• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Rumor* Rocksteady Studios Next Project Will Be Announced In Q1 2019 or in the E3 2019.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/433415832

Let me preface this by saying I am not someone who is working on the game, but do know someone that is. I'll share all the details they have with me.

>Possible titles

Justice League: Crisis, Justice League: New Crisis, Justice League: Infinite Crisis

Seems they haven't settled on a title yet, but they have a new staple in Crisis. Kind of like how Arkham was to their Batman series.

>Developer

Rocksteady

>Systems

Xbox Scarlett/PS5/PC. You'll hear more details on Xbox's new system later this year with a full reveal early 2019. PS5 will be announced in early 2019 as well.

>Type

Single Player/Co-op. You can switch between characters like in Arkham Knight. The campaign can be played both ways, but there's also a different game mode catered to multiplayer.

Also, it's GaaS, so expect a ton of DLC content. They're gonna have something similar to Hitman with episodic DLC.

>Characters

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash(Pretty sure it's Wally), Green Lantern(Hal), Cyborg, Aquaman.

>Cities

Metropolis, Gotham, Keystone(why I said it's probably Wally), more others through DLC.

Each city is a bit bigger than AK, and just as detailed.

>Villains

Main big bad is Starro. As the episodic stuff rolls out you'll see Brainiac and even Darkseid.

>Story

All the heroes are pretty early on in their careers. Batman's still considered an urban legend to anyone outside of Gotham, Superman isn't the "world protector" yet, and WW is still on Themyscira. Aquaman's still in the sea, GL is in space, and Wally isn't even a hero yet.

>Gameplay

From what I hear, it plays just like the Arkham games, except more refined and "opened up". Guessing that's for the heroes that can fly and such.

>DLC

A lot of the DLC will have new cities and new playable characters. Green Arrow, Hawkgirl, Martian Manhunter and probably a lot more.

They're expecting this game to last for years, so I wouldn't be surprised if this game ended up being like Destiny in the sense that it gets updated constantly.

Dacon

Banned
That sounds waaaaaaaaaay too expansive in scope to be true.

I will shit my pants if it is though, I've been dreaming of a good JL game. Especially after the shit sandwich the DC cinematic universe is.

Sentenza

I will shit my pants if it is though, I've been dreaming of a good JL game. Especially after the shit sandwich the DC cinematic universe is.
About that, if any of this is true, I hope they'll go for their own version of these characters instead of borrowing from the movies.

P.S. "Several big cities each one as big as Gotham in the previous game" is the most suspicious part of this alleged leak.

Last edited:

Darak

I'm not sure how an open world game with side activities could fit a JLA game with coop or a switch character option. The heroes are way too different for any kind of mechanic that is not purely combat (and ever for that, you'd have to be completely inaccurate regarding power levels and such, and perhaps produce something like the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games).

Even if they really are making a JLA game, I wouldn't be very confident about them following the Arkham mold.

Yeah, it seems too massive to be true. It'd be really cool, but seems somewhat doubtful.

Having said that:
A lot of the DLC will have new cities and new playable characters. Green Arrow, Hawkgirl, Martian Manhunter and probably a lot more.

If that is true, I'm all over it. Starling City Vigilante here I come. Arkham combat would easily translate into an enjoyable Green Arrow experience.

Akuza89

While it sounds cool and I'd be interested in it...

didn't we basically get this in DC universe online? but we got to make our own heroes instead?

plushyp

Sounds way too ambitious and I'm a bit saddened that it takes place before the Arkham series given the timeline.

Has to be announced and released the same year right? Next year will be 4 years since their last full game and the longest they ever took between games was 2-3 years. If it’s a new IP I know that could take longer, but not unreasonable to think it could be ready by fall 2019 giving them about 4 and half years since Knight.

FranXico

It's a real shame that everyone only talks about the vehicle sections in Arkham Knight because otherwise it is the absolute pinnacle of the franchise. Makes the last games look like demos.
I think it's understandable that people talk about overused mechanics. It is commonly understood that were it not for the Batmobile abuse, the game would have been pretty much perfect.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I picked up the "Return to Arkham" games because it was $10. After finishing those two Ijumped into "Arkham Knight" again tonight.

Rocksteady has some serious chops and I can't wait to see what they have up their sleeve.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I don't give a flying fuck about this game if true. That kind of POS is not for me or for fans of Arkham series for that matter.

Last edited:
I got a crazy idea, why not just try.... rebooting Arkham Asylum?

The game is almost a decade old and technology has progressed enough that you could do new things, a new take on the same idea of focusing on and fleshing out Arkham Asylum as the setting, as the series went and the scale got bigger, something was lost, I miss that focus the first game had.

How about this, Batman is trapped on Arkham Asylum without any of his gadgets and has to just rely on his wits and fists to survive against 10,000 maniacs on the loose, imagine having to go up against Batman's rogues gallery without any gadgets.

Make it more of a stealth horror game, really play up the desperation of the situation, tell an all new story with that setting and sure, make Arkham Asylum bigger and grander than the first game but still keep that focus of fleshing Arkham Asylum out and making it feel like a real place.

Don't tell me that isn't a cool idea.

Oemenia

Banned
I think it's understandable that people talk about overused mechanics. It is commonly understood that were it not for the Batmobile abuse, the game would have been pretty much perfect.
Good point, but its mostly used in the side stuff which I felt were a lot of fun since the game has a really good reward system.

It could've had a few more dungeons but otherwise the entire experience was just thrilling with an excellent story on top.

