• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Shadow of the Tomb Raider leaked [Up: Kotaku says real, by Eidos Montreal]

I wouldn't mind if Eidos took the core gameplay but that's about it. There's not much else I really enjoyed.

And honestly, it kind of surprises me that two different devs are working on a TR game. I think they'd be ruining the benefit if they only appeal to a specific group.

Hopefully it's drastically different.

napata

Steamspy has it at 385.000 copies if I read this right:

http://steamspy.com/app/337000

Assuming X1 and PS4 sales are at least the same then it's at above 1,1 million already. This "flop"-talk at this point seems like a purposefully perpetuated meme by some people.

I think you're underestimating how much AAA games need to sell to be succesful.

From the same publisher:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...3-4-million-copies-failed-to-hit-expectations

And costs have only risen with the current generation.

Roubjon

I'll never understand why there's such a vocal hatred towards this series. I've never even played them but I've been meaning to and they look fantastic. And yes, I've played the originals and they are great in their own right.

Harlequin

I still need to play the last two. ;_;

No, you really don't. Just stick to the first six games.

I'm being facetious, of course. Even though I think the latest few TR games aren't worth playing, you should still try at least one of them just so you can form a proper opinion on the reboot.

I'll never understand why there's such a vocal hatred towards this series. I've never even played them but I've been meaning to and they look fantastic. And yes, I've played the originals and they are great in their own right.

Because the newer games have so little in common with the originals to the point where they might as well be their own, separate franchise if it weren't for the title and the main character's name.

Toli08

What if Eidos is making a Playstation Tomb Raider and CD is making the XBox one. We all know CD wants nothing to do with the playstation.

hamchan

Loved the previous two games so happy to play another one day one.

Kinda a bummer for the dev team to have their game revealed like this but oh well, I'm excited for it now.

SenkiDala

That's... internet... I feel it's trendy to shit on TR reboot. :/ They have no more flaws than the UC series has, but on gaf... yeah TR reboot is pretty much hated.

Not the "real" Tomb Raider, you know.

But I play and love the Tomb Raider series since 1996, and I also love the reboot, it's very different, it has flaws (and the first series had flaws too, more bugs than Bethesda games, etc), but it's very enjoyable.

Really looking forward to play a 3rd episode. Will buy ROTR again to play with my PS4 Pro. :)

Harlequin

It's one of the best third person shooters - the controls are amazing, which is something a Tomb Raider game has never been able to claim.

Yes but the platforming and puzzles are shit which is an incredibly sad thing to say about a game that's supposed to be a puzzle-platformer first and foremost - not a third-person shooter.

That was the marketing. Lara's in-game characterisation wasn't sexualised at all (despite many of her outfits being way too revealing) and back then she was a way more interesting character than she has been since Crystal took over the franchise despite (or possibly because) not nearly talking as much.

Explain this shit then?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bejic07j2w

Also having a character wearing revealing outfits is sexualizing them.

Nimby

Banned
I thought CD was hiring for a second dev team. I guess CD is either working on a new IP or perhaps a new LoK game?

SenkiDala

It's one of the best third person shooters - the controls are amazing, which is something a Tomb Raider game has never been able to claim.

Ahah oh God yes, those damn controles on PS1... T_T Those fucking jump I missed so many times for no damn reasons!

I preferred the first one. It had a better story, better environments and was better paced. Also it didn't go crazy with the collectables, although it still had it's fair share.

Still thoroughly enjoyed Rise though, but the new game needs to improve. Last but not least there needs to be some proper Tomb Raiding and puzzling for christs sake. Not just Uncharted 2 with tits.

Harlequin

It makes perfect sense for her to take off her clothes before taking a shower in her own home so the only thing you can question here is Core's decision to show her in this particular situation which, if you remember the context of this scene (she's just gotten home from a long adventure and defeated a bunch of henchmen who broke into her mansion), isn't quite as strange as it might seem. It makes sense for her to take a shower after all that. Then you have her addressing the player which, as far as I'm concerned actually supports my argument because she specifically tells them off, then shoots them in the face. It almost feels like a FU to those Nude Raider modders IMO. Of course, you can also try and argue the opposite and I wouldn't be able to say you're wrong because this is a matter of subjective interpretation. All I'm saying is that that scene doesn't necessarily have to be seen as sexualisation, it could very well be seen as the opposite.

What...

No. Just no.

No, the platforming and puzzles aren't shit? No, Tomb Raider isn't supposed to be a puzzle-platformer?

