• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Shadow of the Tomb Raider leaked [Up: Kotaku says real, by Eidos Montreal]

Arklite

Wow, odd to see CD not continuing to helm development, but I'm psyched to see Eidos Montreal's take.

Wait... TR and Rise are hated on here? Though people were actually liking the reboots?

I'd say it's generally liked, just with some sharp critiques.

Necron

Looking forward to more Tomb Raider.

However, I'm not really liking the titles that Crystal Dynamics are giving these sequels...

Coffinhal

very constructive, informative argument

the general consensus is that the games are good. most people who play it enjoy it. it's fine if you don't like it, but that doesn't invalidate the quality of the games.

There's nothing constructive in yours too. He was right, quoting a metacritic score (or an imaginary "most people who play it enjoy it" doesn't say anything about the quality of the game. It doesn't mean it's not a quality game, it just means this isn't a proof.

Don't agree. Could never get into Uncharted, mainly due to the cliché characters, but loved the Tomb Raider.

The whole Uncharted series is both a caricature and an anthem to action/adventure movies, of course on the outside it looks cliché and works on the same kind of characters and narrative mechanics. These games are masterpieces because of their game design anyway.

Uncharted fans feel threatened because a game of the same genre does a couple of things better than Uncharted ever did.

It's silly, I know.

These comments come off as more fanboyish than the Uncharted comparisons.

Also people need to stop working in the metro in Montreal. Too many people in there lately to just snap a pic.

Best wishes.

Reedirect

Wait... TR and Rise are hated on here? Though people were actually liking the reboots?

It's a weird one. I like it and hate it at the same time. Amazing gameplay mechanics, especially in Rise, but I can't effectively love games with such awful characters and storytelling.

Eidos helming the new one gives me hope this could be different.

Harlequin

I really don't think Lara is frail and fragile when I played the reboot nor do I think it set female representation back. If anything during the original series, with no Metroid game at the time and Lara Croft being treated as a pinup model that made its original creator left, that set female representation back at least a decade if not more.

That was the marketing. Lara's in-game characterisation wasn't sexualised at all (despite many of her outfits being way too revealing) and back then she was a way more interesting character than she has been since Crystal took over the franchise despite (or possibly because) not nearly talking as much.

ghibli99

Very glad if true. Keep the series going, it's one of my favorites. 100%'d both, even though the stories/acting aren't that great. If they can dial that in on the next one and up some of the production value, it'll be damn-near unbeatable.

cilonen

Uncharted fans feel threatened because a game of the same genre does a couple of things better than Uncharted ever did.

It's silly, I know.

Uncharted kinda sucks too. I've never been able to get into it. The fact that CD moved the franchise closer to Uncharted is a big part of my issues with it.

Harlequin

Alright lets hope Eidos just helps CD out. I would be pissed if CD no longer helms the next Tomb Raider.

However two month ago CD officially announced Ian Milham from EA joined them "in the role of Game Director on the Tomb Raider franchise". Maybe Eidos just helps CD?

It'll probably be a Batman: Arkham Origins-type situation where Crystal controls the overall direction and overarching story of the franchise and Eidos has to try and mimick their game design style from the previous two games. (Though personally, I'd like to see what happens if Eidos were given full creative control and the freedom to deviate from Crystal's reboot formula as much as they wanted... maybe even go back to something that vaguely resembles a Tomb Raider game again.)

Salty Hippo

People aren't allowed to have opinions? These ironic responses so stupid.

If someone says Uncharted is a garbage-tier embarrassment, will people respect that "opinion"?

There is opinion and then there is just plain baseless hyperbolic bullshit. So please, allow me to be ironic and to have my own opinion about some of other people's opinions. Thank you.

It's silly, I know.

Bullshit. As someone who doesn't like TR 2013 it has nothing to do with Uncharted. Any dislike is purely on them for having design aspects that were never fleshed out and a bad story. That's completely ignoring the game still contains ideas that were tied to original open world survival design that never worked out.

It's called criticism and it can be made without ulterior motives.

Arklite

So, who's taking bets on how s-e is planning on fucking over this one?

As long as it's straight mulitplatform and they don't shoehorn in a useless multiplayer they should be fine. I'll be positive and say at worst there will be some exclusive ad shenanigans.

centmoe

Banned
So, who's taking bets on how s-e is planning on fucking over this one?

not sure how they fuck over the other one

deus ex will not get a sequel
rise of the tomb raider will

one game flopped, the other clearly didn't. apart from final fantasy, square are not going to make a new entry to a franchise if it failed. hitman is some episodic thing, thief is dead, deus ex is going to bed for a long time

Dalibor68

Banned
This better not have any impact on the development of the next Deus Ex. Then again it's probably the Thief-team, which would not bode well for TR3 either.

one game flopped, the other clearly didn't. apart from final fantasy, square are not going to make a new entry to a franchise if it failed. hitman is some episodic thing, thief is dead, deus ex is going to bed for a long time

SE's usual unrealistic expectations aside, who said that Deus Ex: MD flopped? I only read an article that the UK sales weren't groundbreaking.

jschreier

Alright lets hope Eidos just helps CD out. I would be pissed if CD no longer helms the next Tomb Raider.

However two month ago CD officially announced Ian Milham from EA joined them "in the role of Game Director on the Tomb Raider franchise".
http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/149512745285/ian-milham-joins-crystal-dynamics-crystal-dynamics

Maybe Eidos just helps CD?
My understanding is that Eidos Montreal is working on one TR game and CD is working on another, but they both collaborate.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Eidos Montreal? Awesome.

Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raiders have been awful. I guess they'll have to keep some things similar though.
They'll definitely just be building on what Crystal Dynamics have already done unfortunately.
TR and ROTR both have fantastic gameplay so there's nothing unfortunate about building on that. There are just some small tweaks that would make them GOAT material on the gameplay front.

Top Bottom