• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Shadow of the Tomb Raider leaked [Up: Kotaku says real, by Eidos Montreal]

FelipeMGM

My understanding is that Eidos Montreal is working on one TR game and CD is working on another, but they both collaborate.

huh. so this may be because they want to keep shipping a game of the franchise every 2 years?

Bold move, hope they can pull it

Alienfan

Why do people always forget Legend/Anniversary/Underworld ?
They control like a charm and the level design is great. They're not as unforgiving as the previous ones but still offer a challenge and the feeling of actually exploring tombs by yourself. They're accessible without the need of handholding.
Those three are the perfect episodes for me. I can't pick one over the other, I always re-play them all.

I love those games, but controlled well they did not. Camera wasn't great, jumps were hard to judge, and there was too much combat in Underworld given how basic the gunplay was. They were bloody amazing games though, I just think the new games brought a much needed overhaul to the gameplay, although it lost some of the series identity (RoTR brought some of it back).

When people think back to the old Tomb Raider games I still can't believe people focus on the 1997 games and not the amazing trilogy we got last gen. Those games seem to be forgotten :'(

Not even close. With the shit lag Uncharted 4 runs circles around it gameplay wise.

Maybe he played the PC version, which has no lag and better controls via mouse/keyboard. Uncharted at 60fps on mouse/keyboard would probably blow it away, but we'll never know!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Not even close. With the shit lag Uncharted 4 runs circles around it gameplay wise.
They fixed the input lag and the tools you have at your disposal for the combat arenas really run circles around uncharted. ND promoted stealth gameplay yet provided literally one way to quietly dispose of enemies and thanks to the focus on the story over player agency you only ever have the set of tools that ND want you to have, I mean, in TR you're a straight up predator.
Wgkq757.gif
They only need to make some small adjustments, like not using cinematic camera angles for stealth kills.

Jesus Christ, and I thought Rise of the Tomb Raider was the worst title they could come up with. But Eidos Montreal makes this look fake.

Could be a Switch port of the first two games honestly. The fact Crystal Dynamics have had such critical success makes it very likely a third studio is suddenly getting the next sequel.

I feel this is something else.

It being something else is most likely the case if its actually a thing and the name to me suggests its some sort of stealth game.

They fixed the input lag and the tools you have at your disposal for the combat arenas really run circles around uncharted. ND promoted stealth gameplay yet provided literally one way to quietly dispose of enemies and thanks to the focus on the story over player agency you only ever have the set of tools that ND want you to have, I mean, in TR you're a straight up predator.

They only need to make some small adjustments, like not using cinematic camera angles for stealth kills.

The stealth in the game is a joke. Even that little clip highlights it.

dear eidos,

rhianna pratchett? this woman?:

you don't want her writing the script. trust me :) ...

I respect her since she's Terry Prachetts daughter and all that but the script for Tomb Raider 2013 was terrible and I really don't want her to come back. Why do they even need a big name writer just so it old school style and let the dev team build a story around the game they want to make?

cilonen

Could be a Switch port of the first two games honestly. The fact Crystal Dynamics have had such critical success makes it very likely a third studio is suddenly getting the next sequel.

I feel this is something else.

The fact that Crystal Dynamics sold Square on Xbone exclusivity and flushed hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of sales down the toilet may have had repercussions though.

Crossing Eden

The stealth in the game is a joke. Even that little clip highlights it.
If the stealth in Rise of A Tomb Raider is a joke what does that mean for UC4's barebones stealth mechanics, (literally no silenced weapons or distraction options whatsoever), which isn't anywhere near as complex and way more forgiving than the stealth in TR? ND did stealth better in their last game ffs. Try using an actual argument instead of short phrases like "joke" which mean literally nothing in the context of game critique because you're too lazy to do anything but use a catch all phrase for a game that was xbox exclusive.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Maybe not GOAT but aside from that, what is so surprising about that opinion? The game is great, the metascore is 88% and even the steam rating is 91% positive at the moment.

For the most part, agreed (though not as far as greatest all time anything).

Modernly, they are at the top of the action adventure genre in my book.

It's only big weakness has really been it's story and characters. They've done a very solid job with Lara, but everyone else has been very cliche and paper thin. Hard to get emotionally invested in them.