Good riddance to Crystal Dynamics if true.

They never seemed to quite get Tomb Raider, inspite of making some very good games mechanically, and their increasingly bizarre obsession with forcing the franchise into being an Xbox affiliated brand, despite the overwhelming majority of the fanbase being PC and PlayStation aligned in their platform preferences and tastes, was as baffling as it was infuriatingly insulting to their customers.

Really hope Eidos Montreal wow us now. I'd prefer a full reboot, but the TR13 version if Lara has potential, so I'll not be too cut up if it does end up as just a sequel.

Really hope they recast Lara though. The current voice actress is just so gods awful in the role.

Seems like the hate stems from salty old TR fans that can't accept the general population doesn't really want a puzzle/clunky platformer anymore.

One thing I agree with is the tombs in the next game have to actually be puzzles. If you were stumped by TR or Rise puzzles then you are likely blind.

Big Nikus

Ahah oh God yes, those damn controles on PS1... T_T Those fucking jump I missed so many times for no damn reasons!

Why do people always forget Legend/Anniversary/Underworld ?
They control like a charm and the level design is great. They're not as unforgiving as the previous ones but still offer a challenge and the feeling of actually exploring tombs by yourself. They're accessible without the need of handholding.
Those three are the perfect episodes for me. I can't pick one over the other, I always re-play them all.

finalflame

Gold Member
At my company this would be an immediately fireable offense. It's also why they give us all privacy screens and tell us to avoid working in public.

Hope it's real, but feel bad for the leaker. It's one of those unfortunate situations where clearly there was no intent to leak but most companies have a zero-tolerance policy with this kind of stuff.

Harlequin

Why do people always forget Legend/Anniversary/Underworld ?
They control like a charm and the level design is great. They're not as unforgiving as the previous ones but still offer a challenge and the feeling of actually exploring tombs by yourself. They're accessible without the need of handholding.
Those three are the perfect episodes for me. I can't pick one over the other, I always re-play them all.

The platforming in those was mostly on-rails (just shimmying along ledges and ledge-hopping) and super-automated, meaning not challenging at all. Anniversary did have a few nice puzzles but that's about it.

Vex_

Banned
Surprise: It's actually a Shadow the Hedgehog and Tomb Raider crossover game!

tumblr_m5ldjjXz7C1qg3y2ao1_400.gif

It'd fit with the darker and edgier new TR games :p

tbh, that gif (with no context) makes shadow look soo dope.

Banned
Playing the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games with a bow only is the closest I'll ever get to a Green Arrow game isn't it?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
O_O

This is... a real opinion? Wut
Lara feels great to control. There are few weapons so they focused on quality over quantity, the encounters have multiple ways to complete them, (or in the case of ROTR skip them altogether). The plat forming and verticality feel satisfying due to little animation priority and Lara making less realistic jumped. In both the first and second game you have this metroidvania style progression where you unlock more and more options for both combat and exploration. It's pretty brilliant.

Arklite

Welp there goes all hope of any gameplay related improvements. Guess i'll just have to be happy with new locations and pray that the story is self contained.

Why's that? Eidos Montreal is a more than capable team and TR isn't above some needed animation and shooting improvements, as well as weapon balancing. They're on par with Crystal on art, they might bring some extra complexity to level design and perhaps improve on Rise's more open hub design.

O_O

This is... a real opinion? Wut

It's a different type of gameplay from the originals but it plays fantastically well.

I would even argue that it's the number one reason people are playing those games since everything else is below average in my opinion (aside from graphics).

Kathian

Banned
That's a terrible name and if this is real why is Eidos Montreal developing it ?

Could be a Switch port of the first two games honestly. The fact Crystal Dynamics have had such critical success makes it very likely a third studio is suddenly getting the next sequel.

I feel this is something else.

Harlequin

Could be a Switch port of the first two games honestly. The fact Crystal Dynamics have had such critical success makes it very likely a third studio is suddenly getting the next sequel.

I feel this is something else.

Rocksteady had lots of success with the first two Arkham games and Warner Bros. still had their Montreal studio develop the third one. This could be a similar situation.

hawk2025

Bring it back to the tight gameplay of TR2013, remove 60-70% of the collectibles, side missions, and general bloat of Rise, and we'll have a huge winner IMO.

Montreal doesn't have to reinvent the wheel. They just have to fix the missteps CD took, especially with respect to gameplay and the combat scenarios.

Top Bottom