• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: SEGA no longer having a booth at E3 2016

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Today, on May 17, 2016, when I checked the booth listing via the Buyer Connect platform of E3 2016, I noticed that the SEGA Europe listing had been updated. When I checked a few days ago, on May 10, it simply said for booth TBD (To Be Determined). Now it says OFMR 841. The Buyer Connect platform lists only one space for each "participating company", regardless of that particular company has booked multiple booths. This listing appears to be sorted in ascending order alphabetically. For example, Sony Interactive Entertainment America has multiple booths and meeting rooms booked, but the listing shows only booth 4044 (the others being 4144 and 4522).

The preliminary floor plans I posted in March showed that SEGA had booth 5010 (40 ft x 40 ft, 1600 sq ft) in West Hall. This I believe would have been listed on Buyer Connect if SEGA still was in possession of that space. Anyway, this is a screenshot of SEGA Europe's profile on Buyer Connect as of May 17, 2016:

segaboothgbumc.png

A different screenshot of Buyer Connect, just for reference:

Source: https://www.compusystems.com/servlet/MyExhibitorsServlet?action=getBuyerConnectMyExhibitors#

Buyer Connect requires a login.

Note that many companies have yet to be assigned booth(s)/meeting space, so I'm labeling this as a rumor. Also because the floor plans are currently behind a 302 Found (redirection), so I cannot confirm this fully. The floor plans should become available at the latest June 1.

SEGA Europe's profile on the main E3 site: http://pr311jm731.mapyourshow.com/6_0/exhibitor/exhibitor-details.cfm?ExhID=seg0455

yami4ct

Makes a decent amount of sense. What does Sega have to show anymore? Their PC franchise probably can be marketed directly to their consumer rather than a trade show. Sonic can be at platform holder booths. Any of their niche franchises can be shown off by Atlus.

TreIII

Makes a decent amount of sense. What does Sega have to show anymore? Their PC franchise probably can be marketed directly to their consumer rather than a trade show. Sonic can be at platform holder booths. Any of their niche franchises can be shown off by Atlus.

For that matter...isn't Sonic having its own anniversary event later this summer?

Huge Sega fan growing up, idolised them through the 90s, gutted when the DC got pulled.

I can honestly say a company has never made me feel such joy, along with such sadness and disgust, all at the same time. God damn.. Sega and Atari.. What the fuck happened to you.

yami4ct

For that matter...isn't Sonic having its own anniversary event later this summer?

I think you're right. They probably will hold any major sonic announcement for that. Would explain why there's no Sonic at the Nintendo booth, given Nintendo and Sega seem to have a good relationship when it comes to that property.

Most companies probably don't have games that will grab major headlines at E3. Why put up the money and time if it isn't going to be talked about?

It is better to hold your own events at a different date so you won't be drowned out.

Shadoken

Wait didnt Sega announce this a while back? That they are not going to have a booth because of the move from SF to LA , and that the Atlus booth is going to have their games.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Wait didnt Sega announce this a while back? That they are not going to have a booth because of the move from SF to LA , and that the Atlus booth is going to have their games.
That was last year.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm also going to throw out there (in big part due to the response after mine above) that people's attitudes towards SEGA of the last 8 years is exaggerated. SEGA at their worst was the mid 2000s, the SEGA of the last 8 years have made some of the best underrated gems of the last console generation and have given good support to their classics and small endeavors. For their releases, ranging from the Yakuza series, Valkyria Chronicles, Binary Domain, Rhythm Thief, they helped push Platinum Games on the map by working with and publishing their first few games in Bayonetta, Vanquish, Mad World, and the like. They made Sonic Generations & Colors, they have given a home for the Warhammer & Total War games and Atlus, made things like Alien Isolation happen, they have good PC support, have niche gems like House of the Dead Overkill, Disney Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, and the Hatsune Miku games under their belts, among other things.

I'm not saying they're at the top of their game, and some bad things happened under them in that frame too (the two I can think of off the top being letting Sonic Boom be done by Big Red Button, and not bringing Phantasy Star Online 2 to the west, but I digress), but I think people take some weird stance on them often despite so many things.

Next you'll tell me Konami wont have a booth either.
My last E3 was two years ago. Konami had a big booth with absolutely nothing in it to play. No special theater demo. They might have had a tv showing a Metal Gear trailer but that's it. You could see in the vip area they had soccer. But that's it.

Basically Konami was dead to E3 show goers two years ago. Without Kojima they are likely dead even to press and vip.

Won't be TOO much different than their sideshow booth in hallway between the main attractions, I guess.

Honestly E3 is on its way out, or should be. Outdated concept.

ShadiWulf

I dont think there is any reason to be disappointed if this is true, unless you were excited to see SEGA Europe PC games.

Sounds like all of SEGA's other games will be in Atlus booth

phanphare

Banned
Won't be TOO much different than their sideshow booth in hallway between the main attractions, I guess.

Honestly E3 is on its way out, or should be. Outdated concept.

the trade-show aspect isn't outdated at all, it's all the fluff surrounding the trade-show that's outdated

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I wonder just how bad the Sega money troubles are these days. The Anarchy Reigns stuff was a very weird wake up call.

My last E3 was two years ago. Konami had a big booth with absolutely nothing in it to play. No special theater demo. They might have had a tv showing a Metal Gear trailer but that's it. You could see in the vip area they had soccer. But that's it.

Basically Konami was dead to E3 show goers two years ago. Without Kojima they are likely dead even to press and vip.

Actually last year you didn't missed it much, there space was basically an heliport to watch the MGS V trailer and some TV's to watch PES trailers. It was the saddest showing I saw at the event.

Considering that this year the only thing for sure Konami has it's the next PES; it wouldn't surprise a no show sooner than later.

the trade-show aspect isn't outdated at all, it's all the fluff surrounding the trade-show that's outdated
Yeah, trade shows make sense for industry people. Getting them all ine one place to try a bunch of upcoming stuff isn't outdated.

For a consumer though, its pretty useless outside of the impressions from the media outlets. We only get video and a stage presentation and with the internet we could get that at any time of the year.

The hell? C'mon Sega, I thought you said you were considering checking back into your older IP and fixing your mistakes and taking the fans for granted!

I mean, that could all still be true of course, but it just means one less thing to look forward to at E3 this year :(

I wonder just how bad the Sega money troubles are these days. The Anarchy Reigns stuff was a very weird wake up call.
I don't think money is the issue here, actually. They simply just don't seem to have anything ready enough to show off there, or they're thinking E3 isn't worth it.

Which sucks, because that seems to be a growing trend.

Aki-at

I'll assume that Yakuza 0 and Miku are going to be at the Atlus booth, whilst SEGA Europe's biggest game this year is going to be released this month (Warhammer) so I guess they opted out of it. Since they're more PC centric, seems the route they'll be going down is letting Atlus show off their niche Japanese products but still turn up at the European conventions since they're more PC friendly.

Though, might rule out a Sonic game this year I feel.

They don't have any money issues.

I'm not super surprised, because Sega only has stuff that's A) probably not going to get released in the US, B) that could be shown off at Atlus's booth because it's not big enough to deserve more attention, and C) nowhere near being presentable. If they had a stronger lineup this year, it might be worth having their own booth and making Atlus present in there, but this year, their release slate is... what, P5, Yakuza Zero, their soccer game, and Valkyria: Azure Revolution?

yami4ct

This is the first E3 I'm kinda scared to attend. Every year it keeps getting worse.

It's normalizing itself into a trade show instead of a big dumb advertising announcement special. The ESA probably won't like the loss of excitement, but it's likely the best thing for all the publishers involved and better for E3's long term stability.

Shadoken

I think someone needs a wakeup call on how big other gaming models/markets have become compared to Consoles/AAA. They are actually very profitable and have huge cash reserves.

Shadoken

I'm not super surprised, because Sega only has stuff that's A) probably not going to get released in the US, B) that could be shown off at Atlus's booth because it's not big enough to deserve more attention, and C) nowhere near being presentable. If they had a stronger lineup this year, it might be worth having their own booth and making Atlus present in there, but this year, their release slate is... what, P5, Yakuza Zero, their soccer game, and Valkyria: Azure Revolution?

Yea the only dev teams they have that would have stuff presentable at E3 is CA,Relic and Sonic Team. And it doesn't look like they have anything to show.

Their Japanese titles is well suited to be displayed at the Atlus booth.

Top Bottom