• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Some Destiny 2 info leaks from Mega Bloks toy set

V1ctIm

Neo Member
Desperately awaiting D2 news. Played D1 more than any other game in my life. I love it to bits, but have drifted away recently to play all the games releasing this year. I cannot wait to jump back in that universe. Cabal and obviously new threats, planets, Xûr/The Nine backstory and quests, cryptarch quests and story expansion, in-game grimoire, more vault space, etc for D2 please. :)

NastyBook

Something I'd love to see in Destiny 2 is friendly aliens. Like a rogue Cabal squad helping the players. More non-hostile Fallen like Variks. Maybe an entire Fallen house who made a truce with the Guardians / humans because picking fights with them is not in their best interest. Or just in general NPCs that help you beyond just telling you what to do and who don't exist purely inside social zones.
The Vanguard themselves showing up in battle at certain points would fucking incredible.

I'm also interested in what direction they go in regarding the title of the next major addition to the Destiny property.

I got the sense early on that Bungie liked just keeping it simple with the Destiny brand and adding subtitles like "Destiny: The Taken King" and "Destiny: Rise of Iron" while categorizing content as Destiny: Year 1, Year 2, Year 3, etc.

Just curious to see if Activision pushes them to have a numbered title or if Bungie continues with the simple subtitle and Year trends.

In any case if it doesn't get officially revealed and shown until E3 2017 then I doubt it's releasing this year as that just doesn't seem to fit a major release for a developer like Bungie and a publisher like Activision to give it such a short build-up/marketing push. If this turns out to be the case then you are probably looking at a Spring 2018 release at the earliest with another Rise of Iron-sized expansion this Fall.

My guess is still a release set for this year with an initial reveal sometime in the next six weeks and a small teaser of sorts in the Spring before E3 in June.

I am a bit surprised, however, that it hasn't been officially revealed as of yet as I thought December 2016 would have been a probable time (giving Rise of Iron time to breathe on it's own) especially with release supposedly due in Fall/Holiday of 2017.

GlamFM

Banned
I'm also interested in what direction they go in regarding the title of the next major addition to the Destiny property.

I got the sense early on that Bungie liked just keeping it simple with the Destiny brand and adding subtitles like "Destiny: The Taken King" and "Destiny: Rise of Iron" while categorizing content as Destiny: Year 1, Year 2, Year 3, etc.

Just curious to see if Activision pushes them to have a numbered title or if Bungie continues with the simple subtitle and Year trends.

In any case if it doesn't get officially revealed and shown until E3 2017 then I doubt it's releasing this year as that just doesn't seem to fit a major release for a developer like Bungie and a publisher like Activision to give it such a short build-up/marketing push. If this turns out to be the case then you are probably looking at a Spring 2018 release at the earliest with another Rise of Iron-sized expansion this Fall.

My guess is still a release set for this year with an initial reveal sometime in the next six weeks and a small teaser of sorts in the Spring before E3 in June.

I am a bit surprised, however, that it hasn't been officially revealed as of yet as I thought December 2016 would have been a probable time (giving Rise of Iron time to breathe on it's own) especially with release supposedly due in Fall/Holiday of 2017.

Nothing says "sequel" like a number. You need a number if you want 70$ again.

Destiny 2: Something of something. ("The Shattered Suns" was once rumoured)

Nothing says "sequel" like a number. You need a number if you want 70$ again.

Destiny 2: Something of something. ("The Shattered Suns" was once rumoured)

To me, a number in the title is completely unnecessary for a game like Destiny that pushes out major content expansions as it gets convoluted in doing so thus the subtitle and overarching Year (we're in Year 3 of the supposed 10 year life-span of Destiny) category makes more sense.

That said, Activision most likely wants a numbered title for obvious reasons.

Either this gun is getting a significant buff in D2, or Zavala is on a suicide mission. XD

9sxHPBx.jpg

Apparently they are aiming to have way higher metacritic score so content should be rich and plentiful hopefully.

george_us

We knew for a while now that D2 would have a big Cabal focus. Jason (I think) reported a while back that the development on a Cabal Raid for D1 was halted to be moved over to D2.

D2 will broaden up eventually just like D1 did, but in terms of structure I would not be surprised if the Cabal were for vanilla D2 what the Vex were for vanilla Destiny 1.
That would be pretty disappointing. I don't find the Cabal all that interesting.

Trace

Banned
To me, a number in the title is completely unnecessary for a game like Destiny that pushes out major content expansions as it gets convoluted in doing so thus the subtitle and overarching Year (we're in Year 3 of the supposed 10 year life-span of Destiny) category makes more sense.

That said, Activision most likely wants a numbered title for obvious reasons.

With the rumored leaving behind of all the Destiny 1 gear/world, they will want to call it Destiny 2 or something similar to provide a distinction that this is something different.

Toxi

Banned
Subjective. To me, vanilla was the best Destiny. I did enjoy the expansions, but the more "casual friendly" it got the less I enjoyed it.
I'm speaking from a content perspective, since I'm only really familiar with the game in its current state.

And much of the content in the current game came from the expansions. Stuff like the Prison of Elders and swords and sidearms and Taken and most of the Strikes and three entire subclasses (Including my favorite subclass, the Nightstalker). It's hard for me to imagine the game without these things. Even just comparing the quality of the main story quests versus the expansion quests, the expansion story quests feel better balanced and more interesting.

GlamFM

Banned
I'm speaking from a content perspective, since I'm only really familiar with the game in its current state.

And much of the content in the current game came from the expansions. Stuff like the Prison of Elders and swords and sidearms and Taken and most of the Strikes and three entire subclasses (Including my favorite subclass, the Nightstalker). It's hard for me to imagine the game without these things. Even just comparing the quality of the main story quests versus the expansion quests, the expansion story quests feel better balanced and more interesting.

I mean, all 4 planets were there, all patrol areas (minus the plaguelands) the vast majority of the strikes are vanilla. You had the best raid and an actually hard nightfall that meant something. There was stuf to do. I never felt ripped off.

I actually heard they had wanted to do this for D1. I don't remember if it was removed because of dev time constraints or last-gen consoles (maybe both?) but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see it in D2.

This is snark aimed at Bungie...but didn't Halo have working friendly AI? That would even drive you around (badly)!?

They've only had 13 years to practice in-between...

EDIT - anyway top leakage by GlamFM - thanks!

Bold One

Actually getting to see the vanguard in action would elevate the game's narrative.

Badly want to see Ikkora kick ass and take names.

and then maybe get an Ikkora and Eris dlc Uncharted style, they are part of the hidden afterall

That would be pretty disappointing. I don't find the Cabal all that interesting.

Gotta say I agree, they were my least favorite of the enemies in Destiny from both a narrative, as well as a gameplay standpoint. But that said I'm betting they will be much more fleshed out in Destiny 2

No, he said that Activision had a lot of reasons to make sure it hits this year.

Subjective. To me, vanilla was the best Destiny. I did enjoy the expansions, but the more "casual friendly" it got the less I enjoyed it.

I couldn't agree more. Vanilla destiny had better progression, better weapons, and leveling up actually made sense. The current system, break down to rise up, actually made me stop playing.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I mean, all 4 planets were there, all patrol areas (minus the plaguelands) the vast majority of the strikes are vanilla. You had the best raid and an actually hard nightfall that meant something. There was stuf to do. I never felt ripped off.

The problem is they need a balance between what vanilla was and "casual friendly" or else you'll lose players. Lessening the terrible grind that vanilla Destiny had wasn't "casual," it was simply better game design.

The Nightfall now isn't much "easier" than the vanilla. Sometimes there are Nightfalls that are a pain in the ass, sometimes they're easier. The only real difference is that you don't get booted to orbit. And that too is about finding a balance, this time between "difficulty" and "frustration."

Since House of Wolves came out, I've tried to do the Nightfall on all three characters every week (my playtime has dwindled since Rise of Iron for a few reasons though). And almost every week it's the same: hop on LFG, grab some people, 90% of the time no one uses mics and it works fine.

That's how it worked when we still got kicked orbit. The difference is that because there was no matchmaking (and still isn't, obviously), people were far more likely to quit, meaning I would have to go back to LFG again.

And just as the terrible grind in vanilla Destiny, that was just poor game design that frustrated a lot players.

GlamFM

Banned
The problem is they need a balance between what vanilla was and "casual friendly" or else you'll lose players. Lessening the terrible grind that vanilla Destiny had wasn't "casual," it was simply better game design.

The Nightfall now isn't much "easier" than the vanilla. Sometimes there are Nightfalls that are a pain in the ass, sometimes they're easier. The only real difference is that you don't get booted to orbit. And that too is about finding a balance, this time between "difficulty" and "frustration."

Since House of Wolves came out, I've tried to do the Nightfall on all three characters every week (my playtime has dwindled since Rise of Iron for a few reasons though). And almost every week it's the same: hop on LFG, grab some people, 90% of the time no one uses mics and it works fine.

That's how it worked when we still got kicked orbit. The difference is that because there was no matchmaking (and still isn't, obviously), people were far more likely to quit, meaning I would have to go back to LFG again.