After 4 Uncharted games, that series needs a real shake up. It has superior characters and settings but the gameplay feels really steeped in the past so kind of falling behind there

If the stealth in Rise of A Tomb Raider is a joke what does that mean for UC4's barebones stealth mechanics, (literally no silenced weapons or distraction options whatsoever), which isn't anywhere near as complex and way more forgiving than the stealth in TR? ND did stealth better in their last game ffs. Try using an actual argument instead of short phrases like "joke" which mean literally nothing in the context of game critique because you're too lazy to do anything but use a catch all phrase for a game that was xbox exclusive.

Stealth is a joke. Not GOAT in gameplay in any way. Get off Uncharted's nuts.

I thought ROTTR was a lame name when first announced, but it really grew on me. This sounds like a pretty good title to me.

Crossing Eden

Stealth is a joke. Not GOAT in gameplay in any way. Get off Uncharted's nuts.
So you literally can't say anything besides joke? Wow ok, thanks for proving my point. Also, in your haste to shitpost, you misread my post, which specifically said:

There are just some small tweaks that would make them GOAT material on the gameplay front.

I didn't call it the GOAT, I said it's fantastic. In terms of gameplay, UC4 doesnt' even come close, hell, even the first tomb raider had small moments of game design brilliance that most players wouldn't notice since it's such a passive and clever way to teach players about a mechanic they'd encounter later in the game. Also what's with the nuts thing? I'm not vehemently defending uncharted and outlining what makes Tomb Raider good pretty succinctly. I dont' even know why we're having this discussion when I know that the issue that you have isn't with ROTR's gameplay at all, but the fact that it was an xb1 exclusive. In fact, in your own words, you aren't even playing it until it's used and less than $20. So please duck out and stop wasting my time with your nonsense unless you're actually interested in discussing the gameplay.

So you literally can't say anything besides joke? Wow ok, thanks for proving my point. Also, in your haste to shitpost, you misread my post, which specifically said:

I didn't call it the GOAT, I said it's fantastic. In terms of gameplay, UC4 doesnt' even come close, hell, even the first tomb raider had small moments of game design brilliance that most players wouldn't notice since it's such a passive and clever way to teach players about a mechanic they'd encounter later in the game.

I never said Uncharted 4 was the greatest in gameplay(it's great game though and rated quite higher than Rise) so why you are comparing them why? Because of the same reason you accuse me of hating on it? If you think it can be the GOAT with few tweaks that obviously means you think it is pretty close now. Disagree.

Crossing Eden

I never said Uncharted 4 was the greatest in gameplay(it's great game though and rated quite higher than Rise) so why you are comparing them why? Because of the same reason you accuse me of hatting on it? If you think it can be the GOAT with few tweaks that obviously means you think it is pretty close now. Disagree.
I didn't bring up the comparison in the first place. Someone else did, with a post that didn't really say anything about the underlying systems of either game. I responded with a short post explaining why I disagree and what the advantages TR has over UC in the gameplay department and how it could be even better, you responded with a post that says nothing about a game that you haven't actually played or have any interest in buying.

dear eidos,

rhianna pratchett? this woman?:

you don't want her writing the script. trust me :) ...

Yep, agree 100%, I've got nothing about a woman writing a videogame script, but Pratchett cant do likeable characters, interesting plots, or believable dialogue to save her life.

Lady Gaia

Welp, they've managed to outdo themselves for worst fucking title.

The title of an unannounced game isn't necessarily indicative of what they'll finally go with. Plenty of products have a working title that's finally replaced leading up to the public announcement.

Arklite

Yep, agree 100%, I've got nothing about a woman writing a videogame script, but Pratchett cant do likeable characters, interesting plots, or believable dialogue to save her life.

I think there was some improvement for sure, or maybe the supporting cast just delivered the lines better in Rise. Either way, whoever is writing needs to tighten up what they want to do with the game's tone and Lara's character.

kuYuri

There is that one DLC pack for Tomb Raider Underworld that most people didn't play since it was a 360 exclusive called Lara's Shadow, so I guess this isn't too far off from that. :p

Eidos Montreal working on this while CD mostly focuses on a new IP is something I could get behind if true. CD has been on TR for far too long, it would be nice for them to move on to something new.

