• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor Roundup: Sony's 1080p 5-inch flagships for Q1 2013 - Yuga & Odin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akira

I couldn't fall asleep earlier, so of course, the probable thing to do would be to make a 3D model of a smartphone. Decided to model the Odin and Yuga based on the leaked photos and see how they look while orbiting around them in 3D space. One interesting thing is that proportionally and because it's relatively fat at 9.8mm thick, the Odin looks like an enlarged iPhone 4 with a 5-inch screen (which is perfect for me as I am looking to upgrade from my iPhone 4 :D) On the other hand, the Yuga is tall and svelte like the Droid DNA because of its 8.1mm thickness and taller body.

Here is a screenshot of the model, Odin on the left and Yuga on the right. I'm sleepy now though, but I might do some renders tomorrow afternoon if I have time.

i4h9aWD3X2XpC.jpg

Futureman

I think the phones looks really nice and will be a great pickup for anyone, but I'm not so sure I'm seeing this being a BLOCKBUSTER phone for Sony like some here seem to think. That has more to do with marketing and consumer awareness, not sure if Sony has it in them.

Akira

Agreed, although that doesn't have any bearing on my excitement for this phone at all. :D I think they will probably be more successful with their Q4 2013 or 2014 flagship to be honest.

noobie

Banned
I couldn't fall asleep earlier, so of course, the probable thing to do would be to make a 3D model of a smartphone. Decided to model the Odin and Yuga based on the leaked photos and see how they look while orbiting around them in 3D space. One interesting thing is that proportionally and because it's relatively fat at 9.8mm thick, the Odin looks like an enlarged iPhone 4 with a 5-inch screen (which is perfect for me as I am looking to upgrade from my iPhone 4 :D) On the other hand, the Yuga is tall and svelte like the Droid DNA because of its 8.1mm thickness and taller body.

Here is a screenshot of the model, Odin on the left and Yuga on the right. I'm sleepy now though, but I might do some renders tomorrow afternoon if I have time.

i4h9aWD3X2XpC.jpg

Thats a very nice visualization. I think ODIN does look impressive... I think if they market it well they have a chance of having a major success with it.

Akira

Renders done. Sony Nexus 5 anyone? Also, I totally copied HTC's style of showing their phones. :D

ibvMNQ5EnYlwRR.jpg

ibi4tD8K2tNHnW.jpg

iVxVzphhzrOgt.jpg

i4XsUfEVMnRy2.jpg

Note: Not real renders, just speculative renders based on leaked photographs and rumors. The home screen is based on 4.1 Jelly Bean because of speculation that Sony could be releasing a really light skin, perhaps not even bothering with a skin at all.

Mario007

Renders done. Sony Nexus 5 anyone? Also, I totally copied HTC's style of showing their phones. :D

ibvMNQ5EnYlwRR.jpg

ibi4tD8K2tNHnW.jpg

iVxVzphhzrOgt.jpg

i4XsUfEVMnRy2.jpg

Note: Not real renders, just speculative renders based on leaked photographs and rumors. The home screen is based on 4.1 Jelly Bean because of speculation that Sony could be releasing a really light skin, perhaps not even bothering with a skin at all.
They are looking nice! Well done with the renders!

Still I'm a bit disappointed that there will be no NXT or Arc design, nothing really eye-catching about the phone. It starts to look like the old Galaxies and iPhone which is a shame, given Sony's design capabilities.

Radec

ibvMNQ5EnYlwRR.jpg

ibi4tD8K2tNHnW.jpg

iVxVzphhzrOgt.jpg

i4XsUfEVMnRy2.jpg

give this man a job.

Awesome man.

Desavona

They are looking nice! Well done with the renders!

Still I'm a bit disappointed that there will be no NXT or Arc design, nothing really eye-catching about the phone. It starts to look like the old Galaxies and iPhone which is a shame, given Sony's design capabilities.

Which Galaxy do you think it looks like?

Niks

Hopefully Sony pulls this off.
I love my GS3, but this one looks much nicer design wise (also the GS3 camera is crap)

Chinner

Banned
i really like the look of the odin. might be one of the phones i consider next year if i dont bother etting an iphone (likely)

Wow great job on the renders Akira. I could see it being pretty accurate, only thing that might be different is camera placement unless we already know that's how it will be.

13MP camera interest me. I wonder how fast 1080p will drain the battery. It's going to be an exciting time for phones next year hopefully because this year was kind of meh.

Desavona

S2 or Ace a little bit (obviously the display is much bigger etc)

Ah k you must be referring to some US variant of the S2? Those renders look nothing like an international S2 besides both having a screen on the front and being rectangular in shape.