And just as the terrible grind in vanilla Destiny, that was just poor game design that frustrated a lot players.

I found out a while ago that I like the grind. it´s important actually.

There is no sense of accomplishment when they just hand you all the stuff without ANY RNG and/or time investment.

Chasing thing is more fun than having thing.

Look at Y1 reaction videos on YT from people finally getting the VEX/Horn/Fatebringer.

This stuff is all gone.

Drewboy64

Tower hangar... Maybe all the speculation of some sort of attack on the Tower in D1 before D2 is released could be legitimate?

I kinda hope D2 is more than just "Cabal themed version of the same thing you've seen." And god I hope there's a story

There is no sense of accomplishment when they just hand you all the stuff without ANY RNG and/or time investment.

Look at Y1 reaction videos on YT from people finally getting the VEX/Horn/Fatebringer.

This stuff is all gone.

While I liked the setting/atmosphere of RoI/WotM this was one of my main gripes as after a handful of WotM runs you had all of the gear/weapons (especially concerning the weapons with fixed perks) giving you less incentive to keep running it weekly. Don't get me wrong it was a lot of fun but also really short (could have used at least another different boss encounter and probably two more). All told 20 or so runs was more than enough for me while I was approaching 100 runs in the KF raid before it.

For me the RoI setting was unfortunately under-utilized in a small expansion.

ZeoVGM

Banned
That´s the never ending argument. I will always be against MM for Raids. Raids are such a commitment, I really don´t want to be matched with guys who don´t use their mics, don´t know what they are doing or drop out after an hour or two. I agree that there should be tools in place, but no straight up MM.

As for this, I've seen this argument a few times and I both agree and disagree with you. (Mostly agree.) This is going to be long but I've had a pretty specific image in my mind for matchmaking for two years and never got to share it on GAF until now. Haha.

Raids are complicated. For as much as I play Destiny, I've only completed two of the Raids. I find LFG sites for Raids to be a pain and yes, now that I can chat with the GAF community, I'll likely do that. But in my mind, the players should never have to create solutions for basic features that no game should be without at this point.

Blind matchmaking would be a disaster as it is, yes. Imagine dropping into King's Fall with all randoms and no one on mic? It simply wouldn't work. It's too complicated. I could see Crota's End working much better but King's Fall? Absolutely not. Too much timing is involved.

So with that being said, my thoughts have always been this: every single end game activity in Destiny (the 4 Raids and Trials of Osiris) should have a group finder/creation tool. When you select the activity in orbit, you can either hit 'Launch' to hop into it with your pre-made Fireteam or you can hit a button above it that says 'LFG.'

This would bring you to a screen that's set up in a similar way to the custom match screen in Crucible. Here, you can create a group that anyone else can join or look at a list of groups and easily join one.. You can set up a few specifics such as "must be LL 380" or "must have mic." You wouldn't be able to join that group if you (or anyone in your Firetime at the time) was below 380 or if the game didn't detect a plugged in mic.

Once people join your group, you can chat with them right there in orbit using the mic. And yes, group creators can boot someone for being a pain.

Once you have the people you want, you would then hit the new 'Launch' button in the LFG tool.

Now, I do think that at a certain point, blind matchmaking should also be an option for old Raids. This would also be an option on the 'Launch' screen but as a sort of checkmark box you can hit before then hitting 'Launch.'

But there should be caveats:

- Depending on the difficulty of the Raid, Bungie will decide when the option is made available to everyone. For example, Vault of Glass and Crota's End should have it now but King's Fall still might not work well with it.

- You would only be able to use the option if you've beaten the Raid from start to finish before. Meaning, you didn't join up with a friend in the middle during your first Raid run. However, if you've done that then yes, the blind matchmaking can throw you into the middle of a Raid.

- If the game doesn't detect a mic, you can't use the option.

- The group can vote on whether to kick someone if they're truly being a dick. This can lead to people getting kicked for dick reasons as well but I think most of the Destiny community are honestly good people based on my experience.

Now, that isn't necessary while I think the LFG option absolutely is. That's just my idea to make both groups happy.

The other thing that I wanted to say is that other than Raids, every single other activity in the game should have normal matchmaking as an option. Every single one: Nightfall, Weekly Heroic, Daily Story, all levels of Prison of Elders including Skolas (easy at this point) and Challenge of the Elders. Unlike Raids, matchmaking would be on by default and you would uncheck the box to turn it off. (Yes, there might be higher LL caps needed in order to use matchmaking for the Nightfall, however.)

I even think there should be a separate channel for Trials of Osiris. If you use matchmaking, you would only ever be put up against other matchmade teams. If you use LFG or go in with a pre-made Fireteam, you would only go up against other people who met via LFG or had a pre-made Fireteam.

Sometimes people just want to play Trials for the bounties and for fun. And you obviously don't get rewards in Elimination during the weekdays. Yes, it would be harder to go to the Lighthouse but that's already hard as hell. It's not impossible though, my brother has gone "flawless" in regular Elimination during the week twice.

And finally, just to vent a little about the whole issue with matchmaking. Bungie's reasoning for having no matchmaking Raids always made complete sense: they're too complicated and require communication. They're right. That really can't be argued.

However, what has really hurt their reasoning was the fact that over two years into the game, there is still no matchmaking option for most everything else. Even ignoring the Nightfall, there was no reason as to why Prison of Elders didn't have matchmaking the day it launched. Yes, back then, Skolas shouldn't have had it and it should have used the LFG feature I described above. But the levels below it should have.

Challenge of the Elders? Absolutely zero excuse why that wasn't available day one. I did CotE on all there characters almost every single week from the spring update until Rise of Iron. 95% of those playthroughs were done through LFG sites where no one used a mic and the majority of the time, it went just fine -- except when someone left randomly and we had to go back to LFG because it had no matchmaking.

Daily Story? I've never even bothered with it. I just don't find the story missions fun to play over and over again alone. But if I could just team up with two people as an option? Hell, I'd do it every day. It'd be fun!

So that's my issue with their reasoning: it works. But it only applies to the Raids. And when you also leave matchmaking out of most everything else, it makes their reasoning look a bit hypocritical and harder to take seriously.

/EndMatchmakingRant

ZeoVGM

Banned

This stuff is all gone.

That's an understandable opinion but in terms of strictly the grind, you're definitely in the minority on that one.

I do think Three of Coins ended up being a bad choice and I think that goes to what you're saying. I flipped my shit when I got a Gjally finally.

While I do think that the Exotic drop rate needed to be raised across the board, Three of Coins made it feel artificial. And of course, they could still keep certain Exotics with a lower drop rate than others. Just nothing too crazy.

I'd be surprised to see Three of Coins go into Destiny 2, to be honest.

Personally, I've never understood why ALL strikes and Raids don't have scaling. They go through the effort of each new content update to add in some variety of enemies (Taken or Splicers) in a few selected strikes, but ignore the others.

Personally I think every strike should have 2-3 enemy type variants, at least leveled to character level. Raids I understand would be harder, esp. given the limitations of their pipeline, but in D2, I'd really like to see some replayability options...I don't mind running the same strike for the 100th time, but at least add some variety every now and then and make it feel fresh.

So Forge of Gods and Vex Void are Destiny 2 content?

It's my understanding that pieces of Vex Void and Forge of Gods ended up becoming part of The Taken King.

It was also rumored that an Activision studio (Vicarious Visions?) was working on Mars/Cabal content for an expansion pack, but that's probably being worked into Destiny 2 now.

GlamFM

Banned
That's an understandable opinion but in terms of strictly the grind, you're definitely in the minority on that one.

I do think Three of Coins ended up being a bad choice and I think that goes to what you're saying. I flipped my shit when I got a Gjally finally.

While I do think that the Exotic drop rate needed to be raised across the board, Three of Coins made it feel artificial. And of course, they could still keep certain Exotics with a lower drop rate than others. Just nothing too crazy.

I'd be surprised to see Three of Coins go into Destiny 2, to be honest.

3oC did a lot of harm, but the progression has been completely fucked up since the April update.

Everything in this game became trivial.

Personally I think every strike should have 2-3 enemy type variants, at least leveled to character level. Raids I understand would be harder, esp. given the limitations of their pipeline, but in D2, I'd really like to see some replayability options...I don't mind running the same strike for the 100th time, but at least add some variety every now and then and make it feel fresh.

I'm guessing you haven't played Destiny in a while because all of the strikes have been updated and many of them now have exactly what you're asking for. Multiple difficulty levels, variable enemy types for encounters (For example, sometimes in one area of a strike you'll fight Fallen, other times you might fight Hive instead, ect) The Heroic Strikes playlist also now has weekly modifiers (like the Nightfall) to keep things interesting, too. And I'm sure things will get even more varied in Destiny 2.

Ramirez

Speaking of Mega Bloks, I spent like 5 hours putting this piece of shit together only to get to the legs and find out they had short me one piece needed for the legs. So it won't stand up properly. These things are a nightmare compared to Lego, bags aren't labeled, just all jumbled together. Never again, friends.

I'm guessing you haven't played Destiny in a while because all of the strikes have been updated and many of them now have exactly what you're asking for. Multiple difficulty levels, variable enemy types for encounters (For example, sometimes in one area of a strike you'll fight Fallen, other times you might fight Hive instead, ect) And I'm sure things will get even more varied in Destiny 2.

No I have played, but what you're describing has been very selective of a few strikes only with each major update...and when they do that, other, older strikes get taken out of the rotation. Vex Mind just came back into play with the taken variant, prior to that, it was absent for nearly a year (I'm referring to the stirke playlist specifically).

What I'm saying is this treatment should be there day one, for all strikes, not something that gets added in over 3 year time span.

Trace

Banned

This stuff is all gone.

I definitely agree. Destiny 1 felt like a slog where you "worked" (yes I realize it's basically all RNG) for your gear. Destiny today feels like a themepark where you get handed prizes for showing up.

Raven117

This stuff is all gone.

I know what you mean man...I do...I really do....but fuck...Y1 was just too inconsiderate of a players time.

I think the system they have now...a little RNG, but also some dedicated quests (even if time consuming) is the right approach. We as players can make a determination about what is worth it and what is not.

While the highs of year 1 are certainly HIGH, the lows of frustration were just too low.

ImThatDood

Neo Member
I hope they have MM for every mode. They should have MM with an option set that allows you to set required parameters like LL and whether a mic is required or not. That would solve my biggest problem with Destiny. I just don't understand why they make it so difficult to get into raids. Their excuse that raids are to complicated and require communication is pure bullshit and reeks of either laziness or an attitude that they know whats best for us. Leaving out MM for raids has not solved any issue they say implementing it would cause. People still try to play without mics. People still rage quit. People still join to play a small part of the raid then quit. People still don't communicate. People still join then don't play. The only problem Bungie solved with this system is the problem of ease of use. They made it harder to play their game by forcing you to use a second device to play certain modes.

GlamFM

Banned
I know what you mean man...I do...I really do....but fuck...Y1 was just too inconsiderate of a players time.

I think the system they have now...a little RNG, but also some dedicated quests (even if time consuming) is the right approach. We as players can make a determination about what is worth it and what is not.

While the highs of year 1 are certainly HIGH, the lows of frustration were just too low.

Highs & lows, Ying & Yang. You need the lows to feel the highs and vice versa.

A glass of water will taste juice from gods own pond if you walk though the desert for two days.

ZeoVGM

Banned
No lies detected. 100% agree.

Thanks!

3oC did a lot of harm, but the progression has been completely fucked up since the April update.

Everything in this game became trivial.

I really don't agree with that I think progression finally became perfect with the April update.

Players shouldn't need to do the Raid or end game activities over and over to hit max light. You should be able to hit max light in multiple activities throughout the game.

They then take that max light and head into the end game activities, where the reward is cool Raid gear and other loot.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I hope they have MM for every mode. They should have MM with an option set that allows you to set required parameters like LL and whether a mic is required or not. That would solve my biggest problem with Destiny. I just don't understand why they make it so difficult to get into raids. Their excuse that raids are to complicated and require communication is pure bullshit and reeks of either laziness or an attitude that they know whats best for us. Leaving out MM for raids has not solved any issue they say implementing it would cause. People still try to play without mics. People still rage quit. People still join to play a small part of the raid then quit. People still don't communicate. People still join then don't play. The only problem Bungie solved with this system is the problem of ease of use. They made it harder to play their game by forcing you to use a second device to play certain modes.

Like I said, I understand the lack of matchmaking for Raids. It simply would NOT work with King's Fall, for example.

But what's the excuse, two+ years in, for not having it as an option for the Nightfall, PoE, CotE or the Daily Story?

Their reasoning doesn't work for those activities so where is it?

Melchiah

I really don't agree with that I think progression finally became perfect with the April update.

Players shouldn't need to do the Raid or end game activities over and over to hit max light. You should be able to hit max light in multiple activities throughout the game.

They then take that max light and head into the end game activities, where the reward is cool Raid gear and other loot.

Agreed. Especially on being able to reach max level without raids and PVP. Revisit to year one would just ensure, that I quit the game in no time, just like I did back then after a couple of months. I've got better things to do than grind.

I only got few exotics back then, and it took me about a month to activate all the nodes. That's not my idea of fun. Getting to actually use the exotics is far more fun, than chasing them in vain.

They do need to come up with regular PVE events, like Queen's Wrath, so players on that side have their equivalent of Iron Banner and Trials of Osiris to keep them coming back.

Top Bottom