Garibaldi

I got a crazy idea, why not just try.... rebooting Arkham Asylum?

The game is almost a decade old and technology has progressed enough that you could do new things, a new take on the same idea of focusing on and fleshing out Arkham Asylum as the setting, as the series went and the scale got bigger, something was lost, I miss that focus the first game had.

How about this, Batman is trapped on Arkham Asylum without any of his gadgets and has to just rely on his wits and fists to survive against 10,000 maniacs on the loose, imagine having to go up against Batman's rogues gallery without any gadgets.

Make it more of a stealth horror game, really play up the desperation of the situation, tell an all new story with that setting and sure, make Arkham Asylum bigger and grander than the first game but still keep that focus of fleshing Arkham Asylum out and making it feel like a real place.

Don't tell me that isn't a cool idea.

While I'd love a game back in the asylum and leaning on the horror/psychosis side would be great (Professor Pyg was scary as fuck in Knight when you think about what it would be like to be in that situation), I'm not keen on the no gadgets thing. 90% of the fun with the batman games for me is prepping out a predator encounter and using the gadget to wipe the floor with the goons. Knight is so good for this during the tower encounters once you are fully kitted up. More of that for me.

JaffeLion

Banned
so, we had announcement of announcements, now we have freaking RUMORS of announcements. the fuck is this shit? its getting ridiculous.

Stuart360

I know there is little chance of it happening but i'd love another Akham game by them, just with no Batmobile though

Zannegan

It might not be fair, especially with how huge this project allegedly is, but every time I hear about a singleplayer game with significant DLC to come later, my first thought is, "Guess I'll buy the complete collection in a year or two."

EDIT: I hope that was a controlled leak/misdirect, otherwise Mr. Stubbington is going to be out on his arse in short order, and who else will employ a leaky member to their QA team? Poor guy. When will game devs learn to just delete twitter the instant they get a job?

Last edited:

dottme

It might not be fair, especially with how huge this project allegedly is, but every time I hear about a singleplayer game with significant DLC to come later, my first thought is, "Guess I'll buy the complete collection in a year or two."

EDIT: I hope that was a controlled leak/misdirect, otherwise Mr. Stubbington is going to be out on his arse in short order, and who else will employ a leaky member to their QA team? Poor guy. When will gane devs learn to just delete twitter the instant they get a job?
We need those internet points.

However, what is weird is that he knows about the project before his first day at work.
I would imagine that normally, you joined, you sign all the NDAs and then they show you the project.

Skyfox

We need those internet points.

However, what is weird is that he knows about the project before his first day at work.
I would imagine that normally, you joined, you sign all the NDAs and then they show you the project.
I was at a stag recently and one of the guys made a comment about how the hotel pool had social media potential.

It’s so fucking pathetic to be in the real world doing ANYTHING interesting and for people to instantly start messing with their phones (and then get sucked into fiddling and scrolling on it).

Anyway, can’t wait for Justice League!

Zannegan

Um, wtf dude?
Era false-flagger who didn't get enough attention from his first account suicide. He's posting this same stuff in a bunch of threads. The mods will get to him in a minute, so just report and move on.

EDIT: Faster than I thought. Lol. Unfortunately a "mastermind" like that will have a couple of accounts and can probably create more pretty easily. His, uh, "just war" against the "racist hate hive," GAF will probably continue sporadically for a while yet, utterly convinced he's making a righteous point of some kind.

Last edited:

somerset

I feel sorry for anyone developing games for WB. They have great IP, but as a media giant WB is more incompetent today than ever. Look at how it allows its HBO division to stink up the final season of GOT for instance- or even close down that show when the fans (*and* the author) thought it had seasons of life left in it.

If WB can't manage its top rated TV show, imagine how things go down at Rocksteady. Avalanche lost Mad Max 2 cos the 'geniuses' at the top of WB couldn't figure out what to do with the Mad Max IP in general after the new film was well received after a terrible mis-managed production history. And since we are talking Justice League, did you know the man behind Mad Max was just about to start shooting a vastly better Justice League film than we eventually got (for a fraction of that flops budget) in Australia just before WB pulled the plug.

Rocksteady was a great studio- but making them do a *fourth* Batman game (Arkham Knight- origins was partially theirs due to using the same engine as the first two-tho mostly developed in Canada) was a massive mistake and kiiled all the energy. And, of course, the PC release of that game was one of the biggest disasters in AAA PC game publishing thanks to the disaster that is Nvidia Gameworks.

PS rumours say that the DC flavoured game that is Rocksteady's next is some sort of 'gaming as a service' horror. Which might explain how Justice League could even be a game- given the extreme limitations of even Batman Arkham Knight, and the fact that the new game still has to be current gen. The extreme secrecy is certainly very suspicious, as is the dev time for a game that if conventional, would be using much the same engine as BAK.

Personally I lost a lot of respect for Rocksteady with Arkham Knight. That title was wrong-headed in so many ways, when Origins (from the Canadian Team) was done for a fraction of the cost, in a fraction of the time, and was in my opinion (day one bugs aside) a better game.

Arkham Knight didn't even justify its budget and delays with content or world-building. Its big city felt small and claustrophobic. The story dull. The gimmicks OK (batmobile, fighting with Robins) but non-game changing. The visual refinements less impactful than early trailers suggested. And Origins had all the villain fights that Arkhan Knight for some inexplicable reason lacked.

I actually think more people are looking forward to the sequel to Origins ('Court of Owls'? another Batman title) from Canada than the next Rocksteady game.

Top Bottom