• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Shadow of the Tomb Raider leaked [Up: Kotaku says real, by Eidos Montreal]

Nheco

I'll create a single slide with a poorly made Half Life 3 logo, put my notebook in my lap and take a shit blurred as fuck low res picture.

SOME MEN JUST WANT TO WATCH THE WORLD BURN

Harlequin

Don't agree. Could never get into Uncharted, mainly due to the cliché characters, but loved the Tomb Raider.

Really, you thought Uncharted's characters were cheesy but didn't have a problem with the Tomb Raider reboot's characters? I mean, to each their own but the supporting cast in the TR reboot were stereotypical, two-dimensional cardboard cut-outs. Uncharted's characters may be clichéd but they at least have some depth and are well-developed.

They'd be crazy to do that again.

They were crazy to do it in the first place.

DONFTkV.gif

lol come on man, you're giving away your gimmick
No gimmick! Legit feelings!

Real talk: I have no interest in the franchise, but I clicked the title because I liked the name and thought it was badass. Then I read the OP and thought it was a cute story, so I thought I'd give some input!

Harlequin

Didn't we already go through it in the last game?

I barely remember the story but something something dad was involved something something I'll kill you.

There was some of it but you have to keep in mind that Crystal managed to stretch out the parent drama over three games before the reboot. I thought they'd be smart enough not to even bring it up again in the reboot but now that they've opened Pandora's box in Rise, I'm just going to assume we'll see a repeat of the Legend/Anniversary/Underworld family drama bullshit.

We just had Rise of the Tomb Raider. Shouldn't it just be The Tomb Raider?

That's supposedly the title of the upcoming film, actually.

CD please no more pointless upgrades, abilities and side missions in your next game

I fear they are going to just scale that stuff up. In the first game they were alright along with the collectibles but then they went full retard with Rise and just started dumping shit everywhere. They need to trim the hell out of that crap because it just bogged down the game, I thought the first is far more replayable because it is more lean and doesn't have flashing collectibles every 5 feet.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Was kinda hoping they would move away from the "___ of the Tomb Raider" at some point. Rise of sounded so weird.

bigmac996

Really, you thought Uncharted's characters were cheesy but didn't have a problem with the Tomb Raider reboot's characters? I mean, to each their own but the supporting cast in the TR reboot were stereotypical, two-dimensional cardboard cut-outs. Uncharted's characters may be clichéd but they at least have some depth and are well-developed.

Totally agree. Uncharted and Tomb Raider's characters may have been cut from the same cloth, but Uncharted did a way better job adding depth and nuance to them, particularly in 4. I can't recall a single side character from the last two Tomb Raider games that isn't the main villain.

JaseMath

Kinda OT, but is Rise of the Tomb Raider as ridiculous as the first? The story was terrible and it felt like too much like an Uncharted try-hard. I'm kind of interested if it's better or not.

dreamfall

That was the point of the game - to set up the whole father thing for future games.

I felt like the Croft Manor DLC explored her mother and father's relationship and it was a nice change of pace just picking documents up, but we're done! NO MORE!

Harlequin

Kinda OT, but is Rise of the Tomb Raider as ridiculous as the first? The story was terrible and it felt like too much like an Uncharted try-hard. I'm kind of interested if it's better or not.

It's pretty much the same with a few added moves, slightly bigger puzzles and optional tombs and even more useless collectibles. It feels a tiny bit more like an actual Tomb Raider game than the first one but for the most part, it's just more of the same (including the terrible story).

TaterTots

Banned
I don't know if that's real, but I wouldn't doubt if they are aiming for a trilogy. The first two entries were phenomenal, so I would be down.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
I fear they are going to just scale that stuff up. In the first game they were alright along with the collectibles but then they went full retard with Rise and just started dumping shit everywhere. They need to trim the hell out of that crap because it just bogged down the game, I thought the first is far more replayable because it is more lean and doesn't have flashing collectibles every 5 feet.
Agreed TR 2013 also has better locations( Soviet installation and geothermal valley are both meh) and sense of place

Anyone else read it as "How is FEAR applied to traversal"?

The F.E.A.R. X Tomb Raider cross over game we never knew we all wanted. Lara V Alma. lol

Wonder which company is going to moneyhat this game, because "it couldn't exist without them stepping in and funding it."

Hopefully Square has finally realized that TR doesn't need deals like that.

photo was taken in montreal, but CD is in SF bay area, so...spinoff?
or has squenix montreal been helping CD with the previous TR games too?

I wanna say squenix montreal would be too new to work on the previous two games, right or am I crazy? Either way, seems plausible that they may be helping with this one. Teddy Dief is over there now (he worked on Hyper Light Drifter). Seems like there's a good team there to work on this.

Now finally make her not boring and give her the dual pistols ok?

I think there needs to be a middle ground here. I'm not really a fan of new Lara but I'm also not really a fan of old Lara though I do appreciate that old Lara was more of a fun character which is a quality new Lara is sorely lacking.

Harlequin

I wanna say squenix montreal would be too new to work on the previous two games, right? Either way, seems plausible that they may be helping with this one. Teddy Dief is over there now (he worked on Hyper Light Drifter). Seems like there's a good team there to work on this.

Square Enix Montreal focuses exclusively on mobile games but Eidos Montreal did actually help on both Tomb Raider (did the multiplayer) and Rise of the Tomb Raider (did the optional tombs) so it's entirely plausible that Eidos Montreal would be working on the next one, too.

I don't get the Ubisoft connection, is there some meme I'm missing?

Several Assassin's Creed games were leaked because someone worked on presentations for them during flights.

Seijuro

I don't get the Ubisoft connection, is there some meme I'm missing?

Some dude (from reddit? GAF?) sat on a plane next to a guy who supposedly worked at Ubisoft. That guy had his laptop out with confidential information about Assassin's Creed Unity and proceeded to tell him the setting, the protagonists name and other stuff. About a year later everything turned out to be true.

Square Enix Montreal focuses exclusively on mobile games but Eidos Montreal did actually help on both Tomb Raider (did the multiplayer) and Rise of the Tomb Raider (did the optional tombs) so it's entirely plausible that Eidos Montreal would be working on the next one, too.

That's right! I do believe that I was right that Teddy Dief is at squenix montreal, but it probably makes more sense for him to be working on something on the mobile side of things.

pswii60

Some dude (from reddit? GAF?) sat on a plane next to a guy who supposedly worked at Ubisoft. That guy had his laptop out with confidential information about Assassin's Creed Unity and proceeded to tell him the setting, the protagonists name and other stuff. About a year later everything turned out to be true.
Oh wow!! Ha! Amazing.

MrFixIt

At least it's safe to say that the photo itself was taken in a metro; guy standing there has a bag held between his legs and check out those Uggs!

Top Bottom