Can we stop with the collecting shit? Its tedious and annoying and just adds fluff to the core game. Also they really need to work on the gunplay, the AK is the worst shooting AK I've ever felt. Hit reaction is poor, stealth is too easy (literally run behind everyone at a very fast pace and choke them to death), throw a bottle to kill two guys in seconds. The game does nothing great, some things ok (environments) and a lot of things poor.

I haven't even mentioned the writing and story.

RedSwirl

Wait Eidos Montreal? Now this is news. Just depends on Deus Ex team or Thief team.

Maybe this time the writing wont be awful
Maybe they'll make characters worth giving a shit about
Maybe there wont be as much useless bloat like level of greek, level of roman, collecting ores, herbs and other shit just give me a focused narrative
Maybe the villains will be good this time around
Maybe Camilla Luddington will learn how to act
Man and how about that story I already don't remember anything about? What was father Croft's problem again?
The post-credit scene was the best thing, such graceful setup for the 3rd game
Oh and raise your hand if at times you would forego doing upgrades at the camp just so you wouldn't hear those cringe inner monologues.

Also, how many people do you guys think legit cried at that
Jonas death fakeout scene? I mean when you can't make us care about a character who's not only been there since the first game but is also one of Lara's closest friends, I think you've got a problem.

I can't wait for Mediocrity of the Tomb Raider, the Third. You've got my axe, Crystal Godnamics.

I couldn't have said this better myself.

Big Nikus

I love those games, but controlled well they did not. Camera wasn't great, jumps were hard to judge, and there was too much combat in Underworld given how basic the gunplay was. They were bloody amazing games though, I just think the new games brought a much needed overhaul to the gameplay, although it lost some of the series identity (RoTR brought some of it back).

When people think back to the old Tomb Raider games I still can't believe people focus on the 1997 games and not the amazing trilogy we got last gen. Those games seem to be forgotten :'(

Yeah, they've got their issues but they should be remembered more fondly :s

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There is no longer a "Thief Team". A lot of them have moved to the Deus Ex team.

I'm sure he realises that the Thief team stopped working on Thief after Thief was released and is simply using the moniker to refer to the people who worked on Thief. ;)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Now, I know it's just a rumor but still, why on earth they've outsourced the new game to Eidos Montreal? I really don't think that it's a good idea at all.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
According to Jason, now two teams are working on two games? So...this is confirmed a franchise now ala COD? I hope they know what they are doing...

I was expecting a definitive trilogy by CD and then giving the IP a rest, but i guess that wasn't in the plans..

The fact that Crystal Dynamics sold Square on Xbone exclusivity and flushed hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of sales down the toilet may have had repercussions though.

CD sold SE on the idea? What the fuck.

That's not how the power in this industy flows and works. The check Microsoft was willing to write and the developer who was more than happy to only have to develop a single version of a sequel in 18 months were both part of the deal.

vio

Ubisoft Montreal?? That can mean only one thing. Crystal Dynamics is busy rebooting Soul Reaver!
:(

Still so funny to me that people are like "Lara has no personality anymore"

Lara Croft never had a personality, she had big breasts which a lot of people seemed to confuse for a personality. There was literally nothing to her before, she would just spout witty quips as she went around killing everything and people got tired of it by the time Underworld came around which is why it flopped. The nostalgia vision is strong.

Bioshocker

Lara Croft never had a personality, she had big breasts which a lot of people seemed to confuse for a personality. There was literally nothing to her before, she would just spout witty quips as she went around killing everything and people got tired of it by the time Underworld came around which is why it flopped. The nostalgia vision is strong.

It certainy is. Tomb Raider was an amazing game back in 1996 (and long after), but it had nothing do to with Laras "personality". It had to do with 3D graphics, puzzles, level design, soundtrack etc.

For me ROTTR is a game with a modern Lara, a game that both feels "Tomb Raider" and up to date at the same time.

(Sorry, you haters out there.)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

That's true. The game's entire draw point was the gameplay, which was essentially tank controls and poorly designed platforming(which was still novel at the time)

Top Bottom