Mario007

Ah k you must be referring to some US variant of the S2? Those renders look nothing like an international S2 besides both having a screen on the front and being rectangular in shape.
That's what I was kinda referring to, the rectangular shape is a bit too dull for me when considering the previous Xperia models.

img.php

got from esato

That looks a bit better, I guess.

noobie

Banned
Sony Xperia Odin gets detailed some more, starts to look less impressive

It’s pretty weird to say this about a device that’s not Samsung or Google-made, but Sony’s Xperia Odin looked like the most anticipated phone to get an early 2013 unveiling.

And we’re not saying that just because the handheld has been extensively making the rumor rounds of late, but also because the rumors revealed a lot of juicy things.

Unfortunately, that might as well come to an end today when we’re hearing the first less than impressive story about the Odin. The phone was spotted in an AnTuTu benchmark test and, based on that, we’re starting to doubt it will equipped with the early rumored quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro CPU.

The Odin only scored a total of 8,753 points in AnTuTu, which is not only less than impressive, but mediocre altogether. For comparison, we’ve seen the quad-core LG Optimus G and Samsung Galaxy Note 2 score over 13,500 in the same benchmark, so chances are Sony’s “flagship” will only be a dual-core device after all.

Then again, it’s possible this is just a testing unit of the Odin, but if that’s the case Sony has a lot of work to do and an early 2013 release becomes unlikely.

On the flip side (there is one), it seems that the Xperia Odin will still come with 2 GB of RAM, 32 GB of on-board storage, microSD support, a 5-inch full HD display, a 13 MP rear-facing shooter, a 2,370 mAh battery and Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean, all of which are top-tier specs. But will those be enough to make up for the supposed low performance of this big guy’s chip? We can only wait and see.

I'm in Europe. I can get TX for 465€, T is 495€. I hope it won't go far above that.

I think it will be closer to €600 on the continent. Don't forget that this is Sony's first phone to compete in the highest category. All their other phones before Odin are mid-high rather than balls to the wall high end.

Zeth

Better to release early as possible to get away from GS4. Design looks much better than the rounded bulbous Samsung stuff. More like Apple, and very classy/professional looking.

noobie

Banned
Sony Xperia V Available for Christmas in Europe

Sony Xperia V is going to be available in parts of Europe by December, according to a statement by Sony Russia. This phone will now work on the Android Jelly Bean and it will be available at a retail price of 24,990 RUB or $805. However, the price of the Xperia V is likely to go down after launch.

At the same time, the Sony Xperia V will be available in some markets, such as France, only in January. Currently, the handset uses Android Ice Cream Sandwich, which will be available till the new version of the phone is available. Sony had announced the launch of Xperia V in August 2012 along with Xperia T and Xperia J. Xperia V is a dust-proof and waterproof phone with a 4.3 inch scratch-resistant display. With LTE connectivity, 13MP rear camera with LED flash it is going to be a worthy buy.

Knight77

Wait Odin/Yuga or buy now a Padfone 2 at 200€ less than the official price? I mean new and only the phone....Honestly I'm tempted but...looks bigger than it could be (lot of bezel to keep the soft touch buttons + Asus logo), no led status and material of the back side not really nice, a part this great brand, specs and nice price offer.

What do you think GAF?

Mario007

Wait Odin/Yuga or buy now a Padfone 2 at 200€ less than the official price? I mean new and only the phone....Honestly I'm tempted but...looks bigger than it could be (lot of bezel to keep the soft touch buttons + Asus logo), no led status and material of the back side not really nice, a part this great brand, specs and nice price offer.

What do you think GAF?
DO you care about android updates on time? Because Asus is absolutely amazing with the software updates.

Knight77

DO you care about android updates on time? Because Asus is absolutely amazing with the software updates.

Honestly I do care. I mean I have a Sony Xperia S and I love the UI but really piss me off the fact that is not yet updated to Jelly Bean and they "plan" to do that in Q1 2013... what in the hell, how long after the Google official release? About 7 months? C'mon...

noobie

Banned

What do you think GAF?

Padphone and these mobiles cater to different usage. I mean i dont see them belonging to same category. i think question should be do you really need Padphone or ur usage belongs to a phone

Mario007

Honestly I do care. I mean I have a Sony Xperia S and I love the UI but really piss me off the fact that is not yet updated to Jelly Bean and they "plan" to do that in Q1 2013... what in the hell, how long after the Google official release? About 7 months? C'mon...
Well the S is supposed to get vanilla updates from Google fairly soon, as far as I know.

To be honest, I have both a Sony Erricson phone and an Asus tablet. I love the UI of Sony/SE phones and the software optimisation that makes the Arc S run almost as smooth as Galaxy S2 or even beter than Motorola RAZR.So I wouldn't change that for an Asus phone at all, even if it's going to be stuck on ICS.

The Transformer tablet that I have though, is pretty amazing too. It's already running 4.1 Jellybean and word on the street is Asus is already working on 4.2 That's some great speed. I also like the concept of a laptop and a tablet at the same time that the Transfomer line has.

Overall, I'd say if you want and plan on buying all the accessories for the padphone down the road, then padphone is your answer. Otherwise I'd stick with Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom