• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony Announcing Cloud Gaming Deal (Gaikai or OnLive) at E3

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/OnLive-Gaikai-E30-2012-PlayStation-Vita,news-15353.html

Sony is expected to announce a deal with OnLive or Gaikai during its E3 press conference on June 4.

Ok, so we typically don't cover console news post hardware release, but this supposed announcement is a little interesting. Sony, the brains behind the PlayStation 3 and the recent PS Vita, will supposedly announce a cloud gaming deal during the Sony press conference on June 4. The deal will allow either Gaikai or OnLive games to be streamed on PlayStation hardware.

The rumor stems from an E3 preview piece which makes reference to a "partnership deal between PlayStation and a leading cloud gaming service," but declines to go into any further detail. However Ross McGrath, SCEE PlayStation Plus Content Manager, hinted earlier this week that the service may require PlayStation Plus.

"If you don't have a PS+ subscription, now is the time to get one. For real. Just get 3 months if you aren't sure. Trust me," McGrath tweeted.

Out of the two, Onlive seems to be the likely candidate. OnLive VP of Engineering Joe Bentley said last year that the company was in talks with Microsoft and Sony about bringing its cloud gaming service -- along with support for its OnLive Wireless Controller -- to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

"Absolutely, they would make great consoles," Bentley said. "Our controller is a hybrid between a PS3 controller and an Xbox controller. It's all compatible, it would just work. There are OnLive guys chatting [Sony and MS], but we'll see where it goes. But it would absolutely work, we're ready to work with everybody."

Let's get this E3 ball rolling.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
How much money does OnLive have left? I just can't imagine this deal being particularly good for both Sony and OnLive - probably just one or the other.

I like OnLive, but it's surprising to me that they still exist.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
How would onlive games be any improvement over just the games you could download and play on the PS3?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Doesn't matter much to me since my 5-7Mbps connection isn't quite fast enough.

Come borrow some of mine =D

1875678122.png

Sentenza

Oh, well... I was ready to say "I don't like cloud gaming in principle, but I would try some Sony game on my PC if available" but then again seems like that's not the case.
Service reserved to those who use Sony hardware... Which once again makes the "cloud" part of the thing more a liability than an actual advantage.

If I have dedicated hardware to run some software, than that's what I want to use.

GraveRobberX

With the discounts that somehow got activated, I'm @$200, a couple of dollars here and there

Got Ultimate Package + 150Mb/50Mb + Digital Voice

Next year it will scale up to up $230, then $250 last year

They threw in a $250 Gift Visa Card to boot

Home, nothing business/industrial, pure FiOS, they had to come setup a whole new thicker cable, my speeds went bananas afterwards

Yeah the gave me the new N router free, Good God my Wifi is on Steroids

Downloaded a 6.6GB fie in 1 hour 15 minutes, which is fucking impressive on Wifi, Ethernet < 45 minutes

Cartman86

Banned
Apps are becoming the next big thing. Hulu takes money out of the pocket of sony's video store, but puts money back in when people buy the console to run the apps. The future is platform agnosticism. As long as people have to use the PS3 its a plus for Sony.

LevityNYC

Banned
With the discounts that somehow got activated, I'm @$200, a couple of dollars here and there

The g router was bottlenecking my Wifi speeds to around 22/20. apparently they only guarantee 35/35 hardwired, but after a 30 minute online chat session, i was able to convince them to credit me the 115 bucks for the N router.

GraveRobberX

I have some games for Onlive, and I run them through Wifi, not that bad

It's not super duper, but it's playable, and my speed holds most of the time

I think they changed 150Mb/35Mb to 150Mb/50Mb package

Zee-Row

Banned

Home, nothing business/industrial, pure FiOS, they had to come setup a whole new thicker cable, my speeds went bananas afterwards

Downloaded a 6.6GB fie in 1 hour 15 minutes, which is fucking impressive on Wifi, Ethernet < 45 minutes

I think i'm good for now LOL. I had Roadrunner before this and the Fios plan I have right now blows it away. I think I was getting around 12MB with Roadrunner.

GraveRobberX

Anyone still laugh at my could gaming console idea next gen? this could be a test run people!

It may be a feature to advance to it as the end result, but no console is gonna go full DD with-in 1-2 generations

Sony just killed themselves to get Blu-Ray to where it is, not gonna abandon that ship for a while, unless Hologram Discs or something ridiculous comes out

There have been plenty of times on GAF of figures showing how many people play offline
Also the NA the hotbed, the telecommunication companies aren't doing many customers any favors with CAPS, and other limited/restricted access

It may be a feature to advance to it as the end result, but no console is gonna go full DD with-in 1-2 generations

Sony just killed themselves to get Blu-Ray to where it is, not gonna abandon that ship for a while, unless Hologram Discs or something ridiculous comes out

There have been plenty of times on GAF of figures showing how many people play offline
Also the NA the hotbed, the telecommunication companies aren't doing many customers any favors with CAPS, and other limited/restricted access

cloud gaming would mean no used games and no piracy

its not in the near future, but it will come... belive me! just because of the reasons i listed above. This is a first testrun (if this rumor is true at all)

Sophia

I've never been able to get OnLive to work at a satisfactory level. It's always too laggy, or the image quality blows. I've had better luck with Gaikai, but it's still not really acceptable, just playable.

