• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Rise of Tomb Raider PS4 will release Q4 2016 for $40.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoplay

Damn. 1 year exclusivity and u r dropping it on the day that Fallout 4 arrives. Not smart. They need to release it a week or two after.

NateDrake

These folks haven't exactly been reliable on recent rumors like the Silent Hills billion dollar sale to MS.

Still a timed-exclusive of one year seems probable.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
A year is pretty unexpected. Who knows what's releasing in that quarter. They're screwing tomb raider over if that's the case.

Gestault

I can't think of a reason a price drop would be pre-emptively telegraphed like this to leak in the first place, even if the plan is to price closer to a market-adjusted level for a secondary launch.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Didn't these guys leak Dark Souls 3 as well? Could be legit.

Sucks though. That's a full year almost. Hopefully it comes out on the PC before that.

Microsoft really pulled some strings here.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
These folks haven't exactly been reliable on recent rumors like the Silent Hills billion dollar sale to MS.

Still a timed-exclusive of one year seems probable.

With Uncharted 4 launching in Q1 2016, it would be stupid to launch it for the PS4 in March or April. On the other hand, releasing the game a year after the Xbox One release would kill a lot of its sales potential - even for $40. It would actually be better to launch it before Uncharted 4. February. That would still give MS the holiday exclusivity.

Horohoro

Didn't these guys leak Dark Souls 3 as well? Could be legit.

Sucks though. That's a full year almost. Hopefully it comes out on the PC before that.

Microsoft really pulled some strings here.

I still feel it went something like this

MS: Hahaha we'll take tomb raider from you.
Sony: We'll just take COD dlc then...

Shauni

People are surprised at a potential one-year wait? Seems pretty expected to me, timed exclusivity is usually a year most of the time, I thought.

Tovarisc

So first send it out against Fallout 4 by sharing release date and if this is legit then delay PS4, possible PC too, release by year just makes me think Squeenix wants this to fail in sales, hard.

The guys that said Xbox was buying PT ?

yeah ...

but they're probably right tbh. Q3/Q4 would be my bet. (I predict July/August tbh)

6 Months
Exclusivity ends in April
Announce in May
Release in July/August

"Square Enix planning to release Tomb Raider at a cheaper price"

Lol that's not happening.

Lettuce

Thought as much, seeings that they haven't given a concrete date for the PC version and they have yet to really even mentioned the existence of there 'being' a PS4 version i could easily see this being November 2016 time...bet thats when the GOTY edition is released

Has Square actual straight out said that its coming to the PS4, have they 100% confirmed there will be a PS4 version?

Winter of '16 looks to have even bigger titles than this year does, especially for PS4, so this seems considerably ill-thought out on their part. The price point may help that, especially if it's more like a GOTY package rather than just a late port.

sense

it is most likely coming before april 2016 imo

conspiracy hat on! lol what are the odds ms is the source and they "leaked" it to make people think it is arriving way later than people think so they buy an xbone this holiday

Two Words

I can't think of a reason a price drop would be pre-emptively telegraphed like this to leak in the first place, even if the plan is to price closer to a market-adjusted level for a secondary launch.

They certainly had to fully go over ROI when striking the timed exclusive deal. I'm sure a big part of that is how they will eventually sell it on PS4/PC.

With Uncharted 4 launching in Q1 2016, it would be stupid to launch it for the PS4 in March or April. On the other hand, releasing the game a year after the Xbox One release would kill a lot of its sales potential - even for $40.

they're releasing the xbone versopm on the day fallout 4 releases.

might as well go and release the ps4 version at the same time as uncharted 4.

Horohoro

The guys that said Xbox was buying PT for millions ?

yeah ...

but they're probably right tbh. Q3/Q4 would be my bet. (I predict July/August tbh)

6 Months
Exclusivity ends in April
Announce in May
Release in July/August

"Square Enix planning to release Tomb Raider at a cheaper price"

Lol that's not happening.

They were dead accurate about the dark souls 3 leak though...

Nick_C

Maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong. Their way if reporting news seems to be throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

They also killed most of their credibility with that Silent Hills rumor.

Gestault

Seems kinda long. And if so the price is WAAY too high. I just got TR on Steam for $4 and willing to wait just as long on the sequel.

There are signals that should tell you when you're not in the market for a game, at least on a level that matters for a publisher's pricing strategies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom