• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: SEGA no longer having a booth at E3 2016

I'm not super surprised, because Sega only has stuff that's A) probably not going to get released in the US, B) that could be shown off at Atlus's booth because it's not big enough to deserve more attention, and C) nowhere near being presentable. If they had a stronger lineup this year, it might be worth having their own booth and making Atlus present in there, but this year, their release slate is... what, P5, Yakuza Zero, their soccer game, and Valkyria: Azure Revolution?

Dawn of War III, but that might be better off at Gamescom perhaps. E3 has traditionally been very heavy on consoles, last year's "PC conference" notwithstanding.

Oh wait, never mind, you said releasing this year. They could still potentially show DOW3 though, I think there are already screenshots out.

KingJ2002

Sega, Konami and Nintendo having next to nothing to show at e3 this year.

It's crazy how things can change in a couple of years.

yami4ct

What does Atlus even have to show for?

This year is actually pretty big for them. They have Persona, SMTIV:A, #FE, and Odin Sphere off the top of my head and they'll be showing off some of Sega's titles like Yakuza Zero. You can add titles they might announce for localization like Etrian Odyssey V and whatever weird small things they might be picking up to publish.

Spaghetti

I don't see why they'd need one to be honest, so this is probably a smart financial move.

Seems a big expense when they can just piggy-back their software at platform holder and ATLUS booths.

FluxWaveZ

This year is actually pretty big for them. They have Persona, SMTIV:A, FE#, and Odin Sphere off the top of my head and they'll be showing off some of Sega's titles like Yakuza Zero.

Atlus USA won't be showing off #FE, though. That game won't be at E3 at all because of Nintendo's proclivities.

Village

" all we got is sonic do we need a booth"

" nah all they are going to do is complain it isn't clas... .damn they'll complain that classic sonic was never good either"

" Well fuck it, we will hold or own event. With boost pads, and chilidogs"

I'm assuming that's how that convo went.

They could still potentially show DOW3 though, I think there are already screenshots out.

Sega looks like it's only showing 1 Strategy game at a time. We wont see anything of DOW3 until halo wars 2 comes out, and we wont see anything of halo wars 2 until total war : warhammer is released.

yami4ct

Atlus USA won't be showing off #FE, though. That game won't be at E3 at all because of Nintendo's proclivities.

They aren't? Huh. Well, I guess it's releasing that month anyway so it doesn't necessarily need the E3 push even if it might help a bit.

They still have a pretty big year for them regardless even if you disregard exactly how huge P5 is.

FluxWaveZ

They aren't? Huh. Well, I guess it's releasing that month anyway so it doesn't necessarily need the E3 push even if it might help a bit.

They still have a pretty big year for them regardless even if you disregard exactly how huge P5 is.

People get confused about #FE's situation, but that game has never been publicized by Atlus USA because Nintendo is the publisher and the one actually backing the project and advertising it. They're only gonna be showing off Zelda, though, so #FE presumably won't be at E3, even though it releases later that month.

yami4ct

People get confused about #FE's situation, but that game has never been publicized by Atlus USA because Nintendo is the publisher and the one actually backing the project and advertising it. They're only gonna be showing off Zelda, though, so #FE presumably won't be at E3, even though it releases later that month.

I know Nintendo is publishing it, but I thought it might show up since Atlus is doing the localization. Since their job on it is presumably kind of done and paid for, I guess they don't need to give it the space. Game is in a really weird space.

Parsnip

Maybe they'll pop up on the PC gamer show.
If anyone is going to show Halo Wars 2 it's going to MS, so maybe Sega shows some Dawn of War.

Or who knows, they could have a surprise up their sleeve.

This is the first E3 I'm kinda scared to attend. Every year it keeps getting worse.
As a regular attendee (i.e. not press), I've skipped E3 since 2012.

No regrets. I much prefer to consume the news at home. Pizza, beer, comfy couch, fuck yeah.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think someone needs a wakeup call on how big other gaming models/markets have become compared to Consoles/AAA. They are actually very profitable and have huge cash reserves.

Oh sure, the Sammy side and everything is considerably sized and flush. There's no debating the Sega arm has downsized dramatically in the last decade. There have been lots of "moneys tight" stories about them over the last 5 years.

Heres one just from a couple months ago where now theyre shedding the mobile arm:
http://www.develop-online.net/news/...design-as-part-of-sega-mobile-layoffs/0217523
which of course comes a year after the turn to focus on pc and mobile after a large 300-person shedding and shuttering:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sega-to-axe-300-jobs-as-focus-turns-to-pc-and-mobi/1100-6424996/

Pleeeeeeenty of money.

Be fair - if I were working for Nintendo, I wouldn't want to put the game that appears to reinforce all the negative stereotypes about Japanese media in front of tons of media and industry people either.

Zolo

I know Nintendo is publishing it, but I thought it might show up since Atlus is doing the localization. Since their job on it is presumably kind of done and paid for, I guess they don't need to give it the space. Game is in a really weird space.
At this point, Atlus doesn't really get anything from showing it. They've already been paid to make and localize the game. At best, the collaboration may have meant more collaborations in the future along with a franchise, but with it doing abysmal numbers in Japan, it would have to do miraculous numbers in the west to have any real positive effect.

Be fair - if I were working for Nintendo, I wouldn't want to put the game that appears to reinforce all the negative stereotypes about Japanese media in front of tons of media and industry people either.

They probably shouldn't have funded and published the game then if they didn't plan on marketing it at all. Especially at an anticipated event when you don't have much to show off.

Oh sure, the Sammy side and everything is considerably sized and flush. There's no debating the Sega arm has downsized dramatically in the last decade. There have been lots of "moneys tight" stories about them over the last 5 years.

Heres one just from a couple months ago where now theyre shedding the mobile arm:
http://www.develop-online.net/news/...design-as-part-of-sega-mobile-layoffs/0217523
which of course comes a year after the turn to focus on pc and mobile after a large 300-person shedding and shuttering:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sega-to-axe-300-jobs-as-focus-turns-to-pc-and-mobi/1100-6424996/

Pleeeeeeenty of money.

Sounds to me those changes were made in anticipation for a strategic shift in market priority. It's not any different than the handful of studios Sony and Microsoft have shut down in the same span of time; companies do this sort of thing regularly.

Also doesn't change the fact that with all the sides factored in, the company as a whole is doing relatively well. Hopefully we see more of a resurgence on the Sega side with serious classic and new IP investment soon, preferably on the console and PC digital storefront side.

Menitta

" all we got is sonic do we need a booth"

" nah all they are going to do is complain it isn't clas... .damn they'll complain that classic sonic was never good either"

" Well fuck it, we will hold or own event. With boost pads, and chilidogs"

I'm assuming that's how that convo went.

I wonder if Nintendo ever thought "All we have is Zelda. Do we need a booth?"

jP0wgRo.jpg

Time to spend 100k on a booth for Sonic Boom 3

Atomski

So how many more are going decide to not to go to E3 or have shit showings in the future.
It's just making less and less sense these days.

Not to mention if you aren't in the big threes press conference your game just gets burried alive in news. It's better to just do a press release, trailer, go to community sites and smaller expos.. For a fraction of the price of E3.

starmud

Didn't they just announce a huge list of sonic is 25 promotions and products? Would be kind of odd to not kick it off at e3... Given the anniversary it's hard to see not some sort of representation this year

Bust Nak

Have you considered these are the reason SEGA have pleeeeeeenty of money? Cutting the fat and doubling down on profit makers?

pswii60

Huge Sega fan growing up, idolised them through the 90s, gutted when the DC got pulled.

I can honestly say a company has never made me feel such joy, along with such sadness and disgust, all at the same time. God damn.. Sega and Atari.. What the fuck happened to you.
Sega is only a name since they restructured the development teams and all the talent walked after the bout of Xbox exclusives.

They're sitting on such an incredible amount of amazing IP. Just wish another publisher could buy them out at this stage and do something wonderful with it.

Well, they have Atlus now. Hopefully that still leaves the possibility of Sega announcements (i.e. localizations of Valkyrie Azure Revolution and 13 Sentinels).

I'd like to see more companies take this route. In this day and age, it's simply too easy to get information to everyone. Anyone who goes to E3 likely also would be people who would check press releases or online events by publishers/developers.

Top Bottom