• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Resident Evil 8 to be announced in the coming months, major departure in lore/bestiary, First Person, Cross-gen title

Nickolaidas

SOURCE: Dusk Golem (yeah, a lot of people are going to stop reading after that, though I consider him legit)

- Project started as Revelations 3, but decided to make it Resident Evil 8, in the end - characters and plot points changed to the point it became a mainline game instead of an AA title

- “Hallucinations, Occultism, insanity and not being able to trust others are huge thematics of the game. The rest I’ll leave to be revealed later this month, but the game I am incredibly excited about.”

- “[It] should be revealed within the next few months, it is first-person, and many purists are going to hate it because it’s taking some serious departures in the story/enemies and the like.”

- Cross-gen title

My opinion: I'm all-board for a new setting and bestiary as long as the game focuses on horror. The whole thing reminds me of the multiple takes RE4-to-be games took with some getting scrapped (Hookman demo) and others becoming their own thing (DMC) before the actual RE4 took off.

This resonates with some stuff that OsirisBlack hinted about a game with a monster with many eyes and bug-like attitude, getting cursed and the like. Curses and the Occult seem to go hand-in-hand most of the time. If ghosts and werewolves are somehow a thing, I'll cream my pants.

Cautiously excited as fuck (is that even a thing?)

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
“[It] should be revealed within the next few months
This alone makes me doubt the info. What does this even mean? Next 2 month? 4? 6? Trash, large-ass timeframes like these are common in fake leaks. Gives the "leaker" massive leeway to say, after pretty much reading the room (because at this point we all know the next RE game info will drop soon), everything his BS leak got wrong as "early dev and was changed" but look! It was announced A FEW MONTHS (read: random set of months) after the leak! So the leaker is totally valid!

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
After the huge success of RE7 I expect the follow two titles be similar.

They will probably made a even better first-person VR game.

SALMORE

Hallucinations , curses , occultism and buglike entities ... that's sound like a game based on a DMT trip 😉

I like the sound of everything except first person.

If REmake 2 and 3 have shown me anything, it's that VR does not make up for how much better this game is in traditional third person perspective. First person isn't scarier, it's just taking away peripheral vision, thus making it easier to have jump scares and harder to work out where the hell you are in an environment.

Reactions: Isa

Nickolaidas

Quoting Dusk from the ERA forums:
"Sales figures isn't what made this game. The development of this game is SO much more fascinating than many probably imagine, I'll love to talk about it in detail in the future but can't yet as it includes spoilers and some things better for someone else to reveal.

Essentially what happened is this game came into creation and was kept alive by pure passion of some of the devs. So this game was ORIGINALLY RE8, but in late 2017 it got turned into Rev 3 and stayed like that through most of development. A big reason the game did not go under was huge support by one of the series producers who kept pushing for this title to be made. Others in the company weren't as sure what fans of the franchise may think of it or that it might be "too weird" for Resident Evil.

But as Revelations 3 the game was 95% done late last year basically, it was fully playable and just being polished. They did some internal testing, and the reception to that was far, FAR more positive than they were expecting. People who didn't work on the game but work at Div 1 also played it and were surprised how good it came out.

The Ambassador Test held last year was to test it with more direct fans as they were toying with the idea of it being RE8, but they weren't sure what fans would think. However, the test, plus some other stuff (and especially the fact the other RE8 was years away from completion), meant Revelations 3 got an upgrade.

But the existence of the game has nothing to do with anything, it was a pure passion project by some people on the studio, which managed to be made and was originally kinda' thrown into a Revelations game as it's a side series, but due to circumstance and the actual quality of what was made, it gets a bigger chance to shine and gets an additional year to build onto it, polish it, etc."

GrayChild

Quoting Dusk from the ERA forums:
"Sales figures isn't what made this game. The development of this game is SO much more fascinating than many probably imagine, I'll love to talk about it in detail in the future but can't yet as it includes spoilers and some things better for someone else to reveal.

Essentially what happened is this game came into creation and was kept alive by pure passion of some of the devs. So this game was ORIGINALLY RE8, but in late 2017 it got turned into Rev 3 and stayed like that through most of development. A big reason the game did not go under was huge support by one of the series producers who kept pushing for this title to be made. Others in the company weren't as sure what fans of the franchise may think of it or that it might be "too weird" for Resident Evil.

But as Revelations 3 the game was 95% done late last year basically, it was fully playable and just being polished. They did some internal testing, and the reception to that was far, FAR more positive than they were expecting. People who didn't work on the game but work at Div 1 also played it and were surprised how good it came out.

The Ambassador Test held last year was to test it with more direct fans as they were toying with the idea of it being RE8, but they weren't sure what fans would think. However, the test, plus some other stuff (and especially the fact the other RE8 was years away from completion), meant Revelations 3 got an upgrade.

But the existence of the game has nothing to do with anything, it was a pure passion project by some people on the studio, which managed to be made and was originally kinda' thrown into a Revelations game as it's a side series, but due to circumstance and the actual quality of what was made, it gets a bigger chance to shine and gets an additional year to build onto it, polish it, etc."

Brought to you by the guy who claimed RE3 was so big, that Capcom had to implement fast travel feature by using the Raccoon City tram system.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Sounds the complete opposite of what Capcom said the future of RE is after the success of RE2 Remake.
My guess is that they're going to stick with both concepts. It would be the logical thing to do, offering fpp and tpp games will keep things fresh for a longer period of time.

Neff

Brought to you by the guy who claimed RE3 was so big, that Capcom had to implement fast travel feature by using the Raccoon City tram system.

Pretty much. A couple of years ago in the lead up to RE2make, I was hanging on this guy's every world divulged on low-key forums and chat rooms, but it's clear at this point that he's getting way more bogus info than legit. He may even be high on his own reputation and making shit up for all we know. It wouldn't be the first time prominent members of the RE community have done the same due to the famously nebulous developmental approach the series often takes.

Nero_PR

Banned
Maybe Capcom should be focusing on Dino Crisis Remake and Dragon's Dogma 2. We can wait for another mainline Resident Evil when they think about it thoroughly.

I doubt it would be announced in the next few months unless it was already ahead and was going to be announced at e3 or something, why announced something in a pandemic when eventually everything is going to get delayed

BlueAlpaca

I'm just finishing up REMAKE 2 claire second run and I don't think my heart can take another resident evil with tyrant-level horror. :messenger_anguished:

• LOL

MiguelItUp

Considering how different RE7 was/is, I'm more than okay with all of this.

I mean, if it's real of course. Golem feels like he's just rolling with almost anything he reads these days. At one point it felt like he posted less, but his posts were legit in the long run. Now it's just kind of feeling like homeboy is throwing spaghetti at the wall and hoping something sticks.

skneogaf

I'm only interested in resident evil 2 and 3 so I'm hoping one day to try to go back to what's left of raccoon city or a neighbouring city and find some more secrets and stuff.

I wish raccoon city wasn't destroyed as that forced the story away from the absolute best part of resident evil games.

Fushitsusha

Banned
Very curious to see what part 8 of the franchise will be like. First person and VR again would be interesting, while improving where 7 lacked.

Fushitsusha

Banned
Didn't this fella say a few months ago at most that RE8 was scrapped for a new version and to not expect anything soon?

He seems to contradict himself a lot.

Doom85

After the huge success of RE7 I expect the follow two titles be similar.

They will probably made a even better first-person VR game.

Arguable RE 2 Remake was a bigger success. RE 7 is leading in sales but it has a two year lead in terms of how long it's been out. It took 7 about 1.5 years to reach 5.7 million sales, while Resident Evil 2 Remake only took 11 months to reach 5.8 million sales. I'm hoping Capcom notices this, I don't mind first-person horror (though maybe write a more interesting lead, Ethan was bland as fuck compared to the Bakers) but third-person is definitely my preference.

And if Revelations 3 does come out (or a CV or 0 remake), I highly doubt those would be third-person. They could make 7 first-person because the backlash towards 6 made it easier to do such a drastic change (same thing with 4 since the prior game 0 was kinda met with a "eh, it's okay" response), but the Revelations series and the remakes have been generally well-received so I doubt Capcom would bother stirring things up with follow-ups to either of them since there's no need to do it.

Last edited:
Well, I enjoyed RE7 very much even though it had problems. But it was a great RE game.
So, if it's gonna be similar to that game, I'm down.
But if it's VR only, they can go fuck themselves.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Arguable RE 2 Remake was a bigger success. RE 7 is leading in sales but it has a two year lead in terms of how long it's been out. It took 7 about 1.5 years to reach 5.7 million sales, while Resident Evil 2 Remake only took 11 months to reach 5.8 million sales. I'm hoping Capcom notices this
They have noticed and they noticed the difference in development too, hence why I said this is the opposite of what they said the future of RE was going to be, because they found it in RE2 Remake.

martino

for me it's a nope then.