Also

1970650236.png

GraveRobberX

cloud gaming would mean no used games and no piracy

Would also mean Always Online DRM, go check Diablo III thread and come back to me on that

PSN/XBL go down, then what?, your ISP does their maintenance then what?
Consumer rights will go out the window, have you seen EA and the debauchery they're doing with server shutdowns, you think this will not escalate?
DLC/Updates which might vanish due to poor sales, then what?
Refunds?
Price manipulation (accountable)?
Hacking, remember PSNpocalypse?
Content tied to a single account
Dev loses rights, where does my license go? do I still have control?
Game has glitch/unauthorized access/unsafe security measure, pulled, money you spent rightfully on it, you no access to, then what (Look @VITA Wololo finding games, Sony pulling them completely off their servers, content paid by customers,)?

Cloud Gaming would need you to be "ON" all the time, for 1 benefit you see, I see 2 detrimental factors that it will not prevail so easily

K701

Banned
PS orbis to be a head mounted display, with most of the cost going into optics. Games to be streamed as a result. You heard it here first, kotaku.

Would also mean Always Online DRM, go check Diablo III thread and come back to me on that

PSN/XBL go down, then what?, your ISP does their maintenance then what?
Consumer rights will go out the window, have you seen EA and the debauchery they're doing with server shutdowns, you think this will not escalate?
DLC/Updates which might vanish due to poor sales, then what?
Refunds?
Price manipulation (accountable)?
Hacking, remember PSNpocalypse?
Content tied to a single account
Dev loses rights, where does my license go? do I still have control?

Cloud Gaming would need you to be "ON" all the time, for 1 benefit you see, I see 2 detrimental factors that it will not prevail so easily

Lets see where will be 2 to 3 generations from now.

A few years back no one would have believed there would be "always online" games anywhere. Now we have it on pc...

Hackbert

yeah co**... ähh cable strength test ^^

I love cable internet. When i moved into this house they had dsl 2000. for shame... but sidenote : i´m sharing with 8-10 other people in the evening
edit : more user, smaller price : 4&#8364;/5

Nevertheless. I don´t hope this cloud gaming is the "next" thing. please not

haven't been able to play much on OnLive here in Finland as all buying is prohibited. But demos work fine and the spectator wall of all gaming feeds is awesome.

GraveRobberX

Lets see where will be 2 to 3 generations from now.

A few years back no one would have believed there would be "always online" games anywhere. Now we have it on pc...

I'm not saying it's not inevitable

The thing Sony most likely is working on with this service is to attract customers, a feature to differentiate themselves from the pack, which really makes them standout

The way PSN+ is being thrown around, mostly says Sony moneyhatted with the pool of money they've generated with PSN+, and want to reward their playerbase and bring in fresh blood hopefully

Maybe it a shared-association template

If you own From Dust on PSN, and have PSN+ access, Gaikai/Onlive can be your support when you are away from your PS3 for whatever reason
Demos usually that are PSN optional, will now have dedicated demos for titles they both share

BTW:

Sony press conference 2012: "Sony is now partering with onlive to deliver excellent could gaming experience... On the Vita"

You wanted games on Vita, now you have some ;)

glaurung

Considering the quality of my ISP, OnLive will never work on a level that would be comparable to sticking a disc into the machine.

Good for Sony, but I would rather see them upping their PSN Store pre-order/pre-load thing. Bring new game prices to a normal level, let us buy them at the precise launch date, not two weeks or two months after launch. I would prefer that kind of service a whole lot more.

That also eliminates the used games market. Unless you're willing to sell your entire account.

haven't used Gaikai, but onlive coming to PS3 isn't that big of a deal.

Content wise, it's pretty lacking. Saying that, there is a certain appeal to playing Amnesia on a big screen telly with the volume way up and curtains closed.

GraveRobberX

haven't used Gaikai, but onlive coming to PS3 isn't that big of a deal.

Content wise, it's pretty lacking. Saying that, there is a certain appeal to playing Amnesia on a big screen telly with the volume way up and curtains closed.

Only thing that might be iffy is who becomes the content provider if you don't enjoy the service

The cloud service or SEN?

This is gonna need a whole fucking road-map to let us know what it's all about

This might also be a ploy by Sony to swerve the PS4 no BC option (SEN wise)
Hey you can still play your PSN games through Onlive/Gaikai

Top Bottom