• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Rise of Tomb Raider PS4 will release Q4 2016 for $40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Won't care about it next year, but want about the Pc version ? Is it supposed to come at the same time or before?

Can't watch the video atm

aly

The "Xbox Exclusive | Holiday 2015" verbiage sprinkled on any mention of this game invalidates is rumor.

That was my line of thinking. If it was longer than at least 6 months, then why bother clarifying the Holiday 2015 part?

d00d3n

Game is designed to fail. It's going against to many other big games this holiday. CoD, Battlefront, Fallout...Nope.

Is Tomb Raider reboot aiming for the same target demographic as those? Seems like Tomb Raider is targeting casuals who like stuff like Assassin's Creed (which will likely have a weak release this year, may be start of serious decline for the series)

I can wait. Alot of games to burn through this holiday going into the next. But im not sure how its gonna fair out against the rest of the holiday lineup. Its gonna get killed out there.

Is Tomb Raider reboot aiming for the same target demographic as those? Seems like Tomb Raider is targeting casuals who like stuff like Assassin's Creed (which will likely have a weak release this year, may be start of serious decline for the series)

I don't think this is correct at all. Tomb Raider has massive, wide, mainstream appeal. This is inclusive to casuals, but not exclusive to.

Bloodrage

Banned
Ho care from now to 2017 (ps4 owners)

- batman
-untill dawn
-uncharted collection
-fallout 4
-ac syndicat
-witcher 3 expensions
-nfs
-battlefront
-mirror edge caralyste
-uncharted 4
-horizon
-last guardian
-mass effect ...
-dishonored 2
-doom
...list is long
Not sure how you failed to mention Persona 5, which I'll easily put 500 hours into, and is a more entertaining and interesting IP than the majority of the games on that list. But anyway, list wars is not what this thread is about. But I agree that Tomb Raider will get buried by Sony's 2016 lineup. Buried by Uncharted 4 hype alone, even.

sense

This does not mean a PS4 version, could end up like Dead Rising 3.

then why not say it is xbox exclusive for its lifetime like they did with titanfall? dead rising and ryse did not have a stigma surround whether it was exclusive or not and them repeatedly saying exclusive "holiday 2015"

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
With how heavily it's being pushed by MS, I can't believe people expected a shorter exclusivity period.

Averon

Don't really understand why MS bothered with this game. My only guess is that they got timed exclusivity when they thought Uncharted 4 was still releasing this fall and they wanted an XB1 exclusive answer to that game.

FelipeMGM

- batman
-untill dawn
-mgs v
-just cause 3
-hitman
-uncharted collection
-fallout 4
-ac syndicat
-witcher 3 expensions
-nfs
-battlefront
-mirror edge caralyste
-uncharted 4
-horizon
-last guardian
-mass effect ...
-dishonored 2
-doom
...list is long

And possible some JRPG like Persona and Tales. Maybe Bend's game and some other exclusives as well.

This game is going to have a hard time finding a good window to be releases on PS4.

d00d3n

I don't think this is correct at all. Tomb Raider has massive, wide, mainstream appeal. This is inclusive to casuals, but not exclusive to.

Well, my point was that casuals are not really catered for this holiday season, except the usual creed stuff. I think the game will sell well on xbone one*, despite the competition from the titles that were mentioned. As a side note, I am a huge fan of the Tomb Raider reboot.

*although this may not be enough due to the low sales of Xbox one hardware

Megatron

With Uncharted 4 launching in Q1 2016, it would be stupid to launch it for the PS4 in March or April. On the other hand, releasing the game a year after the Xbox One release would kill a lot of its sales potential - even for $40. It would actually be better to launch it before Uncharted 4. February. That would still give MS the holiday exclusivity.

Microsoft probably paid for more than 3 month exclusivity tho.

Well, my point was that casuals are not really catered for this holiday season, except the usual creed stuff. I think the game will sell well on xbone one*, despite the competition from the titles that were mentioned. As a side note, I am a huge fan of the Tomb Raider reboot.

*although this may not be enough due to the low sales of Xbox one hardware

I understand now, sorry, I read your comment a little sideways.

FHIZ

Eh, if true, fine by me. I could get it this year as I own both consoles, but knowing that a release like Fallout 4 is going to suck up my time, I can wait.

Kayant

With how heavily it's being pushed by MS, I can't believe people expected a shorter exclusivity period.

It does imply that the deal could be shorter given they are making such a deal about it being released in "Holiday 2015". Why otherwise highlight it so much?

nib95

Banned
According to my tag, it will have 6 months timed exclusivity. I guess we'll see. I wouldn't mind the game releasing later than that, at $40. At least that way they have more time to improve it, plus we may get added content, and it has the benefit of being out of the way of Uncharted 4.

Heartfyre

They've been so particular about saying it's exclusive for "Holiday 2015" that I'd be very, very surprised if it's not released on PS4 by the end of April. But it could always happen.

- batman
-untill dawn
-mgs v
-just cause 3
-hitman
-uncharted collection
-fallout 4
-ac syndicat
-witcher 3 expensions
-nfs
-battlefront