General capcom.Years ago you served with code veronica in the Diversity Wars. Now code veronica begs you to help it in his struggle against the FPS Empire. I regret that I am unable to convey code veronica's request to you in person, but its importance has fallen to low fame, and I'm afraid my mission to spread the love will never reach. I have placed this vital love to the survival of the diversity into this remake. History will know how to remember. You must see this remake safely delivered to the player on the next gen system. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Capcom. You're my only hope.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
It's amazing how Capcom resurrected RE with RE7 three years ago, are trying to cash in as much as possible quickly as possible and seem hellbent on fucking it up again. Taking Revelations 3 and rushing it into becoming RE 8 is fucking stupid. And if all those changes are accurate, it will be an easy pass for me as RE 7 was not only a disappointment for various reasons but in regards to the five survival horror games I played and completed this generation, it's ranked #5 so this will be an easy pass for me.

-MD-

The Revelations games were terrible so if this started out as one of those my expectations are low.

That and I honestly don't see a need for another first person RE game, RE7 was more than enough.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
"first person"
PoorDownrightGalapagoshawk-size_restricted.gif

dan76

I hope it's not first person. For me they've hit the nail on the head with these two recent remakes. I'd love them to continue on in the same way.

As good as RE7 was it was still let down in the last half by poor map design and a lack of enemies. Capcom need to overcome this streamlining that seems to happen the further you progress through an RE game. Same thing happened with REmake2 and the lab section.

Nickolaidas

It's amazing how Capcom resurrected RE with RE7 three years ago, are trying to cash in as much as possible quickly as possible and seem hellbent on fucking it up again. Taking Revelations 3 and rushing it into becoming RE 8 is fucking stupid. And if all those changes are accurate, it will be an easy pass for me as RE 7 was not only a disappointment for various reasons but in regards to the five survival horror games I played and completed this generation, it's ranked #5 so this will be an easy pass for me.
Capcom scrapping past project and rebranding them or turning them into something else isn't anything new. A scrapped RE4 project ended up as Devil May Cry, which basically became the "DOOM" of the 3rd person hack and slash games.

So don't sell the idea short. Something amazing may come out of this. A Resident Evil with ghosts and werewolves makes me excited and cannot wait to see and read more.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Arguable RE 2 Remake was a bigger success. RE 7 is leading in sales but it has a two year lead in terms of how long it's been out. It took 7 about 1.5 years to reach 5.7 million sales, while Resident Evil 2 Remake only took 11 months to reach 5.8 million sales. I'm hoping Capcom notices this, I don't mind first-person horror (though maybe write a more interesting lead, Ethan was bland as fuck compared to the Bakers) but third-person is definitely my preference.

And if Revelations 3 does come out (or a CV or 0 remake), I highly doubt those would be third-person. They could make 7 first-person because the backlash towards 6 made it easier to do such a drastic change (same thing with 4 since the prior game 0 was kinda met with a "eh, it's okay" response), but the Revelations series and the remakes have been generally well-received so I doubt Capcom would bother stirring things up with follow-ups to either of them since there's no need to do it.
REmare 2 sales won’t reach RE7 sales... it is a remake and not a new title after all.

RE7 is on track to become the second best selling games from Capcom ever.
Plus RE7 had a low budget compared with other RE games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I loved RE7. I also love RE2 and RE3 remakes, so I'd be down with either style.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Resident Evil needs to shield its self off it's crazy hardcore fans, after RE5 through 7 it seems they're open to new ideas for the franchise.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Didn't this fella say a few months ago at most that RE8 was scrapped for a new version and to not expect anything soon?

He seems to contradict himself a lot.
Yep. Plus he swore up and down that REmake 2 would let you pick between fixed camera angles and over the shoulder, and then there's the info he put out about Okami 2 being started and cancelled years ago despite them announcing less than 6 months ago that Okami was coming back. Don't know why people keep listening to anything he says.

He's so narcissistic and egotistical that during the great GAF purge he want back and edited a bunch of his posts to advertise he was going to ResetEra. Fuck him

Last edited:

-Troid-

Banned
meh, not really excited.

more excited for re4 remake at this point.

Idk considering how RE3make seems to be disappointing and corner cutting (by accounts of a significant amount of RE3 fans, I haven't played it yet; wating for a sale at this point), at this point I would be extremely skeptical of an RE4 remake. RE4 is already practically perfect them remaking it could make it worse.

If RE8 is a big departure I would welcome it as long as it wasn't super action packed or VR only for some reason; both of which I would doubt would be the case at this point.

Mato

REmare 2 sales won’t reach RE7 sales... it is a remake and not a new title after all.

RE7 is on track to become the second best selling games from Capcom ever.
Plus RE7 had a low budget compared with other RE games.

You can get RE7 from CDkeys for 7 euro. It's been aggressively discounted, more so than most other mainline games in the franchise, for most of its lifetime. I consider myself an RE fan and yet I haven't played the game because I find it far too morbid and borderline depressing. I really don't think the game's sales number are indicative of its impact.

Top Bottom