Yeah because as any seasoned officer can tell you, after enough time on the force your roundhouse becomes more lethal than your gun.

Well since he was some sort of secret service agent in 4 then it makes sense he would have more training than a normal cop would ,especially a rookie.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Awesome! Now if only someone is kind enough to give Silent Hill the same treatment.
It sure as hell won't be Konami which has all rights. But yeah, SH1-3 would be amazing to have with modern VFX and maybe some minor tweaks when it comes to movement and combat.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
It sure as hell won't be Konami which has all rights. But yeah, SH1-3 would be amazing to have with modern VFX and maybe some minor tweaks when it comes to movement and combat.
:(

They'd remake them into pachinko machines.

If they haven't already.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
:(

They'd remake them into pachinko machines.

If they haven't already.
That's a lot more likely, yes.

Although.... for the reason unknown to anyone and like literally out of nowhere they're suddenly making ZOEII 4K remaster for current gen consoles and PC, so i guess everything is possible but at the same time let's not forget that they've made an extremely poor HD Collection for X360 and PS3 which (if i'm not mistaken) to this day haven't been fixed.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
These rumours are so wrong, that sadly they sound true... lol... I’ve lost al faith in Capcom this hen so far, not quite as much as Konami though.

But you can’t “remake” RE2 into a OTS style game. The layouts, the scales, none of it was designed for that. So the only way it would work is with massive changes. Enemy counts are too low as well, so that would get boring real quick unless you up the counts.

Yet if you’re making massive changes and changing everything this way... why bother? Just make a new game in the same setting.

RE2 deserves a remake like RE1, not some weird mix up of the stuff that made RE6 so stupid.

GrayChild

Gold Member
I don't think changing the camera perspective would be enough to ruin the game for itself.

The assumption that OTS camera system (or change in perspective altogether) equals more action-oriented gameplay and less emphasis on horror and survival has been debunked time and time again. RE7 was the proof that it's not necessary to have prerendered backgrounds and fixed camera angles in order to retain that old-school gameplay and atmosphere. Hell, there were never more than 3 enemies on-screen during the entire main campaign, unlike RE2 and RE3 which sometimes turned into shooting galleries.

Remember that Fatal Frame II also got remade with OTS camera, and the game didn't suffer from that.

KiteGr

As long as they don't try to make Leon to cool or anything I'm ok. Given the RE4, 5 and 6 tittles, it's seems it's an easy trap for them to fall.

But you can’t “remake” RE2 into a OTS style game. The layouts, the scales, none of it was designed for that. So the only way it would work is with massive changes. Enemy counts are too low as well, so that would get boring real quick unless you up the counts.

It's gonna be different but I don't see why they can't keep the same basic gist of the original game, start off on the streets of Racoon City, then the police station, sewers, underground lab etc.

Just all expanded and lengthened but still the same basic story beats with maybe a few all new sections throw in for good measure, ya know, much like REmake itself.

johntown

Banned
This sounds like a brand new game with a similar story as RE2. Not going to praise or criticize until I see it though.

This sounds like a brand new game with a similar story as RE2. Not going to praise or criticize until I see it though.
Yeah if they have to design it around OTS it is like a new game but your wait to see it approach is something i wish more people would do without going to meltdown mode :p

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
1080p/30fps on base console but 4k/60fps on pro? Yeah I'm skeptical of that. It's probably a dynamic res that will never come close to 4k.

1080p/30fps on base console but 4k/60fps on pro? Yeah I'm skeptical of that. It's probably a dynamic res that will never come close to 4k.
Cvxfreak on twitter said some of the rumors will be true and some not. I'm willing to bet that's one that isn't accurate. Maybe it was a goal they couldn't keep. 4k assets? Yes, but keeping 60fps? I don't think that will be happening. Since there's no mention of VR I assume they won't NEED to hit 60fps either so it might be taking the 30fps Uncharted approach to promote better visual fidelity.

Really hoping for a camera style similar to RE3.5

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom